Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4154767 - 08/07/15 08:57 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
No internet access required at all. It does require at least 256mb ram at the very least.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4154992 - 08/07/15 08:00 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: HeinKill]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
The man had quite a life. Eight children ?!

#4155038 - 08/07/15 11:04 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Indeed. Crazy life. Started as an orphan, grew up in Port Adelaide hanging around ships and sailors. I have a copy of his navy record. Ran away from the orphanage and joined the navy at age 11 (legal age was 15). Got his first 'good conduct' award in 1913. Shipped as'Boy, 2nd class' on the first Australian ship to fire a shot in anger, HMAS Encounter, 1914. By end of the war he was an Ordinary Seaman on HMAS Australia. Left the navy and went into reserves in 1926 with rating of 'Leading Torpedo Officer (electrician)' and joined the railways as an electrician. He was an old man of 37 when WWII broke out and he was called up from reserves again. He was married with four kids by then. His wife got sick and died during the war so when he came back as a Chief Petty Officer he was a widower with four kids and a payout of £212 'war gratuity'.

My grandmother lost her husband in a train accident during the war, and she had four kids. They met not long after the war ended, got married and it was suddenly a family of eight kids. They were married forty years.

Learned to drink whisky in Glasgow in 1940 and never lost the taste. Was promoted to Petty Officer in 1941 and a week later was docked a week's pay for misconduct. Smoked tobacco from a pouch til the day he died. Shaved with a cut-throat he used to sharpen on a leather strap which he always threated to use on us grandkids but never did. Went to church every Sunday, loved gambling and I never once heard him swear.

She died aged 92. A year later we had the conversation where he said he was tired now and just wanted to be with his wife Anne again. He stopped eating and not much later died in his sleep.

If you want a role model for living life, it's hard to find a better one...

H

Crew of destroyer HMAS Nizam, 1941. Jack is the old guy, 3rd row, fifth from right.

[Linked Image]
#4155416 - 08/09/15 10:03 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: Evil Flower]  
imaca Offline
imaca  Offline

Originally Posted By: Evil Flower
We are actually planning a PC port of the title. It'd likely be the same game with some nicer shaders to take advantage of the PC hardware. We'll post more news about this later this fall.

Would be great to have Windows version, in the meantime downloaded and installed on Windows 10 using Bluestacks.
Couldn't figure how to aim guns, but game seems to run fine:)

#4155638 - 08/10/15 02:23 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Not a huge fan of the gunnery. I've been in the New Jersey's Fire Control Center and there wasn't anywhere near the guess work that this game has on gunnery.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4155786 - 08/10/15 01:51 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Nice write-up, Heinkill. As we say, they don't make 'em like they used too.

#4155836 - 08/10/15 03:22 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Nice write-up indeed.
I tried the game out after Heinkill mentioned it in a IL-2 BOS post.
I started with Pacific Fleet "lite" and bought the full version, then Atlantic Fleet.

Re: the gunnery; I can't have an opinion on the realism of the gunnery, but from a gameplay perspective the gunnery in AF is much preferable to the gunnery in PF. In PF, once you outfit with a radar you can pretty much nail anything from any distance. When you strike a hit in AF, taking into account the wind and your previous shots, you get a rewarding feeling of satisfaction when shells connect.

The single feature I've found myself enjoying the most, apart from the Battle of the Atlantic campaign, is the possibility of "wolf pack" tactics with the submarines. It is just as described by Heinkill and is great fun. I've played subsims before which are obviously much more detailed, but this is the first one (to my knowledge) where the player can have 3-5 subs and "herd" a convoy to it's death. I had a very satisfying round last night in which I was able to trap a BB by scaring it towards my other subs which were way out of position.

Continuing the contrast between PF and AF, I find the use of aircraft to be much too easy in PF and too difficult in AF. In PF it boils down to a simple question of timing. In AF, you have to take into account the wind (good) but it is very difficult (at least for me) to determine when the aircraft is properly in position in relation to the target to begin a dive or drop bombload. The only weapon I have used with any modicum of success has been the airdropped torpedo.

I think that the decision to switch to multiple steps (preparation, launch, strike and recovery) for the carriers, was a good one as the carriers were arguably to powerful in PF given that every turn gave a strike opportunity.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4156269 - 08/11/15 02:11 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: Timothy]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Timothy
Not a huge fan of the gunnery. I've been in the New Jersey's Fire Control Center and there wasn't anywhere near the guess work that this game has on gunnery.

Interesting. Not sure when you were on NJ but i guess it was continually refitted from the 40s to the 80s. The ships in this game are pre and early WWII.

H

[Linked Image]
#4156371 - 08/11/15 06:04 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: HeinKill]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Originally Posted By: Timothy

Interesting. Not sure when you were on NJ but i guess it was continually refitted from the 40s to the 80s. The ships in this game are pre and early WWII.

H

Last year the end of this month. The main battery FC system is the same as was originally installed.

Everyone should check out the turret tour. It used to be an interesting place to visit, but now that they cut open the lower turret to let people go through the guns, it is a must see. They'll even take you to The Broadway and allow you to see the engines.

Last edited by Timothy; 08/11/15 06:06 PM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4156404 - 08/11/15 08:24 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
The problem if you automate the gunnery too much is that, because we can't have 100% hit rate, it takes on the character of dice rolls where it comes down more to chance than skill whether or not you land a hit. We had a fully automated system in one of the early builds but it just wasn't fun. I personally feel the current gunnery system is a decent compromise between realism and fun given the turnbased nature of the game. And when you play it, your hit rate is still going to be magnitudes better than it was in WW2.

#4156668 - 08/12/15 01:46 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: Evil Flower]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
And when you play it, your hit rate is still going to be magnitudes better than it was in WW2.

Speak for yourself big fella. I find I'm pretty historical in my (in)accuracy!

I found a record from a prewar US Force Battle Practice gunnery trial of USS Colorado vs Maryland vs West Virginia which showed a hit rate of 3.7% for West Virginia to 5.4% for Maryland (out of 7 salvos/56 shots) and an average error of 93 yards for West Virginia to 680 yards for Colorado.

Those numbers are right in my ballpark!

H

[Linked Image]
#4158664 - 08/18/15 01:25 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Thanks for the wrteup, HeinKill. In 10+ years of SimHQ participation, this is the first product of any kind that I have purchased purely from a review. Glad I did. Having a great time.

#4158777 - 08/18/15 11:48 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
For ten bucks its hard to go wrong isn't it?

[Linked Image]
#4159071 - 08/18/15 09:45 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Absolutely. You were spot on about the air element of the game. I think it would be much more fun simply to select a target, assign it to 1-4 planes and let them attack (or get shot down) self-flown. The launch/attack/recover sequence is something of an immersion-killer. A small quip in an otherwise nice experience thus far.

#4163846 - 09/01/15 02:28 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: Para_Bellum]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
We are actually planning a PC port of the title. It'd likely be the same game with some nicer shaders to take advantage of the PC hardware. We'll post more news about this later this fall.

The moment you release this on the PC it's an instant buy for me.

+1

#4165914 - 09/06/15 10:36 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: RacerGT]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Having lots of fun with this game on my iPad. Definitely the best tablet game out there, closely followed by F-Sim Space Shuttle and Astronaut Spacewalk.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4174281 - 09/28/15 10:41 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet: Review and Interview [Re: Evil Flower]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Nice review and awesome write up about your Pop Heinkill. Evil Flowers quote below seemed to fit in well when i was reading down the topic biggrin

Originally Posted By: HeinKill

Yes, Grandpa Jack had a long life, died at 93 and he summed it up like this when I spoke to him just before he died (his wife had just passed away):

"Since I was born I've seen houses go from oil lamps to electricity, transport from horses to cars, balloons to jets, I've fought in two world wars against Germans, Japanese and Italians, had two ships sunk under me, watched the fleets assemble for the signing of the peace treaty in Tokyo Bay, lived through the cold war, the bomb, seen man land on the moon, invent radio, colour movies, television and the computer, buried two wives, had eight children and about twenty grandchildren...I'm getting a bit tired."

No internet access required at all.

Looking forward to a pc version, i just cannot get into gaming on small screens, my minimum deal now is my bargain bin 42 inch flat screen..i couldn't even go back to a 24 smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.