Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4146474 - 07/14/15 04:52 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Carcassonne definitely is a great game, one of the instant classics. I can only recommend it.

But it's a pure boardgame, devoid of any RPG elements.

Galactic Civilizations is a great classic. Again, no RPG elements, but relatively simple yet elegant in its design which allows for quite varied game sessions.

You may also like Glory to Rome. Relatively complex rules, but an excellent strategy game.

Finally, Dominion is marvelous in design. By picking your sample of cards the strategy to win a game is different every time. A true masterpiece.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4146476 - 07/14/15 04:55 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Axis & Allies was the last board game I played a lot and that was during my high school and college years.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4146482 - 07/14/15 05:11 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Coot]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Coot
Thanks Ssnake. Yes, I don't want anything that has pretended magic or acting out activities that can only be described as occult or ritual. I guess by RPG I mean where the player is allowed freedom to create their character's story and perhaps some of the game's base lore as they go. I suppose this can be done in any game for fun if all players are in agreement.

I found a youtube channel hosted or run by that dude Wesley from Star Trek the Next Generation. He's kinda fruity but pretty funny. His channel appears to be all about board games. One I found on Amazon that is also played/reviewed on his site is this one that looks fun:

Carcassonne: New Edition

How about an RPG about being a smuggler in the Star Wars universe?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire/

I used to play SW RPGs a long time ago and they were pretty fun with the right group of friends (knowledgeable of the SW universe), and I collected tons of figurines and props during that time (all sold/gone now).

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Roleplaying-Rulebook-Edition/dp/0786943564

http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Core-Ruleb...WA194CG81FP75YH

Unless The Force counts as magic, that is.

#4146517 - 07/14/15 06:21 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
7 Wonders is a great party game that is easy to pick up and quick to play.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4146635 - 07/14/15 09:55 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
FourSpeed Offline
FourSpeed  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Hmmm...

I used to play Axis & Allies a lot until we got into a bit of a rut, whereby the Axis would always lose when the Allies played England and Russia with the strategy that England would basically just bomb Germany's production capability into oblivion, and Russia would build as many cannon fodder troops as possible to prevent being overrun early by Germany's initial tech advantange.

While a slow starter, eventually, Germany couldn't build enough units to either A> prevent being bombed back into the stone age, or B> force a takeover against the bajillion troops Russia would build up... At that point, the USA's increasing production would result in them mopping things up while keeping Japan spread out in the Pacific. IIRC, I don't think the Axis ever won a game, in our group, after we hit on that strategy ... which eventually, of course, stopped us playing it altogether.

Apart from that, the board-game I probably had the most "fun" with was a game called "Acquire". The games were short (typically about an hour or so), easy to play, but tricky to master, and cutthroat as hell. For a simple game, there was a subtlety to it that kept us entertained for countless evenings...

Regards,

#4147418 - 07/16/15 08:35 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: Wedge
Do you guys/gals play any board games (aside from the ones that most retail store sell such as Monopoly...

Do not gloss over Monopoly. There is no game like Monopoly that I have seen which arouses emotions in people. People can take this game so personally, as if they're playing with real money and property or as if winning and losing were actually tied to their business acumen as a sort of indicator of their abilities to survive. If you delight in watching people getting upset when you take their resources, in addition to the satisfaction of winning, this is a game like no other.

The last time I played with a couple of friends and one of their girlfriends, this guy was cutting deals with his girlfriend that they wouldn't have to pay each other if they landed on each other's property. Awww... True love conquers all.

Then when I made a property swap with him which kind of made his original deal with his girlfriend useless, he became cuthroat and told her he would no longer agree to his arrangement with her. So she gets up crying and says, "You guys..sniff...sniff...are taking this way too seriously, and I can't take it anymore..." She runs out of the room nearly hysterical. The rest of the players are laughing, her boyfriend is laughing, so he goes off after her and does relationship maintenance and we can all hear him consoling her in the other room and saying, "Look, they're just animals, these guys are not fun to play around with because they're selfish a-holes like you said." So he comes back and we make fun of him because we heard what he said, and he's laughing, because he knows he's a phoney. Just five minutes earlier they were both on cloud 9 because they thought they had some arrangement that made them an unstoppable force.

I remember a friend who wanted to play, and then during the game it hit too close to home as was having his own real life financial troubles, and it was starting to affect him. I've seen people throw the money and throw the tokens and hotels out of exasperation. Really strange to see.

#4147437 - 07/16/15 09:59 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Ticket to Ride we play a lot
Monopoly
Scrabble
Risk (obviously)
A game called Munchkin
A couple of my kids just started playing Dungeons and Dragons (like from 1980)

I've written before we are pretty limiting with TV and video in my house so games and playing outside are two big things for the kids.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4147439 - 07/16/15 10:02 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Oh....if you can find it, and have about a jillion years to figure out the rules on energy, etc., Air War by TSR is a great board game.

Not a board game but similar would be Ace of Aces series. We have those and still play them on long car trips.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4147850 - 07/17/15 06:54 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
FrenchToast Offline
FrenchToast  Offline

QuebecLand
So many games, so little time...

Not even a complete list...

FT

#4147854 - 07/17/15 07:04 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
When I was in college I had the board game version of "Harpoon". I really tried to get into it but with hundreds of different cardboard counters to keep track of and all of the number crunching involved I opted to go the PC game version route. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4147856 - 07/17/15 07:23 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
There is a show called Tabletop by Wil Wheaton where he plays board games with others, usually actors.

Tabletop

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4147864 - 07/17/15 08:04 PM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

#4149668 - 07/23/15 07:30 AM Re: Board games... [Re: Wedge]  
Fille_SWE Offline
PSN: Fille_SWE
Fille_SWE  Offline
PSN: Fille_SWE

Sweden
Flames of war. Table top ww2 game.
I think there is a game called x-wing or x-wing armada. With really cool models out there. I was buying paints for warmachine and noticed those starwars ships on a shelf. Dident have time to look closer thou

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.