Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4084790 - 02/27/15 12:04 PM Trends in IL2  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
I posted about steamcharts a month or so ago and thought I would check them out again. I was hoping recent announcements would be reflected in BOS's trends.

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=il-2

Unfortunately, BOS is on a pretty steady slide downwards. IL-2:1946 is actually catching up to BOS, while CLOD is down slightly, but still about twice the activity. The devs obviously must see this trend and I wonder how much it has factored into the recent announcements. I also noticed the devs are back on SimHQ boards after a dramatic exit.

The unlock and ME announcements, as well as the BOM announcement don't seem to have had any effect on people playing the game. There was no bump and the trend remains constant. It just looks like people are losing interest.

I find it odd that BOS is losing players faster than IL2:1946.

#4084814 - 02/27/15 01:03 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Hmmm... the fact that I am spending more time in War Thunder ground forces seems to re inforce your assumption smile

#4084985 - 02/27/15 06:23 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

Your forgetting the amount of people that play offline in which no.metrics can be generated. Theres been alot more action on the main forums. And there is.lots of buzz about recent accomplishments. SMB For one.

Agreed that there was no real bump for MP. But then again FMB was Just released. Its going to take some time to gen up some good missions. I just hope that this lull in activity has been a vindication for all that hated these design decisions and more importantly that Loft and the moscow team pull their collective heads out, and see the same thing.

If all gameplay decisions went through JW. We'd be rockin RoF 2.0 and havin a blast.

Last edited by Hooves; 02/27/15 06:23 PM.
#4084990 - 02/27/15 06:26 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: Trooper117]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

Originally Posted By: Trooper117
Hmmm... the fact that I am spending more time in War Thunder ground forces seems to re inforce your assumption smile

They did do a great job with ground forces in WT especially in full sim battles, which begs the question. If Loft us so obsessed with being like WT, why not release drivable tanks in Il2?

#4085012 - 02/27/15 06:49 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Because he thought you could take ROF and slap a veneer on it to make it like WT without actually needing to build it from the ground up that way. As with so many things, he was wrong.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4085039 - 02/27/15 07:34 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

I know BOS was done by a partnership between 1C and 777 ( 1CGS), but I would certainly think the bean counters at 1C are probably paying some attention to the ROI ( return on investment) of BOS and the upcoming BOM.

There is no doubt in my mind, if Jason had the lead and Loft had to go with his decisions, BOS would have fared much better. Hell, all they had to do was expand on the excellent structuring of ROF and it would have generated a lot more excitement, all of course IMHO.

Hopefully with the release of the FME there will eventually be some good user created content in the form of missions or campaigns that help rekindle the interest of a lot of folks like myself that lost a lot of interest by the game design.

Obviously the FME is a lot more complex than what some campaign builders were used to with previous incarnations ( IL2 1946, Cliffs). Hopefully some of these same talented folks that created a lot of content for them will be able to wrap their arms around the FME and do the same for BOS.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4085046 - 02/27/15 07:44 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: Hooves]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Hooves
If all gameplay decisions went through JW. We'd be rockin RoF 2.0 and havin a blast.

+1 to that!

I think Loft can run a good backroom and get things done from a programming aspect, but Jason should be in charge of the creative direction of the BoS/BoM projects. Loft has tried to make BoS all things to all people which turned into a train wreck.

RoF when combined with PWCG is one of the best combat flight sims ever created IMO and with something similar BoS would be just as good. If Jason still has control over RoF I'll be less concerned about future updates, as recently I became terrified Loft had taken over the creative direction of RoF and would ruin it also.

Now that the Mission Editor has been released Jason has just a few more hurdles to overcome to give the community the tools it needs to create some great content for BoS, so good luck to him thumbsup

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4085098 - 02/27/15 09:29 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Yes, and if Oleg never left we would be sitting pretty with 5 new IL2 versions....

If ED would have put more time into EDGE we would be sitting pretty with 20 new WWII birds and era appropriate equipment.

Too many "ifs" and 20/20 hindsight.

See, in reality too many stupid decisions on both sides of 777 and 1c have been made. Trying to put blame squarely on one person on the "team" is inaccurate. Yeah, you have some fans that are trying real hard (too hard in fact, its almost embarrassing) make it seem like JW is a fighter for the people and trying so hard to give the community what it wants. What decisions were made to put him there? Was he handed a piece of paper telling him to do this with a gun to his head? Oh poor him.....lol

Its real easy to point the finger when things are going crappy and blame Loft. It seems just as easy to ignore stupid things JW has done to get to this point. It seems its one company to me. It seems the rules were not changed last week.

I am not saying Loft is right. I am saying nothing was done without everyone knowing, and if it was, well maybe the people that are not "in the know" should be slapped for being ignorant about who they do business with.

#4085133 - 02/27/15 10:24 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
IC is probably providing most of the capital, so they could hold considerable sway on which direction the series and features would take. Its only natural that there would be arguments between Jason, Loft, etc on the best use for these limited funds, and setting priorities accordingly. With the IC management, and bean counters strongly suggesting certain priorities, with those funds.

Originally I think the UNLOCKS idea were a feature with some gameplay aspects, but mainly a possible revenue source from those willing to pay for them rather than play for them. I personally don't have much of a problem with buying certain content, as the current price per hour of game play is ridiculously small, especially if the extra funds help continue the development, and added features.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4085171 - 02/27/15 11:23 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: lokitexas]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: lokitexas
See, in reality too many stupid decisions on both sides of 777 and 1c have been made. Trying to put blame squarely on one person on the "team" is inaccurate. Yeah, you have some fans that are trying real hard (too hard in fact, its almost embarrassing) make it seem like JW is a fighter for the people and trying so hard to give the community what it wants. What decisions were made to put him there? Was he handed a piece of paper telling him to do this with a gun to his head? Oh poor him.....lol

Its real easy to point the finger when things are going crappy and blame Loft. It seems just as easy to ignore stupid things JW has done to get to this point. It seems its one company to me. It seems the rules were not changed last week.

I am not saying Loft is right. I am saying nothing was done without everyone knowing, and if it was, well maybe the people that are not "in the know" should be slapped for being ignorant about who they do business with.

There does seem to have been a concerted effort over the last week or so to distance Jason from any of IL-2's ill's and portray him as some kind of victim in all of this, very odd.

#4085179 - 02/27/15 11:36 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: Revvin]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Revvin

There does seem to have been a concerted effort over the last week or so to distance Jason from any of IL-2's ill's and portray him as some kind of victim in all of this, very odd.

I've been trying to figure out who's on first for some time now (from the outside looking in). Some partnerships are 50/50, but that is rare. Usually the one providing more capital gets at least a 51/49 relationship with the other partner (if there are only two partners), and once you get 51% of the vote you're king.

If there is an even number of partners many lawyers will tell the group to split things up so there is always a minimum 51% vote or you can get deadlock at 50% and can't get anything done. I'm guessing Loft or 1C have 51%+ of 1CGS. If Jason owns 49% or less of 1CGS then he can share in the profits but has no control over anything unless there are more than two partners and he can consolidate his voting power with another partner that exceeds 50% of ownership when combined.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4085183 - 02/27/15 11:40 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

I would imagine 1C would have the greater share, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4085214 - 02/28/15 12:30 AM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: lokitexas]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

Yes, and if Oleg never left we would be sitting pretty with 5 new IL2 versions....

If ED would have put more time into EDGE we would be sitting pretty with 20 new WWII birds and era appropriate equipment.

Too many "ifs" and 20/20 hindsight.

Your already professed hate for JW makes anything written by you pretty ridiculous and impossible to read with a straight face.

As far as trying "too hard" i dont ever believe clearing misconceptions and lies that the illinformed spread can ever be questioned to being attempted with to much effort.

Im a long time Air Force Veteran, i take the core values to heart and first and foremost is Integrity. Doing whats right.

I have met Jason, i know his intentions, the strain this relationship (1CGS) has put on him and his family. How he wanted to keep food on the table for not only himself but his team when RoFs future was uncertain. And then also dealing with super awesome people like yourself.

I get that you havent had the best customer relation with him. But honestly. Get over yourself. He and I and even you are human, we all make mistakes. Id like to be judged as how i came back from those mistakes.

Your accusations against Jason and 777 and myself are baseless, mean spirited and just plain wrong and those are facts, not interpretations. I know a little about how things initially shaped up and your guestimates are so off its tin hat hilarious.

The worst part is that this is a game you spent 100 bucks on. Thats it, i promise you have spent 1000 on things that delivered far less and impacted your health in far worse ways. Yet you cant let go of 100 bucks you spent 2 hears ago.

No one kicked your dog, or punched you in the mouth. Grow up please.

#4085337 - 02/28/15 07:54 AM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: Hooves]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.

Your already professed hate for JW makes anything written by you pretty ridiculous and impossible to read with a straight face.

As far as trying "too hard" i dont ever believe clearing misconceptions and lies that the illinformed spread can ever be questioned to being attempted with to much effort.

Im a long time Air Force Veteran, i take the core values to heart and first and foremost is Integrity. Doing whats right.

I have met Jason, i know his intentions, the strain this relationship (1CGS) has put on him and his family. How he wanted to keep food on the table for not only himself but his team when RoFs future was uncertain. And then also dealing with super awesome people like yourself.

I get that you havent had the best customer relation with him. But honestly. Get over yourself. He and I and even you are human, we all make mistakes. Id like to be judged as how i came back from those mistakes.

Your accusations against Jason and 777 and myself are baseless, mean spirited and just plain wrong and those are facts, not interpretations. I know a little about how things initially shaped up and your guestimates are so off its tin hat hilarious.

The worst part is that this is a game you spent 100 bucks on. Thats it, i promise you have spent 1000 on things that delivered far less and impacted your health in far worse ways. Yet you cant let go of 100 bucks you spent 2 hears ago.

No one kicked your dog, or punched you in the mouth. Grow up please.

I thought you not going to discuss these things with me? Did you forget? Yet, here you are still replying.

I am not concerned with the fact you took my post as mean spirited. I dont care that you assume I am talking about you, although its funny you would jump to that conclusion when no names were mentioned.

I am also sick of the sob stories you keep dribbling out about your buddy. I am positive everyone on this forum has had tough times in all areas of their life. Its nothing special. Dropping your vet status and poor Jason routine kind of shows who really needs to grow up here.

If you dont like my view, you can always ignore me.

#4085339 - 02/28/15 08:01 AM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

This is starting to be too much personal to my taste...

If you're close, get closer.
#4085477 - 02/28/15 05:36 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

There is no helping you. SimHQ is now a haven for hate spewing folks like your self. Its sad to see it tumble this far. Off to greener pastures.

#4085535 - 02/28/15 08:29 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: Hooves]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
There is no helping you. SimHQ is now a haven for hate spewing folks like your self. Its sad to see it tumble this far. Off to greener pastures.

Helping me what? See the way you see things? No thanks.

Off to greener (or in this case, biased, censored) pastures? Ok then. It seems another crusader has given up hope for us poor souls who have not see the great, beacon of simming light that is the almighty BoS. Such heathens we are.

#4085744 - 03/01/15 10:44 AM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: KodiakJac]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

I've been trying to figure out who's on first for some time now (from the outside looking in). Some partnerships are 50/50, but that is rare. Usually the one providing more capital gets at least a 51/49 relationship with the other partner (if there are only two partners), and once you get 51% of the vote you're king.

If there is an even number of partners many lawyers will tell the group to split things up so there is always a minimum 51% vote or you can get deadlock at 50% and can't get anything done. I'm guessing Loft or 1C have 51%+ of 1CGS. If Jason owns 49% or less of 1CGS then he can share in the profits but has no control over anything unless there are more than two partners and he can consolidate his voting power with another partner that exceeds 50% of ownership when combined.

Well what we're hearing is opinion and rumour about what's going on behind closed doors but what we do know for a fact is that Jason has repeatedly and forcefully stated that decisions were made by the team and not some evil 1C corporate monster, Jason is part of that team and those are the facts we know. What we're hearing from some is a version of events to distance Jason from those poor decisions he has repeatedly and forcefully stated were made as a team which may well work out nicely for Jason if he decides to go his own way and wants to stay in this industry. He can come back with a new product/game and tell us how its all different now and that it was all those nasty Russians at 1C that we're being drip fed about now. What I do know of him is of my personal exchanges with him where he has behaved poorly towards me. What we all know is how he's come here effing and blinding at people, how he has treated customers with disdain and disrespect on the official forums. What we do know is how he removed access to a server because somebody disagreed with decisions he and the team made after all their hard work helping promote his product and how it was Jason involved in the leaked email and Steam conversation that shows he made payments/incentives to people to counter criticism on forums. What I do hope I'm wrong about is the feeling of xenophobia from some quarters when demonising 1C and the team in Russia.

#4085765 - 03/01/15 12:21 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: dburne]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
When I first saw this post http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13538-cozy-reading-room/ with the summer terrain, the tag under Loft's name said "Chief Producer". At some point it got changed to "Producer". Seems like Loft thinks he's the main man.

#4085768 - 03/01/15 12:47 PM Re: Trends in IL2 [Re: RyanE]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

I am curious, did Loft come from 1C or 777?

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.