Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4006765 - 09/08/14 04:13 PM X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ?  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Hi Folks,
I was wondering if anyone had made the jump from an X52 Pro to a X55 ?
I have been debating getting one and was wanting the thoughts of a fellow simmer
who has done this.

Thanks

Editing this post because I have owned an X55 for a while now .. my thoughts

One step forward ... 2 steps back (Or if you have an X52/X52 pro stick with what you got)

Having owned the X52 (since first release) and also owned an X52 Pro (since first release)
here are my thoughts on transitioning from X52 Pro to an X55

The good
1. Main stick is great very precise
2. Lots of buttons / toggles on both throttle and stick
3. Now we have 4 rotary knobs when X52 had 2
4. Has split throttles

The Bad
1. Loss of left mini slider , was a really handy feature
2. Left mini mouse stick very very loose (tried 2 different units so far)
3. Requires 2 USB ports
4. Mode selector switch not as easy to get to as X52
5. Mouse scroll wheel not as good as X52 eg not able to press on it, roll only
6. Top hat switch on main stick is practically useless unless you have freakishly large hands
7. Toggle 1 - 4 position is not great
8. The split throttle combiner switch is very flimsy (scared I would break it a fwe times)
9. Programming software is far worse than the olde X52 software eg no way to add new shift state !!! seriously???
It is so handy to be able to create a new state eg hold pinky in and press another button for a completely different function
Why this feature is not in the SST software is a total mystery

So near and yet so far , great precision in the main stick but ..... so lacking in features
to make this the stick of all sticks, such a shame really

All in all , the X52 / X52 Pro is a much better stick than the X-55

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 10/02/15 06:37 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4006870 - 09/08/14 08:47 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
I am about to make an x-52 to x-55 transition. I'll let you know how it goes when my wife lets me hahaha

#4007007 - 09/09/14 01:20 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
H1TMAN_ACTUA1 Offline
Dustin G
H1TMAN_ACTUA1  Offline
Dustin G

Newport beach CA
X55 is the best bang for your buck HOTAS system. X52 was not good IMO

Also I prefer the X55 throttle over the Warthog.

NZXT H440: WIN 8.1pro(UEFI)(G-sync)
EVGA X79-DARK: 4930k(GTX980)ROG swift PG278Q-Gsync
EVGA X79-SLI: 3930K(GTX980)Acer XB270H-Gsync
2xOCZ VECTOR SSD:
G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28:
SOUND BLASTER Z:
Thrustmaster Warthog\X55 HOTAS:MFG crosswind\Saitek-combat-pro rudder pedals:TrackIR
#4007379 - 09/09/14 06:21 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: H1TMAN_ACTUA1]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
Originally Posted By: H1TMAN_ACTUA1
X55 is the best bang for your buck HOTAS system. X52 was not good IMO

It depends where/when you got it. I got mine for $20 at a yard sale biggrin

#4017525 - 10/03/14 10:23 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

Has anyone any info on this

Has someone made the transition between X52 -> X55 ?

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4017641 - 10/03/14 04:47 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I've been looking for a good replacement for my very old MSFF2 joystick for years. I've bought them all and still have an CH Fighterstick, Thrustmaster Cougar, and Logitech G940 in the closet. I returned the Warthog, and threw the X52 in the garbage. The X55 is much better than the X52 in every aspect. Joystick isn't better than the MSFF2, and the throttle isn't as good as the Cougars throttle, and software, but overall the X55 a decent package, which currently suits my needs, especially flying with the Oculus Rift.

edit...if one were available, I definitely look at the russian VKB joystick, and combine it with the Cougar throttle.

Last edited by Chivas; 10/03/14 04:52 PM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4019016 - 10/07/14 12:39 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: Chivas]  
VIKBELL Offline
VIKBELL  Offline

GULF COAST TEXAS
Yes I think a good replacement for the X=52.

#4033936 - 11/09/14 10:01 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

I returned the X55 I bought and went back to using my trusty X52 Pro

Far too many issues with it as it stands

The X52 Pro is a much better product

#4062639 - 01/11/15 08:17 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
RhinoX55 Offline
RhinoX55  Offline

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
I did.

Been die-hard Saitek for many years, X45 to X52, and now X55.

Wife got me X55 for Christmas. That's part of my motivation for keeping it. But, in the grand scheme of things, I can't say that I strongly recommend converting from X52 to X55.

First, let me say this: if you don't like Saitek products, you won't like the X55. I'm not going to debate Warthogs and Cougars vs. X55. If you're in the USD $500 HOTAS market, these are not the controllers you're looking for. Move along. The question was X52 vs. X55, and those will be the boundaries of my discussion.

Some observations;

- Most of what you like about X52 you will still find in X55. Somewhat affordable full-featured HOTAS arrangement with more than enough buttons and switches to cover the bases in any sim you're flying. The programming software works mostly the same.

- My main beef with the X52 (and X45) was that they did not look like proper aircraft controls. They look like spaceship controls or something. I found myself a bit embarrassed on the occasion when, after describing myself as a 'serious' flight simulator pilot, showing someone my desk-pit. The X52 just looked more like a video game console joystick. Now, with the X55 attached to my desk, I'm almost anxious to show someone. There's no mistaking that their function is to fly combat aircraft.

- In terms of buttons and switches; without actually counting them, there is not significantly more to work with on the X55. Both the X52 and X55 give you more than you will need, especially if you use the mode switch.

- X55 is split throttle. X52 is not. If you don't fly anything that's twin engine, this doesn't matter. Even if you do fly the P-38 (in IL2) for example, it's cool to have a throttle handle for each engine, though 99% of the time you operate them together anyway. The split throttle is cool, though not nearly as substantial a feature as I envisioned it would be.

- Here's the worst part, though Saitek claims it is a selling feature: the stick and throttle are two separate USB devices. The cannot be combined as one device with the programming software as I had hoped. Saitek says this provides the user with greater flexibility, if say you wanted to use only the stick or the throttle. I'm not going to say that nobody would ever want to do this, but I'd like to think that the target audience for the feature would be pretty damned small. Why does this "feature" suck?

a) For some older sims, they cannot recognize the throttle axis as being on a separate device as the stick X and Y axes. You may simply no longer be able to fly some older stuff you were using the X52 for.

b) Some sims have a maximum number of USB devices they can see. IL2 has a hard limit of 4 USB devices it can recognize. And you can't choose which ones. IL2 picks the 4 it wants to see. This might not be a big deal, but it was for me. I had to unplug and retire my CH Throttle Quadrant unit just to allow the X55 to work in IL2.

- The X55 friction lock is kinda funky. It's not consistent. Even at the lightest setting, it it pretty stiff to move at first, but at any setting, as you move it back and forth a few times, it loosens up to almost no friction. Then when you stop moving it, and after a couple of minutes, it frictions-up again. It's hard to describe. You almost have to feel it for yourself.

- I like the metal toggle switches. They look and feel good. I've seen some reviews/complaints from people saying, "they're not true on/off switches! They snap back to the middle position!" And right they are! But this is for SIM aircraft, which mostly require MOMENTARY keypresses to operate aircraft functions. Yes, you could program on/off toggles to generate momentary keypresses using the software, but in 'naked' (unprogrammed) mode, you would end up with DirectX keypresses that are always pressed. Each toggle is a momentary contact switch with two 'activate' positions and a center neutral position.

- The X52 mode switch is on the stick. The X55 mode switch is on the throttle base. Though the X55 stick and throttle are two separate USB devices, when plugged in at the same time, they are programmed under one profile, and the mode switch works on both.

- The mouse nipple on the X55 is a real pain in the ass. The way it is designed, it's hard to find the 'natural' up/down/left/right positions with your thumb. I have to fiddle with it to get the TDC where I want it. Was not a problem with the X52.

- The X55 throttle has two thumb hat switches that can be set as 4-way or 8-way hats. They, too, are pains in the ass. It's nearly impossible to hit the position you want without accidentally hitting others. They should have been 2-position toggles, also. I have them programmed as 4-ways, but I only use 2 of them, making them essentially 2-position toggles.

- The stick has 'phantom' buttons. When you look at the Windows stick properties, you can click all the buttons and check them. But you will also see buttons 15, 16, and 17. There are no buttons 15, 16, and 17. Turns out they represent the position of the MODE switch on the throttle base. By that means, you can actually program a function to occur when you cycle the MODE switch (e.g. change to A/A mode, A/G mode, etc.). SEEMS like that would be a good feature, but one problem. When 'naked' (no profile loaded), one of the buttons is always ON. That screws things up sometimes when trying to assign buttons in the sim. The sim always sees button 15 pressed. [I devised a solution but it's kinda complicated. In each profile, I first unassign the MODE switch in Mode 1, and then re-assign it. Not sure why it works, but it does. Now when I activate a profile, the Button 15 keypress goes away.]

- X55 programming software now also provide ability to set curves for each axis. Don't want a linear response curve? You can adjust it nearly anyway you want. I found the rotaries on the X52 to be too sensitive to work well for aileron trim in IL2. Move it the tiniest bit, and the plane is rolling hard one way or the other. I set an X55 rotary for aileron trim, and gave it a very flat response curve in the middle. Now it is not nearly as sensitive and I can tweak the trim just a hair.

- X55 software also lets you adjust deadzones for each axis and rotary.

- There's no LCD screen on the X55. Who cares? I dunno. Maybe somebody cares.

- The changeable stick tension spring is cooler than I expected it to be. I've never been particularly concerned about how much force it takes to move the stick, however it is a deal breaker for some sim pilots. The X55 gives you 5 options for stick centering force; 4 different springs, or none for zero centering force. I ended up using the smallest (weakest) spring, which feels best to me.

- Like the X52, the X55 has a twisty-stick for rudder if you don't have pedals and you want to use it. However, the X55 does NOT have a lock-out button for the twist. It takes conscious effort to twist it, though, and I have not found it to be a problem in combat at all.

