Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4150801 - 07/27/15 01:16 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Guys - and I can't stress this enough - if you already like Empire vanilla then I'm tellin' ya that Darthod is like vanilla x 5!1!1

Just get it already.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4150899 - 07/27/15 01:00 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Oh, I just remembered another complaint of mine with the Total War games and ALL of them do this.

Shattered, retreating infantry units somehow always manage to run faster than my confident and victorious infantry units. I think Creative Assembly does that on purpose in order to force you to use cavalry to chase down retreating enemy units.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4150994 - 07/27/15 03:57 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In Shogun 2 there is a tech that increases run speed. So I imagine if you have it and the enemy doesn't you might catch up, eventually.

About your Prussia comments I agree, aside from the England bit. I'm around 1730 and have built but a single ship, just to quickly move troops about my realm. I could use a navy, but can't afford it. War with Sweden means blockades, and I have no means to counter it. England is my ally, but they never send any ships in to the Baltic. Matter of fact I have yet to see any of my allies do anything to help aside from attacking enemies that happen to enter their homeland.

Earlier you mentioned the inexplicable slowdowns in Empire. Was it on the campaign map? I ask because I got this too, but only when trying a non-native resolution (I also tried hardware shadows, but turned that off and returned to native res and it was smooth again)

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4151001 - 07/27/15 04:25 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: DBond

Earlier you mentioned the inexplicable slowdowns in Empire. Was it on the campaign map? I ask because I got this too, but only when trying a non-native resolution (I also tried hardware shadows, but turned that off and returned to native res and it was smooth again)

Yes, the slowdowns almost always happened in the campaign map. I was using the correct resolution for my monitor but I may have also b een using hardware shadows.

By the way, your military allies in Attila work really great. They will often actually attack an army or city that you have designated as a mutual war target. In Empire and Napoleon though forget it. Your military allies don't do crap.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4151110 - 07/27/15 09:50 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
This discussion has me kind of itching to play both Empire and Napoleon again. I played them both sometime late last year, but several months ago had to re-install my OS due to some issues and since haven't re-installed either game.

I did have a few minor mods installed for both,and hope I retained them on my external hard drive. For both games I had alternative music and most importantly had a no weather mod for both. Since the Steam mod workshop doesn't function with those games, it is not quite as easy to find and apply various small mods.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4151157 - 07/28/15 01:59 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I actually never noticed those campaign map slowdowns until my latest game. It is frustrating and always happens to me along the East coast of North America.

I have really been enjoying Britain's naval superiority this time around. Have gotten into some downright slug-fests with the Spanish but, unfortunately, I am almost out of adversaries now. I never usually finish Total War campaigns because of this, but I am dedicated to completing this one, lol.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4151189 - 07/28/15 03:48 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: Barkhorn1x
Guys - and I can't stress this enough - if you already like Empire vanilla then I'm tellin' ya that Darthod is like vanilla x 5!1!1

Just get it already.

Never cared for DarthMod. Too many changes were plain arbitrary, and I never felt his tactical AI mods actually made the AI any harder (not really his fault, other than that he claimed it did).

#4151244 - 07/28/15 11:07 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm not a programmer but I also realize that it is very difficult to create a truly intelligent AI so I still enjoy the TW games a lot even with the AI limitations.

It just bugs me that playing a TW campaign on a higher difficulty just means that the AI get extra stat bonuses to their morale and you get less money and higher public order penalties. They're all just arbitrary changes.

#4151293 - 07/28/15 01:15 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: Forward Observer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm enjoying Empire. What stands out for me in comparison to other TW games I've played are the battles. In other TW games, where the armies are mostly melee, it was a matter of smashing my formation in to the enemy formation and getting cavalry around behind. The gunpowder armies in Empire though makes it, for me, much more tactical. I'm much more aware of terrain, and trying to use it to my advantage. I spend much more time maneuvering my regiments as well. Bottom line is the battles in Empire are the most enjoyable and interesting of the TW titles I've played. Total war is apt, there has been no peace and little diplomacy. These were always my complaints about TW series, and I won't draw comparisons with EU IV, but the fun battles make up for the campaign shortcomings.

The campaign AI and campaign in general is much the same as all of the others for me. I sort of wish I hadn't chosen hard campaign AI. Everyone is so aggressive toward me, and as PM I believe mentioned earlier, seem to focus only on me. It makes it challenging, but also difficult to develop my nation from an infrastructure and economic standpoint. We seem to be miles ahead in tech, but all the AI nations are far advanced in buildings. I guess it 's because they get more money while I spend most of mine on refit and repair. The upshot it that expanding nets me better cities than I had already.

I do sort of miss the Medieval 2 system of military castles and civilian towns. I liked being able to build armies in a single location, as opposed to recruiting artillery in Prague, cavalry in Vienna and infantry in Berlin. But it's the same in Shogun 2 of course.

I'm glad I picked it up, it's fun, if a bit over the top with non-stop warfare, but ignoring that, probably the most fun I've had in the TW series.

#4151331 - 07/28/15 01:47 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I'm glad I picked it up, it's fun, if a bit over the top with non-stop warfare,

What's interesting is that if you look at the history of the 18th century, the major powers of Europe were at war not quite non-stop but close to it!

Let's see,

War of the Spanish Succession
War of the Austrian Succession
Seven Year's War/French-Indian War
American Revolutionary War
French Revolutionary wars
Great Northern War

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.

