Hop To
Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64
#4141631 - 07/01/15 08:23 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
it's looking the dog's bollocks mate (that's an English compliment if you were wondering :0

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4143503 - 07/06/15 04:38 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'm sorting out the engine mount, which has to be drilled to accept the engine mounting bolts (standard grade 8 bolts, btw), and it's an example of "hold your breath" moments. If I drill the holes in the wrong place the mount is ruined. If I drill the holes to fit the engine but they're not on the center of the firewall (too far up or down) I'll mess up the line of thrust and the plane will fly crappy.

Measuring distances between holes is not my forte, and there is a lack of information on the spacing on the web. Everyone seems to go from engine in the box to on the plane. What I need is to ensure I'm spot on.

Well, my solution:

I took a wooden yard stick and drilled it, fitting it through holes on the engine itself. There was even a nice center line on stick to guide my holes.

Eleven inches is the answer, and you'll note that on the left one I did bad math and drilled one 12 inches - hence the "NO" annotation.

Not shown is the cross members I glued to it to form a template, and it shows that the mount was made perfectly - center of the supports that hold the bolts. Not shown is the fabrication of bushings to offset the engine by an inch and a half from the mount.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4143639 - 07/07/15 02:07 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Good solution!

Strange they don't include a template to use when drilling the holes - just a piece of sturdy paper should be enough I think.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4143649 - 07/07/15 03:13 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I cut a such a deal on the Firewall Forward (FWF) engine and prop setup that I think they cut their costs by not including any manuals - I think they went back home from the Gardner, KS airshow last year (where I blurted a low ball price and to my surprise got a handshake on the deal*), looked at the price agreed on, and palm slapped themselves.

But I asked them to slow walk the engine build, which meant that they could work on it between normal customers and include it in their bulk purchases they normally do after Oskosh.

At least I think I got a killer deal. They don't publish a price on anything but their top of the line engine, and almost everyone I've talked to gets really quiet on what they paid for theirs....afraid that either they paid too much or the other guy did. I had looked around and took the price of a speed shop's bug engine, added the price of a prop (which they do list), and 25% overage for labor.

Fortunately, I owned a terrible Bug back a zillion years ago and know how to maintain the engine. Bug engines are almost bullet proof if one checks the valve clearances regularly, changes the oil, spark plugs and wires as needed.

* Yes, there are still businesses that work on a handshake. Valley Engineering is a small family run one, and are beloved in the home building world in general and WWI replica one in particular. They also own Culver Props, and the one they cut for me is gorgeous.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4143779 - 07/07/15 02:02 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Sh1t's getting real when you're about to mount the engine! Good luck, Dart.
I'm sure it will be fine as you've been taking it nice and slow.
It's been a real pleasure following your build, especially since you've shared all the details of your problems, solutions, temporary failures and eventual successes.
Cheers,
C_G

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4144169 - 07/08/15 02:33 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
DrZebra Offline
crash-professional
DrZebra  Offline
crash-professional

steppe
good luck with the engine installation, it is the heart surgery equivalent in aviation!

#4144227 - 07/08/15 04:25 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The first heart attack phase is done, though. There are a few "hold your breath" moments in building, where there isn't a tolerance for error and one gets a single opportunity to do it right.

Drilling holes in the longerons - the spines of the aircraft fuselage - for the cabanes that hold the upper wings was a prime example. One can't just replace a strut or tube and do it over; if it's drilled wrong, the only fix is to take the fuselage apart and replace it....taking it back to square one.

Putting the holes in the mount to fit the engine was one of those, too. Granted, screwing it up meant buying a new mount, but what a PITA!

On the Big Build Thread over on the EAA forums, my goal was twofold. First, to show all my work so people can step in and cry foul when I do something wrong, which has happened more than once.

Second, it was to show another first time builder about to start the challenges and setbacks of building. It's rare for a website or thread dedicated to a build to show technique and, more importantly, errors. Or when they show an error they had to fix, they don't show how they did it.

I have super thick skin when it comes to criticism in the build. Even when it's pedantic (such as the long conversation about my blue trim and how it should be gray), I take it as an effort by others to improve my work. I've usually taken advice and used it, and even when I went another way it was from a position of knowledge, knowing there was another path. Comments about some of my more, um, rough craftsmanship are always fun - sometimes they're right and I could (and do) better. But I never set out to build an award winner.

All of this gracious humility will go out the window the second she gets her airworthy certificate, though. Then any criticism of my Bebe will be met with that of a proud parent being told their baby is ugly. smile

From Laser:
#4144524 - 07/09/15 01:33 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
By that time you will not hear the criticism over the roar of the engine.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4145858 - 07/13/15 03:03 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Thanks to all the work up front, the engine just slipped right onto the mounting bolts!

Loads to do, but nothing that requires the level of rocket surgery putting the mount on the engine did.

From Laser:
#4145975 - 07/13/15 02:11 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Sweeeeeeeeet!
It's starting to look like only a matter of weeks before you'll doing taxi runs and then the first flight!

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4145987 - 07/13/15 02:34 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Amazing work Dart.

Every time I look at your threads, I get the itch to build a Nieuport or Pup.

If and when I do, I plan to study in detail how you overcame the obstacles in your build...I hope you leave the pics and thread up as it's got to be about the best "how to" on building one of these I've seen.

I finally got signed off in the Citabria after putting it off for ages. I think I've got the tail dragger bug.

Looking forward to see her fly!

Deacon

#4146234 - 07/14/15 03:55 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Plans drawn out for the "doghouse" behind the starter - which actually fit through the hole I cut - and I'll make it tomorrow. Then I'll mount the starter and think about the oil cooler mount.

Then it's a double check and touch up of the wings and out to the airport for help on the fuel and electrical systems.

It's kind of surreal to be this close to the end.

From Laser:
#4146697 - 07/15/15 12:25 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Let's build a box out of a sheet of steel!

Note that while I made a sort of plan in PowerPoint it needed some scribbles on it to make it work.

Looks like my measurements and bends worked out okay. Time to make some reinforcing tabs for the side and paint it.

Mount the starter...

And mount the box with some metal screws into some nut fittings.

After priming it I hit it with a can of gold paint I had on the shelf. The reason for making it a gold box? Because GOLD BOX, that's why!

smile

From Laser:
#4146762 - 07/15/15 05:21 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Nice metal work. Wow it's coming together great!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4146772 - 07/15/15 05:56 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The only work that needs to be done at the house is fabricating the oil cooler mount; the rest will be done in the hangar under the eyes of experten - the electrical and fuel systems.

I know just enough about how they should be put together to know that I'm over my head on those.

From Laser:
#4146881 - 07/15/15 01:52 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I think the tricky part will be to build a 7/8 scale pilot...

#4146883 - 07/15/15 01:57 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Got that covered! When I step up to my Bebe I am suddenly 6'2" tall at a very burly 220 pounds.

From Laser:
#4147194 - 07/16/15 08:12 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Whoa there...Scratching head... what are the 90 degree shelving brackets doing there? What are they for?

http://www.truevalue.com/product/10-x-12-Inch-Gray-Steel-Shelf-Bracket/10278.uts

#4147273 - 07/16/15 02:04 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
They aren't shelving brackets. They're rudder pedal stop reinforcing assemblies. wink

To keep the rudder pedal from going to far and whacking the rudder against the elevator, there's a bolt that is attached to the firewall and reinforced with some plate:

But there's some give to the firewall that I didn't like that lets the bolt move, so rather than fabricating a reinforcing guide I sourced one that was already made:

The nuts on the end let me do fine adjustments without having to mess around with the turn buckle (and the safety wiring of it).

From Laser:
#4147536 - 07/17/15 02:46 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Looking really good Dart. smile

That armed P-51 you mentioned.
Twilight Tear .50 Caliber Machine Gun Testing

The owner was forced to destroy the receivers? by the ATF since he didn't have a FFL. Being more than just a little well off he paid to get a FFL and then had new receivers made for the guns. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.