Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4124711 - 05/25/15 07:07 PM Witcher 3 basic play questions...  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida

I'm not good in these games that require alcemy and making potions... I prefer just to be a fighter with a sword and shield... and collect the health and mana bottles. wink

So in Witcher 3... which the above is a must...

1.) How do I apply the oil to the sword? and do I do that right before I fight a spector?

2.) I've been collecting everything, and keeping it all... but how do I make bombs and when I don't have the ingredients, but I know what I need... where do I know to find them, like Sulfur?

3.) Should I just sell all the JUNK and old weapons I find on the battlefield? or should I have a smith left them down for equipment. Not sure I understand how to create bigger and better gear, or how to insert something in them.

any tips would be appreciated for this beginner witcher.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4124921 - 05/26/15 08:09 AM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I'm not a huge fan of these types of game but the hype has made me wonder if I'm missing out on some good gaming. Is this open world like Grand Theft Auto but with spells and potions or is the single player more of a linear affair? Never played the Witcher series.

#4125012 - 05/26/15 12:42 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
open world as you move through the SP story... my wife said it best watching me play yesterday... it's looks like that cowboy game you played forever years ago, (Red Dead Redemption), but instead of bad guys, people, and animals... your fighting monsters, people, and animals... not with guns but with sword and magic.

You of course have to stay in a large area to do missions and clear areas, to level up for the bigger more powerful areas... but yes, it's open.

#4125045 - 05/26/15 01:13 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It's like a cinematic Red Dead Redemption, just bigger and with swords.

To apply the oil just drag it from your inventory onto your equipped sword.

For ingredients you just need to find or buy them. Blacksmiths often have metals and parts for sale, and there's vendors for ingredients as well (check your map or progress further).

If you have a rusty sword you're not going to use just sell it (DON'T sell your starting armor, you can upgrade it a bit later. I tend to keep all starting weapons and armor in these games). I always find if I really need something I can just buy whatever it is or break down a crafting object into components. For finding things in the wild plants tend to grow in certain areas. If you keep finding the same damn thing try riding down to a different part of the map and look there.

Also there's a section with tutorials on everything in your menu there. I find it handy if I have a quick question.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4125102 - 05/26/15 02:43 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Hmm sounds like it might be worth a punt, I liked Red Dead Redemption and wished they would make a sequel. My missus lies to watch some of the story based stuff I play on the consoles like The Last of Us and she watched me play through Halo but doesn't do a lot of gaming on the consoles just on PC but for games like this I tend to prefer the consoles so I can kick back and relax on the sofa and just play, this might encourage her to pick up the joypad, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Revvin; 05/26/15 02:44 PM.
#4127126 - 05/31/15 05:35 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Fille_SWE Offline
PSN: Fille_SWE
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Magnum i guess youre at the same place as i am, clensing the well.
Peally- i sold the boots and gloves since i found some better ones. was that a huge mistake?
Revvin- my wife loved to Watch me play The last of us and want me to get the dlc. she really liked the story.

#4127127 - 05/31/15 05:42 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Magnum]  
Fille_SWE Offline
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
-magnum, btw if youre at the mission Devil by the well. the noonwraith is weaker at night time. you can also find some arenaria plants at Odolons house.

#4127351 - 06/01/15 12:48 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Fille_SWE
Magnum i guess youre at the same place as i am, clensing the well.
Peally- i sold the boots and gloves since i found some better ones. was that a huge mistake?
Revvin- my wife loved to Watch me play The last of us and want me to get the dlc. she really liked the story.

Sorry I just meant the chest armor. The rest is disposable and easily reacquired later. The Kaer Morhen armor can be greatly upgraded when you find a blacksmith.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4127462 - 06/01/15 04:01 PM Re: Witcher 3 basic play questions... [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Fille_SWE

I guess its a testament to how far some genres have gone in regards to not just the visuals but the story telling too that people are content to sit and watch the game played out even though they are not in direct control and would watch it like they would watch a TV series or film.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.