Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4093746 - 03/18/15 11:08 PM Am I Getting Old or Something?  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Just got my newest issue of GameInformer in the mail and I can't help but shake the feeling that if I were about 20 years younger, I'd be excited. I'm reading through it, and I can't help but think, "this is all they have?"

About the most interesting thing I saw was the remake of the Mad Max movies in a game format. Not very ingenious or even imaginative, considering the movies were pretty brutal and nihilistic all on their own, better than 20 years ago. I was really disappointed in what I saw. There were some cute indie games coming out, but that's what they are. Cute.

I know the golden days of sims are gone*, but good heavens, haven't we done the zombie thing to death already? Even The CW (Where Television Goes to Die) has a new zombie show. Star Citizen looks cool, but I think it's an MMO. When I want to play a game with another person, my son and I play chess.

They had a review of the new Thrustmaster wheel, the only wheel that the PS4 will support. I just bought a G27, so my interest in upgrading to a PS4 just died. I don't feel like rebuying my library anyway. I used to really like games. Now, I'm actually considering replacing my PS3 (if it ever dies) with a second Wii U.

I suppose this had to happen eventually.

* - at least there's still motorsports!

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4093750 - 03/18/15 11:17 PM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Well it is kind of right when you say this is all they have.

You played one FPS, you pretty much played them all!

Seems like 2/3 of the games they make are FPS!

#4093771 - 03/19/15 12:48 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Your not getting old just stating the facts
Lets face the facts about milsims there not capable of generating the profits that games
Like FPS or zombies games generate. There's only a handful of dedicated developers left that even try
The games market has gone like the movie market endless sequels I bet my grandkids will be playing COD episode 100.
There are innovators still out there but IMO, The men in grey suites have all but taken over

#4093779 - 03/19/15 01:17 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
FrenchToast Offline
FrenchToast  Offline

QuebecLand
You are still getting a paper magazine about computer games thru the mail ?

Yes, you ARE old...

neaner

FT

#4093796 - 03/19/15 02:18 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It is what it is, I used to find games and technology interesting when I was in grade school, but now I'm also very often in the "this is it?" camp. Many games still catch my fancy but very rarely am I sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for an agonizing release date.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4093798 - 03/19/15 02:21 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
I concur with FrenchToast,lol.

#4093804 - 03/19/15 02:30 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

It's like almost every game now on Apple APP or Facebook is one of those shoot the bubble or stack and lines of crystals and candies you have to remove or add to it or look for the 8-12 hidden items in a picture and use your mouse to find them before times run out or some build a city or adventure and you need golds and a ton of friends to help you with materials and gifts every day day after day to progress to the next level.

TOO much work, all of them, if you ask me!

#4093805 - 03/19/15 02:41 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
I`ll dig in here. I am getting there, 53. And watching these stupid App commercials like
Boom Beach and the Lady leading the charge. This is all way beyond anything I would even
think of getting to play. And so far this year. Only game and sim I use is "Star Citizen"
and "X-Plane 10"

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4093808 - 03/19/15 02:50 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

The only game I play on my iPhone is Words With Friends.

I haven't purchased a PC game in years.

I am still playing EECH made in 2000 and I still have and old XBox with old games and old Playstation 1 with even older games and I can't remember the last time I played anything on them.

#4093813 - 03/19/15 03:18 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I feel the same way sometimes. I'm just getting more picky I think especially since so many games more and more are becoming rehashes of rehashes. The older I get the more story and dramatics I want from a game. I'm happy when a game like Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us or Dishonored come out. yes they are first and third person shooters more or less but they managed to be unique, full of detail and staying power.

I still play and always go back to games like Hidden and Dangerous 2, Titan Quest, FS2004 and others on pc and old xbox games too.

I think companies like Ubisoft and EA need to be careful. There are smaller studious coming out with far superior games.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4093814 - 03/19/15 03:21 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I suppose still getting game magazines through snail mail does sort of indicate my age.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4093815 - 03/19/15 03:29 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I'm actually reasonably excited about that Mad Max game. It might be alright. As I understand it, it's being developed by one of Avalanche's sub studios. Avalanche are the guys who made Just Cause and Just Cause 2. If I would trust the Mad Max license with anyone, it would be them.

But... you are getting old. Obviously, but also I find that I used to get psyched about particular video games years ahead of their release. These days, I can only work up any excitement for something that's going to be released in the next few weeks. That's gotta be age. There's just too much life going on to spend it contemplating something that will provide me with a few weekends of fun in 2018.

There's something real to it as well, though. Insofar as technological advancement goes, game tech progress has become entirely linear and iterative. I kind of blame 3D accelerators. When it was all software, some game might come along that was truly technologically revolutionary (like Wolf3D or Doom) and just blow your mind right the hell out of your skull. Then with hardware 3D, though it was amazing at first, it was just Moore's law as applied to texture mapped triangles for ten years. Now there's the potential for innovation again, but it requires so much software engineering effort, it all has to go into middleware like the Unreal Engine et al. There are exceptions, but in general it's pretty boring from that perspective. We're long past the point where one genius kid from a Dallas suburb or Cambridge can come up with something revolutionary on his bedroom computer. That should be a good thing because it separates game design and game programming, letting people specialize more, but somehow it doesn't really work that way. Probably because the amounts of money involved are so large the designers, like the dozens and dozens of software engineers, are just cogs answering to a manager answering to a committee answering to a shareholder.

I'm just getting old and cranky is what it is, really. The more youthful elements of my personality are keeping an eye on these VR headsets though. wink

#4093818 - 03/19/15 03:43 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I'd like for the new Battlefront to hurry up and get here, but it better have more than just multiplayer online for $60 or more.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4093829 - 03/19/15 05:02 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Well, I certainly don't get excited about much new coming out these days either. Part of that I'm sure is getting older, but the thing that does it for me is seems like there is a lot of stuff now is far too focused on looking super pretty and well the actual game? "Yeah sorry blew our budget on graphics, so what if it 5 hours long, it looks great though right?"

They're like digital fireworks (or a Michael Bay movie), lots of stuff to make you go, oooh and aaaah but very little if any substance to them.

There has been some pretty good indie stuff the last few years, but due to it's nature, I don't get real excited about any of those until they are out. Heck I try not to even get excited about anything coming to DCS until it's actually up for pre-sale. At least then I am 99% sure it will be out.

Who knows, maybe one day the big boys out there will be good with a certain level of graphics and start focusing more on making stuff fun again.

#4093865 - 03/19/15 10:38 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
I'm really looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, scheduled for release next week. A classic fantasy RPG I backed on Kickstartert, a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. I've waited more than a decade for this. Let's hope it's gonna be good. Naa...let's hope it's gonna be great!

charge

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4093868 - 03/19/15 11:11 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: PFunk
I suppose still getting game magazines through snail mail does sort of indicate my age.

I cancelled my PC Gamer subscription back around 2002 or so and ever since I've used the internet exclusively for my PC gaming news and reviews. I did have a National Geographic subscription up until 5 years ago or so but dropped it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4093871 - 03/19/15 11:13 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Coot

I think companies like Ubisoft and EA need to be careful. There are smaller studious coming out with far superior games.
Unless those games from the smaller studios start outselling the games from Ubisoft and EA it doesn't matter from a business perspective.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4093873 - 03/19/15 11:30 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Gunslinger5577 Offline
Gunslinger5577  Offline

USA
Indeed we are getting old.. I was in a bit of a drought the past few years, really trying to latch onto something...forcing my enjoyment even (is that even possible). Work, Family = No time, plus the depressing lineup of COD remakes and other crap..just wasn't getting the gaming juices flowing. However, 2014 was a turn for me. I don't agree that the golden age of simming is over... It may have been for a time, and it certainly isn't as mainstream as before...but.. DCS, ROF, BOS... Arma3... And more recently I am really getting into Elite...yes it is a scifi space sim..but the detail and ships are great!

Yes the majority of games for the masses are crap. But there is gold to be found..sim wise and otherwise. I'm really looking to get into Paradox's City Skylines when I have time.. Supposed to be everything sim city 4 wasn't!

Also, my guilty pleasure lately is playing Destiny on Xbone with friends. I really disliked the single player and story and swore it off. Friends drew me into co-op strike modes and its a blast...

CPU: 3.8 ghz 3930K, Nvidia 980 TI, 3D-vision, 16gb DDR3-2133 Memory, 120GB SSD, 240gb SSD, 2x1TB SATA HD, 27" ASUS 2ms LCD. Corsair Mechanical KB, Razer Death Adder,Win 10 64 bit.
also:
Alienware M11x R2
#4093875 - 03/19/15 11:37 AM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: Gunslinger5577]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Gunslinger5577
I don't agree that the golden age of simming is over... It may have been for a time, and it certainly isn't as mainstream as before...but.. DCS, ROF, BOS... Arma3...

+1

And what I always find interesting are the doomsayers claiming that flight sims are dead while at the same time saying that they don't have the time necessary to dedicate to hardcore flight sims.

It's true that there aren't as many flight sim titles being released now when compared to the 1990's but what is currently out there is very good.

#4093881 - 03/19/15 12:00 PM Re: Am I Getting Old or Something? [Re: PFunk]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Targets in FSX? Say it ain't so Joe!!

Hell yeah first installment from the guys at FSX@War

Can't wait to try it....better than the other game....what was it again??? oh yeah Strike Fighters
or something like that. wink

http://www.fsxwar.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.