Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4061737 - 01/09/15 07:46 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Hey Pooch...better hope American Airlines doesn't go belly up, or that "Full Medical" is gone.
Along with a big chunk of your pension check.
It worked that way with me..... wink And our pension was backed up by the Michigan Constitution.
But our Governor failed to hold up his end of the deal, he back stabbed us. Set a president for other states, and pensions, as it was done in Federal Court, we took it as far as we could. Beware people. wink

Wish they'd have let us put into Social Security, instead of a private pension.

"Murphy's Law"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4061742 - 01/09/15 07:54 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Yeah, it's a concern. But all we can do is keep our eyes on what's going on and watch what happens. I can't help thinking that they will have a hard time justifying it when they're spending so much money. They're repainting the entire fleet.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4061744 - 01/09/15 08:01 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Yeah, the Mayor of Detroit was spending lots of money too.
Our pension money...lol....
Then we had the State do an audit.

Then he went to jail.

Paybacks are a 3itch. wink

But it doesn't get us our money back.
Or our, "Guaranteed Healthcare for Life".... rolleyes

"Murphy's Law"
#4061750 - 01/09/15 08:13 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
That's why it's almost always better to take care of your own finances and destiny than to have some government bureaucracy "take care" of it for you.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4061797 - 01/09/15 09:22 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Murphy]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Murphy
Sure, come on up Hag!
I've already got the security camera, actually motion sensors, eight of them, that light up and have audio alarms.
We should make a bet, how close to the house you can get!
I should have you about 5 feet from the fence line, and I've got 2 acres fenced in all around the home.
Careful of the 2200 volt live wires on top and bottom though.....the bears didn't like that much. wink But it did keep them in line, along with the rubber sabots, if you recall...lol...

Seriously Hag....you'll find you don't have enough time, to do the things you want to.
Don't wait till you "Can't" do those things. A mistake many people make IMHO.
I retired at 47 years old. 25 years in Detroit was like a lifetime. wink
Money now keeps me from travel, losing my pension didn't help. No social security.

Built this place up here, roads in the back, fenced it in and created a 2 acre yard, garden, landscaping...etc.

Use your imagination. But above all, keep physically busy. Keep moving, or you'll never get off the couch.
That, will kill you.

I remember seeing a news clip on Detroit's financial troubles.
Cant believe you guys got screwed over so bad I don't know how it works in the states.
But I was a local government employee for ten years in the UK
If the city I worked for had the same issues the employees would have brought the city to a stand still
Till some money was found to cover the pensions. did the federal goverment not do anything to help

#4061816 - 01/09/15 10:11 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
The Federal Government were the ones that ruled they don't have to pay us the full pension, just partial.
We fought it to the Federal Courts. Our Michigan Governor allowed them to jump right over the State Constitution.
Which protected our pensions.

The Federal Courts also ruled we have 'NO' healthcare anymore from the City of Detroit. They don't have to uphold their obligations to us. We bailed the city out. That was the largest obligation they had in Detroit.
They now give employees a cash payment to purchase healthcare with. We got nothing.

We have to somehow find a way to pay for our healthcare, which was a big part of our retirement agreement, or take the 'free' ObamaCare, that has a $5,000.00 a year deductible. And if you don't 'buy' that, they fine you.
My 'free' ObamaCare, is about $250 a month, for me and the wife. I can't afford it. My pension 'was' a little above $20 grand a year.
And who needs healthcare, with a $5,000 deductible!

So we've found private insurance, it doesn't pay anything, but it gets us out of the 'fine', for not having health insurance.

The whole thing is a joke, a joke on people who previously had good healthcare.

Sad. Especially when your retired, and have no options at this stage in your life.
Looks like 'culling' the herd to me.
Just the way it is.

Hope people learn from this. wink

They are now planning on going from city to city, doing the same or worse to the retired employees.
Firemen, Police Officers, any employees of the city.

Their goal is to take the healthcare from them, then start over with a clean budget.
It's a way of dodging all the promises they've made.

Legally....pay attention here...this sets a legal president in regards to pension obligations.
Cities no longer have any. NO city.
So stand by folks....it's coming wink
Detroit was just first. And maybe we got the best deal that's coming down the pipe. wink

Stand by USA..... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4061821 - 01/09/15 10:25 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
A little over four years and I'm eligible. My friends say "you can't fish every day". Perhaps, but I'm willing to give it a shot...

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#4061823 - 01/09/15 10:26 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
That's why it's almost always better to take care of your own finances and destiny than to have some government bureaucracy "take care" of it for you.

We didn't have an option.
When I hired in, it was part of the paycheck.
We had an $80.00 a month deduction for our private 'healthcare' and pension plan.
They did not offer anything else, we had no choice to 'opt out'.
No way we could have 'bought' any supplemental insurance with a $900 a month paycheck.

This 'stealing' people's pensions is new.
Never been done before in the history of this country.
In 1970, nobody had a clue 'anyone' would ever do this to it's citizens.
It was unheard of.

Now.....not so much.
Times change...and we learn.
I was 22 years old.

I've learned.
So will this country.

Careful who you vote for. wink

Edit;
Oh, and BTW, I did "take care of myself", by putting some away each payday, and investing it wisely. If not for that I'd be living in a cardboard box. wink

Last edited by Murphy; 01/09/15 10:29 PM.

"Murphy's Law"
#4061824 - 01/09/15 10:27 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Yes. Big companies are no better than the government. They work the same way and have the same opinion of their employees.
If it wasn't for unions, I wouldn't have a pension or health insurance. People who are anti-union don't understand that. American would love to do to us what the city did to you guys. They just can't because of contract agreements. But they're trying.
They're claiming poverty and buying new planes and repainting the fleet. I lost respect for the company years before I retired. It was one of the reasons I took the deal so quickly. I'd been dying to get out for a long time. I hadn't been happy for a while.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4061825 - 01/09/15 10:27 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Murphy]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Murphy
The Federal Government were the ones that ruled they don't have to pay us the full pension, just partial.
We fought it to the Federal Courts. Our Michigan Governor allowed them to jump right over the State Constitution.
Which protected our pensions.

The Federal Courts also ruled we have 'NO' healthcare anymore from the City of Detroit. They don't have to uphold their obligations to us. We bailed the city out. That was the largest obligation they had in Detroit.
They now give employees a cash payment to purchase healthcare with. We got nothing.

We have to somehow find a way to pay for our healthcare, which was a big part of our retirement agreement, or take the 'free' ObamaCare, that has a $5,000.00 a year deductible. And if you don't 'buy' that, they fine you.
My 'free' ObamaCare, is about $250 a month, for me and the wife. I can't afford it. My pension 'was' a little above $20 grand a year.
And who needs healthcare, with a $5,000 deductible!

So we've found private insurance, it doesn't pay anything, but it gets us out of the 'fine', for not having health insurance.

The whole thing is a joke, a joke on people who previously had good healthcare.

Sad. Especially when your retired, and have no options at this stage in your life.
Looks like 'culling' the herd to me.
Just the way it is.

Hope people learn from this. wink

They are now planning on going from city to city, doing the same or worse to the retired employees.
Firemen, Police Officers, any employees of the city.

Their goal is to take the healthcare from them, then start over with a clean budget.
It's a way of dodging all the promises they've made.

Legally....pay attention here...this sets a legal president in regards to pension obligations.
Cities no longer have any. NO city.
So stand by folks....it's coming wink
Detroit was just first. And maybe we got the best deal that's coming down the pipe. wink

Stand by USA..... wink

That is one sorry state of affairs murphy. for people who spent there lives helping other citizens
They bail the banks out to the tune of hundreds billions telling people there no other way (happened here in Ireland with the banks As well) sorry don't mean to get political or go off topic

#4061831 - 01/09/15 10:37 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
It's OK marko, it's not 'politics', it's 'personal',....from me, to the members here.

Just a warning to people who are unaware, thinking "Oh, it's only Detroit, who cares..."
Because that's what they want.
The set the standard in Detroit.
Federal Court

Now the rest will follow right down the line, but maybe not such a 'good' deal.
The cities in this country are not in good shape.
They need a way to 'restart'....and the only way in on the backs of it's retiree's.

This is a personal message to anyone close to retirement age.
Best not plan on your promises, put some aside on your own, no matter what.
Or keep working.
Panzer is right.

Promises mean nothing anymore.

That's not politics....that's a personal message to members here.
Live and learn. wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4061967 - 01/10/15 05:05 AM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
yea you guys are right - hopefully retirement will bring along new things to get into - I should be more positive about it. And Murphy what they did to you - is simply not right

nope

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4061981 - 01/10/15 06:26 AM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Well, Hag, I'm almost 70 and my wife is 9 years younger than me. We work together in our real estate franchise, and quite frankly I have zero desire to stop working and sit at home.

We're not rich, but quite well off compared with most folk, but retirement is not an option....I just don't know what we'd do. We could buy a caravan and become "grey nomads", but I like being with my books and IT systems etc.

We will work on as long as it's fun, profitable and our (my) health holds up.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4061992 - 01/10/15 07:21 AM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Just play...

FFFFLLLLLIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTSSSSIIIMMMMSSSS!!!!!

biggrin

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4062034 - 01/10/15 10:52 AM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
I have 4 1/2 years before I can retire. Things I have planned are building my pit, guns, fixing up my car, vacations and hanging out with the wife and kids.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#4062068 - 01/10/15 01:18 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
M Max ..... "We're not rich, but quite well off compared with most folk, but retirement is not an option....I just don't know what we'd do"

Not sure what to make of that statement Max. You're quite well off - meaning financially as long as you're working or if you guys retired you would still be in good shape so financially able to retire well ?

There must be plenty to do and see in Australia and elsewhere for retired folks and time to spend with family elsewhere, etc.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4062109 - 01/10/15 02:56 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Plenty to do and see there. Go to the Alps, see where they filmed Heidi and The Sound of Music, visit the old Napoleanic battlefields like, hike to the Saint Bernard Pass, start a garden of Eidelweiss, go to the Oktoberfest celebrations, take a river cruise down the Danube, etc.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4062122 - 01/10/15 03:29 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Hey OG.....I've been to the "Oktoberfest celebrations", in Sefeld{sp?) Austria.
Took a 30 day 'basket' furlough, with some of the Flight Crew, from NAF Sigonella Sicily.
Skied the Alps, and partied all night long. Met some girl from England. Unforgettable. smile
Only 'civi's allowed in a neutral country, took a train, loved that too.

Never had a better time in my life.
Great people, great country, back then.

Good idea, hope everything is still the same over there...... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4062160 - 01/10/15 05:45 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Hag, try getting into "stuff". Don't wait until retirement to get into a hobby. Use the time between now and retirement to get through whatever beginner issues you might have with any potential hobby, so that by the time you get to retirement, you're good enough at it to be able to have fun doing it, rather than getting annoyed about having to learn it (unless you want a challenge)...

...unless your "hobby" is international travel, in which case Las Vegas might be a good place to start.

#4062276 - 01/10/15 10:29 PM Re: Retirement for Me is Eight Years Away - But What Worries Me Most Is What the Hell Would I Do ? [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Just to explain...we're financially OK, but couldn't afford to travel the world continually for the next few years. Anyway we've already travelled extensively. We've also seen most of Australia and feel that we know it well.

Basically we've already seen most of what is the world.

Look...we've a few years left yet, and there are a couple of trips we will still make, to Europe and the States in particular...to see people, not places particularly. I left England when I was 27 and basically have done nothing but live "overseas" ever since. I've had adventures and experiences that most people never have.

Work keeps me sharp, gives me interactions with society...something that most people lose as they get older.

My doc tells me that most old people really want to die, or at least don't put up much of a fight, simply because they feel irrelevant and outside society as a whole. So just curl up at home and die.

I don't want that.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.