Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4071182 - 01/29/15 02:18 PM Different Performance in Campaigns,,,  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Certainly this Subject was discussed here already before, but, nevertheless, I would like to try over again if someone can give me some good advices.

I am playing with a I5-2500k CPU, overclocked to 4200 MHZ, a brand new Geforce GTX 970 and 8 GB RAM.

I've set the following Workshop Settings: 5-4-4-5-5, Terrain Textures Normal, Forest Density on Low, Air Activity on Light, Aircraft Skins on Normal, Sun Glare off.

So for my Hardware these are not very high Settings, I think.

Latest NVIDIA-Driver, AA at 4x, Supersampling off, but I am playing with DSR at 2351x1350. My Monitor is full HD with Standard-Resolution 1920x1080. V-Sync is on.

I am playing a Career in early 1916. Very smooth Gameplay, everything is fine, even with 16x Acceleration I have 56 FPS. Liqud and smooth, very good!

But if I start a Career in 1917 or 1918, I have Stutters, very obviously. It doesn't matter how I tweak the Graphics, even with everything on 1 I have these Issues. FPS are still constantly at 60, but I have These Stutters.

I know it is due to the Fact of the higher Activity in this Period, and it must be much more calculated at the same Time. More Flights, Ground Units etc.

I do not understand this, nevertheless, with my Hardware there might not be this Problem.

Who has gained similar Experiences and can help me? winkngrin

#4071651 - 01/30/15 01:07 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well since no one has stepped up in 24 hours I will give you my opinion.
This is just based on experience, weak tech knowledge, and following the threads for years.

Opinion: You have a monster system, certainly for WOFF; WOFF settings set fairly high and 56 FPS at 16x says much.
If you are having stutters even with everything set back to 1's, with your system, I think that the issue is not related to WOFF DIRECTLY - certainly not to increased campaign activity.
I have a pretty good system and am at 60 FPS in 1917 dropping to 45-55 in 1918 depending on what is happening on screen. Once in a blue moon (like maybe once a mission) do I get a obvious "stutter" in flight after the initial TrackIR 360 sweep at start up.

Since some with monster machines have stutter issues and others with weaker machines don't that leads us back to your computer.
1) First thing I would try, to experiment, is to dial back your resolution and try the "native" resolution for your monitor. And what is DSR?
2) What is your OS?
3) Have you tried to shut down unnecessary programs that run in the background when you play WOFF? I use a program called Game Booster when I play. It really does nothing for my FPS shutting down unneeded services and programs but I have virtually no stutter issues.
4) What is your anti-virus program? Some, even when turned off or disabled via their control panel, are huge system hogs and are still running processes in the background.

Just some ideas. With a zillion different combos of hardware, software, and drivers, a "one size fits all" answer has never been produced here that I have seen.

#4071996 - 01/31/15 06:00 AM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Thanks for your Answer!

It seems that nobody else has these Problems, or nobody else seems to be interested.

I am trying to tweak this Game now since his first Release 2013.
Yes, I am also using Game Booster since Years, I am using Process Lasso,which is a great small Program, I have tried dozens of Combinations between the Game and the GPU-Driver, I have tried smaller Resolutions, but that doesn't help either.
Playing with no AA , no Anisotropic Filter and with very simple Graphics doesn't really help. It makes some Difference indeed, but how does the Game look like then? My Eyes hurt when I see something like that.

My Operating System is Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with Service Pack 1.

I never tried to disable my Antivirus-Program (Avira Free Antivirus), I will try that and see what will happen.
DSR is a Shortcut for Dynamic Super Relolution. It's a new kind of Anti-Aliasing for newer NVIDIA-Cards. You can play with a very high Resolution, and your GPU will downscale that Resolution to the native Resolution of your Monitor. You don't need high AA-Settings anymore. 2xAA even without Supersampling is enough. You'll have fantastic Graphics. Of course this new DSR-thing is only for heavy High-End Cards.

My Opinion in addition after one and a half Year is easy: My System simply doesn't like WOFF. Something like that can seem to appear, I have surrendered myself to that.
I have put my Focus on other good and new Simulations, which run fine even with very high Settings, and do not break my Nerves.
I have also returned back to old OFF Phase 3, which runs fine and liquid, it's still a fantastic Simulation, and it makes fun. I've never had such Problems with that Game, simply because you have much more Possibilities there to tune the Game perfectly to your Computer.
WOFF doesn't have this Feature anymore (for Reasons I NEVER understood), I have given firm Graphic Settings, these cannot be refined, and if the Player can't get this Game to run liquid, he can, however, act precious little against that.

I am going to leave WOFF and also leave this Place for good. It doesn't make much more Sense to give so much Effort. BTW: I didn't need to go to work this last Week, so I have spent every Day up to 8 Hours for WOFF and worked with it, and please do not ask me for all the things I have done, they are too many, I have read so many Tips here and long ago in the FAQ's, I already know them by my Heart. And it was a waste of time.

Again, thanks for your Answer, I really appreciate that. Have a nice Weekend!

Last edited by Andy73; 01/31/15 06:20 AM.
#4072013 - 01/31/15 10:16 AM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Don't give up on WOFF forever! Take a break for now.
Go back to it every now and again. Your answer is very simple...if we just knew what it was!
Over time your system will change, a setting, a driver, maybe some minor thing in WOFF itself with some patch, and you will be flying like greased lightning. I may be biased but WOFF is too good to give up on.

#4072048 - 01/31/15 01:27 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Andy73

I am going to chime in here and say I agree with Duke. I would like to make one suggestion.
If time permits and u feel adventurous I would recommend you experiment and swap out your vid card and replace it with your previous card for a trial test. If the tezt works then at least you will know that all the other system components are not the problem and you will be able to focus your attention on the new vid card.

I know you are frustrated right now so give yourself some time to rgain your sanity.

I would love to see you resolve this.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4072052 - 01/31/15 02:00 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
1. DSR is nothing more than the new form of Super Sampling (and does the exact same thing as the old version) and you take just as great a hit as if you has SS on through other means. Turn if off and see what your FPS are then.

2. DSR and 4AA is equivalent to SS plus 4AA, and even my NVidia 780 Ti card would choke with that in 1917 or 1918. Back off your graphic settings and see what happens (especially since you only have a 970 card). WOFF is a demanding game, but has gotten a lot better with AnKor's new DX9 shaders in WOFF 2.0, that transferred the graphic load to the GPU from the CPU.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4072055 - 01/31/15 02:13 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Panama Red
1. DSR is nothing more than the new form of Super Sampling (and does the exact same thing as the old version) and you take just as great a hit as if you has SS on through other means. Turn if off and see what your FPS are then.

2. DSR and 4AA is equivalent to SS plus 4AA, and even my NVidia 780 Ti card would choke with that in 1917 or 1918. Back off your graphic settings and see what happens (especially since you only have a 970 card). WOFF is a demanding game, but has gotten a lot better with AnKor's new DX9 shaders in WOFF 2.0, that transferred the graphic load to the GPU from the CPU.

Thanks for adding this info I feel for the guy since he has been trying so hard.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4072059 - 01/31/15 02:31 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Andy, keep working the issue because WOFF is worth the effort.

With my rig ( below ) I play at "all 5's" with about 60fps alone and 50 fps in a dog fight.

Good luck. CW3SF

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4072071 - 01/31/15 03:39 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
By the way, did you try my OFF3 Wingman Aircraft mod ???

It is designed exactly for this sort of situation, by lessening the GPU workload by using lower Res wingmen planes from OFF3. It only uses the older 3D models for all AI planes (not you plane), so all the newer WOFF FM's, DM's, etc. files are still used for all planes.

Even on my PC with an OC'ed i7 3970 & GTX 780 Ti, it makes a difference in FPS in 1917/1918.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4072140 - 01/31/15 07:29 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Good call PR.
I was just coming back here for that recomendation.
With his system it is something real simple. Problem being there are a couple dozen simple things it could be!

#4072248 - 02/01/15 01:44 AM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I have Six core AMD CPU at 3.3ghz, 8 gig memory, 2gig R270x AMD card and at 1920x1080 53353, normal skins, normal terrain, low forest and air activity realistic, x8 supersampling (supersampling is really needed using an AMD card I find), x16 AF in 1917 and 1918 over Flanders I can be as low as 25 to 30 FPS. Over Flanders front in 17 and 18 can be a real resource hog esp if there is a battle going on at the time.

I think your issue is def the resolution. WHy not lower it and then increase other aspects. I reckon you'll get a much better gaming experience.

Last edited by Wodin; 02/01/15 01:47 AM.
#4072441 - 02/01/15 05:52 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
why not lower the ground objects and aircraft that are not / will not have anything to do with your mission.
I have asked this a yr ago or so if wit would be possible to reduce these things in a mod or something to that effect.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4072449 - 02/01/15 06:09 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
You can always dumb down the detail but with his machine (56 FPS at 16x TC) he shouldn't have too.
It's something with his computer I am thinking - something small and easy - once it's found!

#4073693 - 02/04/15 02:30 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: lederhosen]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: lederhosen
why not lower the ground objects and aircraft that are not / will not have anything to do with your mission.
I have asked this a yr ago or so if wit would be possible to reduce these things in a mod or something to that effect.

That's exactly my Problem.

After tweaking around with this Game some more Days, I have found out that it certainly has something to do with that.

I can fly a Campaign in Summer 1916, with very high Settings, AA at highest, Ground Detail on High, Air Activity on Medium and so on, and I don't have a Single Stutter, not at all, not even if I am flying over Airfields or whatsoever. This is due to the Fact of the lower Activity in this Period.

But in 1917 or 1918 I can not play without Problems. THE ACTIVITY IS MUCH TOO HIGH IN THAT PERIOD!

This high Activity might be good for Immersion, but I really have to say:

I am not interested in 30 Trucks who are driving on the Ground.
I am not interested in 50 or 60 Planes who are flying at the same time, and I do not even see them.

I am interested in Planes, who CROSS MY PATH !!!

I don't know who had this great Idea to increase the Activity to this high Level, but it's not for everyone's Taste.
Of course most Players do not have these Problems, you lucky Guys, you have a great Computer which is perfectly tuned.
There seems to be a big Problem with my Rig, of course. But in my Opinion it has something to do with this high Activity, either!

Last edited by Andy73; 02/04/15 02:36 PM.
#4073700 - 02/04/15 02:52 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well yes there certainly appears to be a correlation between campaign activity, your machine, and the stutters.
Interesting though you get it in 1917. I don't see any effect till 1918 and then it's about a 10 FPS (average) drop but no stutters. Our machines are roughly equivalent (though I have more RAM) but your card is faster then mine.

So processing more activity, campaign-wise, leads us back CPU since I believe that is handling everything off-screen.
I am mid post here so I can't go back to your OP. Sorry.
Didn't you indicate you were running several CPU "tweaks" - overclocking, Process Lasso, etc?
I guess at this point I would go back to a "stock" CPU and see what happens then.
And feel free to tell me to STFU if my suggestions are annoying. Just some ideas as there would seem to be no obvious reason you are having these issues.

#4073718 - 02/04/15 03:47 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I get micro stutters in some late 1918 campaigns, but not in others.
FPS are usually about 10 lower in all late 1918 campaigns.

#4073727 - 02/04/15 04:03 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Hmmm...how late is "late"?
Might check it out.

And on a "game philosophy" issue I, personally, would rather have realistic campaign activity, and have to turn my settings down, then have a "dumbed down" campaign experience and 60 FPS. But that is just me.

Stutters, irregardless of settings, is of course a different story.

#4073735 - 02/04/15 04:26 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Mid October onward is when I've experienced micro stutters in some campaigns. Mostly just one campaign with the RFC 43

#4074315 - 02/05/15 09:43 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes PC's are wonderful and a pain.
Firstly I would remove all extra stuff,
process lasso,
game booster,
DSR, <--- !
Overclocking, run bog standard clock and memory setting to check.
Disable as many background tasks as possible.
free AV I personally dislike usually not the best performance-wise even when "disabled" the filter can be active etc)
Make sure you HD is defragged.
Check for any spyware (use both SpyBot and Malwarebytes).
registry clean with CCleaner,
Make sure it's fast Harddrive that WOFF is on.
Check CPU throttling isn't on in BIOS. Overclocking may work, but it's possible it's not always fine on yor system (some other component overheating on motherboard, cooling not 100% etc.
Stuff like that. There's a lot in the FAQ too section 20) - make sure you try all of it

Try vsync on too and check your monitor has it's own drivers installed properly.
One thing very overlooked is sound card.. make sure that is using the latest drivers for it. Realtek can use more up to date from the website than the motherboard ones if you have that.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4074529 - 02/06/15 01:55 PM Re: Different Performance in Campaigns,,, [Re: Andy73]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
This could be an endless discussion in guessing, here in my country we always say "meten is weten" [Use google translator]

So what I always do is to run RoF/Clod/Woff and now also MAW with the afterburner/riva tool. This overclocking tool has a nice ad-on for showing, all kind of hardware load/temp/FPS on-screen, while playing. So while playing you can determine what is going on, like a HD that is overcooking, or my FPS is dropping while my GPU load is going 100%
Afterburner can be downloaded at afterburner this software can be used for ALL AMD and nVidia Vcards.

This software can be contaminated to HWinfo this is a extension for afterburner with brings you more on-screen info from your hardware.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.