Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4154793 - 08/07/15 12:04 PM Dovetail prepare new FS 2016 (Flight! tech)  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
From your press release:

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/a...-with-microsoft
Quote:
Chatham, Kent – 4th August 2015 Dovetail Games, the multi award-winning developer and publisher of a range of simulation games today announced plans with Microsoft to bring a number of its future releases to Windows 10 and Xbox One.

In addition to Dovetail Games Fishing, the company plans to bring two of its next generation products to the platform; the next iteration in the Train Simulator series, which is due in 2016 and will be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and Dovetail Games Flight Simulator, built on the foundations of Microsoft’s award-winning Flight technology[/b].

Dovetail Games Fishing and the new Train Simulator will also be seen first on console on Xbox One, via the ID@Xbox self-publishing program.

“Expanding our business to embrace new opportunities is key to our ongoing success, and we are delighted to be collaborating closely with Microsoft,” said Paul Jackson, CEO of Dovetail Games. “Microsoft, of course, has a rich heritage in simulation entertainment, thanks to their experience with the Flight Simulator franchise, and we feel confident our products will be well received both on Windows 10 and Xbox One by a new generation of players looking to pursue their passion.”

Chris Charla, Director at ID@Xbox added, “We’ve always been huge fans and supporters of the simulation genre and its place in the gaming ecosystem, and Dovetail Games’ understanding of this space through the breadth of their portfolio is second to none. We’re very excited to have them on board and look forward to bringing their games to our platforms.”

Dovetail Games Fishing is currently available on PC through Steam.

Dovetail Games Flight Simulator is set for release in 2016. For flight sim enthusiasts and gamers looking for a deeply immersive flight game, it promises to deliver the ultimate pilot’s experience, taking them on a journey from novice to pro pilot.

The next generation of the Train Simulator franchise is currently in development, utilising Unreal Engine 4 technology and promising to bring rail fans a new, state-of-the-art train simulation experience. The game is scheduled for release in 2016.

For the latest news and developments, please visit www.dovetailgames.com.

More News to the Front
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4154834 - 08/07/15 01:47 PM Re: Dovetail prepare new FS 2016 (Flight! tech) [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Hmmm. Not sure what to think here. My fear is that this will just be a re branded/re marketed "MS Flight"; basically DT doing with Flight what they did with FSX on steam. The biggest indicator of this being the case, is how soon we can expect to see it. I would think that a true FSX successor would take way more than a couple years for such a small outfit to build up.

To be clear,choosing to base the game on "flight technology" (by which I presume they mean MS Flights engine, which has roots in FSX) doesn't automatically equal a poor product. Flights main failing was the moronic business model it was shackled to, including MS giving the finger to the third party market that has propped up the franchise for so many years.

The lesson to be learned from that is don't be greedy; don't try to be the soul content channel for your open-world flight sim, or that world will grow stale VERY quickly.

DT is playing nice with FSX on Steam so far, which is a good sign, but I am nervous about the XBO offering for this forthcoming "sim."

The single source DLC/console game model works for a title like the forthcoming red bull racing game where there's a clear activity and objective, but open world civilian sims like FSX are based on trying new things/going new places.

Also, it's hard to imagine a console game with the kind of UI that allows for complex flight planning, navigation, and communication, owing mainly to is source of input: the controller. A controller works great for car games, but you really need a KB to help manage all the complex aircraft functions a flight sim requires. With out those complex tasks, it's hard to imagine having lots of long-term fun in a Civilian flight sim.

And if you alienate the hard-core audience, you'r civilian sim is doomed. Your typical console audience will look at something like a civilian flight sim and think "wait, I don't get to shoot stuff, what's the point?", and your civilian sim audience will say "wait, you don't offer complex aircraft management, what's the point?"

Here's hoping DT manages to add flights critically missing feature: a reason to exist...

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4154946 - 08/07/15 06:11 PM Re: Dovetail prepare new FS 2016 (Flight! tech) [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Originally Posted By: Silver_Dragon
Dovetail Games Flight Simulator, built on the foundations of Microsoft’s award-winning Flight technology
[/quote]

What awards did Flight ever win ?

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4158617 - 08/17/15 10:16 PM Re: Dovetail prepare new FS 2016 (Flight! tech) [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Quote:

Microsoft’s award-winning Flight technology

LOL biggrin

#4158676 - 08/18/15 02:13 AM Re: Dovetail prepare new FS 2016 (Flight! tech) [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe
Originally Posted By: Silver_Dragon
Dovetail Games Flight Simulator, built on the foundations of Microsoft’s award-winning Flight technology

What awards did Flight ever win ?

* First still-born MS Flight sim - released Feb 2012, cancelled July 2012
* Biggest missed opportunity sim disappointment of 2012
* Most arrogant product manager - MS Flight Product Manager Josh Howard 2012 - who always found a way to insult "hardcore-simmers" whenever interviewed about Flight

While I'm keeping my hopes in check for FS 2016, Flight did have some nice improved flight dynamics and graphics improvements that would have made a great base for FS11, and Dovetail has done a nice job improving FSX-Steam Edition and fixing some of the long standing memory issues, it actually works better than ever, so I will be interested to see what they do with it.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.