Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4060864 - 01/07/15 08:13 PM Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
I posted this in a thread in the FAQ & Reference forum, but perhaps it's more appropriate here:

Probably a stupid question, but I have v2.04, and I noticed whilst installing some of Panama Red's excellent new mods that in JSGME I have an entry for "D3D8 Self Shadowing Mod 20140325".

Is this correct? I thought that Ankor's mod was now an integral part of WOFF v2.00.

If I move this mod from "Activated" to "Available" in JSGME I get a .dll Runtime error whilst a mission is loading (using DX9 Shaders in Workshops; Default Shaders works fine whatever).

If I move the mod back to "Activated" the game runs fine.

All other mods are deactivated in JSGME at the moment whilst I try to resolve this issue.

DX9 is updated as per Pol's detailed instructions.

I considered re-installing everything, but the link to download WOFF v1.0 in my confirmation email from Avangate is dead, and I can't find an activation code anywhere. And yes, I had already deleted the downloads before Pol's warning!

Doh!

Sorry if I'm wasting people's time with this...

Edit: Not sure if this post should have a "Modded Install" prefix or not, since it's about a mod that is now part of the official version, and other mods are disabled in JSGME.Apologies if I've got this wrong.

Last edited by Russkly; 01/07/15 08:30 PM. Reason: Just read Pol's posting guidelines
#4060875 - 01/07/15 08:53 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Currently you should NEVER install an old AnKor's mod from a separate location over WOFF v2.0. WOFF v.2.0 has the latest AnKor dll supplied and configured, built in.

"Is this correct? I thought that Ankor's mod was now an integral part of WOFF v2.00."
Yes it's included but does NOT show up anywhere as a "mod" and is not in JSGME we don't use it - you must have installed an OLD version and which would also replace the Shaders folder with old files.

Other than that yes reinstall we can't help with mods.

So your install is buggered unfortunately.

If you lost your link send a mail to support you will also need to send $5 via the donate button first as it costs us time and bandwith to get these re-issued.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4060889 - 01/07/15 09:27 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Thx Pol.

Wilco.

Not sure how that happened, because I simply installed 2.0 over 1.26 leaving Ankor's mod in JSGME. Perhaps I should have disabled it in JSGME before installing v2.0? Way beyond my understanding.

Oh well, reinstall it is then.

Out of interest why do the Avangate links die? I think this is the only game I have where I'm asked to back up downloads and then pay (albeit a nominal fee) to get the software again. I understand that Avangate charge you, but this is a new one on me.

Perhaps it would be useful to advise customers to back up their downloads in the help notes on the Buy Now page of your website?

I'm guessing the links for the skins pack and the Fokker Scourge add ons will also have expired, so will I neede to donate for these too? I hope the v2.00 link is still active at least.

#4060893 - 01/07/15 09:35 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russkly
Thx Pol.

Wilco.

Not sure how that happened, because I simply installed 2.0 over 1.26 leaving Ankor's mod in JSGME. Perhaps I should have disabled it in JSGME before installing v2.0? Way beyond my understanding.

Always a good idea to deactivate your JSGME mods before any upgrade to the sim! It is very simple to do and easy to re-establish.

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4060898 - 01/07/15 09:41 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Sound advice, Mr Wiggins!

I will do so in future, although Ankor's mod was the only one in JSGME, because I don't normally use mods in any game.

One learns something new each day!

Thx for replying.

#4060902 - 01/07/15 09:46 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
I hope the v2.00 link is still active at least.

Nope, dead too! Just a month old.

How long are they live for?!!

#4060926 - 01/07/15 11:08 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
RamblingSid Offline
RamblingSid  Offline

NSW, Australia
Hi Russkly,

I made exactly the same error with the same results.

I did not have to do a complete reinstall though.

I selected a previous version of WOFF 1.26, deselected
the mods (in my case via JGSME) reinstalled 2.0 and patch,
all was well and it only took 10 mins or so.

Assuming of course that you have ver 2.0 in your downloads file somewhere.

Hth

RS

#4061012 - 01/08/15 07:40 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: RamblingSid]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: RamblingSid
Hi Russkly,

I made exactly the same error with the same results.

I did not have to do a complete reinstall though.

I selected a previous version of WOFF 1.26, deselected
the mods (in my case via JGSME) reinstalled 2.0 and patch,
all was well and it only took 10 mins or so.

Assuming of course that you have ver 2.0 in your downloads file somewhere.

Hth

RS

Thx for replying, Sid.

I do still have the v2.00 download, but nothing before that, so I can't re-install any iteration of v1.00.

R

#4061021 - 01/08/15 09:27 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thx Pol.

Wilco.

Out of interest why do the Avangate links die? I think this is the only game I have where I'm asked to back up downloads and then pay (albeit a nominal fee) to get the software again. I understand that Avangate charge you, but this is a new one on me.

Perhaps it would be useful to advise customers to back up their downloads in the help notes on the Buy Now page of your website?

I'm guessing the links for the skins pack and the Fokker Scourge add ons will also have expired, so will I neede to donate for these too? I hope the v2.00 link is still active at least.

If you have mods installed, then upgrade all bets are off, we only support WOFF, and upgrading or patching with no mods installed. We cannot possibly work out how each mod changes the game and how to support all that. Yes JSGME probably kept an old version of it, and when you ran it again put it back - who knows we don't work it out no time to support mods too.

The links die as they are just a delivery system. i.e. you have around 10-14 days to get the file down and a number of retries. Avangate do offer download insurance but they charge for that too.

We state to make backups in
1) the forum here Sticky Post,
2) in the FAQ (linked from Help and Downloads page) and in your install in Documentation folder, and
3) On the website Buy Now Page.
However I'll consider putting it in more places wink
If your link is under 6 months old we get it done for free the first time.

Like anything you buy you should look after it.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4061023 - 01/08/15 09:37 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
If I am understanding the OP correctly your problem is quite minor.
You installed 2.04 with Ankor's original Dx9 shader mod activated in JGSME thereby overwriting the old shaders with the new good ones. When 2.04 first came out the official instructions were you did not have to remove Ankor's old mod because 2.04 would over write it.

Therefore when you now deactivate the "old" shader mod via JGSME you are ACTUALLY removing the new shaders since the old ones were overwritten upon 2.0; install. Since there was nothing to back-up originally when you deactivate it you have nothing.
I would say just reactivate the "old mod" (actually the new shaders now) and you should be fine - or just copy them direct back into your WOFF install.

EDIT: upon further thought I think my premise above is incorrect. If I deactivate a mod via JGSME is does not copy them back to the mod folder it just deletes them or replaces the old old files that were saved I think.
That's what I get for posting with only one cup of coffee under my belt!

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 01/08/15 10:06 AM.
#4061048 - 01/08/15 11:19 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
If I am understanding the OP correctly your problem is quite minor.
You installed 2.04 with Ankor's original Dx9 shader mod activated in JGSME thereby overwriting the old shaders with the new good ones. When 2.04 first came out the official instructions were you did not have to remove Ankor's old mod because 2.04 would over write it.

Therefore when you now deactivate the "old" shader mod via JGSME you are ACTUALLY removing the new shaders since the old ones were overwritten upon 2.0; install. Since there was nothing to back-up originally when you deactivate it you have nothing.
I would say just reactivate the "old mod" (actually the new shaders now) and you should be fine - or just copy them direct back into your WOFF install.

EDIT: upon further thought I think my premise above is incorrect. If I deactivate a mod via JGSME is does not copy them back to the mod folder it just deletes them or replaces the old old files that were saved I think.

You speak sense!

So, you reckon that the 'new' shader files were actually put into the "Mods" folder that JSGME creates, and that, even though the mod is called "D3D8 Self Shadowing Mod 20140325", it is actually the new v2.00 shaders?

Either way, the game works fine with the mod "Activated" in JSGME (although some of the cloud shadows on the ground have straight edges).

Thanks for your help, Duke, but I'm going to do a fresh install anyway, since I forgot that ArisFuser's clouds mod was also in there but not via JSGME, so I'd like a vanilla copy of WOFF v2.04 with any mods applied only via JSGME.

#4061050 - 01/08/15 11:20 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria

Ah ha!

Oh well, you understand how it works better than I anyway.

Not that that's very difficult.

#4061356 - 01/08/15 11:10 PM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
RamblingSid Offline
RamblingSid  Offline

NSW, Australia
Sorry to hear that Russkly,

Useless advice for your current situation but
if you do have to repurchase, recommend getting
the d/load and the cd.

Good luck
RS

#4061373 - 01/09/15 12:14 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Ah ha!

Oh well, you understand how it works better than I anyway.

Not that that's very difficult.

It replaces the old files that were saved!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4061403 - 01/09/15 01:44 AM Re: Ankor's D3D9 Self Shadowing Mod and v2.04 [Re: Russkly]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Right if the mod overwrites something.
If I add an original file (like Ankor's mod in the pre 2.0 days) I will guess it doesn't copy them back to the mods dolder it probably just deletes them when I deactivate the mod?

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.