Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4158251 - 08/17/15 02:16 AM Calling out a person... is it worth it?  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Basically, I've been a lot more involved in a local gaming club, playing board games and miniature games. There's this one player that just joined and for some weird reason, he just rubs me the wrong way. Too loud. Too much ribbing. I would actually not have minded but then he started talking about having "inside info" on all sorts of stuff. From laser cutting/engraving stuff for the hobby, to dev videos on some known website saying one thing that nobody else I know who is playing the game knows about, to saying he can get this or that item, etc.

When pressed for details, he waves off the question and changes the topic which annoys me greatly. "Oh, there's a video? What site? What date? Send me the link!" ... and I'll not hear from him for days. "Oh, you're getting that? Can you get me a couple of them as well and I'll pay you when they come in? £5 per item sounds good." ... and next thing I know, he's not gone ahead with the order or worse, he did get the order but did not include me because "I did not confirm whether I wanted it or not."

I'm getting a bit fed up with it and I'm really tempted to just call him out on it. Especially because he's saying this board game is getting this change which goes against everything the game maker has been saying thus far. Also, I go to the forums for this game and if what he's saying is true, there would be discussions of this topic as it is a big change. As far as I can see, there is no info from the game maker as yet (his excuse: it was with a dev and it's unofficial at this time but it will happen!!), I can't find the video from the site that he says he saw it on, and there is absolutely no discussion of this on the official game forums.

I think the last straw was that he wanted to sell some of his stuff and I said I wanted a couple of things from his collection. He asked how much the items were going for new and I gave him a price that was easily googled. I asked him what his price was and when I could pick up the stuff. Not heard from him for two weeks. When I finally see him, maybe he's forgotten or whatever but he says he's put them up on eBay. I ask him what happened to our agreement that I was getting some of his stuff and he started arguing that the price I gave him was void because due to the rarity of the item, the model itself was easily 2/3rds of the price I said. With everything else, he could actually sell what was in the box for 1.5x-2x the price I said. He challenged me to google it or search on eBay. I did so when I got home and as far as I can tell, it's out of stock on some places but a lot of eBay sellers are still selling the item, Amazon has the item, and a few reputable online stores has the item. I gave him this information a while ago and have not heard from him yet.

This really annoys me. What's he trying to pull? Should I even bother with it? I cannot understand the situation and that is stopping me from being able to accept whatever it is and move on. Thoughts?

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4158259 - 08/17/15 03:06 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Just stop talking to him, problem solved

#4158261 - 08/17/15 03:11 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Gave up any online gaming in 2001. IL2 taught me a lesson forever.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4158262 - 08/17/15 03:19 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I like super expert man (SEM) - who is really trying hard to compensate for his insecurity. He's the guy that knows all about and even more about whatever is brought up.

Here's the fun. Come up with something that doesn't exist and tell a trusted friend or two about it before unleashing it in the open. Something that sounds somewhat credible but is almost impossible to find at any price. SEM will pounce on it. He'll either have two of them or have some definitive opinion (usually in the negative) about it.

Say absolutely nothing about it. Bask in your secret confirmation that he's a complete tool along with your friends.

So long as he's not genuinely disruptive otherwise, just don't feed the troll otherwise. When he says he has something unique or whatever, just say "hmmm, that's nice," and drop it.

Or take the high road and have a private conversation, gently asking him to tone it down. That usually doesn't work, but it might.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4158271 - 08/17/15 04:00 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
kail Offline
kail  Offline

Leave it, don't play into his game by feeding him. Could be worst and
the guy might turn into a complete a$$ if you challenge (in his mind) his 'special' status. Then what?

#4158274 - 08/17/15 04:05 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Then..then it's Dragons at dawn my friend.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4158283 - 08/17/15 04:48 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I wouldn't even think of doing any kind of business with those sort of people. Socializing, hanging out, fine...

But doing a transaction, that's an entirely different story. Even those we call friends, one time or another all of us had friends we know we can't do business with. Hell, looking at my posting history here and basing only on that I wouldn't even do business with myself.

As for me I'll just keep on ribbing/nagging him to death about that one (during your gaming sessions) until he's the one who pops.

#4158284 - 08/17/15 04:55 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

No reason to call him out per say just refuse to socialize with him. If he is doing an order, no matter how good it sounds, just ignore it. If you are doing an order exclude him. If you are selling something and he wants it tell him no. You are under no obligation to associate with dicks. With that said dont blow it out of proportion either and cause problems in the group.

Last edited by Master; 08/17/15 04:56 AM.
#4158339 - 08/17/15 10:40 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
He's desperate for attention, and apparently is seeking acceptance in your group, as some sort of "got to" guy. Also what Dart wrote. Seems like every larger group or club has one of these people. Usually they are quite harmless, just weird.

Humor him, or ignore him. Definitely don't get worked up over him.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4158343 - 08/17/15 10:48 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: Ajay]  
kail Offline
kail  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ajay
Then..then it's Dragons at dawn my friend.

What do you mean? An African or European Dragon biggrin

#4158345 - 08/17/15 11:04 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I "told" him via Facebook that there were still stocks of the item on eBay/Amazon/etc. Today, I see him make posts on Facebook but he has not replied to what I said. He is ignoring me on purpose and it irritates me.

@ Longbow: I could stop talking to him but I want to verify the info he was talking about.

@ JimK: This isn't online gaming. This is at a gaming club at a FLGS

@ Dart: Holy moly! You got him pegged! When he gets into something (card game, new minis game, new board game), he'll get everything he can on it. Sometimes double or up to quadruple the stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the club well enough to pull off the trickery you suggest.

- Ice
#4158348 - 08/17/15 11:26 AM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
Last night when I went in for dialysis there was a guy there for a quick rinse going to theatre for a cadaver kidney after being on the list for 6 years. We talked a bit and he told me a few years ago his town organised a session for him on the local radio to raise awareness. He got a call from a lady saying she wanted to give him one of her kidneys so they started the process. Him paying for everything of course.

Then she had an issue with rent, he paid,

then a issue with her car, he paid

it went on and on until he called her out and said he cannot continue doing this. He never heard from her again.

Guns have a point and click interface.

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!
#4158366 - 08/17/15 12:53 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted By: Dart
I like super expert man (SEM) - who is really trying hard to compensate for his insecurity. He's the guy that knows all about and even more about whatever is brought up.

Here's the fun. Come up with something that doesn't exist and tell a trusted friend or two about it before unleashing it in the open. Something that sounds somewhat credible but is almost impossible to find at any price. SEM will pounce on it. He'll either have two of them or have some definitive opinion (usually in the negative) about it.

Say absolutely nothing about it. Bask in your secret confirmation that he's a complete tool along with your friends.

There's actually an old Donald Duck comic about exactly doing that.

Otherwise, a gaming club is no marriage. Ignore him.

#4158379 - 08/17/15 01:28 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
There isn't enough time in the day to call out even a fraction of the people out there who are full of @#$%.
If this has occurred to you, then it has occurred to others in the group too. With a group that specialized, you're probably all on the same page.
I'd make a point of cutting him off, changing the subject, ignoring his claims. Not confrontational, but not hiding that you're ignoring his claims.

There is a chance he's an insider and busting at the seams to let the cat out of the bag on some info, and then restrains himself due to an NDA or something.
That chance is MIGHTY SMALL. If he's right, it will come out eventually no matter what, so just regard anything he says as BS until you hear it elsewhere.
People like this are truly mind-boggling. If we understood why they came up with crap like this, then we might all be just as nuts.

The best way to get to someone like that is to make a point of ignoring them. That's also what they need IMO, since calling them out is still attention and pushing them
to say "I can't talk about it" just plays into their delusions.
Or have an admin confront him by PM. Either back up your info or STFU. Don't do it yourself though.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4158408 - 08/17/15 01:54 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
From now on, when he talks to you- Stare at him. Say nothing. After a minute, slowly turn your head away.
He will go away when you fail to play.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4158426 - 08/17/15 02:10 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
There isn't enough time in the day to call out even a fraction of the people out there who are full of @#$%.
If this has occurred to you, then it has occurred to others in the group too. With a group that specialized, you're probably all on the same page.
I'd make a point of cutting him off, changing the subject, ignoring his claims. Not confrontational, but not hiding that you're ignoring his claims.

+1. heheheh I love this one. Used it a couple of times. *Big Grin*

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4158531 - 08/17/15 06:24 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
There is a saying...

"The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference."

This guy clearly craves attention. Set aside whatever urge/need you may feel for obtaining some sort of justice (revealing his apparent dishonesty), and just ignore him.

Don't make any deals with him that involve some future action. If he doesn't have the item(s) present and accept an agreed upon sum at that time, there is no sense in dealing with him.

Life is too short to waste time on such a person, and you certainly don't want to let him live rent-free in your head.

#4158545 - 08/17/15 06:59 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Man, If I ever need a new handle for a game I'm so going to use S.E.M.

#4158551 - 08/17/15 07:12 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: Dart]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: Dart

Yup, I'm a little braggadocios, but you know what? It's all true. What makes me a gentleman about it is I only do that when the time is right, I don't need to make things up to sound impressive, so if I am in a situation that doesn't call for it (like at a bar with a ton of people around me, I'll do it), I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I'm usually very time and location appropriate to it.

I wish I was 15 years younger, because MRSA stole my youth, but I'll tell you something, I sleep well at night knowing I've done what others play video games to experience.

Last edited by Timothy; 08/17/15 09:03 PM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4158552 - 08/17/15 07:14 PM Re: Calling out a person... is it worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Are you sure this guy isn't Sauron or that Navy SEAL? biggrin

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.