Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4110507 - 04/23/15 10:30 AM OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Old Man Winter came back for another visit. I had hoped that old coot was vacationing south of the equator, but I guess he really enjoys his stays in my neck of the woods.

#4110509 - 04/23/15 10:35 AM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, this winter was long and took quite it's toll from my good moods.
So I am very glad here, that winter seems to have surrendered here in Berlin.
It is still rather cool often, but the sun shines won'fully.
Hold out, MudWasp - it will soon surrender in your woods too!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4110615 - 04/23/15 02:02 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

You two come to Mississippi. Its 85 deg. F. and Spring Time at the Ranch.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4110650 - 04/23/15 03:01 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
MFair, where in Mississippi do you live? My father was from Brookhaven. I've always had a special place in my heart for Mississippi.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4110665 - 04/23/15 03:24 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: Banjoman]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
MFair, where in Mississippi do you live? My father was from Brookhaven. I've always had a special place in my heart for Mississippi.

Banjoman, I hang my hat in Hattiesburg or just outside of actually. I have kin in Brookhaven. Small world. It is a wonderful place, even if the summers are hot. As Mathew Broderick says in "Biloxi Blues", "This is HOT, This is Africa HOT!"

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4110693 - 04/23/15 03:50 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I know about that heat, I grew up in Orange, Texas right on the Louisiana border and the Gulf coast. I've been to Hattiesburg twice and I really like that town. There was a place that had the best fried catfish I've ever had, but I don't know if they are still in business. If I ever move to Mississippi, it would be Hattiesburg.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4110694 - 04/23/15 03:53 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MudWasp
Old Man Winter came back for another visit. I had hoped that old coot was vacationing south of the equator, but I guess he really enjoys his stays in my neck of the woods.

Same here MudWasp and still getting it today but only lightly!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4110700 - 04/23/15 04:07 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
MFair, That is an early or mid June pic for this area at best.

#4110929 - 04/24/15 01:25 AM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Well, I'm under the same system as MudWasp & Robert_Wiggins, but it isn't so bad 'way down here in Pittsburgh. We're supposed to go to 29°F tonight (-2°C give or take), but no snow. The winds have been something else - another tree is down up on the hill. But the crocuses are gone, the hyacinths and dafodils are going, and the tulips are out, so we're a little ahead of MW and RW.

MudWasp, I was nearly in your territory earlier this week, on a trip to Watertown, NY to inspect a broken hydro generator. The Black River in that area is beautiful. And they have plenty of water; the rapids in some places would have been fatal to most, they were that fierce. Such steep sides on that gorge, I don't know if you or anyone here has been in that area, but I found it interesting.

Well, if nothing else, perhaps give thanks that your lawn mowing is delayed a little longer. We'd had a warm spell before this & I had to hurry up and mow before I left to go to Watertown!

Now MFair, that's right pretty, but 85° in April! Yow! I need it a little cooler than that. My sister moved to Central Florida a long time ago. Then about 13 years ago, my wife & I finally got our honeymoon - 27 yrs. late! We went to Grand Cayman, & when I came back from there, I told my sister it was too hot & humid where she lived - she didn't move far enough south! Grand Cayman was paradise-perfect.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4110952 - 04/24/15 04:04 AM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Light snow - flurries really - this morning, 25-30 degrees tonight. Grrr...

#4111149 - 04/24/15 01:55 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

HumanDrone,It is supposed to be in the 90's Sunday! If my living was not here I would prefer Colorado or Montana but as my old college professor said, "Every thing is a compromise, nothing is the ultimate," which is true. We went from winter to summer here in about 2 weeks. No spring. Yes, the summers are brutal with the humidity. In July and August I can walk out my door at 6:30 in the morning and before I can make the 10 second walk to my truck the perspiration is forming on my forehead! Didn't mind it at all in my younger days but now is a different story.

#4111151 - 04/24/15 01:58 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: HumanDrone]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone

MudWasp, I was nearly in your territory earlier this week, on a trip to Watertown, NY to inspect a broken hydro generator. The Black River in that area is beautiful. And they have plenty of water; the rapids in some places would have been fatal to most, they were that fierce. Such steep sides on that gorge, I don't know if you or anyone here has been in that area, but I found it interesting.

I've gone hunting and fishing around the Black River area, much like you describe and beautiful too. I bet you passed through my area to get there, I'm in the south west corner of NY, takes about 30 minutes to get to Erie PA to watch the ponies at Presque Isle Downs or vist Presque Isle State Park on the lake and see a pretty sunset.

#4111154 - 04/24/15 02:02 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
90's already MFair!

#4111482 - 04/25/15 01:26 AM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: MudWasp

I've gone hunting and fishing around the Black River area, much like you describe and beautiful too. I bet you passed through my area to get there, I'm in the south west corner of NY, takes about 30 minutes to get to Erie PA to watch the ponies at Presque Isle Downs or vist Presque Isle State Park on the lake and see a pretty sunset.

Oh, okay, for some reason I had you in the Adirondacks. Bad recollection of Olham's pilot maps, I guess. Anyway, I didn't pass through your area - I was fortunate (depending on your point of view) to be able to fly that one, Pitt to Philly then up to Watertown on a puddlejumper. Watertown has two flights a day, the same little Dash 8 just plods between Philly & Watertown twice!

Anyway, ages ago, I had a cousin in Jamestown. And if you really head south on 79, just past Grove City, I have a cousin & her husband that own a microbrewery/restaurant in Slippery Rock, PA. Sounds like its about half way between us. Were you in the path of that 7 feet of snow that dumped south of Buffalo last year?

Criminee, we've biked the trail at Presque Isle, even occasionally braved the waters there. We didn't get up there last year, but last year we didn't get anywhere. About all I did was cut trees, split wood, and mow grass.

So we have you a half an hour from Erie; me two hours from Erie, and CatKnight in Cleveland. I don't know how the Wing Commanders feel about it, but it sounds like a recipe for a mini-meet.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#4111484 - 04/25/15 01:34 AM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MFair]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: MFair
HumanDrone,It is supposed to be in the 90's Sunday! If my living was not here I would prefer Colorado or Montana but as my old college professor said, "Every thing is a compromise, nothing is the ultimate," which is true. We went from winter to summer here in about 2 weeks. No spring. Yes, the summers are brutal with the humidity. In July and August I can walk out my door at 6:30 in the morning and before I can make the 10 second walk to my truck the perspiration is forming on my forehead! Didn't mind it at all in my younger days but now is a different story.

Very true on the compromise thing. Colorado is certainly beautiful - I saw my first big cat in the wild up here near Steamboat Springs a couple of years ago. I was on business again, and after dark I drove up into the mountains to loom at the stars, they are just so beautiful at the higher elevations away from the city lights and dust and all that. I saw the cat slinking off to the side of the road on my way back into town - at first I thought it was a Golden Retriever or Yellow Lab, but the slinking motion and tail were unmistakable.

Now I won't say that I dislike Mississippi - I have some great war stories from a coal plant down near the Gulf in Pascagoula - but that heat and humidity, yow!

It looks like you have a nice place there. I have 5.75 acres here, but it's all hill.

#4111584 - 04/25/15 12:16 PM Re: OT Snow on the daffodils and crocus [Re: MudWasp]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
HumanDrone, That 7' missed my shack by a good 1/2 drive's distance. It's unpredictable and often random with those lake effect bands, just depends on how the winds set up. Hehe I grew up living in Jamestown, had a few high school classmates head to Slippery Rock for college.

Yeah, a meet up sounds like fun. Should I pack a chainsaw? Or have you tamed your homefront?

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War