Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4142400 - 07/03/15 01:48 AM A tale of two campaigns...  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
I started a pilot, Austin McCann, in a campaign in RNAS 1 flying out of St-Pol-Sur-Mer in March of 1915. It was slow, patrol this friendly place, patrol that hostile place in the ever exciting BE2c. Austin started as a Sargent & still is one. All 8 missions have been patrols. The pace was leisurely.

I started a 2nd campaign for 2ND Lieutenant Allan Burrell in the RFC squadron 3 flying out of Choques in Flanders in January of 1915 just to have a change of pace in a Moran L. 1st mission was a bombing run in horrible weather... snow or rain, low visibility, lots of wind! The next 2 missions were in good weather to do artillery spotting. In the 3rd mission, Allan was the flight leader! With a HA as a wing man!

What a contrast!

I plan to alternate between the 2 campaigns to see how the contrast holds up . Is this a great game or what! biggrin

Last edited by BKCason; 07/03/15 01:52 AM. Reason: Spelling is hard

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4142423 - 07/03/15 02:29 AM Re: A tale of two campaigns... [Re: BKCason]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

I gather you got the gouge you were looking for in regards to formation flying... blahblahblah

#4142436 - 07/03/15 03:15 AM Re: A tale of two campaigns... [Re: busdriver]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: busdriver
I gather you got the gouge you were looking for in regards to formation flying... blahblahblah

I got a lot of good advice on how to approach learning to fly in formation. All I have to do now is practice, practice, practice. It does seem like the RNAS campaign is best for practice flying in formation.

It felt really strange to be leading the flight in the RFC campaign. A new set of skills to learn. Fortunately, I had been a follower in pretty much the same mission in the prior mission so I concentrated on flying along the Front for the required time then headed back to base. All in all, a nice change.

I like the fact that the two campaigns are so different, at least so far.

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4142715 - 07/04/15 01:30 AM Re: A tale of two campaigns... [Re: BKCason]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Try flying for the other side...if you tire of being a Cat....be a mouse in an Aviatik B series with no gun

It's all good fun.

winkngrin

#4142737 - 07/04/15 03:22 AM Re: A tale of two campaigns... [Re: MudWasp]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: MudWasp
Try flying for the other side...if you tire of being a Cat....be a mouse in an Aviatik B series with no gun

It's all good fun.

winkngrin

In due time, I think I will do that. Give it all a try, RNAS/RFC, French, German, USA, scouts & 2-seaters.

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4143206 - 07/05/15 09:50 PM Re: A tale of two campaigns... [Re: BKCason]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Over the July 4th weekend, I have had a lot of in-laws in the house. They are a niece of my wife, her daughter, son, & 2 dogs. I have been reading McCudden's"Flying Fury - Five Years in the RFC" while baby-sitting our dogs to prevent any further doggie trouble. No flying time until tomorrow at the soonest. reading

I have the one new campaign in RFC-3 and have recognized several names in McCudden's book from seeing them in WOFF. At one point, McCudden is flying out of Abeele where I have based most of my QC missions. I love this aspect of the historical immersion available in WOFF, real people doing what they did back then. I feel like I am almost a real participant in the events of the war [as much as a flight sim can make you feel anyway].

The book is also giving me a better understanding of the war in the early years. The quiet pace of my other campaign in RNAS-1 has become much more understandable now. No doubt it is very in keeping with the historical events.

So to all the developers; Well Done! and keep up the good work.

Last edited by BKCason; 07/06/15 04:08 PM.

Regards,
Ben Cason

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM