Destraex  Offline

An article on naval action and game labs
http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10252

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4154421 - 08/06/15 04:59 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I have to say, I love the game engine, the manual sailing etc, and the concept of an open world, but I do hope that the community will be a bit more bearable - I remember being rapidly sick of the Pirates of the Burning Sea community (who also managed to push away my wife in about 2 days by harassing her and spamming her non stop because she was a female player...) who seemed to take themselves always so seriously while doing their best effort to scare any newcomers rapidly (I actually persisted a bit but the atmosphere was just too toxic on the long term). In my opinion, POTBS remains the worst community I've ever seen in a game, by far (although perhaps in a tie with the DayZ one), my benchmark for deciding how fast to run away.
Currently I'm getting a terrible feeling of deja vu in Naval Action, and one only needs to see the level of interactions between players on the official forums to be worried. I hope things will change, which is still possible given that Naval Action is not currently open to everyone (I'm glad that it's the case, because that's the image that the game should give to newcomers)...

#4154866 - 08/07/15 02:40 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

WOW.... an interesting story really.
In naval action so far the community has been fairly ok.

Before I go on I should mention that their are plenty of AI and there are also areas in game where higher tier vessels cannot enter... shallows so to speak.

Now I will tell you a story however:

Watch out around Le Moule, I just got overtaken and ganked by not one but two pirate constitutions. Double my crew and faster than me. They got me before I had learned my new ship which was finally fully crewed as well. I am betting they had all the best upgrades. I was told by the French fleet that they were seen yesterday doing the same thing in a victory and a bellona. I kept them at bay for over 30 minutes though. But because they were taking turns to fire at me while the other continued chasing and were faster than me anyways there really was no way out. Perhaps once I know the ship better I may be able to find a place in the wind they cannot follow me to.
They were nice enough to admit it was not a fair fight but said they were happy to take my ship because "game mechanice"... pirates will be pirates I guess but should not have access to this pocket battleship class of ship or the SOL classes.
P.S. They seemed to be faster in the open world but be advised that it was my fault they got me as I ran into an island while watching them chase!! One of my five lives in this ship gone.

Last edited by Destraex; 08/07/15 02:57 PM.
#4154872 - 08/07/15 02:47 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. Think command your own sailing warship. PICs inside. [Re: Destraex]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I recommend speed mods for your Belle Poule. I get 16+ knots from mine, a Connie will have a difficult time catching up to that.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4154895 - 08/07/15 03:47 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. Think command your own sailing warship. PICs inside. [Re: Destraex]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

This was a Rennomee with 6pdrs
She already does 15.5kts

Last edited by Destraex; 08/07/15 03:48 PM.
#4154931 - 08/07/15 05:41 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. Think command your own sailing warship. PICs inside. [Re: Destraex]  
paf_eaf310 Offline
paf_eaf310  Offline

Wow, I really wonder what kind of modules they had. Isn't the Renommeé the fastest frigate?

#4155099 - 08/08/15 04:47 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. Think command your own sailing warship. PICs inside. [Re: Destraex]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

I sail a Lynx so I stay in shallow waters. I only pounce on small vessels. If I take hits I run,still there are surprises. Maybe because its still testing ? I got into fights with 6 small ships attacking 2 small Frig,s . Another time The game showed a single ship so I attacked it became a Snow and a Brig. With all that said, I have sunk 2 ships and I am still sailing the same ship.

imgurl

#4155123 - 08/08/15 09:30 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Jonnyz Offline
Jonnyz  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Currently I'm getting a terrible feeling of deja vu in Naval Action, and one only needs to see the level of interactions between players on the official forums to be worried. I hope things will change, which is still possible given that Naval Action is not currently open to everyone (I'm glad that it's the case, because that's the image that the game should give to newcomers)...

Hmm
Can you elaborate a little more about your statement on Naval Action community and give examples? We will investigate

I am one of the mods there and the interaction seems very helpful and friendly
It was commended multiple times: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2112-important-chat-politeness-and-such/

There are only three exceptions: when sandbox freedom or ganking is discussed. or when someone comes in and says your game sucks.

Last edited by Jonnyz; 08/08/15 09:31 AM.
#4155273 - 08/08/15 08:16 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I don't know Jonnyz, when I raised a flag about not liking the compressed time and instances mechanism, suggesting instead instead a smaller area in real time with no instances, I was basically run out by the fan-boys. I haven't been back to the forums since. It's a beautiful game to look at in screenshots though.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4155625 - 08/10/15 12:50 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

Paul what is your handle over at the Game-Labs forums?

#4155723 - 08/10/15 09:16 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Paul Rix]  
Jonnyz Offline
Jonnyz  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
I don't know Jonnyz, when I raised a flag about not liking the compressed time and instances mechanism, suggesting instead instead a smaller area in real time with no instances, I was basically run out by the fan-boys. I haven't been back to the forums since. It's a beautiful game to look at in screenshots though.

I wonder what your original post was? Can you show me the link to the post? I am sure everything in the world can be explained.

Regarding your suggestions:
devs said multiple times that if you want 1000-3000 player ships in the caribbean sailing simultaneously, you cannot have a small world and cannot have non-instanced combat with very complex damage model and ballistics for every cannonball. People want large world and lots of enemies to fight with. Thus large world and instances. It was proven multiple times in the current test and player love it.

You came with the request to change something people love why do you think they reacted that way. If you asked for help with shooting or trading you would get a lot of support and advice both from devs and players. If you attack things people love why do you expect a friendly welcome?

Btw. Fans exist in every game. Try for example coming to Star Citizen forums and asking them to change the payment model. Or flight model. I am sure the reaction from the SC community will be much worse than you encountered on NA forums. Apple fans are the same. That means there are some people who absolutely love the product. Which means it is a great product for someone.

Last edited by Jonnyz; 08/10/15 09:19 AM.
#4155923 - 08/10/15 05:44 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I didn't attack anything or anyone. I just stated an opinion, which I mistakenly thought was as valid as that of any other over there. We all paid into the game after all and I figured that at this early stage in the game's development all opinions and observations were valuable. The exchange took place when open world was first opened to the larger group, so only the elite few up to that point could claim to 'love' the system. Why does an opposing opinion automatically become seen as an "attack" ?

It is obvious that NA isn't the game I hoped for. That's the way is goes I guess with early access. You pay your money and roll the dice. This time it didn't work out for me. That's ok.

Last edited by Paul Rix; 08/10/15 05:44 PM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4156156 - 08/11/15 08:43 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Hmmm... I've been active on the NA forums for quite some time and I consider it one of the most mature, civilized forums out there. As everywhere, when passions are involved sometimes the discussion gets lively, but I can't recall a civilized post ever getting the kind of flak you're mentioning.

Just yesterday a new player wrote a post about world size and ship speeds and while people didn't agree with his reasoning it was all very polite.

It would be a terrible waste IMO to scrap a game with amazing potential simply due to some bad experience on the game's forum IMO.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4156375 - 08/11/15 06:14 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
PB, I didn't scrap it because of the forum exchange, but more to the point, the design mechanic isn't what I am looking or was hoping for. I'll check in once in awhile to see what progress has been made, but I doubt I will seriously get into the game.

Carl Sagan
#4156850 - 08/12/15 08:41 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Finally got my Bellona!

ahoy

#4157093 - 08/13/15 03:06 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
paf_eaf310 Offline
paf_eaf310  Offline

Eine wirklich schöne Vierundsiebziger!

#4157102 - 08/13/15 03:29 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

Nice... How many hours?

#4157104 - 08/13/15 03:43 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
118 hours according to Steam.

biggrin

But most of that was back in Sea Trials. Earning money is actually quite easy at the moment. I was easily getting 5-10k gold each battle in frigates.

#4158290 - 08/17/15 05:42 AM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Sorry, I wrote my post just before a very busy week at work followed by travelling to a conference, so I didn't get to read this topic anymore until now.

To be clear, I find the devs and moderation to be very nice and friendly, no problem there, and I think most players on the forums are probably quite nice. When I wrote my post, I was worried by some vocal clans in the Brit and American factions which seemed to be involved in systematic ganking (or at least were accusing each other of doing so). These clans sounded very similar to the sort of players that made me leave POTBS (in fact I think some of them came from POTBS), hence I was worried that the same thing might be happening in Naval Action in the future - let's hope that it won't be the case, because I really like Naval Action, it's got great potential (even though I'd still prefer it in a single player experience I think).

In any case, it looks like it was an isolated issue, with a couple of topics on the forums (and heated arguments in game apparently) which have now died down. I certainly agree that there are worse communities out there currently - I wouldn't want to spend anytime reading the Star Citizen forums for example!

#4159349 - 08/19/15 05:33 PM Re: NAVAL ACTION - Pre-Order up. [Re: Destraex]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Since there will be a hard wipe of stats and accounts next week in preparation for the crafting prototype the devs have gifted all accounts with 1.000.000 gold and enough EXP to make it to rear admiral. If you ever wanted to test drive a Victory or Santissima, log in and have some fun!

ahoy

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 08/19/15 05:33 PM.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.