Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4115387 - 05/03/15 09:07 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: kaa]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: kaa
Originally Posted By: Falstar
Starship Troopers

I believe, but I can be wrong, that this movie is not to be taken to the first degree...

now what about the war movies with Audy Murphy ? even with him playing his self, they managed to do everything rubbish...

Oh. I know... I was just trying to be cheaky, but upon further reflection it wasn't that bad for what it was. military satire.. which they lost the grasp of by st4, actually st2, but by st4 I couldn't even watch 8 minutes of it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4115393 - 05/03/15 09:36 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Pearl Harbor
Red Tails
Both of which COULD have been great, but the story and directing were terrible. The history and talent were there.
Act of Valor...unwatchable, but I respect the attempt.
Can't say Fury completely sucked, but it comes mighty close and definitely disappointed.

I enjoyed Flyboys and Red Baron.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4115410 - 05/03/15 10:01 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Can't say Fury completely sucked, but it comes mighty

I won't say it sucked either. My problem is there was not one character I liked. Each one had their own malfunction where I didn't like any of them. They did a good job at playing the #%&*$#, ect. Where even Hoyt gets his head blown off.

How can anyone say the Tiger scene isn't realistic. That's how every one of my wt battles with a tiger go.

#4115430 - 05/03/15 10:33 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
Thin Red Line. because of this movie I will NEVER watch another movie with Terrence Malick as the director nope

I actually enjoyed Flyboys and Red Tails, neither are good as say.. Memphis Belle, Flight of the Intruder, Battle of Britain or Dark Blue World but I enjoy them none the less.

#4115438 - 05/03/15 10:53 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WalterNowi Offline
WalterNowi  Offline

Arcadia, CA
Red Baron

#4115486 - 05/04/15 01:26 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Two more I'd like to add,

1. U-571 - The horror, the horror. This could have been good had the script not been written for 15 year olds.

2. The Patriot - See above.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4115518 - 05/04/15 03:04 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: GogKbob
Gods and Generals.
I'm interested to know in what areas do you think this film failed. I think G&G was very good across the board IMHO.

I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I thought it was slow moving and seemed to plod on without anything compelling.

I'm sorry to say when the lights came up I was ready to leave ASAP.

It's a Game. smile
#4115532 - 05/04/15 03:49 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Thin Red Line.

What a pretentious, boring steaming pile of crap.

And that is the most exciting thing about it.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4115542 - 05/04/15 05:56 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Thin Red Line is a great movie - this is a matter of fact, not one of opinion.

Please differentiate between movies that genuinely suck - Flyboys, U-571 plus many, many more - and ones that were not what you expected.

#4115599 - 05/04/15 10:40 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I actually liked The Thin Red Line biggrin

I watched A Bridge Too Far for the first time in many years a while back and was pretty much bored by it, much preferred reading the book to the movie.

Cross of Iron..after three failed attempts at watching it all the way through i finally gave up on it biggrin

Windtalkers.

edit- I won't worry about ever seeing Red Tails lol, the clips that came out were enough for me.

Last edited by Ajay; 05/04/15 10:42 AM.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4115601 - 05/04/15 10:43 AM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
What I love about "Cross of Iron" is the nihilistic view it has on humanity and its surrealism. It's an underrated film IMHO.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4115656 - 05/04/15 12:58 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: tagTaken2]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: tagTaken2
Thin Red Line is a great movie - this is a matter of fact, not one of opinion.

Uh...no.

That statement is 100% incorrect. A movie having a large budget is a matter of fact. A movie having an all-star cast is a matter of fact. A movie using actual locations and/or equipment is a matter of fact. A movie having actual veterans of the battle depicted as consultants is a matter of fact. A movie making a lot of money or failing at the box office is a matter of fact.

A movie being great is by definition a matter of opinion. A script being good or bad is a matter of opinion. A director being good or pretentious or lousy is a matter of opinion. A cast being perfect or wrong is a matter of opinion.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4115721 - 05/04/15 02:12 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I thought the Thin Red Line was awful.

#4115727 - 05/04/15 02:18 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Thin Red Line - as has been already mentioned here - suffered greatly from false expectations. That being said, even though I "get" the film, I still find it excruciatingly boring. Also IMO a little condescending towards the audience: as in "preachy" - which all too often comes with the "anti-war-movie" territory. Maybe that's inevitable concerning the topic.

Although I believe Kubrick managed to pull it off with Full Metal Jacket, which IMO is the least preachy movies within that genre.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05/04/15 02:21 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4115731 - 05/04/15 02:24 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
U-571
Pearl Harbour

Travesties both

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4115741 - 05/04/15 02:43 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

Although I believe Kubrick managed to pull it off with Full Metal Jacket, which IMO is the least preachy movies within that genre.

+1 That scene at the end with Private Joker and the decision he had to make summed it up quite well.

#4115824 - 05/04/15 04:24 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

All of my votes have been mentioned already, although I thought "Flyboys" was also better than it could have been in a couple of ways. I also liked "Cross of Iron" but that may be because I've only ever seen it when it first came out and it did a better job of covering the important aspects of the book than many adaptations do. It may not have held up well over time. I will say that I didn't particularly care for the interspersing of the children singing.

I'd like to make a few comments on other picks:

@komemiute & Raw Kryptonite
I liked Act of Valor. The actors weren't great actors, but that's because they weren't actors. I was on Combat Control and Tactical Air Control Teams (now called JTAC, I believe) from 1973-1980 and I thought it portrayed the reality of special forces as nearly as a movie can. I especially loved the interrogation of Crisco...sorry, Christo. You know that guy's done that before. There were cliches, but remember that many cliches become that because they're true and repeated so often.

@Raw Kryptonite & Falstar
I will say that Fury sucked. The other kind of cliche is the kind that happened in real life once or twice (the cowboy gunfight-only two that came anywhere close were Hicock/Tutt in Springfield, MO and the OK Corral, though the latter has only been faithfully portrayed on film once, in "Tombstone"...the famous air duel between Guynemer and Udet probably became the foundation for the whole "chivalry among WWI pilots" myth) if ever, but it sounds so good that it becomes standard in movies and books. Fury was that kind, beginning to end.

@PanzerMeyer
"U-571" had one monumentally great moment that salvaged the whole movie, IMO: Bill Paxton dies. I know, he died in "Tombstone" years earlier, but that was just icing on the cake of an already terrific move. With "U-571" it was like Steven Seagal biting the big one in "Executive Decision".

@Jedi Master
You hit the nail on the head (OMG, another cliche), sir. All of the above...including the drivel that I've just posted...are opinions and not facts. The really fun thing about these kinds of threads is seeing all of the different opinions and how one person will think X movie was the best thing ever put on film while someone else thinks it was the biggest atrocity foisted on the movie-watching public. That said, please don't take any of my opinions personally, anyone.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4115974 - 05/04/15 07:17 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I will say that people's clear understanding of the difference between fact and opinion has gotten more and more blurred in the 21st century, and it has led to a lot of unpleasantness.

Understanding what is an opinion is key. Understanding that just because your conclusion is based on facts does not make your conclusion a fact, or correct, is important as well.

Any informed opinion is valid (uninformed aka talking-out-your-ass is invalid because it's unsupported by anything), and we should all be tolerant of differing opinions, as hard as it can be at times. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4116033 - 05/04/15 08:30 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

2. The Patriot - See above.

When you start combining historical figures into a single character, you're heading in the wrong direction...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4116050 - 05/04/15 09:00 PM Re: War films that should have been good but sucked... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

That's true, Vertigo, BUT:

Many "based on a true story" films are just that...several peoples' experiences blended into one character. This is done for various reasons: It's easier for the audience to connect with one person than 20 people in 20 different units and keeping the cast smaller and more manageable being the top two.

That's what blew me away about "Band of Brothers". I thought that's what I was watching...a story that combined the experiences of 100 soldiers in the 101st (and maybe the 82nd and others, as well). Then, at the end of the last episode, when they showed the names of the veterans who had been giving their own remenisceces at the beginning of each episode, and you saw that they were the actual people you'd been watching being portrayed.....I can only repeat, it completely blew me away.

SALUTE TO ALL!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.