Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 227 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 226 227
#4127231 - 06/01/15 12:10 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Adian Lothbrok has made it across the channel to his new home.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4127233 - 06/01/15 12:18 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

Sgt Alan Smith (Warbirds Rising)

Date: 1 June 1915
Mission: Transfer Flight from Biggin Hill to Ablee

1 June 1915 The day has finally arrived. I am off to the front, assigned to 6th Squadron. My observer, Capt. Sebastin Johnson and I are assigned to fly a BE to our new home at Abeele, in Flanders. The weather is terrible for a cross channel flight-steady rain, and almost a solid cloud base at about 4,000 feet. I won't be sorry to leave this English weather! Capt. Johnson suggests that since we really don't want to have our engine quit over the channel, we should get in the air early and do some touch and go's at Biggin Hill. The machine handles wonderfully. After landing and refueling, the adjutant verifies my latest flights in my log book and notes that I now have ten hours solo time, and so should be capable of this short flight to France. He's a queer one. I never know when he is being serious.

Capt Johnson and I are back in the air at 9:15 AM. With luck, we should get use to our new home in time for lunch. It continues to rain. I climb to 2000 feet, and head ESE, staying below the clouds so I can follow the roads. At Tonbridge, I climb to 3500 feet, and head to Ashford, my next navigation checkpoint. However, ten minutes East of Tonbridge, the aircraft begins to lose oil pressure. Fortunately, Kent is relatively flat, and I spot a suitable pasture. After shutting down the engine before it seizes, I make a successful dead stick landing, which was possibly the best landing I have ever made. A friendly farmer gives Capt Johnson a ride into Tonebridge to call Biggin Hill, and they send a mechanic to repair the engine. Fortunately, the problem was a relatively minor seal, which is quickly replaced. While the mechanic does the repairs, the farmer and I patch some holes in the field to provide as smooth a take off run as possible. By 1:30, the job is done and I do some engine run ups to make sure the repair holds. By 1:45, we are back in the air. By this time, the weather has substantially cleared, with only scattered clouds at 2000-4500 feet, and no more rain and light winds. Following roads, we easily make our next navigation check point at Dover without incident and then onto Calais, and from there on to our new home at Abeele, landing at 3:15 PM.
[Player note-I had a random engine failure and set it down in a field. To recreate a subsequent take off, I did another QC flight with the time suitably adjusted for a subsequent T/O, using Bekesbourne airfield, which is located relatively close to the pasture I landed in ]

Leaving Biggin Hill

In a cow pasture

Leaving England

Last edited by Combs; 06/01/15 10:30 AM.

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.
#4127239 - 06/01/15 01:06 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Nice pictures, everyone!

The flight from Koln (Cologne) to the front is over 3 hours. Yeesh. I don't want to have to do that too often!

#4127261 - 06/01/15 03:01 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Flight Sub-Lieutenant Arthur Ethelstan (Warbirds Rising)

Date: June 1, 1915
Orders: Transfer flight from Eastchurch to RFC aircraft depot at St. Omer and then onto RNAS 1 based St. Pol-sur-Mer

Flight Lieutenant Thayer and I left promptly from Eastchurch at 8:22am and headed southeast towards Dover for the crossing of the channel. The weather was a perfect June day with light fluffy clouds and a warm sun, if I hadn't known that we were flying off to war I would've thought we were on holiday. The flight to Dover was uneventful and pleasant with the two of us pointing out landmarks that we each were familiar with. I'm not ashamed to say that as I approached Dover I didn't get quite an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as I looked on that vast amount of water that we had to cross. Silently saying a small prayer for the engine, I turned a few degrees to the east and began our crossing. It wasn't long before we saw the Dover-Calais ferry heading for Dover, I waggled the wings in a friendly hello. Before long we were across and I proceeded onto St. Omer. As we flew along, we both remarked how pretty France looked from the air and also it didn't appear to us, at least, that there was a war on. It wasn't long until St. Omer appeared and then the airfield. I circled and then landed and left the plane in the skilled hands of the aircraft depot's mechanics. While Lieutenant Thayer and I refreshed ourselves, the mechanics had our plane refueled and positioned for our flight to St. Pol-sur-Mer. We took off around 11:30 and arrived at St. Pol-sur-Mer in time for a delicious luncheon. After lunch, I reported to Squadron Commander Bancroft and he brought me up to date on my duties and what he expected of me and everyone else in the squadron. Tomorrow, is to be spent in training flight to familiarize myself with our operating area. I look forward to what tomorrow brings.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4127297 - 06/01/15 08:10 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Very long flight from Koln to Colmar. Followed the river upstream to the head waters and then took a compass heading. 284 minutes of wonderful scenery.

