#4156870 - 08/12/15 09:52 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: loftyc]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: loftyc
Sgt. Bond Jameson has disappeared. Literally. I had an issue yesterday that I figured I'd fix be reinstalling. No big deal, I've done it before. Except this time, I didn't realize that I forgot to put aside my pilots folder. So he's gone. They're all...gone...

Even worse is that my disc reader, well, isn't; it had lots of trouble with the main files, and it won't even acknowledge my v2 file on the disc that it's saved on. So I'm back to v1.26 until the new hardware gets here. All this just a few days after my 1917 DiD pilot spontaneously combusted.

Loftyc

Get my backup and restore facility from the WOFF User Mods section.

You should alwYs use it to start WOFF. After it backs up or restores pilots it will ask you if you want to launch WOFF.

NO REASON TO FORGET BACKUPS IF U DO THIS.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4156943 - 08/13/15 03:17 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: August 12, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

If there could ever really be such a thing as a good day in a war, then this day would be it. It all started with this morning's sortie. At breakfast, I had a good conversation with Trent and Oscar, the other two pilots in my flight for this morning's sortie, and I explained to them my ideas on how we might better carry out our attacks against the Huns, they were game and actually seemed excited. I also spoke with Tom about what I expected from him and explained that all he needed to do was to shoot straight and I would handle the rest. The morning was beautiful and it wasn't long before we were patrolling deep in Hunland. It wasn't long until I spotted a flight of three Aviatiks and I signaled Trent and Oscar and turned to attack. Tom had already seen the enemy and so he was prepared when I led our flight into the midst of the Hun flight. Almost immediately Tom started banging away at our Hun and I could hear that Trent's and Oscar's observers were doing the same. Here are some photographs of Trent's and Oscar's victories. My victory wasn't as spectacular and I didn't bother with a photograph.

This is the first time since I've been promoted to Flight Commander and flight leader that I've felt that I actually was leading men into battle. I was so proud of my flight that I gave Trent and Oscar a handshake that must have wrenched their shoulders when we landed. The Old man was extremely pleased with out performance and ordered that I begin to coach the other pilots in how to attack the Huns. Our flight destroyed an entire enemy flight, what if we could do that on every sortie? Could that possibly shorten this dreadful war? I firmly believe that the more painful we can make it for the Hun then maybe they will sue for peace and this blasted war will end.

As if this day could get any better, I managed to score my nineteenth victory in the afternoon sortie. I found a cheeky Hun patrolling over St. Omer and I stalked him for more than 30 minutes before Tom sent him packing.

I do miss Edmund, we made a wonderful team, but I do believe Tom is showing quite a lot of spunk and I look forward to working with him. I'll say goodnight as I wrap up a productive day for King and Country.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4157000 - 08/13/15 10:41 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany

„Let me get this right Captain Price, your claiming a Hun Balloon by bombing, correct?”

“Yes, that right. Somewhere west of Menin. I’m sure someone must have seen it go down. It was only few miles over the lines. Went up like very light, err down that is.”

“Anyone near you at that time? Another Squad perhaps?”

“Well…no. You see we left our formation to look for Lorry’s and such, which is why we headed east. It was a bit cloudy too as we used the cover to sneak in as it were. Did you notice anyone Sgt?”

“Err no Sir. It was just like you said Sir, a bit cloudy and I did my best to keep us out of sight Sir.”

“Nathen, just how am I going to sell this one to Wing? They’re going to think I’m mad …or worse.
I know I know, I believe you two. If you say it was hit and sent down then it happened.
Problem is no one saw it I’m afraid.”

“Dolly”

“Sir”

“Get on the blower. Call the Engineers,
if someone saw this Balloon of yours then they would have.
Ask them if they can confirm this morning’s event please.”

“Anything else?.....no”

“Errr, yes just one more thing Sir.”

“Yes Sgt.”

“I noticed that the Hun now has a monoplane in our area.
I spotted two flying south to north. I thought they were ours. They look very similar to the Morane used by No.3 Squadron Sir.
It was just their marking that gave them away Sir.”

“hmmm, a new Hun. We’ll have to keep an eye out then. Thank you Ball.”

“Sir, if I may suggest.”

“Yes Strange, what loony invention of yours this time?”

“Err no Sir. I thought that as we have another line patrol this afternoon,
then perhaps we could fly with two machines together and try to bag another Sausage like this Morning Sir.
I’d say let Sgt.Ball and Cpt.Price take some bombs along and repeat their deed.
I and my Observer could then witness this event and put in a proper claim this time.”

“Splendid idea Strange. You up to it again Cpt.Price?”

“Why yes Sir, of course.”

“Good that’s settled then.
You lot ask Dolly where the next Balloon is, take a couple of bombs and go cook a Sausage with eggs. Not bad what??”

