I'd been telling my significant other for years to NOT store the rolls of paper towels in the cupboards directly above our gas stove. I told her to store them in any other cupboard, but not the one directly over the stove. My concerns were that a paper roll could accidentally fall down when she opens the cupboard, and if the stove was on, it could ignite if it landed on a lit burner. Sure enough...... That's exactly what happened this past Saturday. She panicked, tried to knock the flaming paper towel roll into the sink and ended up knocking it on the floor on top of the floor mat, which then caught fire immediately. Luckily I was home and in another room when it happened, and grabbed the fire extinguisher. This could have been much much worse. Luckily, it wasn't.
"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..." Ice
"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!" MigBuster
"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands." Sauron
In similar ways, I went through several unfortunate experiences as a consequence of the same obstinate behavior from household members when people plain refuse to engage common sense just out of stupidity and sheer bloody single-mindedness.
It's a good lesson for your wife.
People are dismissive and indifferent until bad things happen. If I were you, I would not let her off so easily. Now is the time to slam home the point.....with an iron fist and sledgehammer, no less.
In the case of having no Fire Extinguisher you can use a box of Baking Soda or Salt and spread/throw it liberally (it wont burn) over oil or grease to smother a fire, never use water on a stove top fire. I've always found it rather short sighted to put burner controls on the back of the stovetop because in case of fire the first thing you want to do is turn of the ignition source. As a cook I've seen a few kitchen fires both in restaurant and home and most times they've been preventable. Once saw a pot of oil self ignite because someone turned it off and covered it. Often I've seen the cabinets directly over the stove used for storage of cooking oil usually the ones that years of cooking have saturated the particle board materials they are made of and the hood fan that pulls the grease and smoke to a filter and doesn't go anywhere but into the bottom of a cabinet is always saturated so you have ready made combustibles waiting for that one moment something flames up.
Windows 7 64 SP1 Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz GeForce 750 Ti 2Gb Twin Frozr 8Gb Kingston 1600Mhz Logitech G930