Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4110021 - 04/22/15 12:02 PM Few Questions....  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
Bought this game in December or early January, But never really got into it because I didnt feel like setting up my HOTAS. Well last week I decided to set my HOTAS up and I am now loving this game.

However I have a few questions.

First, Do community events require you to be in Open Play or can you so them from Solo?

Second, Can you swap modules with out losing them?? For example lets say I have a Cobra outfitted for mining and I decide I want to go pirating. Can I swap, lets say My Mining Lasers for guns and then swap them back later without having to rebuy them?

Third, Right now my plan is to be a Bounty Hunter/Miner/Pirate, I am currently in my default sidewinder, My goal is to get a Viper and then a Cobra or two. I am currently sitting at 94,000 credits and figure to outfit the Viper as I want for Bounty Hunting I would need about 600k credits. Currently I am doing missions and running cargo trades to make money. Is there anything else I can do in the Sidewinder to make money quicker or would it benefit me to say buy an adder and outfit it for mining or should I just keep grinding in the sidewinder until I can afford the viper I want? I play solo, However I don't take any fighting missions in my sidewinder. Maybe I should? Not sure how she would hold up.

Fourth, I'm currently in Federation space, Kini to be exact, I want to get to empire space because, well its the Empire, Its 71 jumps to get to the nearest Empire controlled system in the sidewinder. Whats the best way to do this or should I just wait and by a bigger ship?

Im really loving this game. Its so beautiful and big and awesome!

Thanks guys.

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#4110058 - 04/22/15 12:32 PM Re: Few Questions.... [Re: Weaponz248]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
1 - No, Goals can be done in Solo, Group or Open

2 - Yes, so long as you don't leave the station you can swap modules back and forth. If you do leave remember you can sell modules for 100% of purchase price so you're never actually losing money on them.

3 - Try bounty hunting at Resource Extraction sights or Nav beacons, just don't go after the big ships. Should be more profitable than delivery boy missions.
A short (less than 500 light years) exploration trip in an Adder, scanning anything of interest should bring in several hundred thousand Cr too.
Buying a Hauler/Adder with A rated Frame shift drive and filling up with rare goods then shipping them ~150 ly can easily bring in 200,000+ Cr per trip.

4 - Bigger ship with longer jump range is advised, otherwise it'll be a long slog. First time took me several days stopping off every few jumps for some missions or shooting.

Last edited by Security_Device_Enclosed; 04/22/15 12:36 PM.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4110223 - 04/22/15 05:26 PM Re: Few Questions.... [Re: Weaponz248]  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
Thanks!

Good to know about the goals. I figured that might be the case since the economy is all online anyway.

The modules thing is weird but cool. Kinda wish you had a hangar or something to store stuff in. But since you dont lose any money its kinda like storing it i guess.

I do mostly the black box/rebel transmission missions which have been netting me 13,000 to 18,000. Might throw some guns and a better shield on the Sidewinder and hit some RES or Nav points and see if I can't get another "free sidewinder" lol

Might buy a exploring ship first and then make the jump to empire space and then get going on the other ships. The adder could work 2 fold for me. I could use it to explore and mine. Actually I could honestly do everything I am currently doing in the sidewinder in the adder.

One other question, How does insurance work?

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#4110266 - 04/22/15 06:49 PM Re: Few Questions.... [Re: Weaponz248]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
For insurance:

If you are destroyed in game, you will get a screen that allows you to rebuy the current ship you were just in (for the insurance amount). It will be outfitted the same, but you will lose cargo.

You can see what your current insurance amount is by checking the right panel, it is a sub screen on the first screen.

Make sure you always have at least as much credits on you to cover the insurance cost, especially after you have started buying ships.

I went from a Sidewinder to the Cobra. It has been fun for Bounty Hunting and running rares. I did two rare runs, each one getting me close to 500K. That is with setting up the Cobra with 32 cargo space and a good FSD and Fuel scoop.

#4110330 - 04/22/15 08:08 PM Re: Few Questions.... [Re: Weaponz248]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
If you think the Sidey is cool, the other ships will blow you away!

Modules - you can buy modules and fit/re-fit as you please, and you do not lose money when you re-sell your modules. If you re-sell your ship, you lose about 10% of it's value, but if you buy a 1,000,000 Cr. module, use it for a few days, then swap it for another module, that first module will still be valued at 1,000,000 Cr.

However, you cannot "store" modules. For instance, you bought Module A at Station X, then went to a different system. You then docked at Station Y and decided to swap Module A for Module B. You can do this and swap back to Module A again provided you do not leave the station. If you do, you cannot buy Module A again unless Station Y has it in stock. If Station Y does not store Module A, you will have to go back to Station X to buy Module A. "Yeah, but I just sold them my Module A 20 minutes ago!" Yep, but you flew out of the station.... they do not keep stock of modules sold to them, only what they have by default. I hope that makes sense.

ps. what's your Commander name? I've got a few cans you might want to pick up. biggrin

- Ice

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.