Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4113251 - 04/29/15 02:13 PM Help!!  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Is there any tutorial for this game at all?

I bought it, installed it, and started it up... then I'm dropped into my dingy Self Land hangar with my Mustang Alpha. Just walking to the ship made me sick as they decided shaking the camera was necessary to show you that you were walking. Great. Luckily, the ship was very nice so it was worth the walk. OOoooh! I can interact with some parts of the ship. Left-click... nope. Right-click? Nope. Space bar? Nah. Enter? Nope. An eternity later, I figured out it was the F key. Okay.

Anyway, I decide to go do some pew-pew and promptly got lost in the process. Okay, I got fixed weapons..... but they looked like they were on a turret of some sort so why are they not tracking my enemies?

I got a sinking feeling that KB/Mouse users have the upper hand on this game compared to one using a HOTAS.

Please help me get my bearings with this game or I might well be asking for a refund in a week. mycomputer

Luckily, I'm having a bit of fun with racing.

- Ice
#4113276 - 04/29/15 03:10 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Ice, there is a downloadable manual that gets updated with new version releases. I can't go there from work, so you'll either have to hunt around, or maybe someone else can post a pointer to it.

Right now, there are many folks who feel that KB & M users have a distinct advantage over HOTAS / Joystick users. Keep in mind the game is still very much in development, so we may see a fix for that that satisfies most folks. I believe there was a tweet/pic from one of the Foundry 42 (studio group in England) folks indicating that work on that subject was in progress.

There is a humongous thread in the Katamari section of the forums on the subject, with a number of suggestions on how to achieve a balance... time will tell what CIG comes up with as their solution (or not).

For now, I'd suggest hanging in there, but remaining mindful that it could be awhile before we see that solved. I haven't pledged for any more ships beyond the two that I did early on, but I'm still hopeful that they address the controller imbalance adequately.

#4113283 - 04/29/15 03:24 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

There will be a tutorial soon. It just went live on monday in the PTU (persistent test universe). I would explain how to get to the PTU so you can try the tutorial but really... you should just wait for it to hit the release client since you are already having issues. I'd say the tutorial will probably go live in about a week or two.

#4113284 - 04/29/15 03:26 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
If you want to try a bit of a risk you can try the PTU or Public Test Universe, it is a preview of the next public release to try and iron out some of the bigger bugs before it goes to everybody.

If you look at your account settings there should be a Public Test Universe in yellow and if you click on that you will get instructions in how to install it.

The big new thing in this is the Training Missions which are accessed from the Arena Commander menu, there they talk you through how to take off, fly out the hangar and fight with your ship.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4113292 - 04/29/15 03:43 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for that guys. It is a complex game and the UI for mapping controls is just awful so that does not help at all.

I cannot believe they have not balanced stuff for KB/M vs HOTAS users... I've tried a bit of KB/M controls and just being able to track with the guns makes it so much more easier. If they just upped the HUD tracking area for HOTAS users, that would be great.... but I guess I need to find and use gimballed weapons if this game has it.

- Ice
#4113299 - 04/29/15 03:58 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Well also gimbals drop the weapon size category by one. SO a since 3 laser turns into a size 2 gimballed laser. Also if you have trackir you can gimbal track with that. If you look at the play/kill stats HOTAS users are at the top. So it is balanced a bit.

Setting up the PTU is a pita though. Honestly I'd wait for the tutorial to hit release client instead of trying to mess with the PTU.

You have to go into your account and activate the PTU at which point they will email you instructions on how to access it. It gives you a new PW that you cant change and that changes for every PTU release.

#4113309 - 04/29/15 04:14 PM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'll wait for the tutorial to be released. YT vids don't really do much help.

Does anyone have a TM HOTAS controller config that they can share for the meantime?

I'm doing races now and I'm running that first track that is like a fancy figure 8. After the 2nd checkpoint is a hard right that I cannot figure out how to take. If I follow the yellow/orange markers, sometimes I can make it through alright, sometimes I am blown downwards (towards the planet surface), sometimes I am blown outwards and hit the buildings on the side of the track. I'm not really sure what's happening here... is it windy? But it seems like that's the only part of the track that is affected by it...

- Ice
#4113518 - 04/30/15 12:16 AM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I'll wait for the tutorial to be released. YT vids don't really do much help.

Does anyone have a TM HOTAS controller config that they can share for the meantime?

I'm doing races now and I'm running that first track that is like a fancy figure 8. After the 2nd checkpoint is a hard right that I cannot figure out how to take. If I follow the yellow/orange markers, sometimes I can make it through alright, sometimes I am blown downwards (towards the planet surface), sometimes I am blown outwards and hit the buildings on the side of the track. I'm not really sure what's happening here... is it windy? But it seems like that's the only part of the track that is affected by it...

CIG forum thread TM HOTAS config:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.co...s-setup-poll/p1

I wouldn't recommend fooling with the PTU until you have things working to your satisfaction for the current released version. That's enough of a learning curve to climb before you get into the PTU stuff.

#4113525 - 04/30/15 12:26 AM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Pilot's guide:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/1c1bbpmb3uat3r/source/AC-Manual-1-1a-V11.pdf

Check for new Pilot's Guide versions after new updates to SC / AC are released.

And FAQs:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq

#4113526 - 04/30/15 12:26 AM Re: Help!! [Re: - Ice]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Wow that tutorial looks pretty cool, very immersive.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.