Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4082740 - 02/23/15 07:56 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
specialksl Offline
specialksl  Offline

Baltimore, MD USA
Coot:Listen to your Dad! I have gout also. I am taking daily pills and haven't had a bout in months. One Friday before taking the pills, I woke up with a severe case. I could barely walk and couldn't get in to see my doctor (no appointments available). I read about cherries helping. My wife went out and got a pound (expensive in February) and I ate the whole pound. Wasn't bad because I love cherries. I woke up the next morning and it was 90% better! Now the pills are helping but I keep some cherry juice handy, just in case.

Main PC: ASUS P8Z77 - Intel I7 3770K OC to 4.4GHZ - Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro
GeForce GTX 970
16 Gig G.Skill Ares DDR3
Samsung EVO SSD 500GB
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit
ASUS PB278Q @ 2560x1440

SIMPIT: ASUS Prime Z370-A, I7 8700K, H80i-V2 watercooler
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080
Windows 10 64bit
32GB 2400 DDR4 memory
Thrustmaster Warthog - 2-TM MFDs
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals,4 -FIPs, TPM, Radio, Multipanel, Switch Panel, Pro Flight Yoke
3 - 32" Samsung monitors-1920x1080, 22" Samsung monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4082796 - 02/23/15 09:00 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've never tried it but I need too. I heard it needs to be organic cherry juice too. Just called in for a refill for the Indomethacin so hopefully the doctor will give the go ahead. I can move my toes now but its still there and I can't shake it. Took a half day off for it. I've worked on it worse than it is right now but it was also hellacious. No thank you. Just give me the good stuff to knock it out fast.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4082858 - 02/23/15 11:11 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I suffered big time with gout, from my late-20's to early 40's. For me it seemed to be triggered by Diet Coke and/or Diet Dr. Pepper binges, I'm talking 6+ cans a day.

It was a 5-day process for me, starting with a soreness around my big toe joint to day 4 when I couldn't tolerate the breeze from a ceiling fan! Forget even wearing socks or covering with even a paper thin sheet. If I caught it early enough, drinking tons of water and hitting the little white pills (I forget the name, starts with a "C") I could stop it...sometimes.

I haven't had a case of gout in over 6 years. Solution: Lose the weight (if you have any to lose) and eat/drink as healthy as you can. The severe nose bleeds and other <cough> intermittent personal issues also never returned (thank God if there is one), although the other problems may have been due to severe untreated hypertension.

Yeah, I don't plan to go back to that lifestyle.

#4082862 - 02/23/15 11:23 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Forgot to mention, I got it in both feet (not at the same time) and once in my ankle. I thought it was sprained, x-ray showed no break so they wrapped it as a sprain. I had the wrap off even before we got home, it was then I realized I had gout (only happened there once).

If it happens too many times in the same place, it can damage the joint (and I may have a little, I find treadmill running to be more comfortable these days than pavement). I remember at my worst getting it about every 3 months.

I have pics somewhere of this big red swollen bulge on the side of my foot, if I find them I'll post them.

Last edited by MarkG; 02/23/15 11:30 PM.
#4083440 - 02/24/15 11:08 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Yeah I need to loose at least fifty pounds. About two years ago on a good day I was down to 215lbs. I was doing sit ups and push ups. Started out barely doing ten. Then I got to where I could barely do twenty then I got to where I could do twenty no problem multiple times a day with a burst of 30 at the end of the night. That was a BIG deal for me. Probably hadn't weighed that since high school. I think a combo of stress, bad work environment and job that I've grown to hate plus a few bad habits has contributed to a bad cycle I've got myself into. I need help and I need out!

#4083454 - 02/24/15 11:30 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've told my life story here too many times, in summary...

Skinny wife didn't understand that we all don't have nuclear-stroked metabolisms, but she found out in her 30's that it doesn't last forever. Now she has to work hard on it too, we push each other every freaking day to make the right decisions, it's the only way I can keep it up consistently.

Unless you're single, but then at least you don't have someone potentially working against you, bringing home junk, fast food, sodas, evening of couch + TV.

I've slipped pretty badly since losing the weight in 2009 (although never back to where I started, about half), mainly from not moving enough because my healthy eating never completely faltered. But I'm trying to finish what I started this year, to hopefully put it in the past forever.

It's been a while since I've posted a personal pic on the "Face with a Name" thread, I'll post pics of us at the upcoming ballet and/or the Rush concert (club seats on the Alex side again, whoooo!).

#4083790 - 02/25/15 03:52 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland
Ah, gout. Good old gout...

I get it, my brother gets it, my dad gets it, my aunt gets it and my Granddad used to get it. Seems the family on my dad's has a genetic predisposition to it. First time I got it I thought I had broken my toe. Got this searing pain if it even lightly touched something. Couldnt even wear a sock for a week. Nasty. I tend to get it most often in my big toe and my ankle. My knee is screwed from years of skateboarding and I've had real problems with it recently. I think I've had a couple of gouty episodes with it already.

As for what cause it, welllll, that's the million dollar question. There are some things I know cause it for sure: lots of types of lagers and beers ( if I drink even two bottles of Peroni Nastro Azzuro I know I'll be virtually crippled the next day. Funnily enough the Italain domestic red labeled Peroni doesn't affect me at all, neither does their Gran Reserva.) New season lamb has a bad hit, which is annoying because lamb is one of my favourite things to eat, and anything with a lot of processed sugar, like fruit pasties, wine gums, etc also have a bad effect. Someone brought in a box of those 70s style sweets like Refreshers and sherbet dips to work before Christmas, almost couldn't walk for the first four or five days of the holidays because I was munching them down on tea breaks.

You know what helps? Over the last few years I was going to the gym 3-5 times a week and being really careful about what I ate. The gout disappeared entirely until the last year when I've kind of been really slacking at looking after myself. The first thing to come back along with a re-expanding waistline was the gout. And it came back bad. My brother gets allopurinol for his gout. I'd rather just get fit again and not eat crap than take a pill every day. And I HATE the gym.

Still, look on the bright side. At lest you don't get kidney stones like my aunt, grandad and I. Kidney stones are the only thing I know that can take your mind off gout pain. Mind you, kidney stones could probably take your mind off being shot in the chest. The. Worst. Pain. You. Will. Ever. Have. Apparently it's the same genetic disposition. Aren't I lucky? biggrin

#4083795 - 02/25/15 04:03 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've had kidney stones and will bear witness to the level of pain described.

However, I'll take them over gout.

One has morphine administered to them during a kidney stone incident. Almost makes it worth getting them.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4083796 - 02/25/15 04:04 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Yeah kidney stones scare me. Thankfully last time they checked me when I was getting gout there was no sign of it. A fellow I work with talked about getting a straw or tube shoved up his yeehaw so that he could later piss them out. Don't want that please.

#4083805 - 02/25/15 04:21 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I took this pic last night while on this thread, didn't get around to posting it...

This is what it takes to keep away the gout (for me), a good diet.

In both bowls (our standard salad):

cut spinach
tomato
avocado
fake crab (sometimes shrimp or grilled chicken)
boiled egg
Asian crunchy thingies
grated Colby cheese

Add to mine (more Mediterranean):

Sliced mushroom
Black olives
Artichoke hearts
Olive oil

Honey mustard dressing (Grey Poupon mixed with local honey)

++++++++++

Tonight (every Wednesday night) is our "fast food" night:

Both a 12 Subway Black Forest Ham on Honey Oat (add at home additional veggies like mushroom, avocado, etc.). Eat half tonight and save other half for lunch tomorrow, with a handful of Whole Foods veggie chips (or sweet potato "fries").

Friday nights is Sushi Night (my favorite).

++++++++++

My father has had kidney stones, holy hell they looked painful! I'm hoping to avoid that too.

#4083809 - 02/25/15 04:34 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Is it just me or does anyone else want to clean his laptop screen...

#4083817 - 02/25/15 05:02 PM Re: Gout [Re: Master]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Master
Is it just me or does anyone else want to clean his laptop screen...

Forgive me as I'm slow sometimes, are you talking about my pic?

If my screen looks dirty it's because my camera sucks, and I take low res pics for the board.

I can't make it any cleaner (same for my 15 year old desktop and all my other equipment, still looks brand new [even keyboard and mouse]). It's the only way I can tolerate old crusty technology, by at least having a super clean and fresh looking environment. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 02/25/15 05:05 PM.
#4083843 - 02/25/15 05:36 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I like the old gear MarkG. Brings up warm fuzzy feelings.

#4083847 - 02/25/15 05:38 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: Coot
Yeah kidney stones scare me. Thankfully last time they checked me when I was getting gout there was no sign of it. A fellow I work with talked about getting a straw or tube shoved up his yeehaw so that he could later piss them out. Don't want that please.

Stones are a real female dog. Extracting wisdom teeth without being put under would be real pleasurable compared to passing stones, especially the small ruff ones.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4083858 - 02/25/15 05:56 PM Re: Gout [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

Stones are a real female dog. Extracting wisdom teeth without being put under would be real pleasurable compared to passing stones, especially the small ruff ones.

Last time I had one was when I was on holiday in Sicily in 2009. I had a twinge of it before we left but I just assumed I'd past it. It reappeared with a vengeance when we were getting the bus from Palermo to Syracuse. I think driving right across the interior of the island must have bumped it loose. That's about 5 hours of my life I never want to have again. That horrible too-sore-to-sit-but-too-sore to stand pain isn't really suitable to bus travel..:D. Was fine the next day so I must have gotten rid of it OK. couldn't have been very big, which kind of makes the blinding pain even more scary.

#4083865 - 02/25/15 06:11 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Its the pictures with the two bowels. There is a smiley at the bottom of the laptop screen that looks like a dirt smudge biggrin

#4083867 - 02/25/15 06:14 PM Re: Gout [Re: Master]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Master
Its the pictures with the two bowels. There is a smiley at the bottom of the laptop screen that looks like a dirt smudge biggrin

Funny, I dont see any intestines next to the laptop. Maybe I'm missing something? wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4083871 - 02/25/15 06:20 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
rofl

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4083877 - 02/25/15 06:30 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

lol. It's time to retreat and regroup! You have not seen the last of me though PM!

#4083938 - 02/25/15 08:50 PM Re: Gout [Re: Coot]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
No Coot....that's one I don't have.

But if your talking about 'pain'....try a 9mm kidney stone. That'll set you back on your @ss, I can attest to that. I've had 3, all when I was in my 20's. I learned to drink a lot of water....all day. Keep the kidneys flushed, and never had another one. Kidney stones are the king of pain. Especially when they get around 8-9mm.
After 10mm they just remove them surgically. Or break them up with sound waves. Mine were all before the sound wave machine. Mine were all 'Calcium' stones, two 8mm and one 9mm. Took me 4-5 hours a day, for 4 days, to deliver the 9mm stone. Once it reaches your bladder it's fine. It's going through the urethra, from the kidney to the bladder, that hurts. It was...painful, rolling around on the bedroom floor. Even the morphine didn't touch it. Nothing would. I passed out once. It's quite an experience.

'Gout'....nope haven't had that one....'yet'.

Sounds like some good advice, on how to ease the pain here though.
Good luck smile

"Murphy's Law"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.