Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4134720 - 06/16/15 09:55 AM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Nebovolk Offline
Nebovolk  Offline

The Far East
I've changed my wording a bit and it seems to help. Instead of "7 thousand feet" I put "7000 feet". I also began listing locations in relation to towns/cities as opposed to airfield names (distance and compass direction). I'm also putting a surviving flight member as a witness, even if he's not near the action. Not sure if one, two, or all three changes are instrumental, but so far my last three claims have been confirmed, despite a flight member being fairly distant from the action.

#4134723 - 06/16/15 10:01 AM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I must have really bad luck then.
I have tried, it seems, all the possible permutations posted here and don't have what I would call a lot of luck.
I have stopped "cheating" and looking in the files for my confirmation chance but may have to revisit this.
Sounds like a research project for me.

#4134729 - 06/16/15 10:18 AM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Nebovolk Offline
Nebovolk  Offline

The Far East
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
I must have really bad luck then.
I have tried, it seems, all the possible permutations posted here and don't have what I would call a lot of luck.
I have stopped "cheating" and looking in the files for my confirmation chance but may have to revisit this.
Sounds like a research project for me.

Duke, here's an example from one of my previous three claims, just to give you an idea of how I'm filing. Of course there's no guarantee it'll work every time, but so far it seems to help.

Click to reveal..
Our patrol was heading north to Frontline Abschnitt AF537 at 5,500 feet, approximately 8 miles southeast of Luneville. I saw a flight of Aviatik B1 at 8000 feet approximately 1.5 miles west of me, their direction was heading west. I immediately turned to the west to pursue, climbing to 8,300 feet. I reached the enemy aircraft approximately 4.2 miles southwest of Luneville, just after they bombed Luneville airdrome. They turned east, I followed and immediately opened fire, hitting the enemy aircraft with many rounds. It turned and left the flight, and crashed into the ground about 1 mile west of Luneville.

and here's another, slightly different.

Click to reveal..
On patrol over enemy airfield at Ensisheim/Reguisheim at 7500 feet, I spotted a single Aviatik B1 from squadron FA(A)294b 1.5 miles northeast of our position, direction heading north at 8500 feet. I pursued, climbing to its altitude at 8500 feet. When the enemy aircraft reached Colmar, it turned west. That's where I intercepted it. We fired 39 rounds, 18 hit the enemy aircraft. We disabled its engine and it crashed into the ground approximately 8 miles southwest of Colmar.

I used to add more verbiage, such as how I maneuvered my craft for the kill, but decided maybe it was just confusing the claim processing officer. smile

Last edited by Nebovolk; 06/16/15 10:27 AM. Reason: To state that I've reduced claim wording.
#4134743 - 06/16/15 10:48 AM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks sir.
I will add that to my list. Got to get it right one of these days - or just get lucky.

#4134784 - 06/16/15 12:36 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Quote:
Claiming advice needed

Just joking... biggrin

Last edited by ArisFuser; 06/16/15 12:38 PM.
#4134801 - 06/16/15 01:00 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Or maybe not Aris!

#4134807 - 06/16/15 01:20 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: CatKnight]  
Al Lowe Offline
Sgt. in charge of the booze
Al Lowe  Offline

Mason, MI USA
Originally Posted By: CatKnight
Quote:

And then again, maybe the ground gunners took the enemy out and that is why your claim was rejected. All plausible scenarios have to be considered.

Or someone ran into the CO's office before you did yelling "Mine! Mine! Mine!" and the CO said "Okay, Billy Bishop. You can have it."
There's no proof that Bishop ever claimed someone else's victory. The closest you'll get is his first victory. And for that one, he turned in his CITAR a day late as he spent the afternoon and night near the front lines after gliding to a landing when his engine had stopped.

Apparently Bishop and a Lt. Bower claimed the same victory. After evaluating both claims, 13th Wing HQ awarded the claim to Bishop.

He certainly wasn't running in ahead of anyone yelling ""Mine! Mine! Mine!"

Al Lowe
http://www.billybishop.net
http://www.redbaron3d.net/
Current System:
Windows 10
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz
#4134834 - 06/16/15 02:01 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Al, Catknight was joking. DIH, I don't think it really matters what you write in the description. You've looked at the claim files and you've seen that you start with almost the same percentage chance. I believe the game then adds or subtracts various percentages from that base chance and then rolls a die. I think Aris is probably the one who is closest to the truth.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4134841 - 06/16/15 02:13 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Banjoman]  
Al Lowe Offline
Al Lowe  Offline

Mason, MI USA
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Al, Catknight was joking. DIH, I don't think it really matters what you write in the description. You've looked at the claim files and you've seen that you start with almost the same percentage chance. I believe the game then adds or subtracts various percentages from that base chance and then rolls a die. I think Aris is probably the one who is closest to the truth.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes with regard to Bishop. I've been defending him on the aerodrome forum since about 1998. smile

With regards to claims, I sometimes wonder if I just pick a key and hold it down, thus typing any thing for say 500 characters, if it will get approved.

My best pilot, before he died, had 7 out of 8 claims approved. The one that was rejected had a witness. 4 of the other 7 approved claims had no witness. Go figure. He also was awarded the DSO and the MC. Too bad he croaked. smile

Al Lowe
Current System:
Windows 10
#4134848 - 06/16/15 02:24 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

No worries Al, we all have our passions. Bishop was obviously a helluva combat pilot, despite his Kanye West sized ego and/or any bastardy attributes history may have assigned to his character.

As to the claims in WOFF - well - the review board has a lot to do with the outcome:

[Linked Image]

Attached Files WOFF_Claims_Office.jpg

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4134853 - 06/16/15 02:33 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
rofl

#4134925 - 06/16/15 04:47 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Banjoman]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front

BJM my brain and common sense say you are 100% correct as you are right - I have used the various formats for a claim posted here then check the % chance in the file.
Yet some people keep saying "No problem. My stuff is almost always confirmed."
I don't get it. Maybe I need to light incense and THEN pray.

#4134941 - 06/16/15 05:44 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
The only way to really get a definitive test is for everybody to use the exact same workshop option. Some people are probably using the Easy option and have forgotten, I mean do you have all of your workshop settings memorized. We should get a small group of people together set everything exactly the same and then see what happens. That would be an interesting test. I still think Aris is correct and that on the Normal setting it just all boils down to luck.

#4134942 - 06/16/15 05:45 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
DIH,

Know what you mean. I've been going through a period where I believe the only way to get a confirmation is to show the Recording Officer an affidavit signed by the Hun swearing that (a) he is a Hun (b) he was shot down by me (c) he didn't like it and (d) he's dead.

They're hard to come by.

#4134983 - 06/16/15 07:12 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

I didn´t say it´s just pure luck Banjoman wink. It´s an obscure combination of factors that makes confirmation an art in itself. Luck may play a role too, and it may certainly be a key factor but, who knows, only devs know this for sure, and they won´t explain the inner mechanics of the "Normal" claim system. Ever. Absolutely not. Not in this life...So, it`s just Easy claim system, or rejections galore.

Last edited by ArisFuser; 06/16/15 07:13 PM.
#4134996 - 06/16/15 07:28 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Wish they would separate claims from promotions in the Workshop each with their own setting.
And yes, I have placed that on the Wish List before.

#4135022 - 06/16/15 08:02 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Haha, Aris I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I'm the one who believes that Normal involves a large measure of luck.

#4135025 - 06/16/15 08:13 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Banjoman]  
Al Lowe Offline
Al Lowe  Offline

Mason, MI USA
The only way to really get a definitive test is for everybody to use the exact same workshop option. Some people are probably using the Easy option and have forgotten, I mean do you have all of your workshop settings memorized. We should get a small group of people together set everything exactly the same and then see what happens. That would be an interesting test. I still think Aris is correct and that on the Normal setting it just all boils down to luck.
I don't know about anyone else, but I've only used the "normal" setting since I started playing the game.

I have to think though, based on my results, I think there's a little man inside the program with a set of percentile dice who rolls them on each claim to see if he's gonna reject or approve each one. smile

Al Lowe
Current System:
Windows 10
#4135029 - 06/16/15 08:25 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

No Al, it's four men in a little room, as shown in my earlier post in this thread today. winkngrin

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4135042 - 06/16/15 08:32 PM Re: Claims advice needed [Re: Nebovolk]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
That was funny Lou.
Wonder if they can be bought off with a bottle of adult beverage.

And in looking at the post claim % it looks like the correct (closest?) witness seems to be the most important factor...and the only factor it seems. Location, weather, time of day, don't seem to matter a hoot - nor the verbiage used.
Who can forgot the famous test where gibberish was typed in the claim form and the % chance did not change?
The problem is in all my shoot downs the closest witness is out of sight or too far away to be correctly identified, without cheating my arse off, bout 99% of the time.
And this would be fine, I guess, except (dare I say it?) in "real life" if I saw a Se shoot down a Alb in flames, but just far enough away not to to see the victors face, I would mentioned it in my AAR. Not wait for the pilot to ask everyone, post- flight, to "Make sure you bring that up for me okay? That was you right?" on the ground later.
Yep I would go for the middle setting ("Easier"?) in the claims if they would separate out the already too rapid promotions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM