Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4365215 - 06/21/17 12:36 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I bought it and played through the first couple of levels and it's all run perfectly for me thus far. I had read that some people suffer trouble once they reach Karnaca but it's yet to affect me, but there's still time.

Really enjoying this one. I had no idea that Stephen Russel did Corvo's voice. Hearing him makes me feel like this is Thief 4 and not the actual Thief 4.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4365221 - 06/21/17 01:03 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've played through the game as Corvo and Emily and both experiences were really enjoyable.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4366746 - 06/29/17 01:55 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
PM, have you done the New Game +? That allows you to mix and match both characters' powers correct?

I finished the game as Corvo, and a few thoughts. Playthrough was 30 hours on the dot, which coincidentally was exactly how long it took me to play through Dishonored 1 without the DLC. I tend to view Thief 2 Metal Age as the pinnacle of the stealth/sneaker genre, and for better or worse I tend to compare all new game of this type to it.

Overall, I liked the game. I had the distinct feeling that this was Thief 4 as I mentioned earlier. That was due in large part to Steven Russell's voice work. There's no way you could not have that ingrained in your head if you're a long-time fan of the Thief series. Despite that, I felt at times he perhaps lacked inspiration, delivering his lines with less aplomb than I would have expected. In addition, he was given some rather lame dialog in parts. There were quite a few times that I rolled my eyes at the script. Storyline was not the game's greatest strength.

Clockwork soldiers and Overseers (evolved from Hammerites/Mechanists and their creations) were other things that I felt could have come straight out of the Thief universe. It's easy to see Deadly Shadows becoming close to what Dishonored 2 is.

The Outsider. Hmm, in Dishonored 1 I think he fit. You need a way to show how Corvo gets his powers. But he seemed very much out of place in this one. The voice actor they chose doesn't help any. Perhaps the developers agree and that's why the next DLC is 'Death of the Outsider".

Mechanically, the game works well. Blink is one of the most useful 'talents' in any game. But honestly, most of the upgrade choices aren't for me. I mean, by the third mission I had my Corvo fully upgraded to where I wanted him. I used Blink and a little Dark Vision. I also upgraded the agility tree. Other than that I didn't care about runes the rest of the game. Combat isn't my style, and in the few instances I was forced to do battle, a 'vanilla' Corvo is more than capable. I did invest in Possession toward the end to spend the runes I had, but I didn't end up using it. Overall I found I didn't care much about bonecharms or runes, once I had my essential powers.

I found D2 more difficult than D1 due to what felt was better enemy detection ability. I felt like I was spotted much more easily in this one. But that can be adjusted to. I also felt like it was just too bright. Very little of the game takes place at night or in the dark. I guess it's a design decision to make the player feel more vulnerable, but I like my sneaking in the shadows!

Level design is good. When I play a game like this I always look up. I live in the rafters. Whenever possible I take a perch and observe. There was plenty of verticality in this game, but it felt like less than D1. Blink allows you to easily reach these spots. Who needs rope arrows when you can just Blink there smile I never resorted to spoilers or guides to play through, so I really don't know how much I missed, how many alternate paths there were. It must have been quite a bit though as I missed a hell of a lot of loot and blueprints according to the debriefs. But I was rarely stuck. I played on the default medium difficulty setting. I only managed to ghost 3 of the 9 levels. I could have reloaded more often to ghost more levels, but that takes something away from the experience. I just play and see where the chips fall, so to speak.

Disclaimer: There was one time I had to consult the internet, in the Crack in the Slab mission where I completely failed to spot a high path through the kitchen.

I had posted earlier with concerns about PC performance. I have a fast box and it ran fine. With vsynch on I maintained 60 fps throughout the game at Ultra settings except for the opening areas of the Clockwork Mansion where it dropped to 30 fps. Speaking of that level, it really is cool. I knew of it from reading reviews, and I love seeing stuff like this. Also the time-shifting in the Crack in the Slab mission was really cool too.

Good game. The two levels I just mentioned were innovative and fun. Overall a really good stealth game let down slightly by an uninspired story (another usurper of the crown), some lethargic voice acting and dialog, and for me at least, disinterest in many of the core features (runes, bonecharms, items).

#4366749 - 06/29/17 02:11 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that excellent review Dbond and I largely agree with it. Both the "Crack in the Slab" and the Overseer Mansion levels are absolutely brilliant and creative in my opinion.

I did indeed play the New game + mode but I just stuck with using Corvo's powers. I played the game twice as Corvo and once as Emily.

I'm a fanatic completionist so I searched every square foot of every level so I could find all of the loot and other items like blueprints and ammo. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/29/17 02:12 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4366754 - 06/29/17 02:39 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You found everything? Nicely done. I'm more mission-focused than discovery I guess. Or at least on that run. If I play again maybe I'll take more time to look around

I never did work out how to re-wire Clockwork Soldiers. I tried a few times to get close enough but was spotted each time.

#4366756 - 06/29/17 02:46 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
You found everything? Nicely done. .

Not really. I found most of it on my own but I consulted the internet to find a couple of the hard to find paintings. smile

#4572399 - 06/21/21 04:50 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Digging this one out after four years. I had burnt out a bit on what I've been playing, mostly various Total War titles. Had a bash about Steam but came away empty handed, even if a few things I saw caught my attention. So that means having a look down my Steam library and see if anything needs playing, or got passed over. A few yes, but I focused in on Dishonored 2 since I had only played as Corvo. And I thought well why not give Emily a go? Same game, but a different character with a new set of powers. I've always thought that Domino would be fun to play with and this new set of abilities might be enough to support a second playthrough and keep it fresh enough.

Still in the opening level, and a ways to go. My first run only took about 30 hours so not expecting much different. Anyway, who played through as Emily and which powers combo did you prefer?

I know this is a game that everyone has moved on from. But having started it I was instantly reminded of what I like about Arkane games. I'm a big fan of their UIs, how they pulse and flash and fade. Speaking of Arkane, I wonder what's in their pipeline? I had read a while ago that their Austin team was working on something fantasy in Unreal 4 engine, but never caught wind of any other details. I wish this gang were punching them out at least one or two per year. Need some new Arkane games!

#4572400 - 06/21/21 04:55 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Still in the opening level, and a ways to go. My first run only took about 30 hours so not expecting much different. Anyway, who played through as Emily and which powers combo did you prefer?

I played through as Emily but it's been so long that I don't remember what her unique powers are. However, I do remember that I went totally to the "dark side" as Emily so I could achieve the maximum "chaos". I gave no quarter which meant I killed all enemies on sight and I went in " guns a'blazing". It definitely created a much different game experience from when I played as Corvo (maximum stealth and always knocked out enemies except in a couple of impossible situations).

#4572401 - 06/21/21 05:05 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's a good idea. I know you and I both approach this sort of game from a pure stealth experience, so to switch it up could help to freshen it up. Emily's powers are

Far Reach.
Dark Vision.
Mesmerize.
Domino.
Shadow Walk.
Doppelganger

Far Reach is probably mandatory for me, even if it works differently from Blink, which is one of the coolest and most useful talents in any game. I'll mess around with them and see which I settle on. Domino surely will be another one and then pick the third to run with. Probably Shadow Walk. In both Dishonored games I mostly ignored everything aside from a couple of essential abilities. And I hardly paid attention to runes and bonecharms, so maybe give them a little more attention this time through?

#4572402 - 06/21/21 05:11 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And I hardly paid attention to runes and bonecharms, so maybe give them a little more attention this time through?

The runes and bonecharms really add a lot of buffs to your abilities so I think it depends on how much of a difficulty challenge you want. If you get the runes and bonecharms it might make the game too easy for you.

Then again, you miss out on some of the lore of the Dishonored universe if you avoid getting the runes and bonecharms.

#4572438 - 06/22/21 04:53 AM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I had to uninstall D2 unfortunately as it just runs so poorly. I've literally spent multiple hours just trying to tweak the game to get it to run acceptably and it refuses to do so. The front half dock area and first layer into Karnaca ran okay after tweaking until I hit the internal areas and it became atrocious. Its unplayable for me which is unfortunate as I loved the first Dishonored and played it twice, Knife of Dunwall twice and the Brigmoore Witches once. I think approaching 150-200 hours. I really, really wish Arkane had not used whatever engine this is because its terrible. I've read plenty of posts with people with even better graphics cards than I do who still have a bad time with it. That's the frustrating thing too is that its kind of half and half with this game. People like me who can't make it run well enough to be playable and others that have few issues. This game's engine is notorious though and all you have to do is look at all the bizarre off the wall PC tweaking stuff OUTSIDE of the game people have done to try to make it work. Left me really disappointed and a bad taste in my mouth.

Even more bizarre, Arkane used Cryengine to make Prey. I have never had a Cryengine game run smooth regardless of hardware. It is only now that I can play Crysis maxed and it runs smooth. Crysis 2 was a little different and seemed more optimized at launch but Crysis 3 can be a nightmare. Somehow Arkane made Prey with Cryengine and I can literally max it out with full 60fps and no hiccups. I don't know how they did it but they did. Why could they have not done better with Dishonored 2? I'm of the opinion that I wish they had made the sequel using the same engine as the first and I'd be happy. Maybe one day but D2 just won't play nice for me no matter what I have tried. It should be said that too that there is no reason that I can see for it to run as bad as it does.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4572450 - 06/22/21 10:55 AM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Speaking of Arkane, I wonder what's in their pipeline? I had read a while ago that their Austin team was working on something fantasy in Unreal 4 engine, but never caught wind of any other details. I wish this gang were punching them out at least one or two per year. Need some new Arkane games!

I totally lost track of Arkane after they made Wolfenstein: Youngblood which I really enjoyed playing coop.

You made me curious though and I checked online. Apparently they are working on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathloop

edit: I read the Wiki page on Arkane and this excerpt perfectly explains why we saw so much influence from "System Shock" in "Prey".

From the Wiki page,

"Raphaël Colantonio had been part of the French offices of Electronic Arts (EA) during the 1990s, as part of the quality assurance and localisation team for some of Origin Systems' titles including System Shock."

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/22/21 12:58 PM.

#4572458 - 06/22/21 01:22 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Coot, I wish I could help. It does not help to say it runs really nicely for me.When I played it the first time (on a rig with a 1070) it ran at 60 fps with v synch on at all times aside from the opening of the Clockwork Mansion level where frames cut in half. I'm now playing on a 1660Ti and it runs really nicely on this box too, but I have a long way to go to get back to the mansion. I didn't bother with changing any default graphics settings, and I don't think it defaults to highest. Matter of fact I should look at those, I probably have some overhead to turn some stuff up.

So why would it run so well for one and so poorly for another? Are you still on the same box as before? If it's been a long time maybe a hardware change or driver change in the meantime may have fixed it for you. You don't need my advice I know, but it would be great if you got a chance to play it the way it should be.

So I jumped back in to continue and then started completely over. The last time I played it was 4 years ago and that was a different PC. But I thought what the hell and checked to see if somehow it had saved my old games, which would let me play New Game Plus. And don't you know, it did. So I started over as Emily in that mode. It's pretty cool, because now all abilities are open from both characters, and it looks like it carried over all the unused runes I had from my first run. Didn't realize this at first and played through the opening stages, and got my first two runes. Then I went to upgrade and it said I was carrying 29! Holy moly. So needless to say I am starting the new run as a more advanced character than the first time around haha. Quite nice really to have these abilities and make the second run more fun, with more approach options through the early missions.

Thanks for that info PM. I read that wiki you linked and it sounds in a sense like Outer Wilds, with how the gameplay is on a time loop, where you keep progressing despite constantly starting over. Seems they may have liked the vibe with Mooncrash and thought of other ways to implement that sort of concept.

#4572460 - 06/22/21 01:40 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Dang! I'm actually tempted to reinstall both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 and replay them due to this thread. biggrin

Concerning Mooncrash, I didn't like the time constraint AT ALL. I hate feeling like I'm being rushed through a level. That was the major downer for me with that DLC.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/22/21 01:41 PM.

#4572461 - 06/22/21 02:16 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I never picked Mooncrash up. And I really rate Prey. One of my favorite games of the past five years.

NG+ is cool, yeah give it a go if you haven't. I'd be interested to know your rune situation. because even though I said it carried over unused runes, how would I remember? Maybe these are all runes recycled, not just ones I hadn't used in the first run.

I am going for Shadow, to play through without being seen. My advanced start in NG+ will make that easier to do. Inspired by PM's post earlier I am also playing it more lethally. I tend to approach these sorts of game with stealth and passivity, leaving some unconscious bodies in my wake, but generally trying to avoid altering the scene. Ghosting missions is how I liked to approach the Thief games for instance. And not just avoiding being spotted, but re-closing doors, windows, and other things to erase any trace of my presence. But this time it's personal lol. I'm approaching it as the empress wronged and out for vengeance and well, people must die. This opens up different paths and game mechanics that I would have left unused the first time. An ability like Domino is game changing coupled with some sort of lethal attack.

So since I could get several abilities right at the start of Karnaca, I went with

-- Far Reach. Sort of like Blink, but instead of instant teleportation to the spot chosen, this ability 'grabs' physical space and pulls you to it. Upgraded, it can also retrieve objects and pull enemies to you to be impaled or other means of murder.

-- Dark Vision. I tend to not use this sort of ability, as it feels like cheating in a stealth game. Abilities that allow you to see through walls, see what you hear and otherwise negate environmental constraints are a bit OP and remove much of the danger from being surprised which is sort of central to the stealth premise. But I think I need it to be more thorough. My first time around I missed a lot, so this ability should clue me in to places I would have otherwise missed.

-- Shadow Walk. This transforms you in to a shadow, that can slip quickly and unseen past enemies and allow you in to spaces that you would normally need to transform in to a rat to reach. It's not entirely undetectable, get too close and you'll still be spotted. But this allows me to quickly navigate open and brightly lit spaces much more easily.

-- Domino. I haven't actually used it yet. But it links targets together so that what you do to one, happens to all. That seems like it will be a lot of fun to play with, and can be very powerful in navigating heavily patrolled and guarded spaces. Having all those runes in NG+ also allowed me some enhancements, one of which is the masterwork Dust Moth Wrappings, which further reduces visibility in well lit areas.

#4572463 - 06/22/21 02:26 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

-- Domino. I haven't actually used it yet. But it links targets together so that what you do to one, happens to all. That seems like it will be a lot of fun to play with, and can be very powerful in navigating heavily patrolled and guarded spaces.

I remember now. Yes, I used Domino quite a lot when I played as Emily. It's especially valuable for those levels where you have several of those lethal robotic guards.

#4572524 - 06/23/21 06:46 AM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Maybe one day if I can upgrade to a newer card it may help but that can't happen any time soon. I have a GTX 970 4GB it runs most "newer" games that I have just fine. I really like the world and universe of Dishonored. It gets a bit too esoteric and occultic at times for me though, however I do love the dark, Victorian, mildly steam punk alternate universe.

I know you don't use consoles Panzer and I don't know if you do either Dbond but in the future if you do, I can not recommend enough The Order:1886 to you all. Its been one of my favorite games in recent years and in my humble opinion, it is a gem and small masterpiece of a game. So much so that Sir Galahad became one of my favorite game characters. I do not at all understand the bad report it often gets because it is not deserved in the least. It is a little short and unfortunately some of the monster fights don't happen the way they seemed to advertise but its not true at all to call the game a QTE filled movie. It is not all. The graphics rendering to this day are exquisite, the voice acting is tremendous, the story is intriguing and engaging full of conspiracy and betrayal, and the cover-based style gun combat is done RIGHT. Weapon modeling is also impressive. Its a beautiful game much deserving of a sequel. I would love to see a sequel where Galahad is vindicated for the faithful, loyal soldier that he is and perhaps make the game have semi-open world levels. This game has one of the coolest levels in my opinion in "Agamemnon Rising". I would also love to see more spooky encounters and serious battles with the non-human foes in the game's universe which is quite compelling. Though its subject matter is technically fanciful because of the Lycan creatures, at the core it has a unique rendering of the Arthurian Legend but it feels as though its grounded in reality. Sorry I diverted the discussion somewhat but its a game that I wish folks would play if they haven't and one whose developers deserve the chance to create a sequel.

Last edited by Coot; 06/23/21 09:32 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4572536 - 06/23/21 10:35 AM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot

I know you don't use consoles Panzer

Last one I played was the Super Nintendo while I was in college because I wanted to play the three original trilogy Star Wars games that were made for that console.

That gives you a rough idea of how much I'm into consoles. biggrin

#4572548 - 06/23/21 12:41 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the recommendation Coot. We have both PS4 and X Box in the house, but I rarely play on them. That's the mini-me's territory.

I'm glad I decided to revisit D2. having a lot of fun with the NG+. Playing through these early levels as a late-game build freshens it up. I'm still missing too much stuff. There's an achievement for finding 60% of the loot, and I am barely holding that level. I feel like I'm sticking my nose in most places, but clearly I am not. I took Dark Vision to help with this but I forget to use it.

However, Domino is awesome. Working the scene to tag the targets, then firing a bolt at one only to have it chain-kill around corners is a lot of fun and very powerful. Spaces that were difficult to traverse in my stealth/pacifist run are now free and clear since the most heavily guarded areas can be easily cleared in a blink.

Speaking of Blink.... when I was reading about Emily's powers and Far Reach in particular I thought I'd still opt for Blink in NG+. But I wanted to try it first, and it's even better. It has all the mobility potential of Blink, but being able to retrieve items from distance is great. If you've played the game you'll know of a spot you come across in town on the way to Addermire station, to take the trolley to the institute. There's a group of guards and citizens standing in the square where one is endlessly preaching a sermon or the laws of the city, whatever he is on about. Right next to this group is a rune and bonecharm and other doodads out in the open in daylight. I skipped it first time. I could have killed all of them, but that wasn't how I was playing. This time, I just got within range and used Far Reach to grab the loot unseen and off I went. A very versatile and useful ability.

Shadow Walk is great too, especially the take downs you do out of it. Gruesome and creepy and awesome.

I've since added Bend Time but yet to use it. This is the only Corvo ability I am invested in for this run. There's an achievement for killing 6 enemies in 1.5 seconds and I reckon Bend Time is needed for that. Maybe stop time, set up one Domino, shoot, then stop time again to do a second one to hit six kills? I'll try to figure out a way to get that done.

Speaking of achievements.... playing this way, with the killing and all, has netted me one I failed to get the first time. Actually several. But there's the one for saving the citizen from being pushed by the guards in to the wall of light. I couldn't see a way to do this with out killing them the first run. But this time I was able to Domino-chain them and hit the closest guard with a bolt to the noggin and saved that dude in the nick of time.

Another one involves saving the newspaper publisher. Not sure I had even found this the first time through, having I guess gone down the other side of the street the first time. And to illustate how I played first time, I didn't even get the achievement for taking down 20 unaware enemies, through the entire playthrough! Got this right off the bat this time through.

So yeah, a different character, a new set of powers and a different approach are breathing new life in to this old game.

#4572549 - 06/23/21 12:52 PM Re: Dishonored 2 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

.I'm still missing too much stuff. There's an achievement for finding 60% of the loot, and I am barely holding that level..

You must think vertically at all times. Much of the loot is hidden away in rooms that are several stories high and the only way to get into them is via the window. Always be on the look out for open windows on buildings.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.