Having the X55 for a few weeks now, would I again make the decision to jump from X52 to X55? Probably not. There's just not enough functional difference to make a difference. But... I'm glad I have it now and I am committed to using it and making it work for what I fly. It's just been much more challenging to do so than I had anticipated. And relearning all of the switches and buttons is rough no matter how you slice it. My fingers are still working from muscle memory and trying to hit the X52 buttons they'd been pressing for about 8 years. They're not there anymore.

"Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value."
- Ferdinand Foch, Supreme Commander of Allied Forces, WWI
#4062715 - 01/12/15 01:18 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Good write up Rhino.

I also made the switch from x52 to x55 just before Christmas and am fairly happy with it.

I also had the same problem with the sticky throttles as you and being the compulsive tweaker that I am I opened it up to see what the problem was.
The grease they used is horrible and more like glue so I cleaned it out as best I could and re greased it and now the throttle friction is just fine. On the lowest level there very lite with just enough friction to stop them moving on there own and on the highest setting there heavy enough to make the whole unit move across the desk if I'm not careful.

The only other thing is the stick grip is a bit long IMO making the top coolie hat a bit hard to reach with my thumb without moving my hand up the stick.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4063080 - 01/12/15 08:57 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
RhinoX55 Offline
RhinoX55  Offline

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe
I also had the same problem with the sticky throttles as you and being the compulsive tweaker that I am I opened it up to see what the problem was.
The grease they used is horrible and more like glue so I cleaned it out as best I could and re greased it and now the throttle friction is just fine.

Would you please share what you used to remove the original 'lube' and what you subsequently re-greased it with? I intend to open mine up and do similar. I'm guessing that some silicone grease is the best bet.

#4063151 - 01/12/15 11:18 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Video opening X-55 Throttle (void warranty!)

Opening the stick:

#4063192 - 01/13/15 01:08 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: RhinoX55]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Originally Posted By: RhinoX55
Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe
The grease they used is horrible and more like glue so I cleaned it out as best I could and re greased it and now the throttle friction is just fine.

Would you please share what you used to remove the original 'lube' and what you subsequently re-greased it with? I intend to open mine up and do similar. I'm guessing that some silicone grease is the best bet.

I just used lots of q-tips and tissue to clean out the old grease and used some lithium grease I already had laying about to re grease it.
I think silicon grease should be fine too if that's what you have.

As mentioned it the video that Sokol1 linked to the original grease is really thick and sticky and there's loads of it.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4063341 - 01/13/15 12:22 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
RhinoX55 Offline
RhinoX55  Offline

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Thanks for the advice and video links, guys. It's interesting to see other guys describe the throttle friction as 'inconsistent' also. The "goop" heats up a little bit as you move the throttle back and forth, drastically reducing the friction. Stop moving it for a few seconds, the goop cools down a shade and suddenly it's like thick molasses again.

I will be taking mine apart and removing as much of the goop as I can.

#4063702 - 01/14/15 01:05 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
SFViper19D Offline
Forum Scout
SFViper19D  Offline
Forum Scout

Goshen, IN.
Nice post Rhino. I'm 99% positive I'll pick up a X55 when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)
#4065727 - 01/18/15 09:01 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
RhinoX55 Offline
RhinoX55  Offline

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Did the throttle mod. Opened it up and scraped out as much of the sticky goop as possible. It's like super thick and sticky honey or something. Nasty stuff. Impossible to get it all off, but removing most of it and loading the slot with lithium grease worked as advertised. The throttle movement is now very smooth and effortless, with just enough resistance to prevent the throttle handles from moving on their own. I'd prefer a little bit more resistance, but it's a darned sight better than it was.

#4121231 - 05/17/15 11:49 AM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

What about all the reports of these sticks breaking? I wanted to get one until I read the user reviews on Amazon and other vendors.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4121242 - 05/17/15 12:51 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
RhinoX55 Offline
RhinoX55  Offline

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
I can't answer for reviews on Amazon, I can only offer my personal experience.

I've been using the X55 for about 5 months now. I fly nearly every day. It has not broken. However, I never broke any of my X52s or X45, either. Just wore out the pots over time.

If you're a ham-fisted pilot and tend to slam your stick around, enough to actually break a plastic stick like X52, the X55 is probably not for you.

[EDIT]

I see some of the Quality Control complaints on the Amazon reviews. All I can say is that I did not personally experience any of them. My X55 worked properly out of the box and continues to do so. Stick moves fine, does not creak or bind. All buttons and switches continue to function properly.

Last edited by RhinoX55; 05/17/15 01:00 PM. Reason: Added comments

#4121297 - 05/17/15 04:22 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Thanks, that is reassuring and I am leaning more into picking one of these up.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4133291 - 06/12/15 10:35 PM Re: X52 Pro -> X55 anyone made this transition ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

Going to give this a go again, hopefully will have better luck this time
Iam willing to risk £100 in the hope it will work

ETA is monday

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.