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4157256 - 08/14/15 12:10 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4157382 - 08/14/15 09:31 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany

#4157497 - 08/14/15 03:29 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4157715 - 08/15/15 03:34 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: August 14, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

By George, I think my mates are finally getting the hang of aerial fighting. This afternoon's sortie was a wonderful example of what can be accomplished through teamwork. Lt. Sheeley and myself had been ordered to fly a line patrol sortie in the Loos area and before we left I huddled with Barry and his observer to discuss what each of us would do in any particular situation. We took off and in no time we were orbiting over Loos. In just a few minutes time I spotted a Hun machine that was blatantly flying over our side of the lines and signaled Barry, and turned to engage. It wasn't long before I was in position and Tom started banging away with his Lewis. I knew that Tom had hit him hard in the engine and I began to pull away to begin another firing run. Before I could even manage to do that, Tom was tapping my shoulder and pointing downward. I looked in the direction he was pointing and here came Barry charging in to administer the coup de grace. Tom quickly took a photograph of the Hun right as Barry was finishing him off.

It looks like maybe my mates are finally starting to understand what I've been telling them all along about aerial fighting. When we landed I told Barry that the drinks are on me. It won't be long until everybody has joined in and maybe then we can really start to do some damage to the Hun.

As a side note, I did manage to score my 20th victory in the morning sortie, but in light of the afternoon's happenings I think it's not nearly as important.

#4158062 - 08/16/15 09:14 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany

#4158470 - 08/17/15 03:36 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4159201 - 08/19/15 12:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4160335 - 08/23/15 01:22 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: August 22, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

I'm so furious I could scream. I've been ordered by the old man to start building some fighting spirit in my fellow fliers and what do those idiot bean-counters up in Wing headquarters do, they stifle all of my work. Let me try and explain the situation. It all started two days ago, Oscar and I get ordered to do a line patrol up near Loos and I'm excited about the prospect of what Oscar might do in this sortie. Oscar has been exhibiting more and more confidence and fighting spirit, so to encourage that I'm going to let him take the lead if we encounter any Huns during the patrol. As usual, a Hun comes trundling along not unlike a cow going to the slaughter and before I can even signal Oscar he has already started his attack. As a matter of fact, you can see just how close this poor Hun came to ramming me.

After his successful attack we returned to St. Pol and began our celebrations. I just learned a few minutes ago that his claim has been rejected. He was so overjoyed at his success, this news will crush him. It's as if those idiots at Wing are fighting against us. Why should they care if he gets credit for this victory, they will never lay their life on the line like Oscar will. If he should fall, they won't even notice. Bean-counters, damn them all, they should be lined up and shot. I will just have to explain this to him somehow while still encouraging him. Blast, I hate this job.

I've been promoted to Squadron Commander, but does it really matter? I've no squadron to command, so I'll just continue with my supply paperwork and fly my sorties.

I did manage to score victories number 25 and 26 today, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I'm so focused on trying to get the others to start demonstrating some fighting spirit that my own tally doesn't quite mean as much.

#4160336 - 08/23/15 01:23 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hey, is anyone still producing the tally records? I haven't seen one in a while and I was just wondering.

#4160832 - 08/24/15 11:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4160833 - 08/25/15 12:02 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4160857 - 08/25/15 02:03 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Ken, it looks like it is just you and I flying in the Centenary DID. I haven't heard from anybody else. I wonder what's up?

#4160996 - 08/25/15 02:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama
Banjoman, my guess is the bloom quickly left the rose of flying the early planes for many. On the Brit side, 3+ months of flying a Morane or BE (in 1 RNAS we'll finally move to Nieuport 10s in October, RFC doesn't see anything but Moranes and BEs till May when FEs are deployed to 6 Sqdn (Ambrose's next destination for some variety, though I don't like pushers) French get Nieuport 10s in September, and until then it's Moranes. Germans get EIs in June, but only for high-ranked pilots. So it's a few months in an unarmed Aviatik B1, or a lot of months in the early group, since there's not a lot of chance for promotion when all you can attack with are cutting stares.

The Morane can be used as a combat aircraft (as we've both proven), but without a front gun like a Strutter or Brisfit, two-seaters definitely aren't a ton of fun to take into combat.

I'm still enjoying it, as much because of my "role-playing" of Ambrose and Alvin as anything else. And when they die, as they will someday, I'll be happy to bring in new pilots to get a different perspective on the war. Like my pilots, I'm here for the duration.

But I can certainly see people losing heart on their 87th bombing mission in an unarmed plane...

Last edited by Kuroken; 08/25/15 02:52 PM.
#4161017 - 08/25/15 03:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I've been reading your adventures, good stuff!
I got wrapped up in the N10 C-1 in a non did campaign. Might drop back in when their flight dates coincide with the 1915 calendar.

#4161051 - 08/25/15 04:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I agree with you Ken and like you I'm in it for the duration. If I remember correctly that's why we started this whole thing so that we could experience the whole war.

#4161224 - 08/26/15 01:40 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I'm still in. Flying 2 missions a day with each of my pilots. Just not posting any reports. The scoreboard at least was showing the progress, but even this is MIA for more than a month. Can't wait to get my hands on the N10 - only one more week.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4161235 - 08/26/15 02:19 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Fullofit, you get the N10 in a week? I have to wait until sometime in October. banghead Catknight was doing the reports but I haven't heard from him in a long time, I hope everything is alright with him.

Page 24 of 227 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again