#4157532 - 08/14/15 05:07 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Jedi Master]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: Mustang60348
. Someone posted the USN operations manual , I pmed the dev telling him that the manual is subject to Controlled Goods regulations and he told me 'mind my own business'.

That may be, but you're improperly conflating controlled and copyrighted. The US gov't doesn't copyright things and especially not ops manuals.

The Jedi Master

Yup, and and on principal, a manual or any other content that was paid for by taxpayers should belong to said taxpayers for whatever use they wish.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4157553 - 08/14/15 05:57 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
. Someone posted the USN operations manual , I pmed the dev telling him that the manual is subject to Controlled Goods regulations and he told me 'mind my own business'.

That may be, but you're improperly conflating controlled and copyrighted. The US gov't doesn't copyright things and especially not ops manuals.

The Jedi Master

Yup, and and on principal, a manual or any other content that was paid for by taxpayers should belong to said taxpayers for whatever use they wish.

Do you actually believe that or are you just pulling my pisser.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Have a read thru that website and come back and tell me that the us taxpayer can do whatever they want with military equipment and manuals. BTW, CG covers not just US equipment and information but a host of countries. BTW, this is my day job dealing with this stuff.

#4157556 - 08/14/15 05:57 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

The Jedi Master

No I am not conflating them, they are very much linked together when it comes to international trade of arms and information about that arms.

Last edited by Mustang60348; 08/14/15 05:58 PM.
#4157573 - 08/14/15 06:40 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

If the WW2 controversy is anything to go by, I think it's clear that ED only adheres to whatever laws suit them as long as they think they can get away with it. Being located in Russia, I've got a good feeling they won't have any issues breaking American laws.

#4157581 - 08/14/15 07:09 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
This is one of the silliest arguements we had here, and that says a lot.

Is every photographer paying royalties for every plane or cockpit he has photo'd?

Last edited by Remon; 08/14/15 07:09 PM.
#4157587 - 08/14/15 07:53 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Remon]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Remon

Who's arguing?

It's a discussion.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4157592 - 08/14/15 07:57 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Force10]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: Force10
Originally Posted By: Remon

Who's arguing?

It's a discussion.

Give it a page or two.

#4157593 - 08/14/15 08:02 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Mustang60348]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

The Jedi Master

No I am not conflating them, they are very much linked together when it comes to international trade of arms and information about that arms.

Well, for one thing copyright is a civil violation and ITAR is a criminal one. It's as great a gap as trials for murder and wrongful death.

If you give someone information that is controlled, it's illegal. If you give them a photocopy of a document with ITAR info on it, or a recording with ITAR in it, you're not sued by the MPAA or RIAA.

Copyright protects created works. ITAR covers IP that is rarely art. If I tell someone how it works, even if I come up with every word myself, it's still ITAR.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4157613 - 08/14/15 08:45 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

The Jedi Master

Not quite true. ITAR regulations are not to be joked with.

And it has really nothing to do with what you imply. Sorry, but I had to deal a lot with this. (Until I dropped the hot potato to another unlucky soul.) biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4157619 - 08/14/15 09:06 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Copyright is design ownership and classification is distribution restriction. It's totally a different aspect. For example I might paint an accurate painting of Area 51 so I would own the copyright but the US Government would have control of the distribution of classified materials.

So later if it became declassified and the US G sold a copy at auction it would be a violation of my copyright since it's my picture not theirs. However if I distributed the classified painting it would be a violation of distribution restriction even though it's my design I'm not allowed to distribute classified material.

For a government-made manual it's possible to violate CR/IP ownership, distribution restriction, both, or neither depending on the situation. It's a complete 2x2 matrix of possibilities. They are independent and one is not an extension of the other.

Usually the government is way more concerned about the distribution restriction than any IP rights. I'm not even sure if government works aren't automatically public in terms of IP/CR. But regardless of the IP/CR status they can be controlled.

#4157650 - 08/14/15 11:18 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

The Jedi Master

Well, for one thing copyright is a civil violation and ITAR is a criminal one. It's as great a gap as trials for murder and wrongful death.

If you give someone information that is controlled, it's illegal. If you give them a photocopy of a document with ITAR info on it, or a recording with ITAR in it, you're not sued by the MPAA or RIAA.

Copyright protects created works. ITAR covers IP that is rarely art. If I tell someone how it works, even if I come up with every word myself, it's still ITAR.

The Jedi Master

ITARS and Copyrights are very much linked. I deal with this every single day in my job (Military here).

#4158049 - 08/16/15 07:26 AM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Frederf]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frederf
Copyright is design ownership and classification is distribution restriction. It's totally a different aspect. For example I might paint an accurate painting of Area 51 so I would own the copyright but the US Government would have control of the distribution of classified materials.

So later if it became declassified and the US G sold a copy at auction it would be a violation of my copyright since it's my picture not theirs. However if I distributed the classified painting it would be a violation of distribution restriction even though it's my design I'm not allowed to distribute classified material.

For a government-made manual it's possible to violate CR/IP ownership, distribution restriction, both, or neither depending on the situation. It's a complete 2x2 matrix of possibilities. They are independent and one is not an extension of the other.

Usually the government is way more concerned about the distribution restriction than any IP rights. I'm not even sure if government works aren't automatically public in terms of IP/CR. But regardless of the IP/CR status they can be controlled.

