Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
#4130540 - 06/07/15 04:46 PM Re: In search of answers... *** [Re: lokitexas]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Originally Posted By: lokitexas

But really nothing getting me excited for BoS. Nothing.

Not even those user made missions? Have you tried them?
Some of them are very interesting IMHO.

I think I am in the same boat with J9 (JagdNeun)

Last edited by Ami7b5; 06/07/15 04:48 PM.

If you're close, get closer.
#4130554 - 06/07/15 05:33 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Ami7b5]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Ami7b5

But really nothing getting me excited for BoS. Nothing.

Not even those user made missions? Have you tried them?
Some of them are very interesting IMHO.

I think I am in the same boat with J9 (JagdNeun)

There are some brilliant "campaigns", scripted, and dynamic for other sims that are much, much more fun for me. Why would I play a small select few missions when I can have stats, squads, correct markings, and a connection?

Again I want to go forward not backward.

#4130560 - 06/07/15 06:08 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Stats (in CFSs) are for children, LOL... DiD is the way to go.
Squads, correct markings and 'connection (?)' are MUCH more important IMHO.

So... have u tried any of user made BoS missions?
Yes/No
salute

Last edited by Ami7b5; 06/07/15 06:08 PM.

#4130569 - 06/07/15 06:53 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: lokitexas]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

There are some brilliant "campaigns", scripted, and dynamic for other sims that are much, much more fun for me. Why would I play a small select few missions when I can have stats, squads, correct markings, and a connection?

Again I want to go forward not backward.

A big plus 1 to that, totally agree!

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4130571 - 06/07/15 07:06 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: JagdNeun
Sharpe....unless you know something I don't this game is limited in what it can do, unless something internally changes, and they indicate that there are no plans for that. We might get some better utilities....parsers, mission makers, and even a career tracking system...that would be great....but I don't see anything to be too overly optimistic with. From what I can see. the engine falls short..the platform is not what CL0D had to build up from....I hope that turns out not to be true. But the Dev's are not even hinting towards anything which will counter this view....but please tell me I'm wrong....

I do agree though...my expectations have not been lowered...in that I know how far away this game has come up to the standards of what I expected. I'm just making due with what's here....and I do have fun with the game...

I have no inside information and know very little to zero about how game engines or programming works. I just think it's a bit defeatist to figure this project is dead and buried after being on the market for 7 months. That's assuming that although every other flight sim in history saw constant improvement, somehow that's impossible with BoS? That doesn't strike me as realistic. What is there now is very nice. If it improves that will be even better. There's some healthy competition in the market too which is only a good thing.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4130584 - 06/07/15 07:45 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Well that's not what I said...that it was dead and buried....I said that it appears to be limited in what it can do. That's why I specifically asked those questions on the other forum....not to be a smart ass...but to find out what this game can actually support concerning improvements.

So far..all I've seen are utility based improvements and the mention of a possible dream progressive career tracking system. But that's it. If the campaign design remains the same.....well it's going to be hard to breath any real story line into this game. The cinematic outlining the battle progression in the different phases and then the repetitive mission selections....with action radius, same 6 Pe-2's at 4000, or 6 IL-2's at 500....it just get's lifeless...

I'm in for the long haul, but from what I've been able to process I wouldn't expect too much. They did throw out a little hint that something was going to be tweaked...so I've got my fingers crossed on that one....

#4130594 - 06/07/15 08:11 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Other sims saw continuous improvement because they were generally built upon new engines made for that sim, the Digital Nature was already quite a mature engine when they started BoS which is perhaps why people wonder what can be improved and if it can be improved to provide the things a lot of us want like a better campaign system, large battles with large numbers of ground and air forces and higher multiplayer capacity. If it can then great because that's all we want - a better flight sim, what we have now is perhaps not much more than a flight game.

#4130601 - 06/07/15 08:31 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Ami7b5]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Stats (in CFSs) are for children, LOL... DiD is the way to go.
Squads, correct markings and 'connection (?)' are MUCH more important IMHO.

So... have u tried any of user made BoS missions?
Yes/No
salute

You really want to go there?

XP, Pilot Levels, Weapon and skin Unlocks, and "Action Points".....that all I have to say.

Taking stats on dead pilots, wounded pilots, captured pilots, MIA pilots, and aircraft remaining in a squad are stats that I would rather have over "How much XP is that plane I shot down worth?", and "Oooo cant wait to get to the action point so I can get some XP and finally unlock that winter skin!!". Lofts vision IS for children.

FYI you can have stats in a DiD campaign, you cant even have a DiD campaign in BoS. Not sure what you are on about.

This is funny.

Last edited by lokitexas; 06/07/15 08:32 PM.
#4130606 - 06/07/15 08:39 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Extreme_One]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

And that sucks. It sucks that people are lowering expectations for a genre they enjoy.

I'm not lowering my expectations, I want the same thing most enthusiasts do from this. I just recognize this sim was released only 7 months ago. None of the other classics in this genre had all these features at this stage. So have a little optimism.

They ALL had the ability to string a series of missions together to create a scripted campaign.
And they ALL had customisable graphics settings.

Yep, and user made campaigns exist in RoF and could be enabled with not much effort in BoS (see Zak's comment on the BoS forum).

And custom graphics settings already exist in BoS but were disabled.

So this isn't even a case of "what can 1CGS do" on a number of things, but rather "what is 1CGS willing to do." And if its contrary to marketing BoS to pre-teens its very unlikely (ie: the reluctant release of the ME).

And now we can move on to compare BoM to Forgotten Battles (the second release in the original IL-2 series). The glaring difference I see between the Oleg Maddox versions vs. the 1CGS versions of IL-2 is that Oleg was marketing to teenagers and adults and 1CGS is marketing to pre-teens.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4130624 - 06/07/15 09:16 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
I wonder how much cash they spent creating those cinematics inbetwewn each boring chapter of the BOS campaign.

Employing voice over artists, SFX and visual effects, 3D modeling and animation - none of that stuff comes cheap.

And yet, they plead poverty and claim they can't afford to devote a coder's time on improving the campaign system.

Personally, I think they've spent their money in the wrong areas.

#4130635 - 06/07/15 10:03 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
I was thinking the same thing EO...Call me uncool...but I could have gone for some archival footage of the real battle...

#4130668 - 06/07/15 11:49 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: lokitexas]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

XP, Pilot Levels, Weapon and skin Unlocks, and "Action Points".....that all I have to say.

LOL, says it all. Powerups, get your powerups!

screwy

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4130679 - 06/08/15 01:10 AM Re: In search of answers... [Re: dburne]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: dburne

screwy

Where are "powerups" in BoS?

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4130681 - 06/08/15 01:22 AM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA

screwy

Why do you so adamantly try to explain game play mechanics made for pre-teens as something for teenagers and adults:

"You are now a Level 9 pilot in the desperate struggle over Stalingrad, so now the enemy is sending only the best pilots against you. Get ready for the fight of your life!"

Everything about the SP campaign in BoS ruins historical immersion, including the AI becoming smarter and more difficult with each increase in pilot level. That aspect really is a 1980's Donkey Kong design.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4130691 - 06/08/15 02:56 AM Re: In search of answers... [Re: KodiakJac]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

screwy

Why do you so adamantly try to explain game play mechanics made for pre-teens as something for teenagers and adults:

"You are now a Level 9 pilot in the desperate struggle over Stalingrad, so now the enemy is sending only the best pilots against you. Get ready for the fight of your life!"

Everything about the SP campaign in BoS ruins historical immersion, including the AI becoming smarter and more difficult with each increase in pilot level. That aspect really is a 1980's Donkey Kong design.

Oh sure, I don't like the gamey "levels" either. But "power up" implies something like earning stuff that makes your plane faster or more health points.
I didn't notice the AI getting better or more accurate at higher levels but supposedly they do.

#4130720 - 06/08/15 07:17 AM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

screwy

Oh sure, I don't like the gamey "levels" either. But "power up" implies something like earning stuff that makes your plane faster or more health points.
I didn't notice the AI getting better or more accurate at higher levels but supposedly they do.

Well that is a power up, when your player character has gained more XP and the enemy become tougher and more aggressive against you, that is pretty much the description for any arcade game.

#4130721 - 06/08/15 07:31 AM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Powerup's in games have been anything from extra health to extra firepower so I suppose with BoS powerup's we should be thankful Loft didn't also have us flying through power up rings in the sky or collecting gold rings or jumping on mushroom men rescuing princesses transformer

#4130862 - 06/08/15 03:26 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Apparently winter camo in a winter map is a power-up.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4130873 - 06/08/15 03:39 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Extreme_One]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

I wonder how much cash they spent creating those cinematics inbetwewn each boring chapter of the BOS campaign.

Employing voice over artists, SFX and visual effects, 3D modeling and animation - none of that stuff comes cheap.

And yet, they plead poverty and claim they can't afford to devote a coder's time on improving the campaign system.

Also don't forget those fantasy medals - what a waste of money...
They are nice from an artist view, but a total immersion killer in an IL*2 title.

Last edited by Ami7b5; 06/08/15 03:42 PM.

#4130890 - 06/08/15 04:34 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Ami7b5]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Also don't forget those fantasy medals - what a waste of money...
They are nice from an artist view, but a total immersion killer in an IL*2 title.

Yeah I think those are hokey too. Their explaination of it was even more odd.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 06/08/15 04:34 PM.

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.