Page 7 of 227 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 226 227
#4129559 - 06/05/15 12:13 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4130184 - 06/06/15 01:24 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Kuroken]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

2 June 2015 Capt. Sebastin Johnson and I were assigned to familiarize ourselves with the area around the airfield. The weather was mostly sunny, with cumulus clouds with bases at approximately 2500 feet. Wind was 8 miles from the NNW. The orders to “familiarize ourselves with the area” were fairly vague, so we flew at between 1000-2000 feet east toward Ypres and familiarized ourselves with the terrain, especially around Poperinge, or “Pops” as we call it. From the air, Pops looked to have already had a difficult time of it. The Germans have figured that it is one of our main supply centers for this sector, and have been shelling it heavily. We stayed approximately 3 miles on our side of the front lines. I found navigating by the map to be very confusing, and was only by luck I found the airfield. I’m going to have to get much more familiar with the ground around here.

Historical citation: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/town-poperinge.htm
0 Points

3 June 1915 The CO wasn’t too happy with our semi-authorized flight towards the front lines yesterday, so this time he assigned us a familiarization flight around the airfield, but to the west. The weather was good, and we had an enjoyable flight, with no problems. On our return, it was announced that the squadron was to turn in the Fe 2b’s, and the older Be 2’s. In exchange, we were receiving new Be2c’s, with a Lewis gun for the observer. The squadron also received two Nieuport Scouts. I’m not sure who will get those, but the rumors are that one of them will go to Capt. Hawker. In any case, I know that I won’t get one, being only a Sargent.
0 Points

4 June 1915 My first operational mission was a dud. I was assigned to fly with another aircraft and bomb the German lines with some 25 lb. bombs. Unfortunately, I had engine trouble almost immediately and had to abort back to the field. However, the other aircraft carried out the mission and returned without loss.
0 Points

5 June 1915 My second operational mission was more of a success. I was assigned to the 0500 patrol behind our lines with another aircraft, flown by Sgt. Hoskins. The weather wasn’t too bad. It was about ¾ overcast and threatening to rain the entire mission. However, as long as I kept below 4000 feet, I could still see the ground and navigate. While the patrol was supposed to consist of two aircraft, Sgt. Hoskins developed engine problems. He tried to land at a nearby aerodrome, but was unable to make it, and ended up landing safely in a farmer’s field. I completed the patrol alone, and returned to the airfield. When I landed, the CO sent me to Pops to retrieve some parts to repair Hoskin’s aircraft. I was able to snap this picture of the place:

2 Points

Last edited by Combs; 06/06/15 01:29 PM. Reason: Add photo

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.
#4130264 - 06/06/15 06:20 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Excellent writing there Combs and Kuroken. Replacing Fees with Quirks? Terrible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Look at Loewenstern," said Friedrich Kampe to Liedenbrock as they checked over 'number 3' before take-off. "He has his family crest everywhere. His notebook, his dressing gown. Even the case for his binoculars has a badge on it."
Axel looked at him. "Do you have a crest?"
"Not really." Kampe shrugged. "My family are only Niederer Adel. But, they were frequently Mayors in Gaggenau, and before that Vogts." He saw the lack of recognition on Liedenbrock's face. "That was a type of governor, before Baden started electing mayors. I might reasonably use Gaggenau's shield, I suppose."

"We could put it on the aeroplane," suggested Axel. "If we also paint on the arms of Hamburg."
"Oh?" Laughed Kampe. "And when did you rule Hamburg?"
"I never did," persisted Liedenbrock. "But we Liedenbrocks have a reputation for adventure that I want to live up to. And importantly, you do not build a reputation without being recognised. I want people to see this machine and know it is us. What do you think?" Axel leaned across conspiratorially. "Gaggenau could go first."
Axel could tell that Kampe was tempted.
"I'll think about it." He said.

Steinborn had instructed them to bomb an aerodrome at Izel-Les-Hameux. The Aviatiks would cross the lines in pairs and make their way to the enemy airfield to drop two 5 kilo bombs apiece. The observers were also to look to see what aircraft were there and anything else of military value.

Kampe wanted Liedenbrock to fly to Bethune first, and then follow the road south west of the town. This would take them over another known aerodrome at Hesdigneul and a nearby rail spur. Kamp considered that any activity on that rail line might be of interest.

It was over the town of Bethune that Liedenbrock first encountered Flak. He had heard about it, at the flying school mainly, but now little puffs of grey smoke punctuated the sky ahead of him and to his right. He found them curious. It seemed that the French were making little clouds. They certainly didn't seem threatening, being so far away.

Soon the Flak died away. The two Aviatiks passed over Hesdigneul unmolested. Kampe looked out with his binoculars and occasionally made notes. Leidenbrock turned south to their objective.

Swinging around to the west, the two German machines dropped their bombs on the aerodrome. The bombs all missed, although Leidenbrock's two drops did make craters in the landing field. As he peered over the side, Axel saw a structure with wings and a spindley frame. He did not know what it was. Henry Farman or FE2b. Perhaps Kampe could tell better.

There was more flak as they flew east over Savy, where there was another airfield and an army camp. Kampe's pencil was busy as they flew over the camp. Leidenbrock caught his eye and made a circling indication with his finger. Did he want to circle around? Kampe shook his head. No, he had got what information he needed.

Walter Ritter flying with his observer, Henke was in the other kette lead by Steinborn and succeeded in hitting one of the hangars with his bombs. Steinborn declared the entire mission a success as a result.

In the sitting room that evening, Kampe watched as Wilhelm von Loewenstern filled his pipe, with a crest on the bowl from a tobacco box which was also emblazoned with heraldry.
"Tell me, Liedenbrock. What colours are on the coat of arms of Hamburg?"
"It is a white castle on a red field."
Kampe smiled and poured himself a brandy. "That is most convenient. Gaggenau is also red and white."

#4130322 - 06/06/15 10:17 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
2 Sqn, Rfc.
Flanders

6 June 1915.

Posted to morning mission with B Flight. Our 4 BE2,s took off for the lines at 0506 hrs climbing to 700 meters then headed towards the lines across from Lens. 7/10ths cloud cover over target area but found a hole and completed the mission. A piece of cake point: +1

upload img

Last edited by carrick58; 06/10/15 03:40 AM.
#4130472 - 06/07/15 12:52 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Sergent Tremblay and his gunner/obs Sergent Fauchard have spent a quiet first week at Lahoussoye, until this morning. They were assigned a patrol of the lines to the east, from Miraumont down to Péronne and back. Allard coaxed the Morane up to 2,700 meters as he and Jerome kept a lookout for any hostile craft that might be trying to cross the lines. About 45 minutes into the patrol, as they were passing over Fricourt, they spotted an aeroplane just off to their east and below them about 500 meters. It turned out to be a lone Aviatik which they immediately engaged. After a protracted game of cat-and-mouse Sergent Tremblay was able to give Sergent Fauchard several good shooting opportunities which were taken full advantage of. The enemy aeroplane began trailing black smoke and giving up altitude. A final burst from the Lewis gun and the Aviatik hit the ground hard and flipped on its back as its pilot attempted a landing. When the pair returned to camp and excitedly turned in their very first claim they were told it would likely be denied as the incident took place on the Boche side of the mud and they had no confirmation, to which Capitaine de Reverend added, "But you have the personal satisfaction of knowing you downed an enemy craft. Bravo!"

A single enemy aeroplane attempting to make a run for home after being spotted by Allard and Jerome.

Several excellent volleys from the Lewis and Sergent Fauchard had the Aviatik trailing smoke and dropping down.

The Boche pilot attempted a landing that ended in a total wreck.

Sergent Tremblay followed the Somme back to Lahoussoye.

They came in to land just as a patrol from the north was returning.

After pulling up to the hanger and shutting down the Le Rhône Allard and Jerome raced to the CO's office to turn in their AARs and their claim only to receive the disappointing caution that their first victory would very likely be denied them due to no corroborating witnesses. Ah well - c'est la guerre.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4130647 - 06/07/15 10:47 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Bravo, Lou! First blood!

Scoreboard as of June 7

#4130664 - 06/07/15 11:30 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Missed the deadline. Damn!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4130694 - 06/08/15 03:02 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Crap, it's too late to turn in my report.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4130696 - 06/08/15 03:13 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I am doing well, with my very bad bombing? So far I hit one chicken house, killed the only rooster, and thus made all of the hens very unhappy. Other than that, fly out, do my best and fly home and land. Love the slow landing speed.

I see some with more than one mission per day-- I would love to fly more missions within the one day. Can we??

Would love to get something that shoot any thing from my V. B1 very tail heavy crate. Good engine!!

Are shotguns OK?

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4130713 - 06/08/15 05:48 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
CW3SF: Yes, if your squadron flies multiple missions per day, then you can fly as many as they give you.

If you can figure out how to get a shotgun up there, go for it. smile

Fullofit, Banjoman: There's always next week!

#4130789 - 06/08/15 01:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
OK, will fly all they give me within each day.

So when do I get a gun for my observer that I can jump in to and set the plane on "autopilot"?? And Then would the "autopilot" fly aggresive for the "gunner" ( now me ) to get the best shot?

Lots to learn about this "new adventure" we are in!

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4130797 - 06/08/15 01:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
CatKnight, what time do you want us to have the reports turned in so this doesn't happen to me again?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4130804 - 06/08/15 02:08 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4130807 - 06/08/15 02:15 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4130869 - 06/08/15 03:33 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Crap, it's too late to turn in my report.

I missed it too. In the future I'll try to report on Saturday mornings...

#4130911 - 06/08/15 05:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Almost There
Sgt, B Flight
2 Sqn, Rfc
Flanders

June 8, 1915.

Morning Hop: B Flight dispatched 4 Be2's on a bombardment raid to Houplin Aerodrome. Dropped 16 bombs and had 1 hit a Tent all others fell Short or Over Target Zone. No Losses. 3

adult photo sharing

Afternoon Hop: Great fun. 6 a/c from the Sqn dispatched to bomb a Rail Road junction by Loos. B flight dropped 16 bombs all in area but only a few Rails got tore up. We did make a lot of new holes. Spotted 2 e/a and had fun attacking them. My gunner got off 2 shots then my a/c stalled. Recovered but never caught up with them so RTB.

adult photo sharing

20mb image hosting

img host

free photo upload

Points 2

Last edited by carrick58; 06/10/15 03:46 AM.
#4131013 - 06/08/15 10:04 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Adain Lothbrok made his 1st deep bombing mission over enemy territory today. Still have not seen an enemy plane but the Archie was something to behold. All landed safe and the CO says we did some good.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4131060 - 06/08/15 11:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Adalwolf Becker has flown a few missions. One bombing of front lines and one Arty spotting. He even managed to hit something with his bombs which is a first. Rather be lucky than good!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4131062 - 06/08/15 11:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Gents, Been a bit busy of late and just getting around to catching up on whats happening. Great reads. Kuroken,I really like the old format use and great story line. Louseems to have the first victory even though it is uncomfirmed. Good on ya! Looking forward to keeping up.

#4131064 - 06/09/15 12:03 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Gents, (not you Hun devils), did you see in the paper that a naval bloke yesterday (June 7th) dropped bombs on a Zeppelin in the air and brought it down?! Great show, lt. Warneford!

Page 7 of 227 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM