Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4141367 - 06/30/15 03:21 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
I would like to thank Snap and HTR for continually picking up my beat up body last night. This mod is intense.

One question Harry. When I use my machete which does 60'ish damage, I can take a zed down usually in 1-3 hits, but when I am using my carbine with a damage of around 500 i think, it is not a one shot kill in most cases. Am I wrong on the damage or is there something else at play here?

Scott

MWO callsign Feetwet
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4141568 - 07/01/15 02:52 AM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Feetwet]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Feetwet
I would like to thank Snap and HTR for continually picking up my beat up body last night. This mod is intense.

One question Harry. When I use my machete which does 60'ish damage, I can take a zed down usually in 1-3 hits, but when I am using my carbine with a damage of around 500 i think, it is not a one shot kill in most cases. Am I wrong on the damage or is there something else at play here?

Scott

You are just a lousy shot wink Left For Dead combat dynamics don't do didley squat in Dying Light I Am Legion smile

Despite the high dmg rating of firearms, they do not seem simulate the ballistic shock of rifle bullet hitting flesh. It's not the same effect that you normally see in ballistic gelatin. Whereas your melee weapons will hack through limbs or crush heads in Dying Light, fireams bullets seem to be simulating a very narrow wound channel and localized damage. They tend to be very resilient with hits to the body but very fragile if you headshot them. Bullet penetration however is switched on in the mod. Sometimes you get 2 kills with one bullet if you happen to headshot one zed with another immediately behind the first.

Snakeeyes have no problem to head-shot everyone when he coop with me. It is easier to get one-shot head kills with the pistol because the bullet spread appears to be less. This is apparent as the crosshair is tighter and/or settles down quicker after you stop moving.

You can replicate this accuracy on the Police Rifle by squeezing off controlled single shots with sufficient time in between shots (the gun pulls to the right if you are not using your iron sights), and try to stand still when taking a shot instead of backpedalling, etc. Or you can just go full auto using the Military Rifle. Easier to connect to the head with full auto but the Military Rifle burns through ammo like a fish drinks water.

For headshots using the crosshair, I aim for their throats/chin. If you imagine you put horizontal line just under (and touching) the crosshair dot and you superimpose this line on a zed's throat so that his head sits on top of this line, (like a lolipop). Pops their head everytime like a mellon with one shot. If they get in your face, and you need to backpedal, do so but again I tend to aim at their chin. I have often cleared out entire streets just taking quick shots, dodging backwards/running away, rinse and repeat. They are dumb. They don't weave and duck when they run at you, so keep calm and squeeze of those rounds sparingly.

I ntoiced you are getting pummeled yesterday because you are concentrating so hard on your marksmanship that you stand in one spot for too long. Snappy was moving all the time so he seems fine. It's not as though you cannot hear zeds flanking you from the sides and behind, because you can when there's less of a commotion but when you have a horde with zeds screaming everywhere and gunfire going off, you won't pick up the telltale sounds of runners getting behind you.

You'll get the hang of it. Everyone gets clobbered initially in Dying Light I Am Legion Ultimate Survivor.

A machete with 60ish damage is a toothpick smile 1 to 3 swings to decapitate a zed is okay if there's one or two but when you get a horde, you really need gear with more punch. I thought my upgraded Saber of 230+ dmg is sufficient but it wasn't. Anything that takes more than 1 swing to kill a zed is going to be dicey in a crowd. Both Snakeeyes and myself are currently wielding Modified Lumberjack Axes for melee with upwards of 500+ dmg. You don't really have time to chop everyone down though so with double handed weapons we like to use area effect skills like Ground Pound and Whirlwind to hit multiple opponents with one move. All those skills appear unbalanced in Vanilla Dying Light but becomes essential in I Am Legion

#4141574 - 07/01/15 02:57 AM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Also, try to be good using the Tackle and Dropkick skills. Of all the martial Agility skills in the game, I rank those two as essential.

If you need to get to someone to revive them, mAke sure you to have fireworks equipped and a Quick-key bound for it to divert the zeds. You cannot throw fireworks when you are sprinting, so tap your Shift (Sprint key) once to get out of Sprint, follow that immediately with a tap on the Quick-key for Fireworks in the direction you want the diversion to land, and then reengage Sprint with another tap on the Shift key. Should be one seamless motion. It becomes second nature after you do it a few times.

#4144232 - 07/08/15 04:32 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Hey Harry, is there something different about the game when the weather is foggy. Snap and I were running around one day in the fog and we were absolutely getting beat to hell. The zombies were very very fast and aggressive.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4144810 - 07/10/15 03:14 AM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
No difference. Just foggy. You are both getting beat to hell in sunny weather anyway but at least getting worked over when the sun is out does not seem half as bad as when it is foggy and dreary.

I'm sure its just placebo to think you are better when the sun is shining LOL wink

Are you on v1.2 or are you still on 1.19c.

I was very annoyed with the issues encountered on 1.2 and I do have critical comments on 1.2 and the game in general.

1.21 is also out but it is currently FUBAR'ed so I won't recommend upgrading until everyone has got their sh!t together.

#4144929 - 07/10/15 12:26 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
So I would like to apologize to Snap for loosing it last night. It just became more than I could take. Harry, there is something wrong with you. I cannot imagine trying to play this solo. The zeds just take far too much punishment for this to be overly enjoyable. There are too many and they are too fast. I know this guy wants to make it tough but this is getting ridiculous. You may be quiet when using melee but you are swarmed so fast after the fighting starts who cares and the rifles while giving you the ability to thin their numbers before they get too you is so loud, they swarm from all over. Keep moving you say, I try, and get pummeled as I run by. I will continue, I assume at some point I will get strong enough to have a chance. I mean that was the point right, to make the end of the game more enjoyable because your not such a god. Well, maybe the plan should have been to ramp it up so the new guy isn't screwed. Or maybe tailor it to the number of players like the old Diablo 2 used to do. Four guys can handle more zeds than 2 or 1. Oh, and how the hell am I supposed to level my survival skills when I loose a third of them on every death...which is constantly. I think I am Agility 8, strength 7, survivor 3 maybe.

I figured out what the fog was, it was f'n RAGE. Ok, I feel a little better now. Rant off.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4145048 - 07/10/15 03:03 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Feetwet]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, and how the hell am I supposed to level my survival skills when I loose a third of them on every death...which is constantly. I think I am Agility 8, strength 7, survivor 3 maybe.

S

Yeah I probably suck, but even in Vanilla I had problems solo in areas with a lot of zombies, that became manageable once I got leveled up and had better weapons, but I wouldn't want to play solo beginning character with the mod at highest difficulty...

That's why I kept my solo savegame to play solo without the mod, and then a separate savegame to play co-op with you guys in the mod biggrin

I'm guessing the folks who can handle the mod solo with starting character honed their skills in DayZ for a long time or something, either that or I just suck...

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4145272 - 07/11/15 03:52 AM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Feetwet]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
So I would like to apologize to Snap for loosing it last night. It just became more than I could take. Harry, there is something wrong with you. I cannot imagine trying to play this solo. The zeds just take far too much punishment for this to be overly enjoyable. There are too many and they are too fast. I know this guy wants to make it tough but this is getting ridiculous. You may be quiet when using melee but you are swarmed so fast after the fighting starts who cares and the rifles while giving you the ability to thin their numbers before they get too you is so loud, they swarm from all over. Keep moving you say, I try, and get pummeled as I run by. I will continue, I assume at some point I will get strong enough to have a chance. I mean that was the point right, to make the end of the game more enjoyable because your not such a god. Well, maybe the plan should have been to ramp it up so the new guy isn't screwed. Or maybe tailor it to the number of players like the old Diablo 2 used to do. Four guys can handle more zeds than 2 or 1. Oh, and how the hell am I supposed to level my survival skills when I loose a third of them on every death...which is constantly. I think I am Agility 8, strength 7, survivor 3 maybe.

I figured out what the fog was, it was f'n RAGE. Ok, I feel a little better now. Rant off.

S

LOL Angry gamer. It leads to the Dark Side, hence your Steam Avatar.

I admit I am good at Dying Light. I have 320+ hours on it with half that that time on 'I Am Legion Ultimate Survivor'.

There are of course two other easier versions of IAL that is geared for folks who find Ultimate too difficult. The author did caveat that Ultimate is not for everyone. I never played the easy versions so I do not know what they are like but 'Casual Survivor' should be something like an enhanced Vanilla and 'The Survivor' splits the difficulty between Ultimate and Casual.

If you want to stay with Ultimate, you need to change the way you approach the game. For a starting character, do not do missions, do not venture far from the Tower.

I just confine myself around the vicinity of the Tower to loot and combat until I get my Agility very high and Power reasonably high.

The base of the Tower is a great place to train and level up. The zeds are manageable in numbers at that location. The Tower has an expansive perimeter at the bottom that affords maneuver room to practice your Slides, Dropkicks and Tackles, and a convenient Safehouse entrance for you to egress if things get too hot. You can heal up without using a med kit by using the elevator (yes that fully replenishes your hitpoints). There's plenty of adjacent buildings near the Tower for you to practice Parkour and to loot.

For starting Out :- ......

Your Agility levels up faster than any other skill simply because you parkour more than any other endeavor. It's a good thing because Agility is more important for survival for a starting character than the other two skills. My recommendation is you grind at the Tower and get Freerunning Adept as soon as possible and then invest in Slide, Dropkick and Tackle. Also get Freerunning Expert as soon as it is available. Once you have Slide, Dropkick, Upgraded Dropkick, Tackle, Upgraded Tackle in that order, start using them as much as possible and move away from an emphasis on melee weapons/firearms towards Agility offensive skills. If you connect succesfully with a Slide, and Tackle they will give you bonus Agility XP Points. However, a successful dropkick will net you both 40 Agility and 40 Power XP points. So dropkick as much as possible. Don't use dropkick in every situation because it take time to recover from one. Sometimes a Tackle is more appropriate if there are too many zeds around you. Leg break (Upgraded Slide) looks good from the outset as a Tier One Skill but tricky to pull off against a zed facing you without getting hit as you slide in. The key to leveling up Agility is to keep using those skills.

Get Health Regeneration as soon as you can and pick Man Up also. Man Up is an Advanced Moves Skill. Advanced Moves Skills do not cost you a Skill Point to acquire. They are free to buy as soon as you meet the level requirements.

On the Power Skill Tree, the Tier One Skills are nothing to shout about. Conserve Weapons is useful for starting out. Get Sturdiness and its upgraded levels as soon you can. They unlock the Advanced Skill of Anger Management which does make a big difference to your hitpoints when combined with Agility's Health Regen. Other than that Power levels up significantly slower than Agility. For majority of situations you can get things done without having a lot of Power XP but you cannot be successful without having your Agility at a high level.

Be prudent but don't be tentative. In all likelihood, you have died multiples times, thus wiping out all the Survival XP Points you have accumulated. Therefore, the game can no longer penalize you if you get killed. Get out there and mix it up at the base of the Tower and move your emphasis away from melee weapons/firearms towards Agility Offensive Skills.

Both Snakeeyes and myself restarted our characters when we switched over to 1.2 and in the same game I overhauled him in leveling Power and Agility simply because he was hanging back and using predominantly melee weapons/firearms whereas I was dropkicking, sliding and tackling everyone I see. To give you an idea, in the same amount of playtime, I was Level 12 Agility while he is barely past Level 4.

A word on Survival Skills and Levels....nice to have, hardest to get. Other than doing missions, saving survivors and raiding airdrops for Disaster Releif Packages (DRP), there's no other way to earn Survival XP Points and the game deduct a great big chunk of those points everytime you get killed. Here's an easier way for starting characters.:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2u4m0v/i_found_two_airdrops_that_are_always_in_the/

The first airdrop is the easiest due to its proximity to the Tower and its relatively quiet location :-

https://twitter.com/Bud1304/status/560918721141960705/photo/1

Just keep loot farming it for DRPs (be sure to give it ample time to respawn its loot). Don't redeem your DRP to the Quarter MAster for Survival XP Points as soon as you get one. Accumulate your DRPs so you can redeem just enough DRPs for leveling up a Survival Rank. You do not want to accrue too much Survival XP on your character just in case you die. If you do not know how much XP each DRP will net you, then just throw all your DRPs into your Player Stash and just take one to redeem and note the XP points you get from that one DRP and then do the math. Note that for each successive Survival Rank you attain, you get more XP points from redeeming DRPs, so it pays to level up your Survival Rank when you are able. Again do not redeem DRPs if you don't have enough of them to give you a level-up.

#4145365 - 07/11/15 12:28 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
I do like the tackle skill but unless I am doing it wrong it looks more like a running forearm shiver.

I find slide hard to pull off, I may need to remap the slide key.

I also don't use nearly enough firecrackers when I have them.

Drop kick is a lot of fun but takes a while to recover from like you said...but it does seem to be the most devastating.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4145695 - 07/12/15 03:14 PM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Feetwet]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes

Arizona, USA
Ultimate Survivor is brutal when getting started. My players death count is higher than the national debt! As Harry alludes to, it gets better as your player improves his skills and gets stronger. Soon the tables turn and you are leaving carnage in your wake. I need to take a look at the key bindings to improve efficiency. I'm currently using the defaults and some of the combinations can be cumbersome.

#4145849 - 07/13/15 02:18 AM Re: A review and recommendation - Dying Light Coop with 'I Am Legion' mod [Re: Feetwet]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
I do like the tackle skill but unless I am doing it wrong it looks more like a running forearm shiver.

Well, as long as it works...

I find slide hard to pull off, I may need to remap the slide key.

My least favored and least used. As I said, if you are sliding onto a zed from a ways off, he tends to throw a right hook while you are mid-slide and that punch will connect thus interrupting your slide/legbreak.

I also don't use nearly enough firecrackers when I have them.

They will buy you just enough of a decoy window to do what you want done and get the hell out. Not all the zeds will go after the one firecracker, so you need to throw a couple to lure as many of them away as possible. Still a viable tactic if you want to first aid a wounded teammate. Firecracker, then dive in to help him up, and get out. Works often but not always. You can also decoy with a firecracker and while they stand around the noise, throw a Molotov after them. Throw a firecracker onto the pool of oil next to an explosive barrel. The flames will catch and in a few seconds *BOOM*....bunch of dead zeds.

Drop kick is a lot of fun but takes a while to recover from like you said...but it does seem to be the most devastating.

The quickest way to kill any single zed without weapons is to get him on the ground with an Upgraded Tackle (Ram) and then run up to him and use Stomp to crack his head open. However you do not get Stomp until you are well into mid-tier
in the Power Tree.

Once the Day/Night Cycle is active, consider camping the North facing Tower entrance during nighttime. Throw a UV Flare just a few paces in front of the entrance and engage all customers as they come pay you a visit. The UV puts them under distress and compromise their combat effectiveness. If you see one Volatile, run up and Dropkick or Tackle him. Don't let him get back up his feet and keep the momentum going until he is dead or you kick him over a fence. Note that Volatiles can still pounce on you even within the radius of the UV flare even if they are more reluctant to do so in the presence of flares...but they will still do so if you pissed them off enough. If you get pounced on tap the 'Use' key repeatedly to kick him off. Plenty of spike barrels in front of the entrance. If your opponent has a Spike barrel behind him, a dropkick or Tackle will get him impaled.

Unlike in daytime, you do not lose the Survivor XP points in your account if you die at nighttime. The longer you stay out of safezones at night, the more Survivor Points you 'earn'. The Survivor points you 'earn' won't show in your XP count until you redeem them by using the Tower elevator. Once you redeem them, they appear in your XP count and cannot be taken away if you die at nighttime, although you can still lose them if you die in daytime.

You can however lose Survvor XP that is 'earned' by dying at nighttime so you should periodically redeem these Survivor Points by using the Tower elevator. You earn a huge amount of Survivor XP during nighttime play if you spend time outside of Safezones. Agility and Power XPs are double at night. I did a 3 hour night Coop with Snakeeyes yesterday. Levelled up Power 6 times within three hours. Only ranked up Survivor 2 times and that is partly because we were not diligent in using the elevator to redeem XP points that we 'earn'.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.