Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4126876 - 05/30/15 07:51 PM Home made training!  
cCromwell Offline
cCromwell  Offline

I created a pilot and had him posted in 1917 to an RE8 squadron.

I then flew a few home brew training missions conjured up in QC out of Stowe Maris in a BE12.

I then had him posted to Dover where he was informed he was to fly a new RE8 over to France. He was introduced to 2n Lt Carl Edith.A new Obs/Gunner also out of training and heading to France.

"So your names Edith! Mind if I call you Eddie old Bean?"

"Call me what you like my old son, as long as its not late for dinner. Your names Peach,interesting name old fruit!..Get it..old fruit!"

"Yes I got it"

At Dover the problem of getting their kit to France came up, there was no way they were getting the kit in the RE8 and get off the ground.

"Are these golf clubs yours Eddie?"

"Yes rather! Do you play?"

"No a good walk spoilt as my Old man use to say. Adj says our kit will be sent over on the packet. We can arrange onward shipment when we are over there. Not sure the French play golf Eddie"

"Bloody Hell, I was hoping to keep my handicap, I do't suppose you have a handicap old Fruit."

"I am begining to think I have now!"

As they walk out to the RE8 2nd Lt Edith looks at the sea.

"Perhaps I should have joined the Navy as my Father wanted me to do."

"Why didn't you?"

"Didn't want to get drowned my old Fruit!"

"Well if this RE8 is as reliable as the BE12 I was flying , a watery death is a distinct possibility!"

"No golf and a dunking...War is certainly hell"

I set up a QC mission from Dover and flew to Calais. The aircraft behaved but the cloud cover forced the RE8 to fly low. A safe landing was made at Calais. 2nd Lt Peach and Edith went to the port to try to arrange onward shipping of their kit. They met up with a couple of RFC Erks who were loading a truck. As luck would have it they were delivering spares to their Squadron at Savy and agreed to bring their kit...for the price of a couple of beers.

I then set up another QC from Calais so I could fly on to Savy. The WOFF map did not show Savy, but with the use of an old "Flying Corp Gold" map the intrepid pair got ready to set off flying an East by south East course.

"Why you have two maps Peach old fruit?"

"Well one shows Calais and the other dosent!"

"Wheres the map that shows Savy?"

"Don't have one Eddie old boy! Just this old map that shows the general area"

"How will we know when we are there?"

"Look for an airfield near that funny shaped wood"

"Well, it's reassuring to be in the hands of efficient modern technology, old fruit!"

They took off from Calais and by more luck than Judgement arrived at Savy in time for Lunch.

I really enjoyed this mini set up using the QC facility.

Gives an extra dimension, the flight over the Channel was nerve wracking, dreading a technical fault developing.

Lets hope 2nd Lt Peach and Edith fit in to their Squadron!

#4126882 - 05/30/15 08:32 PM Re: Home made training! [Re: cCromwell]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Very cool, I love that.
I did that myself with my pilots. QC's with logged flighthours etc., making trainingflights, landings on open terrain, with cut engines etc. and then when done flying to your assigned airfield, sometimes with stops overnight. thumbsup

#4126886 - 05/30/15 08:42 PM Re: Home made training! [Re: cCromwell]  
Lewis Offline
Lewis  Offline

Maritime Oregon.
I wish you could do this in OFF I cannot find any airfields to start at in Britain with the older sim.

You still have your old Flying Corp Gold maps? And here I thought I hoarded stuff.

Barmy OFFer in questionable standing, maybe collapsed in a corner?

Join the few, the touched, the moon spacklers.

[image]http://combatace.com/uploads/profile/photo-65486.jpg[/image]
#4126890 - 05/30/15 09:05 PM Re: Home made training! [Re: cCromwell]  
cCromwell Offline
cCromwell  Offline

I am sure when i used OFF (Some time ago now) there were English Airfields, but perhaps my memory is fooling me!

I loved OFF then went away from simming for a while tried ROF but it actually felt so sterile it forgot all about WW1 simming until I took the the plunge with WOFF.

I still have to get the next update...and I really want that as it includes home defence! My reason...when I was a child, my great Aunt told me how, as a young lady she saw a Zepplin shot down over Cuffley (Just North of London) and in the morning she went to see the burnt out skeleton on the common. She died when she was 102, a great lady, totally with it until she died, great sense of humour, great sense of fun and a great Aunt to have!

#4126892 - 05/30/15 09:08 PM Re: Home made training! [Re: Lewis]  
cCromwell Offline
cCromwell  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lewis
I wish you could do this in OFF I cannot find any airfields to start at in Britain with the older sim.

You still have your old Flying Corp Gold maps? And here I thought I hoarded stuff.

Yes I still have the Flying Corp Gold maps. Sad muppet that I am.

I am/was a navigator and to dispose of a good map or chart is the act of a lunatic!

However! a map or chart is only accurate the day it is drawn! As 2nd Lt's Peach and Edith found out!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM