Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
#4064913 - 01/17/15 12:27 AM Re: Cockpits improvement program *** [Re: thealx]  

Same I thought, thanks, but it would be fantastic to fly with 16 or more Sthurm sigh

#4064943 - 01/17/15 01:43 AM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
NutsnBolts Offline
Needs moar Mi-24
NutsnBolts  Offline
Needs moar Mi-24

York, UK
True, but the newer versions aren't as sexy. Retractable landing gear FTW biggrin

<Insert witty sig block here>
#4065002 - 01/17/15 05:17 AM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

as I know, Ataka can be used by any Hind version (maybe after some equipment adjustment but anyway), except Mi-24A and Mi-24B - they have older guidance system. but mounting 8 tubes on one pylon possible only for newer modifications. also in Mi-24V on front Operator's panel there is 8-positions selector switch that should be set to proper position before missile launch (doesn't work yet), so it's guidance system limitation.

I think Shturm is still here just because it was original idea - make aircraft from 80's, maybe some day Mi-35 will be added with all it's stuff like MFDs, FLIR, 23mm cannon and 16 Atakas on the short wings.

#4065183 - 01/17/15 06:34 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

from here I will post lists of changes, but these developing updates will be available only for people who participating in testing.

- avionics levels renamed to Simple, Advanced and Realistic
- AH64D with advanced avionics included. also it's issues fixed: impossible to lock on target with any EO systems, manual radar key enable only ground radar, impossible to create PFZs, EO image as TSD underlay doesn't render properly. some global radar functions was imported, it's possible that some issues appears;
- Non-directional beacons (NDB) global system can be used to navigate with ADF (Apache and Hind only). you can say it's useless, but I think it's interesting way to get some skills in radio navigation. old waypoints navigation is still available for Simple and Advanced levels, just move ARK-15 mode selector to FRAME position.
Click to reveal..

there is several basic methods to navigate via ADF:

1. move to the NDB. most simple way - configure ADF receiver on known frequency of NDB transmitter and move to direction where ADF needle is pointed.

2. move from the NDB. before navigation you should determinate azimuth of the NDB relative to destination point. it's easy to do - go to map screen and move pointer over proper NDB (keysite, ratio transmitter or ship). you will see azimuth angles with values, find destination point and remember it's approximate angle. now you should take position, where ADF needle will point to proper azimuth value. after you reached that position, move to opposite from ADF direction (needle will point 180* relative to helicopter cource). it will be good idea to remember current magnetic azimuth in case you will lost NDB signal.

3. if two or more NDBs available in same time, helicopter position can be calculated. for that configure two channels on available stations and find their azimuth relative to current helicopter position. after that go to map screen, highlight one of the stations and move cursor over another, you will see two nets at once. imagine lines from NDBs with known angles, intersection of these lines will be your current position.

- HMS acquisition system enabled for Hind. for Advanced avionics level it's like old gun pointer - nose gun pointing in same direction as cockpit camera. for Simple level it works like for other helicopters - with automatic targeting and additional indication, also can be used for missiles guidance (necessary systems should be enabled anyway);
- burst size for Hind's nose gun is working (on front-left Operator's panel).

Last edited by thealx; 01/18/15 07:24 PM.
#4065646 - 01/18/15 06:23 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
GAFflyer Offline
GAFflyer  Offline

Nordrhein Westfahlen
Ok, so i'm trying the ADF out as I type here.
First off it works!
However with the ARK-15 set to ANT the needle will freeze in the last position relative to the Aircraft. ARK-15 set to COMP will make it work like it should be.
Is there any way to return to the "point to next Waypoint mode"?
I found 2 things to add / improve: The Pointer should have an OFF position (usually the 3 or 9 o'clock position). Right now, when you have lost a station the needle just freezes and you have no way of knowing that you have lost it.
Second: I find it impossible to see the Freq. of the Homebase since the "W" Waypoint overlaps it and you cant select it.

#4065658 - 01/18/15 06:42 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

Quote:
However with the ARK-15 set to ANT the needle will freeze in the last position relative to the Aircraft. ARK-15 set to COMP will make it work like it should be.
Is there any way to return to the "point to next Waypoint mode"?

are you playing on Realistic level? waypoint navigation disabled in this case. it's cheating =)

didn't know about off position, thanks.

I noticed that too. it's possible to "catch" it by moving cursor close to icon border, but it's quite hard. I will try to make it easier.

#4065663 - 01/18/15 06:50 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
NutsnBolts Offline
Needs moar Mi-24
NutsnBolts  Offline
Needs moar Mi-24

York, UK
The inability to select bases beneath the WP problem is as old as the game, I think, so a solution would be welcome smile However, for now, if you go into your Briefing screen you should see the base you start from, and be able to click on the text to find the NDB freq.

Small bug: for me (playing on Advanced), the ARK-15's Antenna and Compass modes appear to function identically. Switching to Frame allows use of WPs, rather than Antenna.

Do we have a way to spot the range of a station - or is that indicated by the radii emanating from the station itself? Playing around in the Aleutians, I found that I was down to one fix (supplied by Transmitter #1), and whatever other station I tried to tune channel 2 to, including my own home base, the pointer never moved. At the time, the compass was in Compass mode, and I tried three separate stations to see what happened. In all cases, the signal from Transmitter #1 remained strong and worked, while that from any other station wasn't available. Didn't try channel reversing, come to think of it...

#4065667 - 01/18/15 07:05 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
GAFflyer Offline
GAFflyer  Offline

Nordrhein Westfahlen
Yes I'm on realistic. Makes sense to disable the waypoint funcion, so you have to rely on the map. Oh Btw, is the DISS actually working, and if yes could you make a quick explanation how it works?

For the NDB: Maybe you can make it so that the Hombase Frequency is already set in the Receiver?

#4065669 - 01/18/15 07:06 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

wow, my mistake. Compass will make ADF work naturally, Antenna will play received sound when SPU-8 mode selector in ARK-1 position (Morse code wasn't made yet, only noise will be heard), Frame mode will switch ADF to waypoint navigation mode.

range of stations - length of the lines from it (on the map screen). it's static but it has LOS check - landscape can block the signal.

Quote:
whatever other station I tried to tune channel 2 to, including my own home base, the pointer never moved

I suppose you not forget to move CHANNEL switch to second position?

Quote:
Hombase Frequency is already set in the Receiver

I like it. will do.

Last edited by thealx; 01/18/15 07:33 PM.
#4065676 - 01/18/15 07:23 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

DISS is working. currently only one waypoint navigation mode is available - map always has direction from prev waypoint to current (exception is taking off - some strange things happens and it has random direction). later I will make another mode - all checkpoints on the one map sheet ("back to the zero" or something like that - counters will have zero values when you'll return to base), there is no need to correct caret position every time you pass waypoint.

DISS complex is most hard-to-use device on my opinion. you should set to zero all counter at the beginning of the route and set caret to your actual position (home base). after that counters will constantly increase their values (relative to direction of current route - forward/backward/left/right). map caret will move with same rate. problem is - movement calculations has some error (depends on current landscape, type of surface and what roll/pitch angles has helicopter). let's think you get to the next waypoint (you are lucky!) and map sheet will be changed to next one. after that for realistic level you should move map caret to new position manually, for Advanced it will be moved automatically. if you will forget to do it - you will lost quite soon.
for Simple level it much easier - map caret show you current position doesn't matter what counters values are.

Last edited by thealx; 01/18/15 07:29 PM.
#4065685 - 01/18/15 07:39 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  

How do you know all this?
You have access to military instructions? Does any other sources?

I mean, all you do with your general knowledge(not from helicopters), or you know that from manual for mi24?
(Sorry for noob question)

#4065686 - 01/18/15 07:39 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
GAFflyer Offline
GAFflyer  Offline

Nordrhein Westfahlen
Originally Posted By: thealx

it's static but it has LOS check - landscape can block the signal.

Technically that is not entirely correct. Since the NDB has a much lower Frequency than TACAN or VOR the waves it emits are following the terrain features. High mountains or other Obstacles would lead to wrong readings but not loss of signal.
But I guess for our purpose the LOS Check works well enough smile

#4065692 - 01/18/15 07:46 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
GAFflyer Offline
GAFflyer  Offline

Nordrhein Westfahlen
Ah, So it is basically an INS or NCNS (non cooperative navigation system) as you russians like to call it biggrin
(I studied a lot of russian Aircraft lately especially an AN-24 for X-Plane)
Does the ctrl-5 Command still set the carret on the present position in realistic mode? If yes you should disable it aswell.