#4151363 - 07/28/15 02:49 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's true of course. In my game what I'm finding is that I eliminate enemies, there are few border wars for example, or limited wars that result in a province changing hands and both sides calling it a day. In this Prussia game I could only eradicate Poland. They would not accept any peace deal even when they were down to their last province, which happened to be Constantinople. So now they are relegated to to history. But at some point they should have been eager for peace. I've avoided making comparisons to EU IV, but this area is one where it's miles ahead. AI nations factor in besieged and occupied territory, relative strength of alliances, state of manpower, length of war, war exhaustion and much more when 'deciding' whether they want to make a peace deal. And the negotiation options available are far more comprehensive. You can choose to release sovereign nations, create vassals, annex territory, demand trade power or fleet basing rights, force religion, return core provinces to allies, and a myriad of other options. In Total War, it is indeed! Not that TW is bad, it's just much more limited, more simple, in it's approach to diplomacy and peace negotiations.

But on the battlefield EU IV doesn't come close to TW, and that's where it shines. And for those unfamiliar, there is no 3D battle layer in EU IV, it's all fought as abstractions using dice rolls. It works, but its nowhere near as fun and engaging as the battles in Empire.

#4151374 - 07/28/15 03:13 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And for those unfamiliar, there is no 3D battle layer in EU IV, it's all fought as abstractions using dice rolls.
Oh wow that is indeed dull imho. I do occasionally auto-resolve in the TW games though if the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor.

#4151812 - 07/29/15 04:12 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, battles are not the strength of that game, but it handles most other things well.

Does anyone change government in Empire? I tried switching to a republic, but I guess I wasn't ready for it as my income fell drastically and unrest increased, so I reloaded and stayed an absolute monarchy.

I'm at the point in this Prussia game where I can finally start thinking about having a proper navy. From time to time I am losing serious ducats in trade, I imagine because pirates are raiding the trade routes, so I'd like to send out a navy to counter them and keep the trade routes open. Any advice on what sort of composition a pirate-hunting navy should be? Like what type of ships and how many?

I see some nations, Ottomans (my ally) for example, and the flag on the ship unit fades from the Ottoman to pirate and back to Ottoman again. Does this mean they could be affecting my trade? They are a trade partner of mine.

#4151838 - 07/29/15 05:02 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
and the flag on the ship unit fades from the Ottoman to pirate and back to Ottoman again. Does this mean they could be affecting my trade? They are a trade partner of mine.

Yes. It means that Ottoman fleet is raiding that trade route. If you put the mouse cursor on the trade route line it should show you which nations are using that route. It is possible to negatively affect the trade route of an ally since many trade routes are often used by different nations. If the trade route line is colored red it means that it's only being used by nations you are at war with.

#4151969 - 07/29/15 10:34 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
As far as a pirate hunting navy is concerned, it totally depends on the pirates you are fighting. The Pirates faction tends to use Galleons and Fluyts, for which you will need 5th rates (at a minimum) to be competitive. The Barbary Pirates use smaller vessels, but you shouldn't underestimate them. They often pack a lot of destructive firepower. I would recommend using fewer heavy ships and more fast ones to combat them. Any navy can raid a trade route, so the remainder will be dependent upon the nation doing the raiding and the composition of their fleets.

Usually, my best fleet composition has been to use a handful of smaller, faster vessels to chase down enemies, the bulk of my fleet being 5th rate frigates, and then a few of the larger ships I can recruit for firepower. Obviously, this composition changes slightly based on what I can recruit and my enemy's fleet composition. A broadside from a 2nd rate has a tendency to make almost anyone surrender wink.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
#4152114 - 07/30/15 11:33 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Speaking of naval combat in the TW games, I absolutely loved doing the early ironclad battles in the Fall of the Samurai add-on for Shogun 2.

#4152360 - 07/30/15 09:11 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the tips. I read about the different ships and decided that third rates were the way to go, seemed the best bang for the buck. But turns out I hadn't the right tech or building, so set about correcting that and built a navy of about 6 fourth rates and as many brigs. Looking at enemy navies though I saw they were comprised mostly of weak ships and were easily destroyed. But I haven't been off in search of pirates just yet.

So I hit 1750 and won the short campaign, and at the same time saw a marked increase in unrest. Perhaps it coincided with an enlightenment tech that further increased clamor for reform. I think I may try to flip government again so that my cities aren't always on the brink of revolt.

#4152383 - 07/30/15 10:30 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I was worrying about public order penalties from enlightenment tech, but I plan to counteract it to some extent by demolishing my universities once I begin finishing up tech research. So far it has not been a problem, and I am in the 1760s.

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 07/30/15 10:31 PM.

#4152503 - 07/31/15 11:40 AM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yeah once you have researched every technology there's no reason to keep those universities around.

Damn progressives causing my public order to drop!!

#4152533 - 07/31/15 01:02 PM Re: What's your favorite Total War Title? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I flipped government again to republic and it cured those ills,and changed my flag from Prussia to Germany for what it's worth. Easier to find my units now, especially in winter smile I think the first time I did it my lack of unrest was due mostly to repression from the monarchy. I hadn't built all that many cultural buildings. So when flipping to republic and losing that repression it caused me to slip below that threshold and resulted in unrest.

This time, lack of unrest was due more to cultural buildings and less to repression, unrest was mostly due to industrialization and enlightenment, so flipping to republic washed most of it away, and now the realm is very peaceful and content. Changing form of government caused a drop in relations with all other nations with a different form of government, but frankly we've been so expansionist that it doesn't really matter any more. I am also in the 1760's.

Last edited by DBond; 07/31/15 01:26 PM.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.