Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#4133695 - 06/14/15 12:25 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Bad0pel Offline
Bad0pel  Offline

Massachusetts
Alas!! i got it to work. @Duke yes i just installed it doing the 2 pack per launch method and works like a charm. @OldHat Thank yo so much, this mod makes it fun flying a Gotha now! i hated flying to a target for 36mins Just for me and my entire flight to be ripped to shreds by 3 Strutters in a matter of Seconds...Always seemed like 2 shots would take down a Gotha, now they gotta really fight to down me...and same to claim a kill as a gunner. Huzzah!

#4133697 - 06/14/15 12:27 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Excellent. Thank you for the info.

#4133720 - 06/14/15 01:44 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
First off this really is an excellent mod Oldhat! notworthy

Just got a fuel tank hit and then ran out of gas after a good amount of fights.Has fuel lines being damaged been lessened also?One of the things that I noticed in a bomber career is that with an almost certainty,attacking enemies bases with ground weapons will cause me to lose all my fuel.

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 06/14/15 01:45 AM.
#4133774 - 06/14/15 08:49 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks guys.

I'm working on a fix which may allow the installation of one big file instead of 10 groups. Duke pointed out that one of the aircraft files gets reconstructed and that was the problem for all those errors.

So, what I've tested out and seems to work was adding the reconstructed files into the MOD. I will have the download link up later today hopefully.

Wolfstriked, the fuel system was not modified. I may be mistaken, but I believe that the fuel tank's location inside the aircraft made it easy to puncture, and also, OBD had added good values to its DM, so that's why I left it alone. But these are the structures which I reduced their chances to hit:

Engine from 100% to 50%
All cables from 50% (and 100%) to 20%
Ailerons from 100% to 50%
Oil reservoir from 100% to 30%
Guns from 100% to 30%
Struts and stabilizers from 100% to 30%

Any value below 10% made it almost impossible to score a hit and with little to no damage. So far, these values seem to work good. Anyone see things differently, let me know.

#4133779 - 06/14/15 09:32 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just got back from two action packed campaign flights with 56 in April 1917.
To test the mod, strictly from a DM perspective, I turned OFF the "Girly Man" wind for this mission.

What I found most interesting was the effect the mod had on the AI.

For me I picked up a couple of wing holes (just a couple) in the first mission and suffered no apparent loss of maneuverability (which is nice if I have no strut, spar, cable, or aileron damage) so that was cool for only a couple of holes.
As for my ability to shoot and kill planes I didn't notice a huge difference and got kills both mission - unconfirmed of course. First kill the Alb went out of control after a couple of passes and crashed and the 2nd I lit him up at point blank range (approx. 20 rounds?) and I got a flame ball (explosion?) and he lost his wings and went down.
I am a pretty good shot when I have a gunsight in front of my face (go RFC!), know how to work WOFF deflection and trajectory, plus with no wind the Se is a great gun platform. We'll see how things go with the wind ON.

Now for the most interesting part: the effect on the AI.
Granted this was only two missions, and in nice weather, but it seemed the the dogfight lasted longer (naturally enough I suppose) and that the fight stayed more "compact and active" and didn't quickly spread out all over the place, and out of sight, like they usually do - presumably as the AI didn't suffer "end the mission and run" damage levels as quickly. First mission losses on both side were low (losses vs claims) but in the second it was more like the stock DM with 3 claims vs no losses not including my own. Again only two missions so we will see in more flights.

Now I have to be careful here so I don't ruin the WOFF magic but some things are just common computer game sense.
OldHat when you say you reduced the damage %'s I will guess there is an area on the plane (damage box) that, with the stock system, if I hit that box with the stock DM there was a 100% chance of suffering, for example, engine damage. You took that 100% chance and reduce it to 50%? I guess without knowing how "big" the damage boxes are I will trust your judgement on how "real" these %'s are. No complaints yet though.
Out of curiosity how many types of engine damage are there? Without getting into a lot of detail but, knowing how engines and bullets work together, you are correct that every bullet hit wouldn't necessarily impair an engine.

#4133795 - 06/14/15 10:37 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It was a wild guess on what percentages to use without knowing where the damage boxes are located, but I really was trying to keep a reasonable amount of plane maneuverability after being hit from far away. So, the percentages are not real, but rather of how I'd like a lightly damaged plane to feel.

The number of engine damage boxes varied depending on the plane.... like a Gotha (which had many of them) or an EI (which had only a few). Again, it was purely a guess on my part to reduce it down to 50% just to keep the "feel" about right and not turn them into indestructible flying tanks.

You're right that it will take time to realize the effects of this MOD as there are endless possiblities of EA encounters in WOFF. But I do like how both your missions turned out, actually. One was a bit different and one was like stock WOFF. That sounds reasonable to me.

I'd still like to improve the "feel", so I'm open to suggestions on what to modify for either all the planes or a specific group.

#4133802 - 06/14/15 11:17 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Wish I could quit my job and be a professional WOFF'er but the market for a WW1 computer flying ace just ain't there.
Hoping to get a flight or two in latter today. Lotsa stupid real life stuff to do first. sigh

#4133825 - 06/14/15 12:40 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I think the biggest thing that can be done to add to the feeling is to add visual feedback from the dogfighting. What makes them feel like flying tanks is pouring tons of bullets into them and seeing no real effect on the plane. They keep flying and maneuvering as if they hadn't been hit at all. You don't know if you are hitting them or have any idea how much damage they have actually taken...or where they took it.

Possible effects that could help the immersion experience of combat

1. If they had more smoke puffs when rounds hit. Smaller ones too, maybe half the size of the effect now.
2. If it was easier to make them trail smoke.
3. If after a certain number of rounds hit the wings they would maybe show wing damage somehow instead of just black dots. Right now, the wings look perfect and then suddenly they just totally explode off the plane without any hint of when that is going to happen. If you could see the quality of the wings being degraded first, you'd know you were doing damage and be more accepting that they finally gave out.
4. If more planes would catch fire than had wings literally explode off the plane. I doubt total wing failure was more common than fire.
5. Sputtering engine sound effect when the engines get damaged after a certain point, especially when trailing smoke.

It's not so much the Damage Model itself that needs tweaking as the graphic effects associated with the damage that needs to be displayed so you can see the effect that you are having.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4133848 - 06/14/15 01:29 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Yep, it's for graphic people. However, I can try to work out when the puffs of smoke appear tomorrow.

------------

Latest update to the MOD in a single file on the first page of this thread... NO ERRORS on my system!!

#4133854 - 06/14/15 01:41 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: OldHat
Yep, it's for graphic people. However, I can try to work out when the puffs of smoke appear tomorrow.

------------

Latest update to the MOD in a single file on the first page of this thread... NO ERRORS on my system!!

Well, I think the graphics are already done. It's just associating them with certain levels of damage.

There are already graphics showing wing spars, etc. When enough bullet damage happens to wings, show the first level of wing spar damage where some of the fabric has been torn away. Then it's not so surprising if the wings collapse later.

Same with smoke. There is already something that causes planes to trail smoke. Just adjust DM so it links to smoking effect when engines take X damage.

That kind of things is what I am thinking.

#4133859 - 06/14/15 01:54 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
OldHat;

You are getting deeper and deeper into modding! Be careful you don't end up on the dev team or you'll age twice as fast! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4133866 - 06/14/15 02:07 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: Hellshade]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Originally Posted By: OldHat

------------

Well, I think the graphics are already done. It's just associating them with certain levels of damage.

There are already graphics showing wing spars, etc. When enough bullet damage happens to wings, show the first level of wing spar damage where some of the fabric has been torn away. Then it's not so surprising if the wings collapse later.

Same with smoke. There is already something that causes planes to trail smoke. Just adjust DM so it links to smoking effect when engines take X damage.

I like it.

#4133895 - 06/14/15 03:06 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellshade

The XDP file calls up effects like sounds, smoke and flying debris. I've seen a dds file for damage, but it's not called up by the XDP file. Maybe WOFF uses another way to call up the damage and display it on the plane as a graphic overlay, but I don't know how it's done yet.

#4133898 - 06/14/15 03:10 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

It's a fine balance Hellshade, with more smoke people complain that it has been smoking for too long and not gone down yet.
Yeah more looks good but unbalances elsewhere. We shall see anyway we were already working on changes to DM for better results hopefully something will emerge.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4133903 - 06/14/15 03:18 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Pol, I'm glad to see you drop by. While you're here, would you consider adjusting your DM to be better than what I have made, but with the same idea about keeping maneuverability in lightly damaged aircraft?

#4133917 - 06/14/15 03:50 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Polovski
It's a fine balance Hellshade, with more smoke people complain that it has been smoking for too long and not gone down yet.
Yeah more looks good but unbalances elsewhere. We shall see anyway we were already working on changes to DM for better results hopefully something will emerge.

That's what I love about OBD. They never stop improving, no matter how great it already is. Looking forward to seeing what you do sir. You guys never fail to impress.

#4134028 - 06/14/15 07:49 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes Olhat we'll do something along the same lines. Maybe even in the Addon#2.

Thanks Hellshade, yeah WM is already looking at effects may be in a near update.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4134034 - 06/14/15 07:57 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida

Thanks Hellshade, yeah WM is already looking at effects may be in a near update.

Awesome. I think there's currently a little bit of a disconnect in the experience of shooting like crazy at a plane and you don't see any actual damage represented (bullet dots if in Normal res, nothing if in High res) and then all of a sudden the wings just totally fail without warning. I'm sure that did actually happen sometimes, but maybe just some kind of intermediate wing damage graphic or something is my thoughts. Just different things showing your rounds are having an impact.

Anyways...can't wait. Whatever you do, I'm buying it.

#4134048 - 06/14/15 08:32 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: Polovski]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front

Wow.
Seems like I have been using that word around here a lot lately.

#4134518 - 06/15/15 06:17 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I would just like to say that while I am always happy when the devs look into things, I fully appreciate the fact that Damage Models are very much a "moving target", a lot like Flight Models and AI behavior, where they (the devs) will never come up with something that makes everyone happy. So, I don't think the current DM is "broken" at all or in any way, despite some of my personal preferences. And that's all they are. Personal preferences.

I think especially because my shooting skills are different from somebody elses, we may be getting very, very different results and it's not the DM "fault" at all. Sometimes I get lucky and shoot stuff down fast, where others may not be so lucky as often. If the Devs changed the DM to make it harder for me to shoot things down, then others may feel like it becomes impossible to kill AI planes and you end up with "Flying tank" syndrome. If they make it easier to shoot things down for others, I may end up getting lucky more often and it feels too easy. So there's no "right answer."

While I personally would welcome OldHats approach (and I definitely appreciate his efforts) to the DM of cables and control surfaces being harder to hit and so planes retain their agility longer (most of the time) during combat, my personal preference isn't so much asking for changes to the DM itself as it is just more visible feedback of damage that has been done to the plane before you get a total structural failure. That way you are less surprised when suddenly all four wings disintegrate, for example.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.