Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4139802 - 06/26/15 01:47 PM 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video...  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Here is a preview video of alpha 12 that should be out in the next week. It is amazing how far this game has come over the last year. I think we still need a little more end game content beyond just surviving (which is much harder the first week than subsequent weeks) but all in all a good example for me of kickstarters and early backing.

MWO callsign Feetwet
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4141588 - 07/01/15 04:24 AM Re: 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video... [Re: Feetwet]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Wow! The new terrain gen and weather effects look nice! Can't wait to try this out

The dev's have said they plan to add a sp campaign/story later down the road; probably going to be one of the last things to add

#4141590 - 07/01/15 04:34 AM Re: 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video... [Re: Feetwet]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Rad. I always enjoyed the creative aspect of the game... like a better looking minecraft.

#4142053 - 07/02/15 10:31 AM Re: 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video... [Re: Feetwet]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
It's looking good but as much as I hate to say it, they need to address the gameplay balance to get me interested again. There is still no real challenge to the game once you have established a reasonably solid base unless you just like building for the sake of building.

If I'm brutally honest, I tried getting back to it in the latest Alphas but I just get bored within the first hour because I know how it will play out once I get past the initial challenge of nailing down the basic survival necessities. And after that....what ? Bigger bases ? Deeper tunnels ? For what ?

The threat dynamic from Zeds havent't changed since the earliest versions. They just added a bunch of features and gadgets that makes the game prettier and to tickle the tinkerer in all of us but the endgame is beaten the same way and plays out the same way.

What I am afraid of is they have become something like Blackberry....starts out with a great, innovative product but hit a creative plateau and just end up rehashing the same tired old formula by merely dressing up the same product in different clothes.

It's shelved for the timebing until and if they can drastically improve the gameplay.

#4142071 - 07/02/15 11:37 AM Re: 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video... [Re: Feetwet]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Yep, I get you HTR. Everything you said is true and probably why I didn't stick with 11 all that long. I am going to give this one a try because the 11 broken hordes should be fixed (should be more) and I want to check out the mini bike and see how that plays out. Oh, and the bear...want to see the bear.

One thing I have done to make the game a little tougher is I have stopped building bunkers. I still have one for emergencies but I always build above ground bases these days. They start on stilts til I get a little established and then I build them out more fully. This makes it necessary to at least participate on some of the night raids.

Overall though the zombies could use a little of the dieing light aspect to them, but if you were to combine the best of each type of zombie, base building would be utterly impossible. Another thing I may try if I get REAL bored is turning on ALWAYS run...that could make things interesting.

Looks good that 12 will be out this weekend, so I may set up my server again and have a go for a while. See how it feels.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4142425 - 07/03/15 02:35 AM Re: 7 days to die upcoming alpha 12 build preview video... [Re: Feetwet]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
I don't profess to have any ideas how they might go about it. If I'm that good, I would have designed the game myself.

They have a game dynamic that does not lend itself easily for tweaking the balance. Unlike Dying Light you cannot parkour yourself out of trouble if you face daylight runners and in the predominantly flat and open geography of the gameworld this will make daylight foraging with limited stamina a tedious and uninspiring proposition.

The game still runs primarily on a fortification/stronghold premise. It's not even remotely comparable with Dying Light w/ mods because DL focuses on character leveling.

I'm afraid they don't have any fresh ideas to change the AI. I have not seen anything to suggest otherwise over several Alpha renditions or devblog. The mini-bike is a novel distraction but does not address the underlying issues with the game. Like DayZ Standalone, they add a bunch of gimmicky features but the AI remains hobbled.

I have long ago moved on to other more engaging games. 7 Days To Die is probably dead earlier than its namesake.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.