Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
#4155663 - 08/10/15 04:34 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California

neaner biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4156890 - 08/12/15 11:32 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

LOL!

Played, finally.
Got some interesting development! But I need time to write it down and upload pics.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4157236 - 08/13/15 10:49 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

A quick recap:

This is the coming-up research...

And the production queue...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When the good man turns bad, the Devil itself cowers" or "Oppress someone long enough without defeating them and they will revolt for they'll have nothing left to lose."

And so it is.
I can't be sure if the French front is eating precious resources but apparently the iron grip on central Europe is vacillating...
In fact I notice here that the amount of German troops left to guard the "acquired" Swiss regions are quite... few.
And the best part is also leaving...

Quite en masse

Honestly I can only see Militia left.

Probably it doesn't help that bombers are also raining bad news on them...

And then it happens...

The take back one first piece of land.

And push hard for more.

And then more...

Maybe reinforcement are too little, too late

The good eggheads finally churn out something helpful.

On the other hand the French Trench is getting pummeled hard and the ground changes hand quite fast, repeatedly--- in a sad reminder of what was supposed to never happen again...

Taking back the motherland...

This forces me to put on my thinking cap.
The weakest link I had in the front-line against Germany just sealed itself. (Beside the two fortresses I'm building there... See the Production queue)
I'm thinking to use the now redundant troops to reinforce the rest of the now-reduced front.

And maybe mobilize the army to full strength.

And... If they are losing against the Swiss- how would they go against the Proud descendant of the Roman Empire?

Uhm...

On other news...

I also notice that I still have an open question. Albania.

In the days just before the WWII outbreak Italy annexed Albania and the game is kindly "suggesting" me to do it.
I never wanted to do such an brutal act- but couldn't find an option to dismiss it.
And finally I saw it.

One of the condition for the Annexation to happen is to be not allied to them.
Well, off the Alliance proposal goes!

Surely they will not refu...
Dhe Mos më quani Shirley!

Oh.

Beside all this a simple "staff rotation" brought up a good man and removed an- uhm- old one.

---------

It's by re-reading the initial part of this AAR and this very entry that I realize (once more) that I've lost the scope.

Gone, forgotten through all the tech-tree and the ocean of data to study. dizzy

What do I want to achieve?
Survive the war, trying not to kill my population uselessly, while still retaining sovereignty- not a fascist puppet.

We will see.

Last edited by komemiute; 08/13/15 10:51 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4157271 - 08/14/15 01:12 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Wow, France has a lot of divisions in the Swiss mountains.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4157367 - 08/14/15 07:53 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

That's quite true and I just realised that as of late...
I'm wondering how it's working in France.

I noticed how Germany has retreated all of its forces from the common border and yet still it can't break through in France...
AFAIK the Eastern front is quiet as Germany is not at war with the Soviets.

How come it can't muster enough of an Armored Fist to blitzkrieg its way to Paris?!

All that still works pretty well for me as the projection of force dissolved towards me dissolved, Switzerland is pushing them out and I'm apparently unopposed everywhere.

What to do then?

Well- my scope here is to make through all of it and keep my head up.
For this I must definitely work out a better way to research and produce, that is have a proper goal.

I toyed a bit with the idea of pushing all I have toward Jetfighters and Ballistic rockets but... urhm.. reminds me too much of Late-War Germany. I don't really have the resources to achieve it all before war ends.

My real problem is the limited IC and Research points.
I think all I have to do now is keep up with few fields- nominally Mech.Infantry/Combined arms and prop fighters with the necessary training to keep it all more than efficient.

Also- If I really want to be a democracy I somehow have to get rid of the pressure Japan is exerting on me and the German Yoke.

This means one thing alone. Declaring war on them.

*Sigh*

If I don't do that I'm simply getting pushed back into my Fascist corner of the Political Triangle.
Not going to take that.

That's it- I'm afraid.
We'll see soon.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157390 - 08/14/15 10:12 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
What is your officer percentage ? That will be very important if you decide to commit to war . If you have been going real heavy tech you may be low there. Likewise, I would reduce my espionage/intel to have more in research and officers.

Have you tried giving each of the Allied countries transit rights through Italy ? That may help your alignment drift. Can you effect Non-aggression with any Allies ? Just because Albania turned down your offer, they may accept yet in the future. But it does eat up Diplomatic points.

Reduce the force you have on the French border. That will allow France to redeploy a division or two to confront the Germans. Same with Africa.

If you have sufficient Diplomatic points you can give technology to France. That is if you have any area more advanced than France. That will help France's fight as well as your Diplomatic alignment drift. You may be too far separated to allow tech transfer.

Look at your staff. Can you replace any that would be less pro-German ? Any have better economic influence ?

Since your Grand Strategy is to not ally with Germany and to have the Allies do well you have to make some non traditional arrangements. The scope of the game means there is so much to do and so many options and influences.

It certainly would be interesting to see what would happen if you declared war on Germany. Since your Grand Strategy is to eventually get away from the Axis, I can see the rationale. With France doing so well, it could just break the Germans back if you were to do it. Very interesting. So much of your decision is being shaped by the failure of Germany to crush France.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4157397 - 08/14/15 10:36 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: oldgrognard]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
What is your officer percentage ? That will be very important if you decide to commit to war . If you have been going real heavy tech you may be low there. Likewise, I would reduce my espionage/intel to have more in research and officers.

Over 125% and rising. I've actually been told to pay attention to that and I've skeleton-crewed the Espionage (just National Counter-Espionage) and basically flatlined the Diplomat. I've banked that much that I need to start a war and earn some gratitude with favors.

Have you tried giving each of the Allied countries transit rights through Italy ? That may help your alignment drift. Can you effect Non-aggression with any Allies ? Just because Albania turned down your offer, they may accept yet in the future. But it does eat up Diplomatic points.

Yep, in one of the past pages (it was a LOOONG time ago, you're excused wink )I've shown all those I granted to set foot on my land. It helped but in a very minimal way.
Still aiming to get Albania alliance...

Reduce the force you have on the French border. That will allow France to redeploy a division or two to confront the Germans. Same with Africa.

On the French border I've nothing left. Swiss front has limited forces but full spectrum. Thinking about actually redeploy them facing the Annexed Austria.
Thanks to the good infrastructures I can move troops around in little time. Good call.

I'm afraid to remove even more forces from Africa as they're known to revolt quite easily.

If you have sufficient Diplomatic points you can give technology to France. That is if you have any area more advanced than France. That will help France's fight as well as your Diplomatic alignment drift. You may be too far separated to allow tech transfer.

Tried. I can't. Not enough "Democratic" I guess. Plus I'm not even sure I can offer them anything. I'll try...

Look at your staff. Can you replace any that would be less pro-German ? Any have better economic influence ?

Unluckily that's one of the aspects that is pretty much set in stone. My ruling party is Hard Right-Winged and the pool of people I can pick from is basically only even more Right-Radical. What I have is the most "soft" right wing Government I can put down.

Since your Grand Strategy is to not ally with Germany and to have the Allies do well you have to make some non traditional arrangements. The scope of the game means there is so much to do and so many options and influences.

I totally agree. I'm trying all I can (i.e.: Albania and Allied support in Swistzerland). If you're thinking about something else in particular please do help! smile

Last edited by komemiute; 08/14/15 12:43 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157433 - 08/14/15 12:52 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Done- bump.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157439 - 08/14/15 01:06 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Thanks for continuing this. Yes, it's strange that Germany can't repeat the real history against France. But I wonder if you miss something, namely what is going on at sea. Is the German steel production shifted towards U-boats maybe? Or general shipbuilding?

And since you tried everything to get more friendly with the Allies, but are restraint...maybe it's time to tell Mr. A.H. from B. what you really think of him, his parentage, education and general manners.

But it's still risky. Better be ready first. Not ready as in soon(TM), but genuinely ready asap.

#4157448 - 08/14/15 01:25 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Looks like you are doing the steps that I would in your position. Since you are at 125%, you might slide that a bit lower and use the leadership elsewhere.

Hard decision to make on whether to declare war on Germany or not. If you do, that may be the thing that really breaks Germany. Will it be enough to keep France in the war ? Right now it looks like it would. But there is a risk of Germany making the big blitzkrieg and taking down France and then you are screwed.

Another factor is if you do, the U.K. can free forces from the Mediteranean for use in France.

You don't have any major military forces near completion in your production system, so it's not like you are waiting for substantial forces. Even if you start them now, the window of opportunity will probably be passed. You are right about the need to mobilize for a couple weeks before actually committing. Flesh out the divisions and let them come up to full organization. I would still deploy your best unit or two from Ethiopia and North Africa. Two units in Ethiopia can handle uprisings. Even if you would lose Ethiopia, success against Germany would allow you to retake it easily. Everything depends on succeeding against Germany if you take that route.

Risky, but based on your strategy, will the timing ever be better ? I think I would watch France for one more week; if it still looks good, mobilize, and once your forces are fleshed out, Be positioned to go all in. That would be three weeks. If France falls within those three weeks.... well, then a whole new situation.

Talk about an alternate history !

#4157451 - 08/14/15 01:31 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I actually believe that since they started the war quite early on (or were forced to by something) they simply couldn't research correctly superior technology; remember that in the early '40 German tanks weren't superior to the French brigades, was the surprise factor and the Blitzkrieg tactic that granted them those early victories.

Well and numbers too. Germans were ready to start a war. The rest of the future allies weren't.

That said (and throwing in also some good Fuzzy behaviour from the game engine) it isn't so hard to believe that French can't be broken at the moment.

Don't forget that they still almost lost Paris some time ago- and fought hard to regain the territories lost.
I really think some goose-stepping #%&*$# pushed his luck with this and got the worse of it.

And yes, while I'm not bad I can't quite start a war just yet. But soon(tm) for sure.
Thing is, if I attack, I still will have some heavy losses. Mainly because not having that many soldier to put on the table, each soul lost I'd really feel.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157627 - 08/14/15 10:14 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Is there a reasonable chance that declaring war on Japan won't result in Germany declaring war on you?
You wouldn't risk much militarily but it might help you drifting faster towards "liberty".

Even if Germany declares war on you as a result you're the victim then and not the aggressor, and you might confine yourself to defending the Italo-Austrian border. Let the others win the war against Germany. Your concern is not to lose it.

#4157631 - 08/14/15 10:22 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
If you go against Germany try to gain some territory in the Alps - then stop. Let them try to run a Panzer show in that territory. And you will certainly bind some troops. Oh, yes...and it will be bloody and messy anyway.

Having said that, I like Ssnake's idea somehow. Sounds elegant.

#4157636 - 08/14/15 10:39 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Ssnake's idea is sound but I tried already. There's a gameplay mechanic that doesn't allow you to declare war on such a far away nation unless its projection of force (or threat level) is beyond a certain thresold.
Obviously Japan is like one hundredth of that. -_-'

No, the only thing that could stop my drift back towards the fascism is declaring war on Germany.
Being Germany allied with Japan that would stop the influence and would get me back dashing towards Democracy.

As for the terrain, that's a good idea. Mine was actually of not even moving an inch forward, TBH.
My fortifications united to the mountainous regions and Army composition favors drastically the defense.

If I mobilize now, I'm kind of sure that I could hold the line for maybe a whole year.
That mainly if I also start churning out Mountain Infantry divisions and supporting medium armor ones.

That, plus the French/Swiss front would make it such a meatgrinder that I'm quite sure Germany would regret and surrender long before I capitulate.

On top of things Parabellum is now the Emperor of Japan (check his AAR! :D), I'm no match for the man.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157658 - 08/14/15 11:36 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
You might want to save the game under a particular name so you can come back to this point later and see if a different strategy worked any better or worse.

Yes, the game is very good at keeping a level of reality in actions. Very deep, detailed and engrossing game. You got me hooked on it and for the last few weeks it has been a steady play for me.

#4157745 - 08/15/15 06:35 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Historically, trying to annex all of Tyrol (and some of Slovenia) would fit into Italian aspirations I suppose.

#4157764 - 08/15/15 11:31 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
I actually believe that since they started the war quite early on (or were forced to by something) they simply couldn't research correctly superior technology; remember that in the early '40 German tanks weren't superior to the French brigades, was the surprise factor and the Blitzkrieg tactic that granted them those early victories.

If I am not mistaken, the USA is already a member of the allies, and as such also at war with Germany - that could explain the stalemate. No two-front war means Germany may just have enough to hold the line, until their resources run try, I'd guess, or the US war maschine runs on full power, WW1 reloaded.

#4157779 - 08/15/15 12:35 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Aha. True dat.
Forgot about the American Industrial Machine.

smile

I've just saved a savegame that I'm going to open as a German as soon as this is finished.

I'm curious to know what's going on!
Remind me if I forget! wink

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4157934 - 08/15/15 08:54 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
No, the US is not part of the Allies yet. They are neutral until an Axis power attacks them. Right now, they are just the "arsenal of democracy" providing support behind the scenes.

#4158056 - 08/16/15 07:58 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Had to browse a little, but yes, the USA is already member of the Allies and also at war with Germany:
From page 7 and 8

Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.