Hop To
#4099716 - 03/31/15 05:02 PM Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4101657 - 04/04/15 05:19 PM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Everybody's got an opinion and they're entitled to it. That being said, something like this has been written before (and will be again) so it's difficult to judge if they're sincere or just trying to capitalize on the CS community and get some ad hits on ads sponsoring their article.

I'm hoping that CR will produce the game and Chris Baker will post an update to his article with an image of him flying his M50 while reciting a sincere apology.

While I don't subscribe to it, there's a chance that the SC world would come crashing down, hundreds of people will lose their jobs, pixels from digital ships will be dumped into the harbor and villagers with torches and pitchforks will converge on southern California. No pressure, Chris smile

While I don't have all my ships flyable yet, I do like what I see so far and I do enjoy flying my M50 through the race rings.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4103406 - 04/08/15 09:48 PM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Good article, I hadn't heard the new part about them selling 200 virtual ships for $2500 each in less than a minute = $500k...

I am a backer so I still hope SC gets finished, but as long as Roberts continues to sell more and more virtual ships for prices like that, these articles will continue to be written... I just wish they'd spend less time on marketing and making new ships to sell and more time on finishing the game...

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4103458 - 04/09/15 12:14 AM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
They have a few more ships in the queue from the earlier pledge milestones, but dev time on these is limited unless they're needed for SQ42, at this point. They have continued to optimize the ship pipeline, so they report that has sped up the time it takes from concept to space. Most things fall in behind priority of Squadron 42, so the game is the priority for the main teams Illfonic (FPS), Austin (Persistent Universe), UK (SQ42). They're about to introduce the new team in Germany who I believe are focused on Cryengine game core...I believe they were mentioned as former Cryengine engineers or developers. At this point, we're expecting some significant releases this year.

------------
#4103478 - 04/09/15 01:28 AM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
This was nice to hear:
Quote:
We have four studios!” It's true—there are additional studios in Texas and the UK, and a new one is opening in Germany. All told, some 320 people are laboring on Star Citizen.

But that $22k backer guy...
Quote:

“Some people think, ‘I put a hundred bucks into this game and you owe me this and this and this,’” he says. “No. Your $100 entitles you to just as much as my 22 grand does, which is zero. You gave them money to make this game. You're not buying anything; it's a donation.”

If you think people would put that money into the game as just a donation, then take back all the ships and crap and put up a simple "donation" button and see how far the thing gets funded.
These people expect something in return. That guy sends money when there's something to be gained in the game, an edge and jumpstart over other players. He isn't simply sending money out of the goodness of his heart.

I hope it comes out as promised, and without taking years to do it like some other dreamy sounding projects have, but the high dollar crap is absurd. This new idea of "pay to win" months or years before a game even comes out is ridiculous and capitalizes on people's competitive nature rather than appealing to their generosity.
They've got my $65, or whatever it was, but no more until there's a real game to play. And I DO expect something, the game, as promised in return for that advance.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4103498 - 04/09/15 03:38 AM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I too wish they could be a bit less of a marketing machine at that stage - I've followed the very initial reveal and backed SC right when it was announced, but since they've started the long train of releasing new ships and their assorted faux car ads videos I've stopped following what was going on because I found it awfully uninteresting (as well as frankly worrying). I'll press the "play" button when I get to see some significant videos about Squadron 42 or the persistent universe. Also, new ships are nice, but my good old Constellation was part of the very first ships created and is still not flyable. At these stage I'd rather see one working multi crew in Arena Commander than promises of all of these and bigger and bigger ships with crew in the dozens sold for thousands of bucks...

I started really enthusiastic about this project (with low expectations to be honest - a new Wing Commander was enough already) but if I would be given the choice to back this project today with what I've seen... I'm not entirely sure I would do it...

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 04/09/15 03:40 AM.
#4103501 - 04/09/15 03:41 AM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

If you think people would put that money into the game as just a donation, then take back all the ships and crap and put up a simple "donation" button and see how far the thing gets funded.
These people expect something in return. That guy sends money when there's something to be gained in the game, an edge and jumpstart over other players. He isn't simply sending money out of the goodness of his heart.

I hope it comes out as promised, and without taking years to do it like some other dreamy sounding projects have, but the high dollar crap is absurd. This new idea of "pay to win" months or years before a game even comes out is ridiculous and capitalizes on people's competitive nature rather than appealing to their generosity.
They've got my $65, or whatever it was, but no more until there's a real game to play. And I DO expect something, the game, as promised in return for that advance.

Agree 110% with your viewpoint. I am supporting the development in hopes of something never seen before. I just wish they would release some completeness of any one of the three modules, much akin to DCS or Arma 3. Give us a complete baseline engine to play with, more so then just the multiplayer, single moon environment or racing. They both get old quickly. Admittedly, I have invested a bit more, not to pay to win, but to capitalize on the LTI and supporting the development team as much as possible. I have pretty much capped out buying anything else until I see more substance in the game.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4104559 - 04/11/15 02:14 AM Re: Wired Article on SC and Chris Roberts [Re: NavyNuke99]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Agreed... I wouldn't have pledged the current amount I've contributed "out of the goodness of my heart"... I do like shiny things though.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson...

Oh, yeah. Pirate Skins, M50's, 890 Jumps, Reclaimers, GamesCom, SXSW. It's wonderful, Raw Kryptonite. I've never felt so accepted in all my life. These people looked deep within my soul and assigned me a number based on the order in which I joined.

------------

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.