Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
#4080407 - 02/18/15 07:43 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
If this game models things right, occupying Switzerland should be an extremely costly effort for any invader (including Germany) and bind a lot of manpower and resources. A rational look at it shows that it's just not worth it. But of course, depending on the inner workings of HoI this may not be the case here.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4080424 - 02/18/15 10:14 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Originally Posted By: komemiute
But honestly I can't just declare war yet.
Look at the list of enemies...

If it wasn't a game I'd be really depressed.
Time to stop all that it's not aimed to war economy. Down and dirty, from now on.

Wait, wait...the list of enemies aka. German Allies includes Hungary, Japan, Manchukuo, Portugal, Shanxi, Nationalist China, Communist China, Guanxi Clique, Slovakia and Luxembourg.

Apart from ressources I'd say you can straight away discard Japan and the numerous Chinese factions for the time being, unless you want to send the Regia Marina into the Indian Ocean (why should you want to do that anyway?).

The only German ally which looks a bit stronger and is in the European vicinity is Hungary. Unless, of course, you encounter the secretly established Letzebuerger Panzerdivision equipped with the Maus-Panzer. wink

But take a look at the Allies as well. UK and USA are the obvious "heavyweights". And who knows what Uncle Joe is up to, he might feel twitchy too by now.

Just on paper this looks as already in 1940, at the latest 1941, Germany will reap a whirlwind.

So don't be depressed, there is light at the end of the tunnel. smile

#4080434 - 02/18/15 10:53 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Don't discard Japan so quickly, I hade already an instance of them capturing some terrain in Greece eek

#4080440 - 02/18/15 11:24 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
**Running Footsteps down a long narrow hall way**
**Clunk of of a large door catch Squeak of a loud unoiled door**

"Duce! Good news! France has defeated the German invasion!
"Goooood! Goooood! Everything is proceeding as planned."
**Running footsteps down a long hallway, a tentative knock.**
"Enter! Minion!"
**Guido's Assistant Alessandro's head appears, shortly followed by Alessandro.**
*Alessadro graciously sweeps to Guido's side, Whispers something and hands Guido a telegraph, before making a hasty retreat**
"Er Duce, Germoney has invaded France! Again!"
"Indeed? Their Pitiful band..."
**Alessandro appears again, sweeps up to Guido, hands him another telegraph.**
"Duce, Germany has invaded Switzerland."
"Good, Good! Exactly as I have forseen it."
"Er no, not quite, Duce."
"Guido, are you plannning an elaborate ruse?"
"No Duce, however the Nazis might be, they are invading along our border into Switzerland."
"What??! Hmm, Ok.... lets think about this in the most logical way.... Guido, the time has come! At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Nazis, at last we will have our revenge! Guido!
"Yes, Duce?"
"Mobilise the Army of the Republica Italia!!"
"At once, Duce!"

I'm running out of Italian names.
Help.

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4080666 - 02/18/15 08:26 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Very interesting developments! So far you've done very good: kept out of the war and built up your economic and military resources. Before that last update I'd have said "go for it", now I'd be a bit more careful. You really don't want a Panzerdivision rolling through Rome...

biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4081413 - 02/20/15 03:20 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I was overzealous-

I did something I abhor, which is playing for the curiosity and then not saving. That's not me, but I was terribly curious.
And in the end I learned the hard way that Italy is not only unready for War, but drastically so.
Most obvious are now the mistake I did in the past years of this AAR.

For a moment I even considered re-starting from scratch but it would be unfair.
Let's just say that I would do a whole LOT of things differently. I sat idle for far too long and didn't read all the hints I was given.
I was complacent and lazy.

This should change but I'm thinking it's unfair...
I'll be holding a poll in the community hall, for whoever wants to say her'his ideas- this AAR is just as mine as it's yours.

Let me know...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4081431 - 02/20/15 03:49 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

... I've reached a turning point.
Through a small unjustified trick (playing forward and then not saving) I've discovered how bad the situation really is.

Since many follower expressed their interest in my AAR I don't want to ruin anyone experience...
So my question is:

- Should I use the knowledge appraised as if through in-game spies* and change my course of action?

or

- Keep on playing like I know nothing and Gods my have mercy of my soul?

Should things be not too clear, please do not hesitate and post!
Komemiute,
over and out.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4081433 - 02/20/15 03:52 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

So- what should I do?

Hearts of Iron 3 AAR - Spies everywhere or not ?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/20/15 03:52 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4081454 - 02/20/15 04:45 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline

The Sticks, England.
"What is thy bidding, my Duce?"

Well tyrannical despots aside.

Have you heard of "Special Governmental Advisors and/or Consultants"?
Entire civil services are crammed with these idiots/experts all of whom have vastly conflicting ideals/views.

People have made entire careers out bullshitting, and shockingly, getting paid for it, even more shockingly actually very well paid for it, semi retired paid for it.

So Option 2 isn't that far from reality, is it now?
smile

*Jedi hand gesture*
If you haven't voted yet, you didn't see that. smile

Last edited by Comrade_Hedgehog; 02/20/15 04:46 PM.

But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4081459 - 02/20/15 05:03 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Rask Offline
Rask  Offline

I say continue playing and have fun with it. You're already on an alternate history path anyway, so why not see where the bombsgedroppe will lead you.
If it all goes down in flames and the Italians chase you out of their country with pitchforks then we all can have a good laugh and do what Hollywood does best in such situation: reboot the franchise and pretend nothing ever happened.

So Duce get back to work and see what the future has in store.

#4081471 - 02/20/15 05:34 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
You had a nightmare in a fitful sleep. The Fuhrer has his own astrologist, why wouldn't you accept divine guidance?
It is your game, after all. You explored a horrible path, and now that you know just how terrible it is, I see no point in becoming a slave to a self-imposed rule. Sure, if you absolutely want to apply game ethics with the rigidity of a Prussian officer, go ahead with it. On the other hand, YOU ARE ITALY!
If you absolutely wanted to knowingly go down in flames, maybe you should play ancient Greece.

Seriously. It's a game and you are not in a competition against other human players. You're committing a victimless crime (and as rarely as that is true, this time it really is). You play it for your own amusement, and I'm happy enough to be invited to look over your shoulder as you spend considerable time to write up this report.
Restarting from scratch might only be worth the time and effort if you discovered that you did some other terrible mistake early on and that you could have done FAR better by now if only you hadn't failed to do X in February 1936. If you would play the last three years more or less the same way, nobody will be any wiser.

#4081496 - 02/20/15 06:17 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Ssnake is right, just assume a passing squirrel told you about a horrible event on the horizon.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4081502 - 02/20/15 06:33 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

I voted with Rask. You've got to live with your "mistakes"... playing as Italy wasn't going to be easy, your choices so far haven't been obviously bad and maybe you can still turn it around?
Time-travel is impossible! Onwards!

And if you lose... so be it smile

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4081538 - 02/20/15 08:09 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
I go with Ssnake, who elaborately summed it up. But really, it is your game and a good read I'm tremendously enjoying.

#4081550 - 02/20/15 09:14 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Keep at it. I'm enjoying seeing how the mechanics of the game work and how the process unfolds.

But by all means, do what pleases you. We are just observers.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4081553 - 02/20/15 09:19 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Thanks guys.

I think we can observe soon some continuation of this. smile
And may Freya smile shine upon our troops in battle.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4082327 - 02/22/15 10:19 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
So when are you going to give us something ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4082343 - 02/22/15 10:52 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Heh, you are right but today my daughter turned four (she's growing so fast frown ) and for the whole weekend we were engaged in extraordinary activities to prepare presents and stuff. smile

I am sorry but it was totally worth it- playing right now, incidentally.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4082474 - 02/23/15 06:39 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

*Moved to the latest post... *

Last edited by komemiute; 02/23/15 11:30 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4082492 - 02/23/15 08:42 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline

The Sticks, England.
"Welcome Lord Guido!"
"You may dispense with the pleasentries, Giancarlo, I am here to put you back on schedule."
"But Lord Guido, The Duce asks for the impossible!"
"Perhaps you can tell him that when he arrives."
"The Duce is coming here??!! Then we shall double our efforts!"
"I hope so commander, for your sake. The Duce is not as. Forgiving, as I am."
Storm Trooper:
"Ha!"
"Who said that??!"
*Entire parade points at Stormtrooper, Lord Guido extends a hand.*
"Akk!!"
*Having disposed of the impudent wretch, Lord Guido sweeps from the hanger, swishing his elaborate cape behind him*
Stormtroopers sing:
*Buh! buh! buh! barba-buh! barba-buh!*

Looks like there has been a promotion.
smile

(You could also read: Giancarlo = Komemiute. biggrin )

Last edited by Comrade_Hedgehog; 02/23/15 08:48 AM.

But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.