Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4070195 - 01/27/15 07:16 PM OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right.  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I'm on a rant..

WTF... Once again, the Press has to sensationalize a routine Nor'Eastern Blizzard into a colossal Armageddon like disaster, as if the world will implode.

Been there done that... 18" of the white stuff, shoveled like last year, and the year before.. etc.. etc. I admit, somewhere in one of those piles in my front yard is my arse buried from shoveling, but really.. Storm of the Century??? Come'on man. It's 18 freakin' inches.. we got more last year.. and the year before.. Buffalo got 7 feet dumped on them in one night. They're still alive.. but now they have Rex Ryan. Oh well...

New words the Press has made up for typical North Atlantic weather I've seen since birth.
Super Storm - a freakin' Hurricane... we get them.. we get them often... we get our arses kicked.
Nor'Easter - a decent storm.. strong winds, lots of rain - usually happens in November - January then March - April. Trees fall because the ground is usually saturated, otherwise it's just a normal storm. No news to report.
Polar Vortex - WTF?? Jeeze, it's just cold air. The Jet Stream drops a little. It's not like Canada has imploded and is pulling in the Tri-State area with it. It's winter.. it gets cold.. real cold.. wow.. rocket science.
Storm of the Century - it's a blizzard.. that's all.. a blizzard... we get them every year. Jeeze... it lasts 1 day, usually sunny the next...followed by the dreaded Polar Vortx. No power lost.. nothing. Just a lot of blowing snow. Been gettin' 'em for Centuries.
El Nino - Some crazy arsed phenomenon that happens in Mexico... has nothing to do with us here in the NE... it gets hot and humid every summer. Been that way for ages.. why we have to name it after a small child, I have no idea.
La Nina - His sister.. I don't know.. girls get pissed when they're not included. WTF.. now we have La Nina.. my sisters name is Nina.. she drove many a man to drink... I get it..
Dog Days of Summer - Huh?? This is the last few weeks of Summer that is usually hot as hell. If I was a dog, I'd shave myself and sit in a fountain for weeks. Nothing dog about it. A dog is man's best friend.. not three weeks of 100% Humidity, 95 Deg and Hazy. So hot you can't sweat or cool off. So hot that I toss my wife out of the bed and sleep with the Air Conditioner by my side. Why place a black mark like that on a fun, furry friend?? What the hell is wrong with these people??
Indian Summer - Non-Politically correct description for an extended summer, usually lasts into late October. By then you are hating summer as it screws up Halloween. Can't wear a cool costume if you're dripping with sweat. What is has to do with the American Indian, I don't know, but I imaging since we can't call the Washington Redskins, the Redskins, I assume the Indian Summers will end soon as well.

And there are more I missed for sure..

Last edited by OvStachel; 01/27/15 07:24 PM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4070197 - 01/27/15 07:20 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Heh, I hear Bahstun is getting slammed though!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4070199 - 01/27/15 07:23 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

LOL

Originally Posted By: OvStachel
.. but now they have Rex Ryan. Oh well...

LOL!!!

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4070206 - 01/27/15 07:41 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Hahahahaha!!! Mmuahahahahahaaa!!!
Wonderful rant, OvS - I hope a weight is off yer heart now!

Our private TV channels are following more and more that American way of kooky news reports.
I stopped watching them. Hell, what low-evel IQ do they think we have?
They are breeding mutant couch potatoes who wouldn't even wink if a gasoline truck would run
right into their house - they'd try to become part of the show and get interviewed!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4070215 - 01/27/15 07:55 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
News media = a business designed to make money by sensationalizing everything.
Remember that and you will understand everything they do.
Why I don't watch it.

#4070220 - 01/27/15 08:11 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
Wayfarer Offline
Wayfarer  Offline

Near Birmingham U.K.
Uhm ... as someone with a masters degree in climatology, dare I point out that 'Polar Vortex', does have have a genuine meaning in climate studies to describe fairly continual circulation patterns around the poles. It is, however, just the sort of term the press likes to abuse and misuse when they get hold of it ... which is also annoying.

Last edited by Wayfarer; 01/27/15 08:15 PM.
#4070233 - 01/27/15 08:30 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Agreed, Duke. Loved it, OvS, and 100% agreed. Olham, I apologize on behalf of all intelligent Americans (and me, too!) for inflicting the mind-numbing garbage that is 99.98% of American TV, on those that we call "friends".

It's like this in almost all facets of American discourse, and it makes me sick. Everything is sure to cause apocalyptic consequences; Party "A"'s proposal will end freedom as we know it; Party "B" will bankrupt the country, and there is not intelligent conversation to be had.

If a man is guilty of the slightest mishap, he is black at heart, the incarnation of Satan himself; if someone says "be careful" to an old lady as she is about to cross the street, they're ready to give them a gold medal for heroism, and treat them as though they'd swam her from the sinking Titanic all the way to New York harbor on their back.

It's a shameless grab to get your attention (and money) everywhere you turn, and if not that, they'd rather be safe and predict too much (and grab viewers), than under-predict and get blamed for killing women and children.

To understand so much of American life these days, you simply have to follow the money. It's nauseating.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4070237 - 01/27/15 08:36 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: HumanDrone]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Olham, I apologize on behalf of all intelligent Americans (and me, too!) for inflicting
the mind-numbing garbage that is 99.98% of American TV, on those that we call "friends".

Oh, it seems to me that our private channels follow American TV by their own choice - not your fault.
The USA are always the big example.
Fortunately, some of our channels show other sides of America, which are more worth exploring.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4070244 - 01/27/15 08:49 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: Olham]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thank you, but what gets me is how little choice the consumer seems to have, both in your country and mine. Our cable bills fund this commercial-laden junk. We have to pay for 100 channels of garbage just to get at the few that actually have something worth watching - if you can even find it to know that it's being televised. The "noise level" is just too high - or maybe I should say, it's like trying to find choice seashells while a tsumami of flotsam and debris is rushing by.

And I'd rather be WOFF'ing, anyway - I don't have time enough for a flight or a quick TV program, either!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4070257 - 01/27/15 09:10 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: vonBaur]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: vonBaur
LOL

.. but now they have Rex Ryan. Oh well...

LOL!!!

I can deal with the 7 feet of snow, but not Rex Ryan.
The Bills have enough troubles

#4070264 - 01/27/15 09:20 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

I'm on a rant..

WTF... Once again, the Press has to sensationalize a routine Nor'Eastern Blizzard into a colossal Armageddon like disaster, as if the world will implode.

My employer was expecting the worst, and took major steps to mitigate the damage if it came to that. The potential is/was there to inflict a great deal of pain and inconvenience to major population centers.

Sorry you're getting "spun up" over this...as Douglas Adams wrote in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...Don't Panic!

#4070278 - 01/27/15 09:42 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: Olham]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Olham
Our private TV channels are following more and more that American way of kooky news reports.
I stopped watching them. Hell, what low-level IQ do they think we have?

You have to realize that there's a vast difference between American News and European News. In Europe, the news is designed to inform; in America it's to entertain. If you counted the number of words spoken in a half hour newscast (including the commercials) you'd barely have enough to fill two full-length columns on the front page of a big city newspaper. This handful of words is scrambled up in dramatic music and pulsating, flashy computerized graphics and read to you (off a Tele-Prompter) by two attractive people. Always a man and a woman. He says one or two sentences, then she says, then he. These are not journalists. They have not investigated and written the stories. They are actors. I call them 'The-Pretty-People-Who-Read-You-The-Headlines". Everything is reported with breathless intensity. Every event stands on the tipping point of disaster. The more important a story is, the closer it's placed to the end of the broadcast so you have to watch 28 minutes of garbage to get 2 minutes of what you may be interested in. Were it otherwise, you might turn it off, or, worse yet, change the channel. American TV News is almost indistinguishable from Game Shows. When the Malaysian Airliner disappeared, CNN became the laughing stock of TV News as they kept the story alive and at the forefront of their reporting, only to have to conclude (every evening) that there wasn't any new developments, in fact, nobody knew anything at all. But stay tuned, more on this at 11:00! (Cue Music!)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4070302 - 01/27/15 10:15 PM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
The European media are simply more plausible liars.

#4070341 - 01/28/15 12:06 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well speaking of "pretty people" I do see the origin of the phrase "Fox News Hot"!
Except that's got nothing to do with the purpose of the news.
They will take one current news topic, sensationalize it for days and, when ratings drop slightly, switch the latest hot button issue and repeats endlessly.
It pains me to say this, as it was one of the founding battle cries of this country, but mass media - and I define that broadly - is going to be the ruin of the country. Sometimes I wonder if "free speech" is worth the decay it causes. Bet though the Founding Fathers never could have foreseen this circus. They would have thought the American people were too smart for such obvious stupidity but I guess they were wrong.
But it is just a symptom of a lot of other issues that I could fill pages with. The entitlement society, and the number of dregs it supports, is prime example #1. Don't get me going...I come here to relax.

#4070343 - 01/28/15 12:19 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
OlPaint Offline
An Ace in de Skys
OlPaint  Offline
An Ace in de Skys

Ohio
It is called the "twenty-four hour news cycle". The "talking heads" have to stand out in the freezing cold snow storm to impress us with their bravery to earn their pay.

OlPaint

Within this vale
Of toil
And sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin - use
Burma-Shave
#4070345 - 01/28/15 12:26 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Eh...I'm just grumpy.
I am on a "business trip" all week and can't play WOFF till the weekend. I am usually too busy anyway to get much stick time in during the week but it's at least nice to have the possible option! Makes me feel better.
And with "free speech" it's all the way or not at all....unfortunately.

#4070348 - 01/28/15 12:34 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
RickityCrate1 Offline
RickityCrate1  Offline

Hawaii, U.S.A.
OVS, I am totally with you on this. I was just remarking to a friend at work today that in the Sixties we had what were called rain showers, remember? Now if there is a drop forecast it's called a storm! EEEEGADS!!!! They make big deal about a tenth of an inch. The bestest forecast is the Hawaii forecast, little mention of sun or rain, mainly it's about the surf.

Last edited by RickityCrate1; 01/28/15 12:55 AM.

#4070351 - 01/28/15 12:36 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

thumbsup to all of the above. Don't even get me started!!!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4070357 - 01/28/15 12:53 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: MFair]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: MFair
thumbsup to all of the above. Don't even get me started!!!

Man, I'm telling ya.

Screenshots! That's what we need!
Screenshots always cheer everyone up.
How bout it Dev's? How bout a couple from the secret "Every aircraft and squadron from 1914-18" patch?

#4070364 - 01/28/15 01:20 AM Re: OT - I hate the Press.... Storm of the Century... yeah..right. [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
LOL! Well at least I can sleep better knowing it's not just me that feels this way... LOL!

Yes, I know there is truly such a thing as a Polar Vortex, but does the general public need to use the term... we sound stupid trying to be smart.

And now back to WOFFing... smile

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM