Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4063479 - 01/13/15 07:17 PM Into the Lungs of Hell  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Another fun (yet oddly named, bowels, yeah, but lungs?) mission offering from the Steam Workshop: LINK!

The first phase of the mission is to take a load of troops in our Mi-48 and insert them near the front lines into a hot LZ. Resources are limited, so we need to be careful with our equipment…

Our PO-30 Orca and Mi-48 stand by at our base…

The Mi-48 Kajman is a pretty fun helicopter. An attack helo that also carries troops in a lower compartment (much like the Mi-28 does)…

Off we go…

You can see the troops stuffed into the lower cargo/passenger compartment…

The guys are so battle hardened they sleep on the way to the insertion…

Green smoke marks the LZ. A few shots zip by from the compound on the far side of the hill ahead…

As the troops unload, we are prompted to go participate in the assault. Probably a bad idea, but what the heck…

We advance toward the top of the hill. The more forward troops start engaging as they crest the top…

I pick a spot near the crest of the hill and start firing into the compound. I see a couple guys running around, but I don’t hit them…

The rest of the squad keeps assaulting and I’m given the all clear to detach and return to my helicopter. I work my way back down the hill and the squad mops up on the hilltop…

The next mission comes down the pipe to go perform some CAS up to the northwest. Special Forces have popped smoke on the target they want us to engage, so we fire up and head that way…

As we approach the area my gunner opens up on some targets…

Things get a bit interesting as a few missiles streak up from the coast. I pop flares and that decoys them, but I get into a bit of VRS, fortunately just avoiding the water as I pull out of it…

I spot the clusters of red smoke and start pouring rockets and cannon onto them…

No more anti-aircraft fire bothers us, so we orbit the red smoke and train the gun on the area and lay down rounds until we hit the defenders and are cleared off target…

After the CAS we have been hit a couple times and my engine is showing yellow caution.. I consider heading back to base to repair when then next order comes in - a recon team has been ambushed and requires immediate extraction. I decide to risk it and head for the extraction despite my damaged engine..

On our way to the extraction we pass over the hill we assaulted earlier. It looks like our troops have secured the site...

The extraction is a few kilometers into enemy territory and the requirement is to stay very, very low or you get blasted out of the sky (as I discovered..)

The extraction site is in the town near the smoke in the center. I pick my way toward it carefully..watching for obstacles and trying to keep as low as possible. Absolutely awesomely fun helicopter flying...

The recon squad pops smoke and I see they have picked a small courtyard. A tight fit (at least to me) but we get down safely..

C'mon boys..hurry up!

They all climb aboard and it's time to power out..

As we leave I can see where the recon team was ambushed..

We head for the north coast and as we head offshore we spot an enemy patrol boat. I lock him up and fire a missile...

Approaching home base I actually crash three times in a row from VRS. I'm assuming that the heavy weight of the troops and my ailing engine are the cause because I can barely hold a hover with full power and once I get into VRS I don't have enough power to move forward and muscle my way out of it. After a few tries I finally get soft enough on the controls to get it done..

A fantastic mission design and fun. About 30 minutes worth of flying with a few different and varied objectives. I would have liked for it to generate more missions, but it was great while it lasted. I have to say, the Russian helicopters seem a lot more fun to me in this game than the Western/NATO ones. The Mi-48 Kajman, the Taru, and the Orca are all a lot of fun to fly..

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4063491 - 01/13/15 08:00 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Simply outstanding! thumbsup

#4063557 - 01/13/15 11:32 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Beach, your AARs are works of art. I never get tired of seeing what you're up to. Would love to get A3, but standalone. No Steam

Jeff

#4063560 - 01/13/15 11:35 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Cool AAR. Nice mission design...

H

[Linked Image]
#4063670 - 01/14/15 08:55 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
[...]The Mi-48 Kajman[...]

They named a helicopter after the nickname of your son????

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4063683 - 01/14/15 10:24 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Great AAR as always!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4064531 - 01/16/15 05:38 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Awesome AAR.

I subscribed to the mission. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Rangers Lead the Way
#4064699 - 01/16/15 03:50 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Bandit4 Offline
Bandit4  Offline

Ok guys. I just got into ARMA 3..I am also looking for a helicopter sim to play. I have DCS BS, EECH, Longbow 2 but I just want something different.
looking at these after action reports makes me want to try the heli part of ARMA3.
What do you need? the DLC? Missions? or is it all in the game already?
Thanks for the help!

#4064710 - 01/16/15 04:20 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: Bandit4]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Originally Posted By: Bandit4
Ok guys. I just got into ARMA 3..I am also looking for a helicopter sim to play. I have DCS BS, EECH, Longbow 2 but I just want something different.
looking at these after action reports makes me want to try the heli part of ARMA3.
What do you need? the DLC? Missions? or is it all in the game already?
Thanks for the help!

Hi Bandit,

I would start off with the in game tutorials and missions, just so you get a feel for flying them. You would then have a better idea if it was worth you downloading the DLC or not.

I have just started to get back into A3 as well and also like flying the heli's. I Downloaded the Armed Forces Of The Russian Federation mod and it is really good as it has the heli's from Arma 2 in it.

Here is the link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27150

I don't have any links for heli specific missions so maybe someone else could help but I'm sure they are plenty out there.

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4064786 - 01/16/15 07:31 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Bandit4 Offline
Bandit4  Offline

Thanks for the help and response, 3instein!

I am going to go into the game now and see if I can find helo tutorials. I never really played A3 much after I bought it. It looks fantastic though. Beach's AAR's look like it is even better too! THX Beach!
Ill try that mod too..Thx!

#4064808 - 01/16/15 08:29 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Played it this morning.

Made it to the CAS part and received 4x rockets while traveling up the coast. The first two were led astray by flares. I didn't get so lucky with the third. I was flying low and had just fired 20x 30mm AP rounds into a fast boat.

Are we supposed to attack on foot during the second task? I did, only because that's what you did in your AAR, but on the next go I'm going just engage those dismounts with 30mm HE.

Last edited by Apocalypse31; 01/16/15 08:49 PM.

Rangers Lead the Way
#4064922 - 01/17/15 12:50 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
<g> I *think* it means for you to participate on foot. At least, that was the way I interpreted it, but I could be totally wrong..lol..

Would comment more, but been up since 4:30am flying all day and am beat.. Will post tomorrow!

goodnight

#4064975 - 01/17/15 03:24 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

I played it a second time, and was much more successful.

I did not dismount the bird, and instead pumped 30mm HE into the enemy on top of the hill. Task Accomplished. Why would I get out of an armored killing machine and get into a fist fight with enemy grunts?

I changed my direction of approach during the CAS mission, and attacked from the West, over the water. Sure enough, I still received MANPAD fire, this time only 3 missiles. I used my entire load of flares, but successfully dodged all of them.

I completed the CAS mission, rearmed, then extracted the recon squad. I felt bad going home with all of that fresh ordinance, so I went hunting. I ending up scoring 2x tanks, 3x IFVs, 2x HEMMTs, and 2x boats before heading home.

Good mission.

Rangers Lead the Way
#4065029 - 01/17/15 10:30 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: Apocalypse31]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
I played it a second time, and was much more successful.

Cool. Good news..!

I did not dismount the bird, and instead pumped 30mm HE into the enemy on top of the hill. Task Accomplished. Why would I get out of an armored killing machine and get into a fist fight with enemy grunts?

LOL..because you can! Heck, I was thinking about commandeering one of those armored vehicles that was sitting at the road near the LZ and driving it up there. (Actually, I don't know if those were set as "playable" by the mission designer). That is the beauty of a sandbox game though - you can think of a dozen different ways to do the same thing.

I changed my direction of approach during the CAS mission, and attacked from the West, over the water. Sure enough, I still received MANPAD fire, this time only 3 missiles. I used my entire load of flares, but successfully dodged all of them.

Yeah, I had my success attacking from low altitude over the water too..

I completed the CAS mission, rearmed, then extracted the recon squad. I felt bad going home with all of that fresh ordinance, so I went hunting. I ending up scoring 2x tanks, 3x IFVs, 2x HEMMTs, and 2x boats before heading home.

Yeah - my mission actually ended on accident because I went back to base to fix that orange engine light. I didn't realize that it would end the mission (I actually thought the mission would task a few more things..but it is a short and sweet one)..

I agree - a lot of fun... I wish there were a lot more helicopter missions for Arma 3. Hopefully we'll see more now that the helo DLC is out there..

BeachAV8R

#4065575 - 01/18/15 04:29 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Beach,

Check these out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176755778&searchtext=close+air
This is a dynamic CCA mission, much like the RobJ missions. You can pilot any of the rotary wing aircraft and respond to calls for CCA (CAS). Each tasking also has an interactive JTAC (pop smoke, provide SITREP)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250649307&searchtext=close+air
This is apparently based off of a real Afghanistan mission where a SOF team is in contact. The author even used the actual radio traffic from the mission. Nice mission, and the radio traffic is a nice touch, but I find it very difficult. I played it twice and lost both times. I strafed all of the targets that I could see, and observed:
a) the enemy, at times, seemed invulnerable to my fire
b) the enemy continued to spawn in the kill zone
c) there is no way to tell where the enemy is located. There will be red smoke to mark targets, and the entire time I thought I was doing well, when suddenly I was informed that the ground force was overrun.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Edit - Mission notes
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Some people have asked questions about how many OPFOR need to be taken out to succeed in the mission. The answer is: none. As long as you suppress the OPFOR enough for BLUFOR to make it to the extract choppers and get off the ground, you're golden. In my experience, if there are more than 5 OPFOR, it's probably not going to happen, but it is uncertain since it's dynamic and happens differently each time. Remember though, BLUFOR are out of ammo... they'll get shot in the back making their way to extract if you don't suppress well enough. The timing of when BLUFOR moves to extract is variable as well. It depends on how close OPFOR is getting, etc. You'll hear CCT say 'We're moving! We're moving South!' when they actually move. I achieve this through variable timing between radio calls, and making the actual move event consistent with the 'moving' radio call in the sqf.

Last edited by Apocalypse31; 01/18/15 04:34 PM.

Rangers Lead the Way
#4065599 - 01/18/15 05:12 PM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Wow. Cool. There are some real gems interspersed with the crud on the Steam Workshop. Thanks for those links..they look interesting. I love a good mission design! Will report back...

BeachAV8R

#4065925 - 01/19/15 05:46 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Sleazey Offline
Sleazey  Offline

Houston, TX, USA
Phooey. Can't see any of the pictures. I try again tomorrow. explode

#4065979 - 01/19/15 10:37 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: Sleazey]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Sleazey
Phooey. Can't see any of the pictures. I try again tomorrow. explode

Unfortunately, they won't be there tomorrow either. My image host is undergoing a major migration - so for the time being, all of my linked content will be offline indefinitely.

BeachAV8R

#4075820 - 02/09/15 04:15 AM Re: Into the Lungs of Hell [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Sleazey Offline
Sleazey  Offline

Houston, TX, USA
Yay! Finally could see the piccies. Now I have several AAR's to catch up on.

Thanks Beach!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.