#4065699 - 01/18/15 08:00 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

Quote:
How do you know all this?
You have access to military instructions? Does any other sources?

yes, I'm reading military manuals. no, I don't use any sources and making all code myself. I'm reading something, barely understand what it's about, trying to make it, reading again, making it better and so on. it's infinite process especially after real pilots gives some advices - I'm always misunderstood something. or even mistakes in manuals, it happens too. I have some knowledge in electrics and electronics, it helps a little.

Quote:
Obstacles would lead to wrong readings but not loss of signal

exactly. same for other special conditions. will make some attempts to simulate it later.

for civil navigation double stations are common - far and close to airport, so it's possible approach runway with known azimuth from proper position. but all of them has same standard.

this key moves caret in center position, so I think it's fair to leave it.

Last edited by thealx; 01/18/15 08:01 PM.
#4065707 - 01/18/15 08:20 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
NutsnBolts Offline
Needs moar Mi-24
NutsnBolts  Offline
Needs moar Mi-24

York, UK
Do the DISS counters increment in all avionics difficulty modes, or just Realistic? On Advanced, I'm not noticing any increment/decrement with the counters enabled.

And yes, I did try switching channels; to be honest, though, I'm not quite sure what the switch does. As I understand it, when one looks at the radiocompass, the two pointers should show the directions of the two beacons to which their receivers are tuned; what does the channel switch do?

ETA: Also, it should ne noted that the loss of channel 2 signal occurred while I was flying over open water, with no terrain obstacles that I could spot between me and the transmitter.

Last edited by NutsnBolts; 01/18/15 08:33 PM.

#4065713 - 01/18/15 08:38 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
GAFflyer Offline
GAFflyer  Offline

Nordrhein Westfahlen
Well the small pointy arrow is the bearing pointer. so it points to your NDB or waypoint all the time. The bigger hollow pointer is the course selector. So in Waypoint mode it shows you on which course you are supposed to be flying. Are both aligned you are on track, do they differ you can read the angle off track.
In the ADF Mode the Hollow pointer just points to 12 o'clock (at least as far as i could find out)
The channel switch switch biggrin allows you to select one of the 2 frequencies you have dialed in. so the small pointer points to NDB 1 and after you switch it to NDB 2. This way you can take cross bearings and get a fix on your position.

(Correct me if I'm wrong alex ^^)

Last edited by GAFflyer; 01/18/15 08:38 PM.
#4065717 - 01/18/15 08:40 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

Quote:
Do the DISS counters increment in all avionics difficulty modes, or just Realistic? On Advanced, I'm not noticing any increment/decrement with the counters enabled.

if orange lamp is lights, at least one counter should change it's value (usually FWD). if you not hovering of course.

ARK-15 has only one receiver and one pair of directional and non-directional antennas. so you can receive signal only from one station in same time. channel switch just change frequency of the receiver. second needle of radio-magnetic indicator can be used only with two receivers, inoperate in Hind as I know. by emergency ADF (ARK-U2, for rescue missions) or by route direction finder (Hind doesn't have it).

Last edited by thealx; 01/19/15 04:08 PM.
#4065730 - 01/18/15 09:04 PM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
NutsnBolts Offline
Needs moar Mi-24
NutsnBolts  Offline
Needs moar Mi-24

York, UK
No worries, I figured out the DISS thing - I only looked at the counters at the beginning and end of a mission - and naturally, they read zero! sigh I finally bothered to check them in flight and they were, indeed, spinning slowly around.

I think I understand with the radiocompass. So what I can't do is check my bearing relative to two stations simultaneously; what I can do, is switch frequencies and take bearings from the two stations I'm tuned to, then see if they match up with where I want to be.

#4065948 - 01/19/15 08:14 AM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
SKIP2008 Offline
SKIP2008  Offline

ITALY
Hi Thealx, when you say impossible to lock on target with any AH64D's EO system you mean the green box in the middle of the screen when i switch the ORT? If i use the mfd i can quietly lock targets.

#4065967 - 01/19/15 09:52 AM Re: Cockpits improvement program [Re: thealx]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

There's some great work going on with this project. I know I posted that I'd have to leave my blackhawk project, but reading this has inspired me to try and get it more finished, and then it could maybe be picked up as part of this cockpit improvement program.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.