Actually when it comes to manuals etc, some (though not all) are produced in conjunction with civilian manufacturers and those companies may have copyright on the material. Anyone subject to ITARS is bound by law to make every effort to protect the IP of those companies.

Either way folks the posting of aircraft manuals is probably not legal and yet even companies like ED don't care as long as they can get the info they need. As far as pictures go they may be illegal as well depending on where and when they were taken. For example, where I work, you are not allowed to take cameras past a certain area of the base and to do so and especially to use it is illegal.

#4158193 - 08/16/15 08:35 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
streakeagle Offline
streakeagle  Offline

Seffner, FL USA
1) US manufacturers absolutely pursue copyrights involving their aircraft.
2) Multiple online vendors sell government flight manuals in pdf form.
3) US manufacturers don't appear to be pursuing legal action or getting a fee for these scanned flight manuals.

Given the above, I am going to take a stab and say that aside from security issues, US military technical manuals are pretty much public domain. You can even request copies via FOIA if you can stomach the government fee for doing so.

forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
#4158295 - 08/17/15 06:09 AM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
nirvi Offline
nirvi  Offline

Switzerland
Gate navigation flight in the L-39/DCS 1.5

#4158326 - 08/17/15 09:57 AM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
What are those graphs running bottom / left corner?
Inflight data recordings, or gaming rig performance tracking ?

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4158341 - 08/17/15 10:45 AM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
nirvi Offline
nirvi  Offline

Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Sluggish Controls
What are those graphs running bottom / left corner?
Inflight data recordings, or gaming rig performance tracking ?

Cheers,
Slug

Flight control and engine debug streaming data from a developer version.

#4158427 - 08/17/15 02:11 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Mustang60348]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

The Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

ITARS and Copyrights are very much linked. I deal with this every single day in my job (Military here).

So you've seen the US gov't take someone to court and get a judgement resulting in a large fine for violating the copyright on a printed document?
You've also seen LockMart send someone to jail for years for leaking a document to a foreign entity?

Or would you say the reverse?

You want to say "derp these two things are linked", fine whatever, but you're wrong because they're different in very meaningful ways.
A private company sues for copyright infringement. The US gov't does not. It doesn't care if you copy Taylor Swift's song.
A private company has no power over ITAR other than reporting violations to the US gov't. The US gov't then takes up the matter.

Again, it's murder versus wrongful death liability. I know because I deal with this every single day in my job (full-time murderer, hit man, and character assassin).

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4158459 - 08/17/15 03:16 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
As a sidenote from an interesting discussion above (although a sidenote more in line with main topic of the thread :D) I'd like to remind that Aero Vodochody is still a Czech company I believe, so US laws and regulations re. manuals, whatever they are, do not apply in this particular case.

#4158497 - 08/17/15 04:42 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: Art_J]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: Art_J
As a sidenote from an interesting discussion above (although a sidenote more in line with main topic of the thread :D) I'd like to remind that Aero Vodochody is still a Czech company I believe, so US laws and regulations re. manuals, whatever they are, do not apply in this particular case.

Don't bother much.

It started with asking reference material, photos of the cockpit of the L-39ZA in this case, which is somehow against copyright laws (how?), then it went way off topic to the discussion of USA laws on military manuals.

#4159090 - 08/18/15 10:34 PM Re: DCS: L-39 Albatros [Re: streakeagle]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: streakeagle
1) US manufacturers absolutely pursue copyrights involving their aircraft.
2) Multiple online vendors sell government flight manuals in pdf form.
3) US manufacturers don't appear to be pursuing legal action or getting a fee for these scanned flight manuals.

Given the above, I am going to take a stab and say that aside from security issues, US military technical manuals are pretty much public domain. You can even request copies via FOIA if you can stomach the government fee for doing so.

With exception (in my case anyway) some of the stuff for the Super Hornet is classified (only Australia gets the exception since it uses it). So while I still think me getting banned a couple months ago was pretty stupid (I'm still trying to figure out how banning me would have stopped Suchoi25 from sending the data, but what do I know?) it goes to show that had I taken the information, I would and could have been in jail, simple as that given US DoD classification policies. Sooo... a lot of the older aircraft would be easy to access but stuff on the F-35, Super Hornet, F-22 isn't and still classified, so no, not everything can be obtained FOIA.

And while on the point of Aero Vodochy, that's very true, but TFC is a US-based company (Wags mainly) so he would be proscuted under US law for any violations of classified material. Eagle Dynamics may not have problems (they're a Russian company) but anything seen as a possible liability to his well being (and can't disagree with that honestly) would be ignored, and not welcomed by him.

But having been in the military for 15 years people get retarded over that stuff, as a matter of fact a female Soldier was going to get punished even though the Battalion chain of command was posting the exact numbers of the battalion I was in, while deployed. The issue was dropped when the chain of command saw it on their own Facebook page (makes you wonder...) and she was quoting from it.

The point is that even when I was doing SME work for the A-10C module I was told specifically not to use classified material, and that wsa back in 2008. So while sometimes ED seems (and is in a way) doing retarded things, they're pretty much doing the right thing avoiding any possible litigation focused on them.

And while you as a player may not give a #%&*$#, most companies do and if that's how they want to do it, then that's how they're going to do it. And hell I'd bounce somebody too if they were inserting classified information into my Strike Fighters 2 version. Boeing so far hasn't contacted me so therefore I'm keeping it that way.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.