Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4127518 - 06/01/15 06:11 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: corsaire31]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: corsaire31
Of course asking the question on the WOFF forum the answers are no surprise.
If you ask the same question on the ROF forum, you will get the opposite answers... hahaha

I think you'd probably get most of the same exact answers, but with the preference stating why RoF is what suits their desires better. As in "True, WOFF has a nice single player campaign, but if you're looking to fly on-line RoF is the only way to go. Plus, it has a newer engine with multicore support and cool damage modeling effects. Yeah, WOFF has better AI, but nothing beats flying against a living opponent."

It'd really be the same reasons stated here, just with the preference or emphasis on RoF's strengths.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4127651 - 06/01/15 11:33 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: corsaire31]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Of course asking the question on the WOFF forum the answers are no surprise.
If you ask the same question on the ROF forum, you will get the opposite answers... hahaha
( Out of the 50 guys playing ROF regularly on the french Check Six forum these last years, I think we are only two playing WOFF and posting here ( Action Joe and myself ) )

As I said before, we are happy guys to have the possibility of flying these two fine sims which have both complementary gameplay.

I knew that posting on the WOFF forum was likely to get a lot of people preferring WOFF. I prefer single player games and when I login to a multi-player online game I tend to play like it is single player. Given that plus the whole immersion thing, it seemed like WOFF was the place to start. wink

I will probably download RoF as well just to see what it is like. It will take a back seat to getting WOFF up and running but I am certainly curious about it too. Once I retire at the end of next year, I ought to have time for both games. thumbsup

EDIT: I don't mean to offend any RoF players but I was leaning towards WOFF to start and posted here only since I was hoping for answers from players with some experience in both games without cross-posting to both game forums.

Last edited by BKCason; 06/01/15 11:46 PM.

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4127659 - 06/02/15 12:31 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
The RoF forum seems a little "deserted" imho....

" In vino veritas "
#4127664 - 06/02/15 12:52 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't have much to contribute, BKCarson, but welcome! beercheers

I only have WOFF and seldom even have time to fly. Like this weekend: I'm home chopping some roots out and I get called to a job site, had to drop everything and skedattle. But I'll second the motion to get everything OBD is offering. When I do gee up in the air, quite honestly I've never had the feeling of actually flying like I do in WOFF. If RoF is better, I'd sure like to know how... I don't have it. But the scenery, the skies, just blow me away.

I use Saitek stuff, and that's a matter of taste, but TrackIR is as close to mandatory as I can make it. You really will have 100x better experience using it over the old hat button - arrow key stuff. You hands& feet have enough to do, believe me.

But if there is one thing that really, really sells it for me, it's all the folks you see posting here. Dedicated, funny, helpful, good people that are fun to chat with on and off topic; and the developers are here as well and will jump right in. Good folk all, it's my most active forum.

I hope you enjoy WOFF and join the "barmy" bunch who hang about here!

Best,

Tom

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4127673 - 06/02/15 01:17 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Don't shoot me ! smile I'm not defending one or the other, they are two different games for different types of play and I'm glad to enjoy both.

( For those who play also ROF the AI has been made a lot better by PWCG and other community mods - the PWCG AI also often breaks out and flies home, planes often try to outclimb you and don't always go down - , although WOFF is superior in that part of the game. )

Last edited by corsaire31; 06/02/15 01:17 AM.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#4127674 - 06/02/15 01:22 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: Cavaliere57]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: Cavaliere57

That's years that I only go there to pick up the PWCG releases ( 16.0 just released ) and mods. But there are many active forums outside of the official one ( where people mostly throw stones at each other about flight models or other similar topics.)

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#4127678 - 06/02/15 01:31 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: corsaire31]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Don't shoot me ! smile I'm not defending one or the other, they are two different games for different types of play and I'm glad to enjoy both.

( For those who play also ROF the AI has been made a lot better by PWCG and other community mods - the PWCG AI also often breaks out and flies home, planes often try to outclimb you and don't always go down - , although WOFF is superior in that part of the game. )

Yes, Pat has done a marvelous job improving the AI over the stock sim. I just picked up 16.0 myself.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4127792 - 06/02/15 09:45 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: corsaire31]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy

That's years that I only go there to pick up the PWCG releases ( 16.0 just released ) and mods. But there are many active forums outside of the official one ( where people mostly throw stones at each other about flight models or other similar topics.)

When I went there for infos,I could only see people trying to make it work,there seemed to be a lot of problems,since it's all online not much else,about the other Forums yes "Rise of Flame Wars" as usual,this happens unfortunately for every game around,be it on PCs or Console games,it does not matter what but people stupidity always rule! It's not a matter of being fanboys for one game or the other,but in the first instance I do not like games where you have to pay for everything,piece by piece,then being a total online game experience,even if you campaign as single player the games rely on servers,that was the other reason for not going for it,and above all the Campaign system,even through Mods or improved AI,it's far from giving the WOFF immersion.I don't really care for graphic useless candies that much,a flight simulator is about flying and when you are in the thick of it,you don't have time for admiring little 3D bits here and there. thumbsup

" In vino veritas "
#4127815 - 06/02/15 12:02 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
That's fine ! You don't like it, you don't play it... Nothing wrong with that. But let's try to be objective.

As always there is a good side to everything, depending how you look at it. (Always look at the bright side of life... smile ) The good thing of buying "piece by piece" is that you only buy what you are interested in, you can even play for free... (which means you can try it before deciding to put a single buck in the machine ) I most of the time waited for sales to buy the planes I wanted, so overall didn't cost me that much, considering the number of hours flown since 5 years now.

I play 75 % of the time offline with PWCG so it's not a "total online game experience".

WOFF has a similar system, as had OFF before, instead of buying planes one by one you buy DLCs or addons and you might not be interested by everything that is inside. For instance I would be interested by Ankor's ground shadows ( although you would call it graphic useless candies ) but I couldn't care less about Zeppelins and home defense. So I'm still using 1.26.

No, not on the head ! smash

@ Ankor : thks again for all the graphic improvements you brought to both WOFF and ROF !

Last edited by corsaire31; 06/02/15 12:11 PM.

#4127838 - 06/02/15 12:39 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: corsaire31]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
That's fine ! You don't like it, you don't play it... Nothing wrong with that. But let's try to be objective.

As always there is a good side to everything, depending how you look at it. (Always look at the bright side of life... smile ) The good thing of buying "piece by piece" is that you only buy what you are interested in, you can even play for free... (which means you can try it before deciding to put a single buck in the machine ) I most of the time waited for sales to buy the planes I wanted, so overall didn't cost me that much, considering the number of hours flown since 5 years now.

I play 75 % of the time offline with PWCG so it's not a "total online game experience".

WOFF has a similar system, as had OFF before, instead of buying planes one by one you buy DLCs or addons and you might not be interested by everything that is inside. For instance I would be interested by Ankor's ground shadows ( although you would call it graphic useless candies ) but I couldn't care less about Zeppelins and home defense. So I'm still using 1.26.

No, not on the head ! smash

@ Ankor : thks again for all the graphic improvements you brought to both WOFF and ROF !

Well yes but before buying WOFF ( and I was an OFF player before) I tried RoF and did not like it,as you said it's a subjective matter of course,but you cannot compare the "by DLC" stuff (with anyway a BIG starting base!),with having to buy nearly everything;unless you are a dedicated oneside fan,you will like to fly most or all the planes available,be it bombers or scouts.The WOFF line of developement is way more organic and rational,I am not buriyng RoF just sayin' it's not my thing.I enjoyed a career in Home defense,it was fun and it was historical as well,even though I prefere other tasks.With "useless candies" I am not talking about scenery shaders and the likes,I was referring only to the declamed RoF superiority ( stated by many fan declarations) above WOFF stuff,I don't really care to see levers moving around in the plane,I have more important things to do over there.Having been a 3D modeler for many Mods on various games,I know exactly what is it about it,and I can gladly tell you the most of the times a good 3D frame with Excellent textures,do a lot more than a more complex ( and heavier to handle from the CPU) 3D frame with lesser textures.The 3 D model, above a certain point, it's not really worth it,all must be functional to the game playability.Anyway to everyone its own cheers

" In vino veritas "
#4127857 - 06/02/15 01:11 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
BK, good to meet you. I am the old guy ( 78 last April ), and have been flying sims for as long as there were flight sims.

WOFF is the best by far in the WW1 experience, and the best support of ANY sim of any type!!

Much great advice above, fly in QC with can not die, and practice-- for HOURS up on end with all kinds of planes and settings. Test you plane-- stall speed, max G load, spin recovery, and all the rest.

My rig does very well on all "5's and even in a "fur ball" of several planes will stay in the 50's FPS.

Also,this is a great bunch of folks-- grumpy and nasty folks are rare arround here. Most may be found hanging
from the Oak Tree near POL's Ranch smile

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4127961 - 06/02/15 04:11 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome to the virtual skies of WOFF BKCason, you will love it here. Not much I can add to all the sound advice and wisdom already shared. I too own both WOFF and ROF but fly almost exclusively WOFF as I am all about SP campaigns. Not that I don't enjoy the occasional MP mix-up, which ROF is famous for, but it's just not my cuppa' most days. You mention you are a bit of a WWI history buff and a reader of Great War aviation literature, which puts you in good stead here. There are a few of us with these same interests hanging about.

Again, glad to have you with us. Oh, and new lads buy the drinks!

cheers

Cheers!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4127977 - 06/02/15 04:47 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: CW3SF]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: CW3SF
BK, good to meet you. I am the old guy ( 78 last April ), and have been flying sims for as long as there were flight sims.

WOFF is the best by far in the WW1 experience, and the best support of ANY sim of any type!!

Much great advice above, fly in QC with can not die, and practice-- for HOURS up on end with all kinds of planes and settings. Test you plane-- stall speed, max G load, spin recovery, and all the rest.

My rig does very well on all "5's and even in a "fur ball" of several planes will stay in the 50's FPS.

Also,this is a great bunch of folks-- grumpy and nasty folks are rare around here. Most may be found hanging

CW3SF, It is nice to know I am not the only geezer around biggrin wave

I am about 10 years behind you and may we both have many more years to come!

Ben Cason

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4127999 - 06/02/15 05:05 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
In keeping with all the good advice that i have gotten, I went ahead an bought V2.0 & downloaded it. I have backed up all the new stuff up on DVDs. I am now reduced to waiting for MSCFS & the joystick to arrive.

The real bummer is MSCFS might not arrive until June 10th. From reading the FAQs there is not much I can install until I have it in hand. Once I do have it, it looks like all I need to do is have the MSCFS V3.1 CD in the drive during the WOFF install. If my CD turns out to be V3.0 then I have to install MSCFS and apply the V3.1 patch. sigh

If MSCFS is not here by this coming weekend and the joystick has arrived [the vendor for the joystick is very reliable so expect it will], I will go ahead and install RoF [already downloaded] and play around with it while waiting for MSCFS.

Edit: Yay! the joystick has shipped and is expected tomorrow! So, worst case, I'm installing RoF and playing around with it this weekend.

Last edited by BKCason; 06/02/15 05:56 PM.

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4128132 - 06/02/15 09:07 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: BKCason
Originally Posted By: CW3SF

Also,this is a great bunch of folks-- grumpy and nasty folks are rare around here. Most may be found hanging

CW3SF, It is nice to know I am not the only geezer around biggrin wave

I am about 10 years behind you and may we both have many more years to come!

Ben Cason

While not quite that long in the toothe, I still wish my fps while playing this game was as high as my age!

#4128190 - 06/02/15 11:00 PM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
In keeping with all the good advice that i have gotten, I went ahead an bought V2.0 & downloaded it. I have backed up all the new stuff up on DVDs. I am now reduced to waiting for MSCFS & the joystick to arrive.

The real bummer is MSCFS might not arrive until June 10th. From reading the FAQs there is not much I can install until I have it in hand. Once I do have it, it looks like all I need to do is have the MSCFS V3.1 CD in the drive during the WOFF install. If my CD turns out to be V3.0 then I have to install MSCFS and apply the V3.1 patch. sigh

If MSCFS is not here by this coming weekend and the joystick has arrived [the vendor for the joystick is very reliable so expect it will], I will go ahead and install RoF [already downloaded] and play around with it while waiting for MSCFS.

Edit: Yay! the joystick has shipped and is expected tomorrow! So, worst case, I'm installing RoF and playing around with it this weekend.

Once you have CFS3,just put it into your CD drive,then start WOFF install,it will ask you for files from CFS3,will grab 'em and that's all,most likely your CFS copy won't need any upgrade patch,I got mine before starting with OFF,so some years ago, and it was already the lastest version.

" In vino veritas "
#4128229 - 06/03/15 12:23 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: Cavaliere57]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA

Once you have CFS3,just put it into your CD drive,then start WOFF install,it will ask you for files from CFS3,will grab 'em and that's all,most likely your CFS copy won't need any upgrade patch,I got mine before starting with OFF,so some years ago, and it was already the lastest version.

Thanks for the info. That is encouraging [unless Amazon finds an ancient copy from deep in some warehouse (13?) to ship to me and I will welcome as simple an install of WOFF as possible.

Amazon did say MSCFS had shipped today. Now to see if it makes it to Maryland by Friday.

As an aside, I installed RoF this evening. It only took 2 tries RTFM. I can't do anything with it since the joystick is not expected until tomorrow or Thursday and I don't even want to think about trying to use the mouse as a controller. I just logged in and checked out the settings to make it as easy as possible to start.

In any case, the excitement continues to build. I think it has been 25+ years since I played the original Red Baron [not the 3D version that came later] so I am ready for some flight time. smile

Once I get some playing time, I need to see if I can live by a fellow Marine's quote: There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets. -- Doyle 'Wahoo' Nicholson, USMC.

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4128235 - 06/03/15 12:40 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: BKCarson

In any case, the excitement continues to build. I think it has been 25+ years since I played the original Red Baron [not the 3D version that came later] so I am ready for some flight time. smile

Just remember, if Mick Mannock challenges you to a dogfight, he's bringing three of his friends! thumbsup

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4128264 - 06/03/15 01:41 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Just remember, if Mick Mannock challenges you to a dogfight, he's bringing three of his friends! thumbsup

You know what they say: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you did something wrong biggrin

I assume it is possible for a player character to fly with aces like Mannock at some point during the game, right?

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4128276 - 06/03/15 02:30 AM Re: Questions for the experienced players [Re: BKCason]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

You know what they say: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you did something wrong biggrin

I assume it is possible for a player character to fly with aces like Mannock at some point during the game, right?

Yes it happens but it will be random as they are assigned to your flight.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3