Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4116908 - 05/06/15 02:37 PM Do I need a tablet ?  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Thinking of getting a tablet but never had one, not even a smart phone, and not sure what all I can do with it. I would hope I could use it with my pc with apps for FSX or other sims/games. Also not sure what would be the best all around tablet with the most app coverage. What do you use yours for with pc and other things?

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4116912 - 05/06/15 02:44 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've been playing with my mom's Android tablet and I couldn't find a file manager or even a command prompt! Maybe I need these as apps or something?

The Web experience seems ok I guess, which is more than I can say for some websites now on desktop (e.g. CNN).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4116914 - 05/06/15 02:50 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
PC pilot has regular articles on how to use a tablet for flight simming. Never got into it myself, I think it breaks immersion.

#4116916 - 05/06/15 02:51 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Mark G, look for the "Play Store" icon. That's for the Google Play (app) store. Lots of free stuff on there to download and install.

I use File Manager (Explorer) by Cheetah Mobile, but there are plenty of other choices available.

#4116917 - 05/06/15 02:52 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Mark, ES File Explorer is pretty good and freeware!

I use my tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 edition) mostly for browsing the 'net, reading magazines and comics, some relatively simple games, watching movies on Youtube (or downloaded from Youtube if I travel), talking on Skype with family and friends. It's easier than using a computer / laptop for these things - but as far as I'm concerned, the tablet is complementary to a real computer, not a replacement. Could I live without it? Yes, definitely. But since I have it anyway, I enjoy it very much.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4116926 - 05/06/15 03:05 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Warbirds
What do you use yours for with pc and other things?

I used to use my Kindle Fire to browse the net but that got supplanted by my iPhone. I never did anything on my Kindle except to browse the net.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/06/15 03:25 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4116933 - 05/06/15 03:12 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Since I got my iPad I never use my laptop and seldom my desktop. The desktop is solely for gaming now.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4116937 - 05/06/15 03:19 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I have been an iPad user since they first came out. I wouldn't be without it. I use it for all the usual stuff, but also some flight planning. I am soon going to venture into the UAS/Drone hobby and my iPad will be the display screen for the FPV function. I also have several magazine subscriptions that I read on the iPad such as PC Pilot, Air & Space and Rotor-Drone.

I don't know much about the Android tablets. I started out with the iPad because I already had an iPhone and you can run iPhone apps on the iPad.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4116945 - 05/06/15 03:24 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: oldgrognard]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
The desktop is solely for gaming now.
My desktop is also used only for gaming but I use it a LOT. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4116949 - 05/06/15 03:29 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Paul Rix]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas. At first I didn't use it for much. Now however I use it daily. Primarily for two things. Firstly all my email - I get it all as it comes in at work, really easy. Secondly for reading: it has a beautiful colour screen that can be as bright or dull as you wish. I have three free e-readers installed: Kindle, Kobo and Aldiko. I also use it for work with a mehanical keyboard and mouse, using the free Microsoft Office apps. Works excellently. All files are automatically saved to the cloud - Dropbox and Onedrive. I have to say Android just works. I use a file manager with Windows on desktops and laptops all the time, but have not missed one with my tablet. Having said that I am now downloading the two mentioned above!

A tablet grows on you with time. Finally I also use it as a Satnav - works well.

RedToo.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4116955 - 05/06/15 03:43 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks for the file manager tips, guys.

I'm at a crossroad myself. I was hoping Windows 10 would break run-time compatibility with 32-bit, including the many Y2K-era tools I use. This would help force away from MS (including Windows-only targeting), except for some legacy AutoCAD programming I still support (irrelevant to anything new).

But the switch to Mint or openSUSE for desktop is just too much if I don't HAVE to, I've used MS OS's/dev tools for so long now. Also with tablets, will an Android tablet give me anything my Windows laptop cannot, besides better portability? I would think it's MUCH better, I just don't know if I need that convenience.

I have a backup plan, I just need to be forced to abandon MS to embrace something new. But as long as MS keeps including legacy support in Windows (despite how this may bloat and/or hinder new tech), they keep me locked in.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4116959 - 05/06/15 03:50 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Was just talking with my nephew this afternoon, he is a C130 pilot in the Airforce here and they use iPads all the time esp. with Flight radar 24 as it gives them better rearward situational awareness than their forward looking radar can.

He was saying that all his fellow pilots use iPads when flying.

We didn't get in to it too deep as we were at his grandmother's funeral, I don't get to see him too often, but next time I will explore what apps he is using smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4117016 - 05/06/15 05:24 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Domestos Offline
Domestos  Offline

Bingham UK
I like watching youtoob on my smart tv controlled by my tablet. Means i don't have to use the remote control to do the text input in searches.
Also handy for reading books at work and still look as though you're busy (from a distance)

#4117087 - 05/06/15 07:42 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If you don't buy Kindle books or use Amazon streaming or instant video, the Kindle Fire is not the tablet to get. It's designed to be used with Amazon's stuff, with the ability to do a little more on the side.

Anyway, with the advent of screens of 5"+ on smart phones, tablet sales are massively dwindling. They're too big for pockets, and generally speaking it's better to have a laptop for things the smartphone is too small for. Besides, most tablets don't have cellular connections due to cost, unlike the phones, making them less versatile.
There's also the lack of innovation in that sector making a 4 year old tablet still perfectly serviceable while people keep upgrading their phones every 2 years or so.

In short, it's better to get a large smartphone (no smaller than iPhone 6) than to start on a tablet now.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4117091 - 05/06/15 07:45 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
If you don't buy Kindle books or use Amazon streaming or instant video, the Kindle Fire is not the tablet to get.

The Jedi Master
Only reason I have it is because it was an unexpected gift. Having said that, I can browse the net with it and that's all I need.

#4117095 - 05/06/15 07:49 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I bought a 7" Android tablet without having a real need for one.I just wanted one.Over time it became more useful to me.I use it when I'm gaming on my main PC for guides etc so I don't have to alt-tab out and I did use it in BF4 as a separate map device but I kept using the one on the main screen (force of habit) so stopped using it for that.

It's great for watching movies/YouTube in bed or casual gaming and music in bed.If I did buy another I would have a 10" as my eyesight struggles with the smaller 7" screen a bit.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4117122 - 05/06/15 08:24 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I've loved my Nexus 7, I guess for about 2 years now, if not 3. I use it constantly. Browsing, email, the Kindle app, youtube, VUDU/Flixster movies...very useful, except for typing more than a few words.
It's slowed down so much now that it's barely useable at times. No idea why. Seems that it doesn't recover well from sleep mode, but even after a system reboot in the system root, it often doesn't run right. I've re-installed etc. I'd still recommend it, tablets aren't meant to last forever.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4117127 - 05/06/15 08:41 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I love my Nexus 7 too. Great for reading and You tube while lounging in bed. I can't see getting a smart phone bigger than my S4. 5 inch or plus screen is just too big to carry around.

#4117140 - 05/06/15 09:26 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

thanks for the replies, I can see that having one to browse the net would take some time off my pc and save some power as well. I think what got me interested was GTA5 and Ifruit but I know it would also be used for FSX and maybe moving map or flight planing.

What is the biggest screen (old tired eyes) and best for the buck but still open to the most apps?

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4117182 - 05/06/15 11:18 PM Re: Do I need a tablet ? [Re: Warbirds]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Google Play is catching up to iTunes for apps, but it's still not there yet.
Might look into a 10". The 7" is really convenient and easy to carry, even pocket sized, but can strain the eyes for text.
My wife has a 10" Windows tablet with detachable keyboard. I might get one of those. Forget the usual apps with Windows tablets though, there's VERY little for those.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.