#4127301 - 06/01/15 09:09 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Salute

have 2 pilots...but Alfred Ball (RFC) got a little delayed and arrives at No.6 a few days later...
So My Hun Pilot "Anton Leber" (yes a real name from the real unit) had to make 2 missions to get to Rumbeke Airfield. All told he had to put in over 5 hrs. First leg to bring a BI to Giramont airpark, Verdun sector. Upon arriving Anton was very annoyed to learn the he would have to fly the same aircraft to Rumbeke and report to FFA.6 that is stationed there.

"Why the hell didn't I just fly there in the first place!"

Mr & Mrs. Ball will be getting a letter tommorow (I think)

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4127333 - 06/01/15 11:40 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Ok. I've managed to upload my video finally, but not in HD due to a slow broken internet connection. After takeoff, I just stayed on a WSW course and eventually reached the pilot pool after about an hour and fifty minutes. I'll try to fly to my final base today.

#4127336 - 06/01/15 11:48 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Sergent Allard Tremblay made his cross-country trip this AM from St. Inglevert down to Lahoussoye and his assignment with MS23. It was 8:00 on a beautiful winter's morning and the Morane Saulnier he had been given ran wonderfully as he lifted from the snowy ground. Here was his route.

Climbing into a crisp winter's sky with St. Inglevert slipping under the left wing.

The sun was just cresting the horizon as Sgt. Tremblay gained altitude.

Passing the Forêt de Boulogne as he flew south along the coast.

Sunrise at 1,500 meters.

Reaching the mouth of the Somme, Allard turns southeast to follow the river.

Passing Abbeville as he nears his destination.

Through a break in the clouds Lahoussoye comes into view.

Making the long descent to his new home, Sgt. Tremblay had climbed to 2,600 meters through the course of his flight, according to his wrist altimeter.

Coming into land, all was very quiet.

Safely on the ground, Allard reported in and was greeted most heartily by Capitaine Auguste de Reverend, Commander of MS23. Now the settling in begins.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4127386 - 06/01/15 01:49 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Great video, Oldhat! I was feeling some icy vibes from your observer, though... Bit of a pill, is he?

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4127396 - 06/01/15 02:08 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Oldhat; very nice vid in spite of not being HD.

Some very enthralling screen shots in this thread folks!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4127452 - 06/01/15 03:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Good luck Gents. It seems all so far have made it to their new homes without any fatalities. My German aviator got lucky and had a dud engine right after takeoff and was able to land back at Koln. He was given a new machine and told to be on his way. 3 plus hours later he landed at Bertincourt.

Nice video OldHat!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4127508 - 06/01/15 05:40 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt, Almost There
2 Sgn, Rfc.
Flanders.

1 June 1915.

I say, bit of a cockup. I Have to pay more attention to Navigation. Landed at the wrong Aerodrome . Put down at Albee only to be told the chaps are at Merville so off on a lark to fine the chaps.

Last edited by carrick58; 06/01/15 05:40 PM.
#4127569 - 06/01/15 08:22 PM Ambrose Vix - Letter Home 1 February 1915 [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4127576 - 06/01/15 08:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks fellas.

Rick, when I was recording that scene, I imagined him saying something like "Hey you! what are you staring at?"

Carrick, I just did the same thing as you. I left at sunset from the pilot pool to the final base and landed on the wrong field, but I still had my engine running. So, I took off again and found the right one. The landscape is so sparse that it's easy to get lost.

Home sweet Home

EDIT: I'm really enjoying and learning from the variety of reports in this thread, the other DiD and the reports from the front thread. Very nice reading to pass the morning breakfast.

Last edited by OldHat; 06/01/15 08:45 PM.
#4127637 - 06/01/15 10:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Sgt Sterling and Capt. Harris ferried a new MS 'L' to RFC-3 today. The plane was perfect, and the crew actually found the aerodrome, despite some poor visibility due to some cloud layers. An interesting mix of pilots welcomed them: a Sgt. McCudden, quiet but seems to have a good head, and a 2Lt. Harvey-Kelley, yup the same one who was the fist flyer over here. Boy, this should be fun!

#4127714 - 06/02/15 03:22 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave
yep

I think it was easy to get lost back then so this is realistic. I remember reading stories where early aviators landed near farms to ask for directions or followed train tracks to destinations. reading

Last edited by carrick58; 06/02/15 03:23 AM.
#4127742 - 06/02/15 04:50 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Ofz. Alfonse Straub
FFA 62, Aviatik B.I
June 2, 1915

We arrived on a warm, late spring day at Douai airfield. The trip from Koln took a little under four hours, with the fields and towns of Germany finally yielding to those of Belgium. The only real difference I noticed is the distinct lack of forest - the Flanders region is more heavily developed than the north.

Upon arriving I reported to Hautpmann Gerhard Holland, an amiable fellow. He said my first few missions would be simple enough, really just getting more used to my mount before the real fun begins.

As for said mount, the Aviatik machine is a wonder of modern technology. Still, even at 80 kph she has trouble staying in the air and, except for a dive, it's hard to imagine a machine going faster. This means she has a tendency to stall which can make her awkward, especially immediately after lift off.

Along with the captain and myself there are four others in our squadron. Two in particular stand out: Leutnant Oswald Boelcke seems like a natural leader to me and will no doubt command his own FFA some day. Boelcke says he has been working on rules or guidelines for new pilots to survive by. I'll be very curious to see what he comes up with.

Offizierstellvertreter Max Immelman is the other. I watched in awe as he put the Aviatik through its paces that first afternoon. I never saw an aircraft come around so fast - would not have thought it possible. I spoke with him and we got along famously, having a fascinating conversation about an aeroplane's energy and how best to utilize it.

I wish I could say I got along with my beobachter, Walter Moelders. When I found him quite out of order in the officer's mess I told him he would have a hard time of it tomorrow, which is when he made a reference to my mother I had to resent, and it deteriorated from there. I would not want to count on him in a fight.

On June 2nd I flew my two 'training' flights, one being a pair of laps around Douai, and the other a sprint to the front. During the latter I flew low over Lens to the admiration of the Frenchmen there.

You can't really hate them you know. Yes, the French need to be put in their place, but after this is over I would like to visit out of uniform. Maybe next spring.

Approaching the lines I got my first good look at the trenches.

I almost feel sorry for anyone trying to storm those!

Speaking of which, since I was kindly given some bombs for this 'mission,' I dropped them on the French trenches. No real damage however.

Tomorrow, Leutnant Boelcke promised me some real action. So far our missions revolve around artillery spotting and bombing. I can't wait!

#4127821 - 06/02/15 12:13 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Well Anton (FFA.6) has been working hard getting to know the area. It's Squadron policy that all newcomers make their own maps.

below is just a bit of his work today.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4127937 - 06/02/15 03:13 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama

#4127957 - 06/02/15 04:00 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fine batch of reports folks. Good to see everyone has made it to their assignments.

Sgt. Tremblay was tasked today by his CO, Capitaine de Reverend, with two sorties. The first was this morning when he was told to make a few large circles around Lahoussoye as he climbed to 1,500 meters and get a sense of his surroundings. The second was in the afternoon when he was instructed to fly east to the front lines and back to take note of landmark features and such. While the first sortie went as planned the second was cut short when his engine began failing about the time he reached Albert. He landed in a field on the south edge of the city and he and his observer, Sgt. Jerome Fauchard, had a brisk walk into town where they managed to get word back to camp and have a team sent to fetch them and their Morane.

Looking for a suitable field to land in on the south side of Albert.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Page 5 of 227 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse