Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4144779 - 07/10/15 12:21 AM Bombing missions  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
I am on my 3rd bombing mission in my RFC-3 campaign. Out of 6 missions, 3 have been bombing runs. I have not figured out how to identify the target when the objective is a sector. The first 2 bombing missions targeted an airfield which was easy enough to identify.

Today's mission was to bomb enemy troops in a sector named "FrontLinie Abschnitt FF266". This sector appears to be SW of LOOS.

Is there a map or something to identify this sector [and other sectors] more specifically? It seems it would be better to drop the bombs at the same time as the flight leader rather than in a random place in the sector or am I wrong?

I was afraid I would miss the time to drop the bombs so I just let the autopilot fly the bombing run [after a long time practicing formation flying] and the only clue I had was the whistling sound as the bombs fell.

I think it is time to do some more bombing practice in QC on Front Line sectors. I have already done this on airfields and rail yards.

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4144897 - 07/10/15 10:56 AM Re: Bombing missions [Re: BKCason]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You can use the TAC (shift+t) then zoom in and then press T to cycle to ground objects etc. I am sure the guys here can give you plenty of tips.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4144940 - 07/10/15 12:49 PM Re: Bombing missions [Re: BKCason]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
actually, if you just let the autopilot fly over the target it will do everything by itself.

I, try to do this real life by flying in "spot" view looking down and guestamating it.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4144992 - 07/10/15 02:09 PM Re: Bombing missions [Re: lederhosen]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: lederhosen
actually, if you just let the autopilot fly over the target it will do everything by itself.

I try to do this real life by flying in "spot" view looking down and guestamating it.

I did let the AI release the bombs for the current mission to bomb enemy troops in a front line sector. I was watching to see where the AI would release the bombs. I never saw anything that looked like a specific target, I just heard the whistle of the bombs falling. I had the TAC set to show "all" with a range of 1.1 nm. I could see the solid blocks that I guess represented enemy units. The AI released in about the middle so I guess that will be my plan for the future.

In this mission, the flight leader was Capt. "Jack" Salmond (HA) and the bombs did get some hits. Maybe he is just better than us plebeians. smile

In QC missions that have a well defined target, like airfields or railway yards, I have let the generic autopilot in QC release the bombs sometimes and tried to do it myself sometimes. The AI and I are both equally bad. biggrin

From my reading, most pilots were pretty bad at bombing in WW1. Of course they had very little training and only the crudest of bomb sights so that is understandable.

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4145094 - 07/10/15 04:34 PM Re: Bombing missions [Re: BKCason]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
When I'm not flight leader I like to tail the leader and release right after him.

Ran a frontline bomb run in March 1915 with FA 47b in a Pfalz 2 seater as flight leader. I did 'spot view' from aprox 22 degree angle from top down. My two squadmates released shortly after me and I didn't have to use the commands to get them to release. Interesting thing is they switched from a 'V' formation to having one tail the other as we approached target.

Rough downward view just after release. Bombs are visible, 4 light blue ones, just below my tail in this pic.

The debriefing showed I destroyed 5 ground targets with 4 bombs. One squadmate hit 2 targets and the other missed.

Last edited by MudWasp; 07/10/15 04:45 PM. Reason: added a pic
#4145095 - 07/10/15 04:42 PM Re: Bombing missions [Re: BKCason]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Hey, if you want to see where your bombs hit...hit the 'W' key just after releasing.
You can pan the view as they fall.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM