carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
2 Sqn, Rfc
Flanders

19 June 1915.

I say, bit of Bad luck for A flight. B flight was returning from a Bombardment mission and A flight had 2 a/c on Roaming cover flight. One of the machines landed short of the field. Actually, the chap put it in the River. Head later the pilot broke his neck, but the gunner was ok.

2 points.

free image uploading

photo share

#4136646 - 06/19/15 07:01 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

That's a new one for me Carrick. Never saw a water landing before.

Lou,congratulations on the victory.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4136827 - 06/20/15 03:13 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

MFair:

Me Too. He must have been one of those Navy Pilots. I have read that in WWII a former Navy Sea Plane Pilot forgot what a/c he was landing and crashed a smaller airplane. The story went on to state that he made a normal landing approach for a Sea plane but was too high when he cut the power The smaller land a/c just fell out of the sky for the last 10 ft or so. Of course, if he had been in a Sea plane the landing would been spot on.

Lou: Good going

Last edited by carrick58; 06/20/15 03:15 AM.
#4137002 - 06/20/15 04:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

Bryan Smythe
12 June 1915
I just arrived in Abeele late yesterday. While I was getting billeting arranged I was informed that the squadron had just lost a machine that day. Apparently, a BE 2 had gone down with engine trouble, and the pilot had stalled and crashed while landing. He hadn’t been with the squadron very long. Lieut. Lloyd and my first job was to go through his belongings and pack them up for shipment to his family. Very unpleasant business. His name was Smith, Alan Smith. A bit disconcerting, myself and him having similar names.
Today, myself and Lieut. Lloyd were assigned an to do an artillery spotting mission. Because we were new to the area, we flew as a wingman for Lieut. Dillon. I had a terrible time keeping formation. Lieut. Dillon was flying an Fe2. They are slightly faster, and despite everything I did, I couldn’t keep formation with him. However, I’m not sure how much longer I will have that formation keeping problem. Rumor in the squadron is that they are turning the Fe’s in, and getting Be2s in exchange. No one here is happy about that change, and think it is a bit like trading a racehorse for a plow horse.
12 June-Approaching the Front Lines near the Lys River

Last edited by Combs; 06/20/15 05:02 PM.

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.
#4137011 - 06/20/15 05:14 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Combs]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

13 June 1915
Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

13 June 1915
No word yet on when the squadron is going to exchange the Fe2 for the Be2s. We are also supposed to be getting some additional scouting aircraft. We already have two, and Supply says a third is will be waiting for pick up at St. Omer very soon. While I would like to get a Scout, I still have trouble with just handling the BE. It looks like I’ll be assigned to “B” flight. The Flight Commander tells me not to worry about my lack of experience in the air, because at the rate they are flying now, I’ll have twenty hours by next week. That would double my flight time. I can’t imagine flying that much!
Today we did an artillery spotting mission to support a French attack to the south. Very quiet. We took no fire, and saw no hostile aircraft. I’m still having trouble keeping up with the Fee.

13 June 1915-Trying to keep up with an Fe2

#4137019 - 06/20/15 05:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
2 Sqn Rfc
Flanders

June 20, 1915.

Planned on a big party in the mess tonight, but after talking to the ADJ, I put in for a transfer instead. It seems the Row is over my shot down Aviatik. We finished the morning bombardment of the lines ( 3 a/c), They turned for home and I went hunting across the lines. Spotted and attacked 2 Recon Types, one broke off and headed for a Hun A.F. I followed and 41 rds later his motor stopped. He tried to glide to the field,but crashed into the Trees just shy of the landing area.
The ADJ stated NOT Confirmed. No witness No Victory. So I put in for a transfer .

2 Points

how to do a screenshot on a pc

screen shot

image upload no compression

upload gif from url

Last edited by carrick58; 06/20/15 05:54 PM.
#4137038 - 06/20/15 06:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Arnold Reinhardt
FA 294b
Colmar, Alsace

Less than 2 minutes after becoming air born, Arnold's BI suffered a system failure. He didn't have enough altitude to make it back to Colmar....

RIP Arnold salute

#4137046 - 06/20/15 07:16 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yikes! That's a grim outcome, MudWasp!

Anybody run into any 'Balance of Power' stuff yet?

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4137051 - 06/20/15 07:20 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Combs]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

14 June 1915
We had a bit of an adventure today. The CO had us patrol the front lines to the north, near the coast by Nieuport. Just as in the past two days, 2nd Lieut. Lloyd and I was flying wing on an F.E.2. Just as in my earlier flights, he lost us west of the front lines. We went ahead and did our patrol alone, but saw nothing. After patrolling and seeing nothing for twenty minutes or so, Lieut. Lloyd passed me a note that said “Fly to Ghistelles.” Ghistelle is a German airfield near the coast. So I flew there at about 8000 feet. The Germans must have been asleep, as no one bothered us.

When we got back and reported, the adjutant told us the CO would be mad about our little adventure. Apparently, the CO is a bit of a stickler for rules, and we had deviated from our mission plan. Lieut. Lloyd explained that we were merely showing a bit of initiative. We had patrolled along the front for as long as assigned, and seeing nothing had gone on a hunting expedition. While sympathetic, the adjutant maintained that the CO would still be upset with our deviation. “Have you met Capt. Strange?” he asked us. “He’s in ‘A’ flight. About a month ago, he was flying a scout and attacked an Aviatik. He used up a drum of ammunition for his Lewis. Since he couldn’t reach that wing-mounted Lewis while sitting down, he stood up in the cockpit to replace the drum. As soon as he did, damned if his machine didn’t’ flip right on its back. So there’s Capt. Strange, hanging onto the Lewis drum for dear life on an inverted airplane. Now that’s a pretty grim situation, but then the machine goes into a flat spin! Somehow, Capt. Strange managed to kick his legs back into the cockpit. He must have been able to hook onto something with his foot, because he was able to swing back into the cockpit and pull out of the spin. When he gets back, the CO was upset that he caused unnecessary damage to his cockpit! So yes, I think the CO will be upset. Fortunately for you, Sergeant, he will be upset with the Lieutenant, because he told you to fly there.”

Lieutenant Lloyd then told me to go back to the hanger and check on the aircraft, and that he would talk to the CO. I don’t know how that conversation went, because I never heard anything more. When I asked Lieut. Lloyd about it later, he just said that we were still on the flight schedule for tomorrow, so he guessed the CO was okay with it. I told the Lieutenant that in my opinion, the sound of the artillery to the south probably had more to do with us being on the schedule for tomorrow.
Historical Information from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Strange

14 June-Patrol near Neiuport

Capt. Strange

Last edited by Combs; 06/20/15 07:23 PM.

#4137053 - 06/20/15 07:26 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Yikes! That's a grim outcome, MudWasp!

Anybody run into any 'Balance of Power' stuff yet?

I'd like to fly the Pfalz two seater.
Can't find the squad lederhosen is in, FFA 4b, in the manual enlistment section
WOFF often gives a different squad label on different pages of the logbook

#4137064 - 06/20/15 07:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Found my way by auto enlist and then quit back to manual.
Arnold's older brother...

#4137111 - 06/20/15 10:49 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Combs, I really like your paper log reports. Very realistic.
Mudwasp, Bad way to bow out Bud. Good luck with number 2.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4137157 - 06/21/15 04:20 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

jawdrop Aw MudWasp what a way to go.

#4137162 - 06/21/15 04:53 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Never had a system failure that quick before, no altitude, trees in all directions except 180 back to Colmar. Couldn't clear the trees...

#4137180 - 06/21/15 05:38 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Mud: I hope your next pilot burns hard. smile

#4137349 - 06/21/15 06:15 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
2 Sqn, Rfc
Flanders

June 21, 1915.

I was finishing up a Photo Recon Hop near Messines when a Oil lines blew. I had bags of altitude so put down on our side on a dirt road. My gunner found that the oil line fitting came loose so the rubber hose just slid off and dumped most of the oil. Good thing I shut it down quickly. A farmer gave us the use of a cart so we could find a phone and call base.

image hosting 15mb

#4137465 - 06/21/15 09:47 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt. Bryan Smythe
Warbird Rising
6th Squadron, RAF
Abeele, Flanders, France

15-16 June 1915
The past two days have been front line patrols over the front with Dixon as lead. We’ve had good weather, but haven’t seen any Germans. The faster Fe2 keeps leaving us shortly after we reach altitude. The BE simply can’t keep formation with them. God help us if we actually come into contact with armed German scouts.

17 June 1915

We had a recon over the front lines with Baily and Dixon. The weather was raining. There were towering thunderheads, with bases at around 4000 feet. Very majestic and awe-inspiring. Unfortunately, they made it impossible to do any type of meaningful reconnaissance from 8000 feet. The flight leader didn’t deviate from the assigned altitude and drop lower, so we didn't accomplish much.

Last edited by Combs; 06/21/15 09:47 PM.

#4137469 - 06/21/15 09:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Kewl external view cloud pic, felt a twinge of vertigo...might just be the PBR whispering to me.

#4137561 - 06/22/15 04:15 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Scoreboard

Now that new planes are starting to enter the game, if you don't see yours listed feel free to add it under 'Other' and I will add the new model for next time.

#4137565 - 06/22/15 04:32 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Ofz. Ambrose Straub
FFA 48; Aviatik B.I
June 21, 1915

Have you ever met someone who so annoyed you that you didn't even bother trying to be pleasant or friendly? That is me and Flieger Hans Adam.

I transferred to FFA 48 in Alsace, figuring that if no one is going to give me or my observer a gun, I might as well enjoy the scenery. I arrived at Habsheim on the 18th and tried to make introductions to my new kommandant, Offizierstellvertreter Sandleitner, but Herr Sandleitner was still adjusting to the idea of running his own squad and could not be spared.

I spent the 18th flying around and admiring the sites. We are in an open area south of the forest at Colmar not far from where the Rhine enters Switzerland. I flew 'real' missions on the 20th and 21st. They seem to consist of reconnsaisance along the lower end of the Maginot Line to make sure the French don't try anything too awkward. Unlikely given the nature of the terrain.

In the first we flew near Belfort. I had three fliegers in company including Adam. As we didn't see anyone and still had fuel available, I chose to fly to the Swiss border and work our way back. Adam took exception to that, and while at mess that night he shared his unfavorable impression of Prussian hunters and their desire to dig in every little hole.

I replied that I wasn't Prussian, and I didn't have a favorable impression of his face. I would be pleased to rearrange it for him. Sandleitner made me stand down, but he sounded more amused than offended.

I know Flieger Adam talked to him, for the next morning I found he had his own flight while I would still lead the other fliegers. I avenged myself by forcing him to polish the cowl of my engine before we lifted off. Rank has certain advantages. It only occurred to me later that I gave him cause and opportunity to sabotage me, but neither happened.

It was just as well he was on his own, for I asked my observer, Papenberg, to take some pictures for me. They're a little blurry and grainy, but I like them:

This is soon after liftoff. Notice how the Alsacians are very civilized about surrounding their plots with trees and not those nasty titanium fences favored in Flanders.

This is the airfield just west of Colmar. Last night we listened in horror as Sandleitner told us how a pilot lost power just after take off and sailed into the trees.

The foothills are simply beautiful. I hope to explore them on foot someday.

We were so low over the French lines that machine guns blazed everywhere. No hits thankfully. I was more worried about sailing into the hills.

On the way home I skimmed over a lake to the southeast that I believe runs into the Rhine. There is a great rail bridge leading into Germany proper.

That evening Sandleitner let me know that Flieger Adam had been captured, apparently forced down over enemy trenches. I should be sorry for the man. Or humbled about how fragile we all are in this great cataclysmic war. I'm neither. If he escapes, fine. If not, perhaps I will appreciate his replacement more.

Page 12 of 227 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM