Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22
#4129076 - 06/04/15 02:57 PM Re: In search of answers... *** [Re: SharpeXB]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

If DCS F-86 was an air combat game like these others it would need a bunch of other period aircraft besides just two, let's say a dozen to make it realistic and interesting. A period map of Korea. Period ground units and environment. A career campaign.
Just like Rise of Flight or Cliffs of Dover etc. it doesn't. That's not to say it isn't great in its own way but it's not the same type of flight sim. And making it that way to the timetable we've seen so far from ED would in fact take a decade or so.

You do realize that it is now no longer just the in house ED development of the planes?
I see good things coming.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4129079 - 06/04/15 03:02 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: bongodriver]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
DCS is a combat simulator, the clue is in the name, ED are not the only ones building content for the series.

What sort of "Air Combat" scenario is there for the Mig 21? Is there a map of Vietnam with period aircraft and ground units?
I'll change my definition and say "air warfare" sim. There's a difference. Not say if one is better it's just a different type of product.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4129080 - 06/04/15 03:03 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: dburne]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: dburne

If DCS F-86 was an air combat game like these others it would need a bunch of other period aircraft besides just two, let's say a dozen to make it realistic and interesting. A period map of Korea. Period ground units and environment. A career campaign.
Just like Rise of Flight or Cliffs of Dover etc. it doesn't. That's not to say it isn't great in its own way but it's not the same type of flight sim. And making it that way to the timetable we've seen so far from ED would in fact take a decade or so.

You do realize that it is now no longer just the in house ED development of the planes?
I see good things coming.

Yes. I hope so too.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4129081 - 06/04/15 03:03 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

I would say at this time ED is the future for the serious combat flight sim enthusiast. Good times ahead!

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4129085 - 06/04/15 03:07 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: dburne]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I would say at this time ED is the future for the serious combat flight sim enthusiast. Good times ahead!

I wholeheartedly concur!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4129090 - 06/04/15 03:12 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
I need to figure out how to get into this ED fight simming

Due to data transfer restrictions I just cannot keep up. I would like the option of sending ED a blank memory stick so they could copy to that and send to me

#4129098 - 06/04/15 03:23 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: dburne]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

I just hope they figure out more things to do with the WWII birds than fly them through green hoops and strafe trucks. I stick to the A-10C because it's the only full system plane in DCS that has good content. The FC jets are good too.

#4129100 - 06/04/15 03:25 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: bisher
I need to figure out how to get into this ED fight simming

Due to data transfer restrictions I just cannot keep up. I would like the option of sending ED a blank memory stick so they could copy to that and send to me

Yes, people with bandwidth limits are at a disadvantage. Back when updates were distributed as executable patches you could download them at work or a friend's house and copy it to bring it home.

Ideally, in addition to the autoupdater there should be manual patches provided so people could do just that without needing to bring their entire computer somewhere else. I'm guessing they don't out of concern for extra work required to maintain that.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4129101 - 06/04/15 03:25 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

I just hope they figure out more things to do with the WWII birds than fly them through green hoops and strafe trucks. I stick to the A-10C because it's the only full system plane in DCS that has good content. The FC jets are good too.

I think it is safe to say, that is being worked on as we speak.

Don

#4129116 - 06/04/15 03:42 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
LizLemon Offline
LizLemon  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
DCS currently has the P-51, Bf109, and Fw190. That's three planes. How many did BoS come with? I guess 8 or 10 depending on whether you consider the premium planes or not.

How long will it be until DCS has 8 or 10 WWII birds? Another 2-3 years is my estimate, although it might shift a little. Still, I think it will be far less than 10 years at the outside from P-51 release to the 10th WWII bird, which is within the life span of Windows XP, and 20 years is a ridiculous period to claim.

How many years will it be until BoS has the campaign system promised in Dev Diary 21? According to Loft, it will be a lot MORE than 20...

The Jedi Master

I'm pessimistically exaggerating 20 years. I hope. Still how long did it take to produce the P-51 or Dora? Over a year at least. In the same time frame 1CGS made an entire game with 10 planes and we're getting 10 more in a month or so. Now absolutely these aren't to the level of DCS but that's the point. What makes an "air warfare" (I'll change my term) sim fun and interesting is lots of aircraft. It's ok if they're simplified systems planes and DCS has done the same thing in FC.
Hey I hope I'm wrong with the prediction of how long it would take them but so far it's slow going.

Minor correction: 777 didn't make most of the content in bos. They were given a bunch of assets from clod/bom and reworked them a bit, which generally means they lowered the polycount and texture resolution.

If 777 had to make all their own content, from the ground up, it would've taken them far longer. Just look at how much time they take in rolling out new planes for rof.

"Flight-simmers love as many graphics options as possible." - Jason, November 2012
#4129128 - 06/04/15 04:00 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
LOL Its funny how the 1CGS faithful keep narrowing down the criteria that constitutes a 'combat flight sim' so that finally the only answer can be BoS - Its the only dedicated WWII sim with full developer support with opposing aircraft, a map, a developer called Albert and have a tattoo over his left eye yada yada until finally they can discount all of the currently available and absolutely viable alternatives because then they can tell all the boys and girls their bogeyman stories that if you don't keep quiet and be good boys and girls then you won't have anything to play with.

#4129135 - 06/04/15 04:07 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: LizLemon]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: LizLemon

Minor correction: 777 didn't make most of the content in bos. They were given a bunch of assets from clod/bom and reworked them a bit, which generally means they lowered the polycount and texture resolution.

If 777 had to make all their own content, from the ground up, it would've taken them far longer. Just look at how much time they take in rolling out new planes for rof.

Not only that but the Digital nature engine itself is second hand, they literally made BOS by adding ready made content from someone else's cancelled project to ROF and took away some user customization settings.

#4129140 - 06/04/15 04:23 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: bongodriver]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Originally Posted By: LizLemon

Not only that but the Digital nature engine itself is second hand, they literally made BOS by adding ready made content from someone else's cancelled project to ROF and took away some user customization settings.

I'm glad I didn't have to wait seven years for a WWII flight sim. So I don't see a problem here.

#4129141 - 06/04/15 04:25 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Revvin]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Revvin
LOL Its funny how the 1CGS faithful keep narrowing down the criteria that constitutes a 'combat flight sim' so that finally the only answer can be BoS - Its the only dedicated WWII sim with full developer support with opposing aircraft, a map, a developer called Albert and have a tattoo over his left eye yada yada until finally they can discount all of the currently available and absolutely viable alternatives because then they can tell all the boys and girls their bogeyman stories that if you don't keep quiet and be good boys and girls then you won't have anything to play with.

Sure. How would you define the original IL-2 series? Any other sims you see being developed today which are like it?

#4129143 - 06/04/15 04:27 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

I'm glad I didn't have to wait seven years for a WWII flight sim. So I don't see a problem here.

Many of us are still wasting for it to be more like a WWII flight sim...so we aren't playing it at all...so we've gained nothing.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4129148 - 06/04/15 04:41 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Force10]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Force10

Many of us are still wasting for it to be more like a WWII flight sim...so we aren't playing it at all...so we've gained nothing.

It already is one. You mean a better WWII flight sim. That's certainly possible.

#4129151 - 06/04/15 04:47 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: SharpeXB]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
I think I'd rather have waited a bit longer TBH.

They keep telling us that never before has anyone produced a flight sim in such a short time. (couldn't fight the urge to say they still haven't)
Anyway, there are probably a couple of a good reasons for that.

Never before had any developer inherited a load of assets they could utilise. But still they couldn't get the job done!

If the recipe for cake says bake for two hours, do you think it would be a pleasant cake if I bake mine for only one hour?

My point is, they should never have tried to push an IL-2 title out in two years, it's now been proven its not possible.
And instead of fixing the missing or broken parts of their existing cake, I mean game, they're baking a new one.

#4129165 - 06/04/15 05:22 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Extreme_One]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One

And instead of fixing the missing or broken parts of their existing cake, I mean game, they're baking a new one.

To the same recipe and the 1CGS will be back to tell us how delicious it is.

#4129169 - 06/04/15 05:25 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: JagerNeun]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Before all one cay say that BoS was done with the Russian market in mind - so the <10$ version to increase the popularity there - and be what BoS Russian forum* User Mission show people there don't have much interest in single player content:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/forum/54-polzovatelskie-missii/

MP people are in Warthunder...

Probable all these people playing (be statistics) BoS are 'enjoying' - like the mate SharpeXB - the Unlock Skin's campaign. wink

* You know that in these times of (empty, shallow...) "social media", forums are dinosaurs, but was in forums that are posted user made contend (skins, missions, campaigns, MP events, MOD...), they provide free support for new (and old) players - many times better that the official support - and generate free marketing of the game. Well, in some cases not always positive. hahaha

#4129173 - 06/04/15 05:28 PM Re: In search of answers... [Re: Extreme_One]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
I think I'd rather have waited a bit longer TBH.

They keep telling us that never before has anyone produced a flight sim in such a short time. (couldn't fight the urge to say they still haven't)
Anyway, there are probably a couple of a good reasons for that.

Never before had any developer inherited a load of assets they could utilise. But still they couldn't get the job done!

If the recipe for cake says bake for two hours, do you think it would be a pleasant cake if I bake mine for only one hour?

My point is, they should never have tried to push an IL-2 title out in two years, it's now been proven its not possible.

Secret Soviet intelligence to which only I have access says that a cake baked in one hour is superior in taste, fluff to density ratio and appearance. Further, unless you can produce definitive data to demonstrate a two hour bake is proper, you are engaging in speculation and should be banned.

tactical

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.