Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23
#4087660 - 03/04/15 07:17 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

"JADAM"? Wasn't JDAM capability added during the 21st century to the F-14Ds?

Also, are you talking about weapons actually integrated on the Tomcat, or just tried for flight, i.e. like F-16s and 4 HARMs, i.e. "sure, we tried flying it with those things on. Didn't crash, it flew" but never actually supported with internal wiring and such?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4087661 - 03/04/15 07:23 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
All F-14s were capable of carrying and deploying gravity bombs (Mk-82,84,etc).

Not exactly. The BRU-10 bomb racks the Tomcat was designed to use for A/G stores didn't work very well. Bombs released tended to hang up in the tunnel between the engines. That was a bad thing, and as a result, you never, and I mean never saw an F-14A carry (and release!) bombs operationally until the early 90's. What changed? The BRU-32 rack, originally developed for the F/A-18 was adapted for the Tomcat. I helped write the release and control checklists while I was still on active duty at Pax.

Self Designating LGB on the other hand required the LTS, which was a 1996 program, used to ready the cats to replace the A-6s until the SuperBugs reach OC.

That was a pretty slick thing that the Fleet (actually Fighterwing One) did pretty much on their own. NAVAIR finally got on board once it was proven you could use the LANTIRN pod on the Tomcat, this resulted in the "Bombcat" upgrades.

F-14s were never capable of deploying Stand Off A2G weapons (JADAM, SLAM, HARM, MAV, ETC).

True that. Also the Tomcat never got the AIM-120 update. Woulda-coulda-shoulda...

That said, the 7 Mike was pretty badass and under appreciated. And the Buffalo (a.k.a. Phoenix) was a beast.

So if you want a mach 2 mk.82 bomb truck, you should be able to do it, with no problems.

Even if the LTS isnt part of the Module, All -14s were capable of deploying them with another Aircraft lasing targets. (So A-10C, F-18C, and prolly JTAC, can lase in MP and have a -14 Come in and drop a LGB.

Works for me!

Also my comments are meant to provide historical context, such as I remember. Hard to believe how long ago that really was.

Best of luck to everyone working on this, I am looking forward to seeing the old girl back in the virtual skies.

-CJ

#4087664 - 03/04/15 07:25 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Rudel]  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Originally Posted By: Rudel

Please do CJ. Your work on Jane's F-15 and F/A-18 has inspired myself and coworkers!

Man that was a long time ago, but thanks. Best of luck to you and the rest of your team!

-CJ

#4087668 - 03/04/15 07:33 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: CJ Martin]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: CJ Martin

Not exactly. The BRU-10 bomb racks the Tomcat was designed to use for A/G stores didn't work very well. Bombs released tended to hang up in the tunnel between the engines. That was a bad thing, and as a result, you never, and I mean never saw an F-14A carry (and release!) bombs operationally until the early 90's. What changed? The BRU-32 rack, originally developed for the F/A-18 was adapted for the Tomcat. I helped write the release and control checklists while I was still on active duty at Pax.

Self Designating LGB on the other hand required the LTS, which was a 1996 program, used to ready the cats to replace the A-6s until the SuperBugs reach OC.

That was a pretty slick thing that the Fleet (actually Fighterwing One) did pretty much on their own. NAVAIR finally got on board once it was proven you could use the LANTIRN pod on the Tomcat, this resulted in the "Bombcat" upgrades.

F-14s were never capable of deploying Stand Off A2G weapons (JADAM, SLAM, HARM, MAV, ETC).

True that. Also the Tomcat never got the AIM-120 update. Woulda-coulda-shoulda...

That said, the 7 Mike was pretty badass and under appreciated. And the Buffalo (a.k.a. Phoenix) was a beast.

So if you want a mach 2 mk.82 bomb truck, you should be able to do it, with no problems.

Even if the LTS isnt part of the Module, All -14s were capable of deploying them with another Aircraft lasing targets. (So A-10C, F-18C, and prolly JTAC, can lase in MP and have a -14 Come in and drop a LGB.

Works for me!

Also my comments are meant to provide historical context, such as I remember. Hard to believe how long ago that really was.

Best of luck to everyone working on this, I am looking forward to seeing the old girl back in the virtual skies.

-CJ

Yeah, a lot of A specific parts seemed to not work.
Bomb Racks, Engines, Aim54A rocket motors etc.

They test fired Aim120s but they never progressed.past that.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 03/04/15 07:35 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4087674 - 03/04/15 07:47 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
That would be my setup in MP anyway, Aim9s abd Aim7s, :-)

2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4087681 - 03/04/15 08:03 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

I hope at some point LNS or ED adds the AIM-7P to the mix. I'm intrigued by the mid course uplink and apparently it's got something for it, because they're still hanging the things on the Hornets over Syria.

Off to greener pastures
#4087687 - 03/04/15 08:20 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: near_blind]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Originally Posted By: near_blind
I hope at some point LNS or ED adds the AIM-7P to the mix. I'm intrigued by the mid course uplink and apparently it's got something for it, because they're still hanging the things on the Hornets over Syria.

Cost.

Medium priced BVR against lower tech opposition.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4087741 - 03/04/15 10:38 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Not sure where you heard they test fired the AIM-120, as far as I know that is not true. Would have required a software update and that didn't happen. Captive carry is possible, but I never saw that at Pax and we did all the wep sep work here.

Some other myths I can bust:

* the TF-30s turned out to be pretty decent motors once the kinks were worked out. Actually faster in the top end, although the F110 would blow it away off the line

* AIM-54 rocket motor issues were almost always caused by improper adjustment of the missile rail. Mess that up and you create the notorious "Phoennie bomb"

* After the Shah got run out of Iran, commercial "fuzzbuster" radar detectors were mounted in the front cockpit to provide some warning a Hawk battery was lighting up the jet. By the mid 80s we were pulling those out as the EW gear had been updated.

* AWG-9 was an immensely powerful radar but that power came at a cost - poor reliability. The system would stay up pretty good if you flew the crap out of it, but if it sat for a couple of days it would take some work to get back up. The downside of port visits!

-CJ

#4087744 - 03/04/15 10:41 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Quickcord Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord
Quickcord  Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord

Maryland
Would be nice if we could use a TARPS pod for reconnaissance or BDA missions.

Quickcord

NZXT Phantom 630 Case
AMD FX 8350
16GB Corsair Vengence, ASUS Crosshair Formula Z
RX480, Samsung 840 Pro 128 Gig SSD, WD 1TB HDD
Corsair TX850w PSU
#4087848 - 03/05/15 03:38 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: CJ Martin]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY

Works for me!

-CJ

CJ, It's good to see you back on these boards, I was stationed at NAS Pax River for my shore duty back in the day. I love the work you did with Jane's F/A-18, It has and continues to be one of my all time favorite combat flight Simulations. Funny the mention of the F-14B, I just finished reading the following book on the subject:
Black Aces High: The Story of a Modern Fighter Squadron at War by Robert Wilcox.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Aces-High-Fi...Black+Aces+high

Heat2151
USN Retired"08

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#4087917 - 03/05/15 11:20 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Heat, when were you at Pax? I was active duty there 1988-91 assigned to Strike Aircraft Test Directorate (now VX-23). Aside from a little side trip in the late 90s (lol), I've been here ever since. Navy civilian now though.

-CJ

Last edited by CJ Martin; 03/05/15 11:21 AM.
#4087990 - 03/05/15 02:00 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If the D program hadn't been canned by Cheney I think the 120 integration would've happened. As it was the fleet was too small to bother with AFAIK.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4088114 - 03/05/15 05:55 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: CJ Martin]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Heat, when were you at Pax? I was active duty there 1988-91 assigned to Strike Aircraft Test Directorate (now VX-23). Aside from a little side trip in the late 90s (lol), I've been here ever since. Navy civilian now though.

-CJ

CJ, I was at PAX, from 92 to 94 when I came back from the sandbox (aka) the boat. I miss the people and had a great time. I don't miss those long lines to get in the base in the morning. At times it felt that like the traffic was backed up all the way to Baltimore. Their was this great bar at Solomon's island that we used to frequent on weekends called the tiki bar, man that was such a blast.

Heat2151
USN Retired'08

Last edited by heat2151; 03/05/15 06:11 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#4088121 - 03/05/15 06:13 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
The very definition of insta-buy.

Can't wait to pretend to be Maverick. I may even play in a bath towel, all soaped up.

Now I just need a Tornado.

#4088206 - 03/05/15 08:41 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Tiki bar still there, hell that was a thing even when I first came here. Tiki opening is the traditional kickoff of the summer season.

-CJ

#4088227 - 03/05/15 09:42 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: CJ Martin]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Not sure where you heard they test fired the AIM-120, as far as I know that is not true. Would have required a software update and that didn't happen. Captive carry is possible, but I never saw that at Pax and we did all the wep sep work here.

* the TF-30s turned out to be pretty decent motors once the kinks were worked out. Actually faster in the top end, although the F110 would blow it away off the line

* AIM-54 rocket motor issues were almost always caused by improper adjustment of the missile rail. Mess that up and you create the notorious "Phoennie bomb"

* After the Shah got run out of Iran, commercial "fuzzbuster" radar detectors were mounted in the front cockpit to provide some warning a Hawk battery was lighting up the jet. By the mid 80s we were pulling those out as the EW gear had been updated.

* AWG-9 was an immensely powerful radar but that power came at a cost - poor reliability. The system would stay up pretty good if you flew the crap out of it, but if it sat for a couple of days it would take some work to get back up. The downside of port visits!

-CJ

Given the work they did on the Mig, I'll be curious to see how much of this "character" from the F-14 makes its way into the final product. Maybe it's all rumors/overblown, but it still seems like she was a finky bird a lot of the time (more so than other jets). Im sure LN has some tricks up their sleeves here...

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4088327 - 03/06/15 02:51 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

-CJ

Given the work they did on the Mig, I'll be curious to see how much of this "character" from the F-14 makes its way into the final product. Maybe it's all rumors/overblown, but it still seems like she was a finky bird a lot of the time (more so than other jets). Im sure LN has some tricks up their sleeves here...

Before the DFCS yeah,
After the DFCS, not so much.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 03/06/15 02:51 AM.

#4088387 - 03/06/15 08:42 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Penguran Offline
Penguran  Offline

Did LNS make any comments in regards to LANTIRN or Bombcat upgrades?

#4088409 - 03/06/15 09:42 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Penguran]  
Ghost0815 Offline
Ghost0815  Offline

Originally Posted By: Penguran

They want to look into Bombcat, if they get all tech-information.

#4088410 - 03/06/15 09:57 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Ghost0815]  
Penguran Offline
Penguran  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghost0815
Originally Posted By: Penguran

They want to look into Bombcat, if they get all tech-information.

I don't know a lot about Bombcat or F-14 in general. Does Bombcat have LANTIRN? Or was that some other upgrade?

Thanks.

Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.