Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4142310 - 07/02/15 08:26 PM Novel..so far very good  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Just started The Eagle and the Albatros: A Novel of the Imperial German Air Service: Volume 1 (The Eagle Trillogy) by Mr. Deke D Wagner

"A NOVEL OF THE IMPERIAL GERMAN AIR SERVICE A TALE OF AERIAL ADVENTURE set in France during World War I. Willi Wissemann, an impetuous Bavarian officer, joins the German Air Service in 1916 to escape the drudgery and hardships of trench warfare. He is sent to the Front after a brief stint in flying school and begins his career as a recon-bomber pilot, excelling at the seemingly menial tasks of aerial bombardment and photographic reconnaissance. But Wissemann soon realizes that flying single-seat fighting scouts is his true destiny. When the German High Command reorganizes the Air Service into specialized “hunting-squadrons” and re-equips them with their latest scout, the Albatros D.III—the air war takes on a fiercer and more deadly course. Finally, after many months of pestering the Army High Command, Willi Wissemann gets his chance to take command of a Jasta—a fighter squadron. Once he arrives at the airfield in the Champagne sector, he realizes he has his work cut out for him. He must reorganize an insubordinate bunch of misfits, misanthropes, castoffs and drunks, into a real fighting-squadron. Then during the height of the French spring offensive of 1917, Wissemann is asked to fly a special mission to Paris, transporting a Secret Service agent. What happens next will have a profound effect on his life, his career, and his outlook on the war, changing him forever, scarring his soul for eternity."

Has good reviews and so far so good. Will definately get the follow on.
LINK

#4142314 - 07/02/15 08:38 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Thanks for sharing: no doubt the autor would be genuinely interested in WOFF .

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4142326 - 07/02/15 09:54 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Added this to my reading list.

Thanks for pointing it out and let us know your final opinion reading

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4142334 - 07/02/15 10:36 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
One huge positive is that it is very well researched! Something that can ruin a historical novel for me.

#4142447 - 07/03/15 06:23 AM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
sry to be negative

I bought his other book a few months back, and stopped reading it. I didn't like his writing style at all. Compaired to other ww1 avaitions novels I found the english used to be just, well....to simple and so I lost interest quite quickly.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4142529 - 07/03/15 02:13 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Good to know I'll check it,I would like to add Derek Robinson's trilogy about WWI:
War story,Hornet's sting,Goshawk Squadron
set in the RFC in 1916,1917,1918. Good stuff!! thumbsup

" In vino veritas "
#4142539 - 07/03/15 02:35 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Derek Robinsons are the best by far. I wish he had written more WW1 books. I also have these WW1 aviation novels... The wings of the morning, Flight of Youth, Across the blood red sky aswell as the classics like Winged Victory.

I'm enjoying the book. Though sadly I have spotted wo things..one the senior officer is the pilot (though this has to be for the story) and two the British Archie is black not grey\white..arrrhh..surely he must know this considering how much he has right.

Still I am enjoying it..I agree his writing can feel stilted at times but I think that's because at the moment if the main character is a typical German officer..I believe as the books go on he does change.

So far the air scenes have been very good.

Maybe you need to read this book being the first which would help maybe in getting into the story?

Last edited by Wodin; 07/03/15 02:38 PM.
#4142565 - 07/03/15 03:46 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
Derek Robinson is a terrific writer. I've read his WWII stuff. He is always great at coming up with an interesting character or two.

When I was a teenager, I read Arch Whitehouse. His non-fiction books are easy to read and entertaining. Nothing great but enjoyable. Playboy Squadron, Squadron 46 {I think it was 46}, and another that I can't remember the name of. His non-fiction had some inaccuracies.

#4142574 - 07/03/15 04:11 PM Re: Novel..so far very good [Re: Wodin]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Wodin
Derek Robinsons are the best by far. I wish he had written more WW1 books. I also have these WW1 aviation novels... The wings of the morning, Flight of Youth, Across the blood red sky aswell as the classics like Winged Victory.

I'm enjoying the book. Though sadly I have spotted wo things..one the senior officer is the pilot (though this has to be for the story) and two the British Archie is black not grey\white..arrrhh..surely he must know this considering how much he has right.

Still I am enjoying it..I agree his writing can feel stilted at times but I think that's because at the moment if the main character is a typical German officer..I believe as the books go on he does change.

So far the air scenes have been very good.

Maybe you need to read this book being the first which would help maybe in getting into the story?

I have got both on Amazon as soon as I checked,so I'll read them in order,starnge thing is how I missed them since I was researching a lot about WWI novels lately...well....another good one is "Valiant Volunteers" by Terry L. Johnson,that's about the Lafayette Escadrille very good,a novel but with very strong roots on history,and a big book too! Also Frank Barnard's fourth novel (after his WWII amzing cycle) "A time for heroes" wich starts form early Twntieth century and ends in 1940,good stuff!! thumbsup

" In vino veritas "

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM