Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 227 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 226 227
#4139786 - 06/26/15 01:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Ken, welcome to the club. You know what's funny, in my DID campaign I've also shot down Leffers.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4139866 - 06/26/15 03:29 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
in my DID campaign I've also shot down Leffers.

Probably not for the last time...

Interestingly, I'm not sure the inadvertent kill had anything to do with Alvin's promotion. After whining about promotion in his most recent letter, Ambrose was promoted to 2nd Lt. after today's mission, and he hasn't done anything but fly around and miss targets when bombing. So maybe it was just Alvin's time.

#4139883 - 06/26/15 04:06 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
That's the one thing that bothers me about HAs, in a past campaign I shot down the same HA four times. That's why I'm currently using one of the HA mods.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4140245 - 06/27/15 03:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
RFC-3 Sqn
Auchel
Flanders, France.

June 27, 1915.

Dawn Flight: Arty spot on the lines across from Lens. Heavy shelling but they were all over No Mans Land.
Redirected as best we could then RTB.

Just landed and was ordered to refuel, It seems a Convoy is moving up to the front South of Lens. Departed and scouted the assigned area but no Convoy or troops spotted.

img upload

4 points.

#4140295 - 06/27/15 07:24 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Man, when you have a bad time it sure costs you. Engine failure on mission, landed in a field, did not complete mission, plane destroyed. -4 points. But I am still alive.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4140320 - 06/27/15 09:33 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: MFair
But I am still alive.

+10000000 points!!!!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4140332 - 06/27/15 10:44 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Adain Lothbrok scored his 1st victory over a Hun machine. Confirmed!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4140337 - 06/27/15 11:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
BurnHard left the Kommandant's quarters and was again awestruck by sight of the huge zeppelin hanger that dominated the opposite side of Namur airfield. More so now than he had been before landing his malfunctioning pfalz in the early dawn. It dwarfed everything else around especially his troubled pfalz that Fritz was tinkering working on.

"You're mighty lucky to be alive this morning." called out Fritz as Burnhard approached. "This fuel leak could have fried you crispy had you flown much further."

"Luckier than my brother. Kommandant told me burned alive shortly after taking off from Colmar a few days back.". Fritz bit his upper lip and started to say something, but BurnHard cut him off with a hand wave and replied, "Yeah, things could be worse. How hard will it be to fix?".

"Quick fix, an hour or so. Help me push her over towards my brick repair hanger. "

Fritz had just finished the repair when Kommandant suddenly appeared with a rather grim look on his face and more bad news for BurnHard. The train his brother's remains were on had been destroyed at a railyard near Buhl Lorraine. Enemy bombers had exploded the adjacent cars carring artillary ammo. The train and the railroad storage warehouses were all oblitered.

BurnHard was cleared to leave Namur and invited for fresh sausages. He declined even though he was suprised to see sausages. Fritz went on to tell him that one of the benefits of being at a zeppelin base was the availability of beef intestines for gas bag repairs. The other, an abundant hydrogen supply, had BurnHard thinking of an ample fuel source for the funeral pyre he could no longer give to his brother Arnold. He decided to take Fritz up on the offer to take some sausages with him for the trip to Duoai. Sooner or later his appetite would return.

As he sat in the seat of his repaired Pflaz and looked out at the huge hanger he thought about all the hydrogen inside a zeppelin and what a massive funeral pyre it would make for the crew onboard. "Things could be worse", he muttered to himself as he fired up the Pflaz and headed for Duoai.

oops.... wrong screen shot

Last edited by MudWasp; 06/28/15 12:14 AM. Reason: oops
#4140341 - 06/27/15 11:36 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
thumbsup Congrats MFair.

#4140343 - 06/27/15 11:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Wow! You downed that aircraft with an Enfield, no less! I'm very impressed! cheers

Last edited by Combs; 06/27/15 11:49 PM.

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.
#4140345 - 06/27/15 11:57 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

#4140348 - 06/28/15 12:10 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Originally Posted By: MFair
But I am still alive.

+10000000 points!!!!

thumbsup

#4140349 - 06/28/15 12:13 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

MudWasp, I think your getting this story telling down pat!

Thanks on the victory Gents. I think it was the second shot that knocked the engine.

#4140350 - 06/28/15 12:16 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
The trip to Douai went by in a hazy fast flash wave for BurnHard. The angry skies had held off for the most part and soon he was above his home airfield.

Landed just fine and was thankful for no equipment mishaps. Reported in to the Kommandant, found his bunk, met his squadmates, and crashed. He awoke half thinking his days journey had been a bad dream.

His squad is small and soon he learned much about all six of them as he shared the 15lbs of sausage Fritz had stashed below his seat.
In the next couple days he flew some around the airfield and made a trip to the nearby front lines. He often thought about funeral pyres when he saw observation balloons.

#4140353 - 06/28/15 12:21 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
You got the right system for giving your gunner a shooting angle.!
I think I saw his head move before his rifle sighted in for a shot...and you moved in to make the shot angle even better.

#4140358 - 06/28/15 12:51 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Combs]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France
20-22 June 1915
The French ground attack southwest of Lens is reportedly taking heavy casualties. During the past three days, the squadron has been assigned to patrol the front near Lens to help keep the German reconnaissance aircraft from observing the French and the British army in that sector. We’ve gone up each day, but haven’t spotted any EA at all.

23 June 1915

We had a bit of a switch in missions today. Rather than heading south east to support the French, we were assigned to patrol behind the German lines to the east, near Ypres. For the first time, I flew the lead aircraft, with Sgt. Garfield as my wingman. It was a morning job. Surprisingly, there were a fair number of scattered thunderstoms in the area. Fortunately, we could avoid them fairly easily. Just behind the German lines, we caught two Aviatiks flying east. Myself and Sgt Garfield intercepted them. In the melee, we lost the lead aircraft, but we managed to severely damage his wingman’s engine, which stopped. During our fight, I almost collided with his aircraft, missing by what seemed to be inches! Eventually, he crash landed about a half mile east of the German airfield at Menen. I almost joined him in crashing in the same field, as I was so focused on making sure he crashed, that I ended up flying both low and slow, a very dangerous technique. When I finally realized that I was below the height of the trees approaching in front of me, I pulled up, but almost stalled the aircraft because I was too slow. Fortunately, I put my nose down in time to avoid stalling, and barely cleared the trees at the end of the field that claimed the Aviatik. Sgt. Garfield rejoined me, and we flew back to base without further incident. Surprisingly, my claim was denied, despite Sgt. Garfield being on hand to witness it.

Storms on 23 June

Aviatik with stopped engine near Menen

#4140361 - 06/28/15 01:00 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Combs]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

23 June 1915
Had a bit of a harrowing adventure today. Lieutenant Lloyd and I were assigned to do a morning artillery spot along with Lieutenants McDonald and Dillon. Our take off was fine, but about twelve minutes into the mission, my engine started knocking quiet a bit. I immediately turned for the nearest base and throttled down, then the engine completely stopped. I spied what I thought was a suitable looking field, but came in too fast, and realized I was going to hit some trees at the end. I pulled up and missed the trees, but stalled and crashed, destroying my bus. Surprisingly, both Lieut. Lloyd and I walked away from this crash without an scratch. My Guardian angel must have been looking out for us!

Take off for an artillery spot

#4140366 - 06/28/15 01:12 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
You've had a busy week Combs!
These system failures have been rough on the early birds.....

#4140369 - 06/28/15 01:32 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Combs]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

25 June 1915
I was thinking about luck today, and realized that Lieutenant Lloyd and I have been extraordinarily lucky. The day after downing that Aviatik we crashed, but walked away without a scratch. The very next day, the CO assigned us to a easy mission to patrol well within our lines. We simply had to orbit one of the nearby airfields and keep away German reconnaissance aircraft. The flight commander said we got this easy mission, because after our crash yesterday, the CO wanted us to have an easy flight. I was assigned to lead, and Sgt. Garfield was my wing. As we were climbing out, Lieutenant Lloyd spotted a flight of three Aviatiks heading east. Apparently, they had just dropped some bombs on something nearby. We pursued, but they were well above us. We didn’t finally catch them until just after they crossed the lines, heading for their home base. Lloyd fired about a couple of bursts into the right wingman near the German airfield at Houplin. We saw him spin out of control, and I’m sure he crashed. I then went after the lead aircraft. Although we hit him, he was able to get away. My claim was again denied when I got back to base. I was stewing about my bad luck, but Lieutenant Lloyd correctly pointed out that I was very lucky. In the past week, we’ve cheated death at least twice-once when I almost crashed the aircraft chasing the Aviatik near Menen, and once when I wrecked on the 23rd. In return, we’ve shot down three Aviatiks, even if the records don’t show it. At the least, we are luckier than some. Lieutenant Lloyd also reminded me that the book of Proverbs says not to gloat when your enemy falls. He’s right. We have been extraordinarily lucky.

26-27 June 1915

Very routine missions the past couple of days. On the 26th, I did a bombing attack on some front line positions. The lead aircraft dropped his bombs from 6000 feet, so I did the same. Of course, we didn’t hit anything from that altitude. On the 27th, we had a patrol deep over German lines over their field at Phalempin. Surprisingly, we didn’t see any EA, and returned home without incident.

Homeward bound from the Morning Job

Out of control Aviatik near Houplin

Last edited by Combs; 06/28/15 01:33 AM.

#4140370 - 06/28/15 01:36 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Congrats on confirmed kill MFair.
As to the system failures, I have not had a single one with either one of my pilots, or any member of their flight since patch 2.06. Weird, I even checked if the setting was not reset in the Workshop. Had plenty of them occurring prior to the latest patch. Lucky I guess, but somehow I doubt it.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 15 of 227 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics