Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
#4128996 - 06/04/15 12:56 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I don't get your question.. what do you mean what happens to it.. ? You are obviously just being your usual charming self..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4128998 - 06/04/15 01:01 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: Bearcat99]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
I don't get your question.. what do you mean what happens to it.. ? You are obviously just being your usual charming self..

Really? you are offended by a simple question?

Lemme break it down nice and simple for you, What happens to a hidden thread 'after' it has been reviewed and the moderations view is that it will not be reopened for public consumption and the relevant party has been given answer B?

Seriously it's like herding cats.

Last edited by bongodriver; 06/04/15 01:06 PM.
#4129003 - 06/04/15 01:08 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: bongodriver]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
and what happens to a thread once someone is told to suck it up and move on?

From what we've seen it seems generally what happens is the moderator puffs his chest out and then posts a mealy mouthed explanation in a different thread later when he see's his developers friends won't back him up thumbsup

#4129038 - 06/04/15 02:06 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

Really? you are offended by a simple question?
Lemme break it down nice and simple for you, What happens to a hidden thread 'after' it has been reviewed and the moderations view is that it will not be reopened for public consumption and the relevant party has been given answer B?
Seriously it's like herding cats.

None of your questions are ever simple.. at least not simple as in clear and without something else behind them.. and I stopped being offended by you a long time ago bongo.. What do you think happens to it bongo? Usually if it is hidden it stays that way.. if it is locked it stays that way.. I mean... DUUUUHHH..

Originally Posted By: Revvin
and what happens to a thread once someone is told to suck it up and move on?

From what we've seen it seems generally what happens is the moderator puffs his chest out and then posts a mealy mouthed explanation in a different thread later when he see's his developers friends won't back him up thumbsup

Mealy mouthed.. well .. you saying so does not make it a fact.. I think I was pretty clear in my post. Very clear in fact.. The original thread was locked and since I was called to task for it I responded to it. Obviously the admins did not find it as offensive as some of the folks here did.. and at the time it was justified and to this day I stand behind what I said both in my response/explanation and the post that prompted it. The fact that either of you are even calling me to task over something that happened six months ago says all that needs to be said about your motivations. Since you brought it up.. just for the record.. here is my mealy mouthed post.

Quote:
Since I am the moderator in question on this I feel compelled to comment here.
For the record yes I said it.
Also for the record.. I meant be gone from the forums for a spell if all you have to contribute is negativity and the same well documented complaints adnaseum. I am not a developer here. Everyone knows that and while there are some who still seem to insist that I am somehow "toeing the party line" or speaking on behalf of the team despite the many many posts I have made on other forums to the contrary.. Most of the folks who have known me for the 12+ years I have been involved with IL2 know that for better or worse I speak my own mind whether a moderator or just a community member.

Having said that .. I have nothing but respect for the majority of this community and this team team and what they have done with this sim regardless to my own, also very public statements of criticism that mirrors many of the complaints of many on some of the same issues. The difference is I have stated my opinions.. more than once but not every single chance I get. I also am not taking the tactic of "complain till they change it". For me .. the fact that most of these issues have been addressed either with a yes, a no or a wait and see compels me and many others to take an "it is what it is.. and it ain't bad so let's see what it becomes" approach as opposed to the former "if you don't fix it I will make you fix it" by complaining about the same issues almost daily. For every person who thinks that the moderation is too heavy handed here there are others who say thank you for making this place better to come to.

To the OP... don't look solely at any forum.. this one or a 3rd party forum. If you want to find out about the sim.. either read through the developer Diaries, download Rise of Flight for free and try it, because the engine for BoS is based on that one, or just buy the sim. Get the Standard Edition if you have reservations. It is a well made product that is not perfect but it is supported by a team that wants to make the best flight sim they can.There are bumps along the way and things that many do not like but there is more to like in Battle of Stalingrad than to not like. There is a lot to like.

For every person who frequents these boards and feels that they have not gotten their due with this sim and have made no bones whatsoever about it at every opportunity, there are other community members here who have gone through the same motions as them and feel the same way that they do and are just as disappointed about some of the same things as myself and some of these more "vocal"posters.. but they have decided to take the better path and look at this glass as half full and still filling as opposed to half empty and just sitting on the table. To those who have PMd me over the past few weeks about some of this stuff.. thank you. I and the entire mod staff appreciate your support. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will get through this and at the end of the day there will be more people satisfied with most of BoS as opposed to being dissatisfied.

We shall surely see.

Get over it.

You know Revvin why do you behave in such a nasty way... ? Where does all this stuff really come from with you? In all the time I have spent online I have never seen anyone behave as rudely or as just plain old nasty as you do.. and your buddy above you acts as if he is the smarttest man on Earth.. and everyone else is an idiot.

I am pretty certain that this post will be edited ... but I cannot help sometimes when I look at some of this stuff just what the deal is with some of you folks over here..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4129052 - 06/04/15 02:20 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: Bearcat99]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England

None of your questions are ever simple.. at least not simple as in clear and without something else behind them.. and I stopped being offended by you a long time ago bongo.. What do you think happens to it bongo? Usually if it is hidden it stays that way.. if it is locked it stays that way.. I mean... DUUUUHHH..

Right, and I'm the one with charm issues dizzy

It's not my fault if you are paranoid, it's just a simple question.

But now we have established that threads are still simply 'hidden' (presumably) despite the fact they have been reviewed as not re-openable the next question is.......why? it is an odd concept that there is still an archive of threads that are never intended to see the light of day again.

#4129063 - 06/04/15 02:40 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

That was a interesting thread over there JagdNeun.
Specifically this Emil member, stating clearly he doesn't relly care if the game dies since he has so many other important things to do in his life.
That's very mych spot on, those who DO care are the one complaining when those who can't give a horse crap think it's all fine and dandy (but enjoy wholefully to point out haters to the left and right).
As a developer - who should you listen to if you really wanted to reach somewhere with your product?
Currently only those not giving a darn is the golden children of that forum (you know, the "take my money" kind of members).

#4129096 - 06/04/15 03:20 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
What's better to hear?

A storm of criticism from concerned customers?

Silence?

Those are the two options. The list of people only posting shiny happy thoughts is pretty slim, and no company ever improved from listening to yes men. Being told everything you do is perfect when you're NOT experiencing huge growth will only lead to stagnation at best, ruination at worst.

If they can't tell the difference between concern and derision, that's their problem. Literally. It will cause them a great deal of grief when they treat every customer who is only 90% satisfied the same as the ones who aren't satisfied at all. At least a concerned customer is still a customer and a source of revenue. Silence doesn't buy from you.

Do they want to make a successful Il-2, or do they want to make THEIR idea of Il-2? Obviously they're not the same, and they've succeeded in occupying a middle ground where almost no customers are interested. They must either be flexible enough to provide their customers with what they want, or they will have to accept the loss of customers.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4129119 - 06/04/15 03:44 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: Bearcat99]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Mealy mouthed.. well .. you saying so does not make it a fact.. I think I was pretty clear in my post. Very clear in fact.. The original thread was locked and since I was called to task for it I responded to it. Obviously the admins did not find it as offensive as some of the folks here did.. and at the time it was justified and to this day I stand behind what I said both in my response/explanation and the post that prompted it. The fact that either of you are even calling me to task over something that happened six months ago says all that needs to be said about your motivations. Since you brought it up.. just for the record.. here is my mealy mouthed post.

<snip>

You know Revvin why do you behave in such a nasty way... ? Where does all this stuff really come from with you? In all the time I have spent online I have never seen anyone behave as rudely or as just plain old nasty as you do.. and your buddy above you acts as if he is the smarttest man on Earth.. and everyone else is an idiot.

I never presented it as fact, I did think it was a mealy mouthed excuse that was made in a different thread from where you originally posted those outbursts when you were quoted when it should have been an apology for telling customers to: (bold text and font size as per the original post))
Originally Posted By: Bearcat
Either suck it up and get over it or be gone.

If you don't like the sim then GO AWAY.

Using terms like:
You clowns

That is no way to speak to customers no matter what but instead of apologising in those threads you make some mealy mouthed excuse and even manage to work in a link and an advert for RoF whilst also blowing your own trumpet at the end of your post. I don't think many people believe your excuse about just meaning to "I meant be gone from the forums for a spell if all you have to contribute is negativity and the same well documented complaints adnaseum". A forum isn't like sitting in a voice chat room where you might blurt something out and then regret it or perhaps use words that you should not to explain something, on a forum you have all the time in the world to read through a post before hitting send so if that's what you really meant to say then you had all the time in the world to read through and think to yourself "should I really say that" or "should I really say it like that". Its not like its the first time you've had the responsibility of being a moderator so you should have known better *if* you really meant what you said in that excuse you gave.

I'm supposed to be the one who behaves in a nasty way yet you see fit to respond to a member like this:

You say I behave in such a nasty way yet I've never responded to you like this:

It looks like JagdNeun is getting the same treatment Airdrop01 got from you, fall out with him here and you jump on his posts over there. It makes you look like a bully that because you're not getting your way in the classroom (SimHQ) 'I'll see you outside after the bell'(Official Forum)

#4129153 - 06/04/15 04:49 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
I am a big immersion nut and being able to fly through trees is a big immersion killer for me...

LOL. Those trees have perhaps 4/5 meters (~15 foots) high, not even in Ka-50 Black Shark I need fly between then.
What you guys are done in these flight sims, rally? biggrin

#4129156 - 06/04/15 04:57 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
I think in reality the issue with collideable trees is a fantasy killer rather than an immersion killer, they seem to suggest that not being able to crash into trees is unrealistic when in fact being that close to trees in the first place is unrealistic, but now we are going to hear all about the cheaters who hide in trees, but anyone who is hiding in trees is out of the fight anyway so it makes little to no difference, leave them too it and wait for them to grow a big enough pair to venture into the rarefied air where the real heroes hang out.

#4129242 - 06/04/15 07:27 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

My number one combat flight sim, is TF Cliffs of Dover. By far.

The fact that the trees are not collideable, for whatever reason, has never bothered me. For some strange reason, I never really find myself flying below tree top level.

Oh I guess if they were , I could go into exterior view, fly my plane into the trees and watch the grand explosion and think, hey cool. One time would probably be enough for me, and so far I have never found myself wishing - dang, why can't I collide into trees...

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4129272 - 06/04/15 08:03 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: dburne]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: dburne
... For some strange reason, I never really find myself flying below tree top level...

That reminds me of the time that the Testers team was disbanded (apart from one) because one plane didn't have a collision DM, during a BETA, and it was discovered when one tester flew into a tree and didn't explode.
So the Project Manager flew into a rage and removed everyone else from the Tester Team.

That was when I started to think that things weren't quite right with the developers of BOS.

Shame it all lived up to my fears.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 06/04/15 08:05 PM.
#4129375 - 06/04/15 10:42 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: bongodriver]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
I think in reality the issue with collideable trees is a fantasy killer rather than an immersion killer, they seem to suggest that not being able to crash into trees is unrealistic when in fact being that close to trees in the first place is unrealistic,

Good point, and I agree. When I found this out, I thought "ok, and when would I be flying in the trees?" "But what about players hiding in the trees?" Who cares about dweebs in the trees.

Non issue.

I would trade contact with trees causing damage for great single player content every day.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4129384 - 06/04/15 11:12 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

I would trade contact with trees causing damage for great single player content every day.

A big plus 1 to that!
Precisely why I continue to fly Cliffs of Dover (TF of course). Have not flown BOS in months... for single player action, no comparison.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4129493 - 06/05/15 07:01 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Even WT has collideable trees.
copter

If you're close, get closer.
#4129501 - 06/05/15 07:57 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: dburne]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan

A big plus 1 to that!
Precisely why I continue to fly Cliffs of Dover (TF of course). Have not flown BOS in months... for single player action, no comparison.

But CLOD has neither collision detection for trees nor a single player campaign with a damn.

S = k ln W
#4129505 - 06/05/15 08:21 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: mugwump]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: mugwump

A big plus 1 to that!

But CLOD has neither collision detection for trees nor a single player campaign with a damn.

Have you tried some of the linear campaigns by Bolox or Heinkill (Fred Williams)...they're brilliant. Granted, there are only about 20 of them (and I wish there were more), but "Spitfire On My Tail" parts 1 and 2 are simply great, where he takes you through a book written by an actual Luftwaffe pilot chapter by chapter. Now that's what I'm talking about!

And then how about the Desastersoft campaigns for CloD...also excellent.

And these campaigns exists because the tools and hooks are there in CloD to build them. And these tools and hooks are the single most important thing that is missing in BoS. Loft has consciously left them out of BoS because....
I'm still looking...
Found it. This is the target age for BoS customers (not the girl in the cage in the background). Loft is the one on the right. He's explaining how BoS is just like Doom, except with wings. The prospective customer is probably not into historic role playing yet.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4129507 - 06/05/15 08:27 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
yeah but I bet none of those campaigns portrayed the famous lumberjack raids.

#4129613 - 06/05/15 01:14 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
He cuts down trees
He eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesday he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4129634 - 06/05/15 01:36 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
The Tree stuff isn't very important for the battle of England.
On the same map, it would be a real problem to simulate RAF Rhubard missions over France.
.... but since the corresponding planeset isn't available, I suppose it isn't a problem either.

There were some Bf110 Jabo attacks with partial approaches and escapes at tree level (some mission are fully documented in specialized 'zines)... but I suppose these rare events are of no interest to those who don't care about uncollidables trees.

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.