Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4086055 - 03/01/15 11:04 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I forgot to mention, I'm using GIMP 2.8.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4086105 - 03/02/15 01:23 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey SOGriffin

You actually want to click "File" and then "Export", not save, then all those options will be available!

Also, make sure you click "Advanced Options" and save it at 24 bit:

Hope that helps! Show us a picture when you are done!

salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4086136 - 03/02/15 02:59 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks Rick, I was able to save the file, but now in the game when I select my skin it doesn't select it.

#4086142 - 03/02/15 03:22 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, so once you saved it as a windows bitmap, you opened it in dxtbmp and saved as a.dds file in the correct folder following the naming convention? Talk me through what you've done a bit and we'll see if we can get you back on track...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4086146 - 03/02/15 03:35 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
That was the strangest thing, I was able to save it as a DDS file into the correct folder but when I would select it for my pilot it would assign a different skin. I had saved it with my pilot's name and so on a whim I changed it to my real name and that worked. I'm really puzzled by this one. Anyway, I've included a screenshot of my first skin. It's real simple, I just took the standard skin for Jasta 1 and added an emblem.

#4086147 - 03/02/15 03:37 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
In case I've forgotten, thanks for the tutorial. It really helped a lot and has gotten me excited about creating some original skins. When you save them, do you save them under your character's name or under a totally different naming convention?

#4086154 - 03/02/15 04:37 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I'm glad it worked for you, that looks like a great start! Honestly, I don't really understand the naming convention, sometimes it works for me sometimes not. I just pick an ace's name with the same plane in the same squad and erase his name and put mine, even preserving the underscores. Maybe Olham or someone who has a better handle on what's important will chime in. Keep us posted on your progress!

#4087764 - 03/04/15 11:11 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hey Rick, check out my new skin for my pilot flying for Jasta 4. He is from a minor noble family in Silesia and I thought it would be cool to include the lower Silesian coat of arms since he is from Gorlitz. Anyway, what do you think?

#4087787 - 03/05/15 12:28 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That looks great! Size and centering look good, color palette fits nicely, well done sir! thumbsup

#4087801 - 03/05/15 01:09 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks, part of the role playing for me is to use the default skin for the Jasta and assume that my pilot would start with that. Anyway, I've definitely been bitten by the skinning bug.

#4087808 - 03/05/15 01:32 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
SOGriffin;

Lovely skin and at leas for awhile you will lose some flying time to your new hobby.....skinning!! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4093279 - 03/17/15 08:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
It's been a long while since I've done any skinning, but last night I gave it another go. I modified a Jasta 5 Albatros. I opened it with DXT Bitmap & passed it on to Photoshop CS3, did the work, and saved it back to the OFF Skins folder as a .dds. But it won't show up in the skins list in Quick Combat. So I dragged it to the desktop and put it in the WOFF Skins. Still...no go. Here what I titled it. Any ideas on why it doesn't want to show?

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee.dds

Once we get this sorted, is it possible to preface the Skin title with *, or _, so it appears at the top of the list? (t'would save search time since there's a lot of them.)

Last edited by Hauksbee; 03/17/15 08:34 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4093460 - 03/18/15 06:05 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Well, there's a couple of possibilities here. One is you may have modded a DVa (for example) skin but labeled it something different and then selected the wrong Albatros type in the QC menu... I have done that before. Try picking some of the other Albatros types and see if it shows up. I have also done everything correctly and it still didn't work. If you can't find it as one of the other Albatros types, delete it from both skins folders, restart your computer and run it through DXTBMP saving it in the campaign skins folder and run WOFF again. Let us know if either of those work and we can take it from there!

#4093473 - 03/18/15 07:53 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Well, there's a couple of possibilities here. One is you may have modded a DVa (for example) skin but labeled it something different and then selected the wrong Albatros type in the QC menu... I have done that before. Try picking some of the other Albatros types and see if it shows up. I have also done everything correctly and it still didn't work. If you can't find it as one of the other Albatros types, delete it from both skins folders, restart your computer and run it through DXTBMP saving it in the campaign skins folder and run WOFF again. Let us know if either of those work and we can take it from there!

Thanks, Rick. I've already checked every Alb. variant. It doesn't show up at all. I'll delete and run DXT Bitmap tomorrow.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4093553 - 03/18/15 01:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Maybe exit WOFF and try again to refresh the skins list?

Last edited by Polovski; 03/18/15 01:48 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4093598 - 03/18/15 04:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
One thing I have noticed is that WOFF is very particular on how the skin is named.
For example I put DIH in the name of the skin and it would not show in-game. Showed in the list, and was selectable but it would not appear in flightt - the default skin would.
I had to change it to D I H (just as an example) to get it show actually in flight.

#4093832 - 03/19/15 05:08 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hauksbee

Thanks, Rick. I've already checked every Alb. variant. It doesn't show up at all. I'll delete and run DXT Bitmap tomorrow.

It doesn't look like it wants to work. I dragged it from the OFF Skins, to the Desktop, launched DXT Bitmap, chose Adobe CS3 as the Editor, sent the .dds skin to Photoshop, then saved the Photoshop back to WOFF Skins as .dds. When I go to QC there are only four personal skins listed, plus a dozen or so which are just by Jasta and date.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 03/19/15 05:09 AM.

#4093833 - 03/19/15 05:25 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hauksbee, if you can, send me the bitmap file and I will see if I can get it to work. I sent you the address in a pm.

#4094149 - 03/19/15 11:49 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, Wow, made some headway for you, Hauksbee...

Good and bad news. Sometimes you have to add the file to the skin folder, run WOFF, take it out, run it again and put it back before it will work, I have no idea why...

Here's what I got to:

Which gave me the default Albatros skin the first time but when I went through the above rigamarole, it worked!

Now, you'll notice things don't quite line up... so I did some investigating and it looks like you used an Albatros DIII as your base skin, which does not line up with the DV series base skins, especially in the wheels...
If you use something like Irfanview, you can cycle through the Albatros skins and you will see the components are not all in the same spot on the template...
So, a quick rename later produced this:

which looks like this:

if you wanted to continue the texture onto the top of the fuselage (which I am suspecting you do) from looking at the bottom picture, I think you can see what you need to fix.

So, here's what you can do...
Enjoy your Albatros DIII career by renaming your skin :

Off_Alb_DIII_OAW_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee

Or, through some clever cutting and pasting, you can transfer your skin to the DV skin you want, in which case I named it:

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee_1

Remember, from Photoshop, you want to export it to a Windows Bitmap at 24 bits, run it in DXTBMP and save as a .dds to

Phew... let me know if that makes sense...or works!

salute

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 03/20/15 12:44 AM.

#4094181 - 03/20/15 01:50 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Remember, from Photoshop, you want to export it to a Windows Bitmap at 24 bits, run it in DXTBMP and save as a .dds to Skins.
Phew... let me know if that makes sense...or works!

That was some fancy footwork, Rick. Thank you very, very much. This morning, I also noticed that I had forgotten to continue the stripping over the top deck. (asleep at the switch)

Your instructions seem pretty straightforward. I'll jump on this tomorrow and report back. Thanks again!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.