Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4085030 - 02/27/15 07:18 PM Trying to get back into the saddle....  
LC Offline
LC  Offline

After installing DCS world and having only the stock FC3 I believe missions, campaigns, planes etc. I have decided I have enough free time to try and learn this sim. So here are my questions.

1. Since I come from the WWII prop plane era of sims, jets are new to me so Im going to start with the SU-25T missions training and campaign. Is this the plane to start with or should I stick to another aircraft?

2. I installed JSGME to maybe start looking at mods, I have installed sweetfx into it and its showing on my JSGME so I assume all is well after starting game runs well etc. Any other mods I should take a look at?

3. After I become proficient with flying and all, what are the plans for upcoming modules for DCS? I was really interested in the Sabre but without a Korean type campaign I will pass. Sorry I don't have time for much multiplayer or I would concider it again.

Any other hints/tips would be great. Hope to get to multiplayer someday but not until I can fly and land a plane on a regular basis smile

Asus Z97-A
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7 4790K
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4085121 - 02/27/15 09:55 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
First be sure you have FC3. It is not stock with DCS World. DCS World is free and comes with the SU-25T attack jet and the TF-51 prop trainer. You must purchase FC3 from the DCS store page and install it into your DCS world just as you would any other module.

If you do have FC3 from experience I would start with the Su-25A as your first plane. Here is my list of aircraft to train on in order and why -

SU 25A - less complex systems, advanced flight model, lots of weapons to employ, easy to configure for controls.

SU-25T - Builds on the A model - adds a HUD system, adds a screen targeting system for missiles (Skval/Vikhr), more buttons to configure.

A-10A - American way of doing things, Advanced flight model, American weapons, screen targeting for Mavericks.

Here is a link for a thread that has more info on this topic -

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4070534/A_little_step-by-step_guide_ho#Post4070534

Also check out Robert Sogomonian on youtube for the best videos on the SU-25T and some Su-25A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-55eDVnu5o&list=PLB_U6g70AVu0Kpv03pgyHOWp4_nAOPdwJ

And Bunyap for just a whole host of goodness on DCS configuration, flying, and missions. Bunyap will make you want to buy all the modules -

https://www.youtube.com/user/4023446

Good luck!

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4085127 - 02/27/15 10:09 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Right now, I'd say take a look at what VEAO and LNS have got cooking. LNS has released an awesome MiG-21. VEAO has a Hawk trainer out, and with more planes from different eras on the way. Steer way clear of BST, they've gotten into an obvious habit of releasing "Beta" modules and then doing little to almost no follow up work on them. ED doesn't have much interesting right now. A bunch of WW2 birds that just aren't realistic due to limitations as to what DCS can model, and an F/A-18C that we'll be lucky to see before 2020 at this rate.

#4085372 - 02/28/15 12:27 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: scrim]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: scrim
A bunch of WW2 birds that just aren't realistic due to limitations as to what DCS can model

With regards to what?

Several extremely seasoned warbird pilots have assess that the P-51D is the most realistic depiction in a sim they have ever seen.

Last edited by Sobek; 02/28/15 01:10 PM.
#4085390 - 02/28/15 01:10 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

The DCS AI / DM limitations and problems is what he's talking about. Where we differ, however, is that I believe someone's going to work on them eventually, whereas he seemingly doesn't...

#4085391 - 02/28/15 01:12 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Quote:
then doing little to almost no follow up work on them.

If you want to fly choppers they're the only game in town ATM, like it or not.

#4085441 - 02/28/15 04:17 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: Sobek]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sobek
With regards to what?

Several extremely seasoned warbird pilots have assess that the P-51D is the most realistic depiction in a sim they have ever seen.

I know of the 3 (?) pilots who fly P-51s today, albeit somewhat modified due to some restrictions about the rear fuel tank. That it has one of the best FMs around is something I'm perfectly willing to believe.

But what would the verdict be if they put actual WW2 pilots in front of the PC and let them see an AI that can rum amok with WEP and tries to fly their props like 4th gen fighters, and a DM that allows both players and AI to absorb damage that would down even B-17s?

Last time I checked, the FM problem was acknowledged, and it didn't sound optimistic. IIRC the reason the AI doesn't use AFM is because it would have an extreme performance hit. And the DM I can only recall being acknowledged once via a moderator several months ago, and since then there's been nothing.

I'm not saying these things are impossible to fix, I'm saying that they've clearly stated that these will be tough to fix. And I just don't think it's a smart thing to spend money and effort on the WW2 project before fixing those things. Start by developing a good foundation before you go on to developing what will need that base, instead of first setting about the project and leaving the foundation of it all to an undetermined date in the future. Is that gonna become the next EDGE?

#4085633 - 03/01/15 12:03 AM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: LC
After installing DCS world and having only the stock FC3 I believe missions, campaigns, planes etc. I have decided I have enough free time to try and learn this sim. So here are my questions.

1. Since I come from the WWII prop plane era of sims, jets are new to me so Im going to start with the SU-25T missions training and campaign. Is this the plane to start with or should I stick to another aircraft?

The Su-25T at the start is a pain to fly as far as landing anyway, as it took me about three weeks to get it "right" for landing without popping the tires out. Remember that landing it requires you to know how to operate the parachute as you will need it. Matter of fact earlier this year (or last year really) I did a simple review for it and should help you along:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dcs-su-25t-review-eric-johnson?trk=mp-reader-card

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4085778 - 03/01/15 01:18 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: scrim]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

And the DM I can only recall being acknowledged once via a moderator several months ago, and since then there's been nothing.

No, it has been acknowledged by Yo-Yo that the damage model needs work. Now in case you don't know, Yo-Yo is not a moderator.

#4085781 - 03/01/15 01:27 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: Sobek]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I can only recall

#4085814 - 03/01/15 03:01 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: scrim]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

I can only recall

What's your point? That all statements where people recall incorrectly should be left uncorrected?

#4085867 - 03/01/15 04:49 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: Sobek]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Sobek

What's your point? That all statements where people recall incorrectly should be left uncorrected?

You're hardly correcting anything given that 'Yo-Yo' is part of the ED team and not a moderator, therefore Scrim's statement holds more weight anyway. If anything, you're just being a bit pedantic.

I sometimes wonder if any of the ED team actually view related posts on other forums and face-palm because ED moderators aren't actually helping their cause one iota. Don't get me wrong, some helpful information is great, as are tips and sources of information......but when things get defensive the ED moderators can often make the company look quite juvenile and silly given that they are representing them.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4085885 - 03/01/15 05:31 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: Paradaz]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Indeed the moderation on the ED forums shows a lack of respect for the customers. I have had many discussions erased because [edited] got his panties in a bunch. I called him a [edited] in a pm which got me banned. No big deal but the guy is hurting the companies public image.

Lets leave the personal aspect out of it when it comes to current members here.

Last edited by Force10; 03/01/15 10:18 PM. Reason: Personal
#4085891 - 03/01/15 05:52 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

You know what's wrong with this community? Not blaming anyone personally, but had it been me who was expressing doubts about ED's way of acknowledging flaws, I would've _thanked_ the person telling me this particular problem at least has been noted. Alas, no: people got cheeky instead, and yet another moronic crap-slinging match is in the making.

I don't know. Maybe I should delete my long-standing account here, because what this board has become makes me want to RETCH.

#4085892 - 03/01/15 05:58 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

Last edited by brownba; 03/08/15 11:42 PM.
#4085912 - 03/01/15 06:41 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: msalama]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: msalama
You know what's wrong with this community? Not blaming anyone personally, but had it been me who was expressing doubts about ED's way of acknowledging flaws, I would've _thanked_ the person telling me this particular problem at least has been noted. Alas, no: people got cheeky instead, and yet another moronic crap-slinging match is in the making.

About 5 posts further up, Scrim told everyone that the problems had been acknowledged but no-one had heard anything more about them. Isn't that the part that someone is telling everyone that the problem has been noted?.....that post was also the one giving information to the original OP about where the land lies with current modules!

The only thing I can see within this thread are a couple of people disagreeing with Scrim, and attempting to 'put him right' by saying that the info didn't come from a moderator as Scrim recalled but from someone on ED's actual team. Yet in doing so are making a mountain out a molehill.

The information that Scrim was putting across is that there are a couple of major areas that still haven't been addressed, it's largely irrelevant where the information actually came from given that it is confirmed as being acknowledged from ED's end.......can it not be left there? - unless of course anyone else has some updated information with regards when or if these areas are going to be addressed because it may also help the OP with his decision in where to start when getting back into the saddle.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4086041 - 03/01/15 10:44 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: brownba]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: brownba
What happened to the mods at simhq? Have they all given up? Why is nearly every thread in the DCS forums allowed to degenerate into a b**ch fest? The topic of this thread is about getting back into flight sims and by page 2, here we are with the usual suspects b****ing about the same old same old.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. The OP asked for advice on modules to get, and advice was given on both positives and negatives. IMO...scrim gave pretty good advice as far as the WWII planes go...the OP is only interested in single player right now and the AI where it stands now might not be the best choice.

SimHQ isn't really a storefront to "push" products on members. Both side are allowed to be expressed and I would like to think that helps someone like the OP make a more informed decision on what to buy.

The "debating" is just a by-product of people with different opinions.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4086258 - 03/02/15 02:15 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Debate is beneficial, differing opinions are vital, and disagreement is the JET-A of all progress. Nothing wrong with _any_ of that.

What we're seeing here, however, is personal animosity and lack of manners and common courtesy. Hence all these FUBAR-fests and folks crapping all over the place like demented monkeys. None of which, BTW, does any _more_ good for SimHQ's reputation than some of our members allegedly do for ED's.

#4086321 - 03/02/15 03:57 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
LC Offline
LC  Offline

Thanks for the tips guys, yes I am more into single player at the moment and having a heck of a time with the SU-25. Didn't know it had no hud except for the bombsight/gun reticle. Made me think I had a key mapped wrong smile

I am debating on the Sabre.....would love a Korea style campaign but I know there are none available. Cant wait to see where this sim goes next. So many different modules Id love to buy, only time for one at the moment.

Asus Z97-A
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7 4790K
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
#4086352 - 03/02/15 05:00 PM Re: Trying to get back into the saddle.... [Re: LC]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
This is why I don't have any WWII birds or any helos but the Ka-50...because I don't feel like DCS World, as it now stands, is worthwhile for meaningful combat with them. Yes, you can learn the systems and fly around and fire weapons at things that don't shoot back, but there's little they can do in the existing sim to be really worthwhile.
The F-86 I got only because it was on sale and is theoretically good against the slow planes and helos in the sim. The MiG-15 makes it a bit more worthwhile, a Korean terrain with era-appropriate ground targets and ships and AI planes (B-29s, P-80s, Yaks, Panthers, etc) would make it a no-brainer.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.