Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4120992 - 05/16/15 12:38 PM Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Oculus Rift CV1

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 (higher or equivalent)
Intel Core i5-4590 3,7 GHz (higher or equivalent)
8+ GB primary memmory (preferably even more)
HDMI 1.3 port
2 x USB 3.0-ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer.

Its going to take, roughly, 3 times the power to run a traditional game with CV1 than in 1080p. CV1 = 2 160 × 1 200p splitt into 2 screens = 1080x1200p per screen.

Only Windows is supported at the start.

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 05/16/15 12:43 PM.
#4121066 - 05/16/15 05:54 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
I guess that would bring my rig right down to its knees! smile

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
#4121205 - 05/17/15 06:14 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
MiG21bisFishbedL Offline
MiG21bisFishbedL  Offline

Yup, time to invest in a nice TrackIR set up then.

wut meens b?
#4121352 - 05/17/15 09:45 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
TrackIR is a distant memory for me, now that I have seen flight simulation in VR there is no way back.

#4121947 - 05/19/15 02:32 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
That's interesting, Bongo. I had supposed that OR is mostly hype and only marginally better than TIR. Statements like yours make me reconsider.

Time will tell...

#4121989 - 05/19/15 04:41 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I agree with Bongo. This time VR is not hype. Once you've spent some time in Prepar3d, DCS, FSX in VR there's no way back to the monitors. I had my Oculus DK2 for months and I've still wowed everytime I start a flight sim in VR. It's truely awesome to be able to be in a the cockpits of legendary planes at their true scale. With the current resolution, I can often see the gauges just well enough, but details in the distance can become harder to spot that on a monitor (this is particularly true for combat flight sims. For non combat flight I'm totally fine). Even then, the gain in immersion is so mind blowing that I'm happy with losing some distant details. With consumer level 1st gen VR HMD like the Vive and CV1 things are going to look very good, and for those who really want to see far details the 2nd gen will probably get there soon enough.

#4121991 - 05/19/15 04:43 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Can't trust my wife with OR, she will dump coakroaches into my coffee while I'm fully immersed...
She is a bit of a sad clown at times.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4122009 - 05/19/15 05:48 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
Has the release date for CV1 finally been announced, I gave up trying to keep up with all the hype and stony silence about the release date from OR?
To be honest with the HTC Vive looking so good as well, it's going to be difficult to pin it down to a clear winner... smile

#4122021 - 05/19/15 06:36 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yes, CV will be released during Q1 2016. For the moment I think I'll go Vive because their input framework (Lighthouse) sounds awesome and for the rest it sounds like Vive and Oculus CV1 will be similar.

Slug, my wife keeps ambushing me whenever I'm using the DK2. Her latest one was to carry the dog to bring him next to my head so that he can lick attack me - when she's doing that while I'm in a flight sim it's ok, but when playing Alien Isolation it's more problematic. It's a very isolating experience for sure. Sometime I forget about the room in which I'm in, whether it's night or day. When you removed the DK2 after playing for an hour or two it does feel weird to realise how much you've been cut from the real world.

#4122070 - 05/19/15 11:32 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
Yes, CV will be released during Q1 2016. For the moment I think I'll go Vive because their input framework (Lighthouse) sounds awesome and for the rest it sounds like Vive and Oculus CV1 will be similar.

Slug, my wife keeps ambushing me whenever I'm using the DK2. Her latest one was to carry the dog to bring him next to my head so that he can lick attack me - when she's doing that while I'm in a flight sim it's ok, but when playing Alien Isolation it's more problematic. It's a very isolating experience for sure. Sometime I forget about the room in which I'm in, whether it's night or day. When you removed the DK2 after playing for an hour or two it does feel weird to realise how much you've been cut from the real world.

I've got no hope then with three michevious kids and a wife who loves to play pranks on me while I'm simming. Her worst, though she would argue it was her best was to shout 'Bail out' while I was online and about to shoot down someone I had been stalking; the voice command worked faultlessly for her but would often not for me...

#4122105 - 05/19/15 01:08 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
steeldelete Offline
steeldelete  Offline

Switzerland
yeah, and mine would pull the trigger while I'm flying in formation. "it wasn't me!" eskaped my lips. One of my buddy's sais "yeah, so who's back there, that doesn't know how to fly straight or shoot straight?!!"

cogito, ergo zoom
#4122346 - 05/19/15 11:43 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
We should have a much better idea in June to decide which VR unit to purchase. One selling a few months won't make that much difference in our decisions. The three keys we should be looking at are Specs, Content, and Price.

Price....We know that Oculus still plans to sell their unit around cost while Vive says their unit will be alittle more expensive. That can still change

Content.... We know DCS and WT will support Oculus. No word yet if any flight sim software will support Vive. Oculus currently has a huge advantage as software developers having working on Oculus support for months if not years. That can change, and Vive will probably have a number of announcements in that regared by E3.

Specs....so far the specs look close, but again there is much more info on the Specs to come.

Input Devices....Vive has inputs, Oculus is talking about announcing their input device soon. That said I have little interest in inputs, as they won't be necessary in flight sims unless you want simulate parking aircraft. wink

We simply don't have enough info to make a knowledgeable decision so far.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4122698 - 05/20/15 08:50 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

So given those requirements. If you're running a GTX 980 and that's about what it takes to run DCS at all High settings at 1080p and a good frame rate. Triple that.
And the trouble is all these flight sims are limited by the CPU not GPU
You can be running the strongest graphics cards in the world (I am) and still see your fps drop to 25-30 in some instances even with a very good multi core CPU. That's tolerable in 2D. I doubt it is in VR. They want a steady 90 fps in the Rift. Not going to happen in any flight sim today. War Thunder maybe since it's all graphics. Like Battlefiled etc. but all the sims like RoF, BoS, DCS, X-Plane. All of those are limited by CPU due to the flight modeling.

So VR might be really cool. Someday. But not today.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 05/20/15 08:51 PM.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4122949 - 05/21/15 03:04 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
I am with Sharpe here! The performance issue wont be overcome anytime soon. Beside that, most people (like me) are using a single card. But even games like BOS hardly get the gain in performance you would expect.
A fluid 90 fps per eye..maybe with a DOS based game like X-Wing.

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
#4122970 - 05/21/15 04:38 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Sad but probably true. I'd be happy just to get a consistent 60FPS @ 1080p with DCS World 2.0.

It's not VR, but Track IR with a good sized monitor is still incredibly immersive.

Last edited by BlueHeron; 05/21/15 04:39 PM.
#4123180 - 05/22/15 02:48 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I'm running DCS, Prepar3d, FSX, Elite Dangerous with a DK2 and a GTX970. The DK2 is 1080p in resolution but you run the sims at a higher resolution to allow asynchronous timewarps and the benefit of DSR as well.
They key is that (1) I don't see such a decrease on fps to run things in the rift. I can run the PMDG 737NG in OrbX Cairns in FSX at 40fps when I probably got 5-10 more fps outside of the Rift
(2) and I keep seeing the same thing everywhere: you don't need to actually render the game frames 75 or 90 times per seconds. The scene needs to be displayed at these refresh rates and renders your head movements, but with asynchronous timewarp you can easily have 60fps or even 30-40 fps for the rendering of the game and everything looks and feels great. In VR, the high refresh rate is needed for the head tracking to feel smooth, but you don't need to recalculate your scene every single time you update the head position. I don't want to go in details, but it involves tricks in predicting head movements and rendering a bit more than your current field of view so that the scene is rendered once but can be used for another frame if needed.

Because of asynchronous timewarp, it will be actually be much easier to run VR in 4K. In fact, when I play Elite Dangerous with the DK2, I get it rendered in 4K (4xDSR) and get the game to run at 75fps anyway. FSX and Prepar3D don't run at 75fps but everything feels great because of the async timewarp that Dan Church implement for his plugins for these sims. VR has seen a lot of development in the recent years, including finding ways to optimize the ways things are calculated so that current hardware can cope with the requirements. This is driving innovation faster than what we used to see before (in a environment where things were sometime stagnating due to the console market holding everything back), and it will keep driving both hardware and software innovation for a while.

In short, simming in VR is much much closer than some of you think.

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 05/22/15 02:54 AM.
#4123531 - 05/22/15 08:55 PM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
I'm running DCS, Prepar3d, FSX, Elite Dangerous with a DK2 and a GTX970. The DK2 is 1080p in resolution but you run the sims at a higher resolution to allow asynchronous timewarps and the benefit of DSR as well.
They key is that (1) I don't see such a decrease on fps to run things in the rift. I can run the PMDG 737NG in OrbX Cairns in FSX at 40fps when I probably got 5-10 more fps outside of the Rift
(2) and I keep seeing the same thing everywhere: you don't need to actually render the game frames 75 or 90 times per seconds. The scene needs to be displayed at these refresh rates and renders your head movements, but with asynchronous timewarp you can easily have 60fps or even 30-40 fps for the rendering of the game and everything looks and feels great. In VR, the high refresh rate is needed for the head tracking to feel smooth, but you don't need to recalculate your scene every single time you update the head position. I don't want to go in details, but it involves tricks in predicting head movements and rendering a bit more than your current field of view so that the scene is rendered once but can be used for another frame if needed.

Because of asynchronous timewarp, it will be actually be much easier to run VR in 4K. In fact, when I play Elite Dangerous with the DK2, I get it rendered in 4K (4xDSR) and get the game to run at 75fps anyway. FSX and Prepar3D don't run at 75fps but everything feels great because of the async timewarp that Dan Church implement for his plugins for these sims. VR has seen a lot of development in the recent years, including finding ways to optimize the ways things are calculated so that current hardware can cope with the requirements. This is driving innovation faster than what we used to see before (in a environment where things were sometime stagnating due to the console market holding everything back), and it will keep driving both hardware and software innovation for a while.

In short, simming in VR is much much closer than some of you think.

Good to know there's hope.
What graphic settings are you using for DCS? That's not too relevant I suppose since its due to change soon. I needed a 980 just to run 1080p on all High settings. What about the other sims? Do you need to turn their graphics down in order to get them running smooth?

As for 4K. It's a brutal killer. I won't expect VR in that for a long time. I'm running a 4K screen now and to get most games in Ultra + 60 fps requires two Titan X cards. Some games more so than others. DCS runs better on a single GPU. BoS requires SLI. X-Plane 10 amazingly takes almost no hit at all from 4K, only losing about 5-10 fps and with one card.
It's beautiful but $$$

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4124894 - 05/26/15 03:49 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
DCS is a tricky one: I run it at 1080p (I think, DCS sets the resolution, so it might be rendered at a higher one as many games do in DK2 mode) but not with max settings (with a GTX 970), there are a number of things that need to be dialed down to medium settings. But you know what, I'll dial down some of these settings anytime to get be immersed in a full scale cockpit. It seems that DCS is not using timewarp, so you do need to stick as much as possible to 75fps, which is a strong constraint. With the new Oculus SDK and the DCS 2, I expect that we'll see timewarp and will be able to fly smoothly with the game rendering 40 fps. This will make it way easier to fly smoothly at high settings.
Everytime I fly the Huey with the DK2 I'm blown away, it's awesome, and it's also way easier to fly (no problem hovering and landing smoothly now). I've done some awesome dogfighting in the ww2 birds - I need to have their tags displayed so that I can spot them from afar, but again you have to experience the feeling of performing combat maneuvers in VR, it's awesome!

For prepar3d and FSX, the plugins I use render them in 2K or 4K, I would have to double check, but my settings are quite high and it looks absolutely amazing. Again, thanks to async timewarp that's possible with the game only rendering at 30-40 fps, which is definitely feasible with a good rig and using the most complex addon aircrafts and scenery like OrbX airports.

There certainly hope Sharpe, I think you'll soon find out that we're living an awesome time for flight sims, the sort of stuff I didn't think possible not so long ago to be honest

#4124912 - 05/26/15 06:37 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Carefree Offline
Carefree  Offline

SharpeXB

You ask over here about relative hardware issues but insist BoS is fine, you with your 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX Titan X 12GB SLI sig boast.

SharpeXB, but were you not with a casual gamer spec for a while and confirmed all they told us too?

I dont know what you need 2 x Titan X 12 GB cards for, for your casual gaming needs? But its got to be overkill graphic card wise for pretty much everything inc a 28" monitor of your spec too.

I'm a PC hardware enthusiast myself and wonder about the capacity of your Corsair 850 PSU to handle 2 x Titan x 12 GB card with power left over really is? I know wattage is no measure of quality output any-more and neither are Corsair ... overbranded cheap PSU's these days.

2 X Titan X 12 GB cards in SLI and on a stock 850 Corsair PSU? I suppose its possible on a mild overclock?

SharpeXB

I run a couple of what I consider Xtreme hardware rigs, this one I'm typing on is a homebuilt I7 E 5960X eight core that was on an Asus X99 Deluxe, originally wanted the Rampage V on day one but gave up waiting for the boards to arrive and settled on the Asus X99 Deluxe ... and its been nothing but trouble, BIOS updates came fast and furious for those boards and I tried each one with no success ... IE, poor USB stability, unreliable boot ups, up to 20 restarts needed per session to get into Windows ... I was starting to think this was all inherent with the X99 boards.

My and others problems are well documented on the enthusiast boards on the net BTW.

The hardware enthusiast forums suggest otherwise than Asus stability though and I took the plunge and bought my first MSI board two weeks ago, a X99A XPOWER AC and now its all built and it works right off the bat on latest BIOS with no worrys, this on three SSD's and three mechanical HD's too with a GTX980 SC edition as well, the 5960X at 4GHz as a a minimum overclock, 4 channel Corsair DDR4, Corsir h110 cooler and other stuff ... oh and the PSU is a Superflower Leadex 1000 W 80 Plus Platinum PSU powering a Dell 3011 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD, not quite 4K but all is fine.

I'm actually thinking of buying a GTX Titan X 12 GB soon as an enthusiast thing, but for that BoS game it is a waste for sure and so was my money but I digress smile

Definitely think you are only *just* within the comfort zone with a Corsair (not the greatest brand of PSU anymore) 850 W PSU for SLI Titan X's.

#4124913 - 05/26/15 06:46 AM Re: Oculus Rift CV1 System requirements [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Carefree Offline
Carefree  Offline

BTW Guys, definitely wanting something like OR for VR, know the consumer edition is out early next year but could buy now if its as near as can be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.